Dr. Strange hero and event incoming...

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    He explicitly says it wasn't Feige. Who else but Ike (and technically, the Creative Committee, which Ike was arguably the head of) could have made the decision? Actually, I'll go one step further than that. Ike is supposedly the one in charge of toys in the first place (he came to Marvel after running a toy company, it's kind of his expertise). If it was because of toy sales, then that lends even further credence to it being his decision.

My last words on this as I've helped derail this topic enough (sorry, OP) and really don't want to defend Perlmutter any more than I already have (makes me feel slimy). Even if it came from Ike, and I'm not saying it didn't, it doesn't change the number of female lead projects, across all media, that have come out and continue to come out under his rule. One shouldn't attribute all the negative things to him, but none of the positives just because they don't like him.

Let's find some middle ground, I'm sure will both be plenty happy whenever Disney buys him out.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    He explicitly says it wasn't Feige. Who else but Ike (and technically, the Creative Committee, which Ike was arguably the head of) could have made the decision? Actually, I'll go one step further than that. Ike is supposedly the one in charge of toys in the first place (he came to Marvel after running a toy company, it's kind of his expertise). If it was because of toy sales, then that lends even further credence to it being his decision.

My last words on this as I've helped derail this topic enough (sorry, OP) and really don't want to defend Perlmutter any more than I already have (makes me feel slimy). Even if it came from Ike, and I'm not saying it didn't, it doesn't change the number of female lead projects, across all media, that have come out and continue to come out under his rule. One shouldn't attribute all the negative things to him, but none of the positives just because they don't like him.

Let's find some middle ground, I'm sure will both be plenty happy whenever Disney buys him out.

Captain Marvel was announced in 2014 for what, 2018? Even Black Panther was announced for 2018 (before getting pushed by spidey). So yeah, Marvel gets some credit for pushing minority and female-led properties. They are proudly slotted into the 18th slot!

I don't know that there is anyway to say that Marvel has been proactive when it comes to making movies about anything other than 25-40 year old white guys. They have done it very grudgingly and very late. Hell, DC's movie universe is a flaming trainwreck after just 3 films and they are already in post-production for a female-led film.

I don't know if Perlmutter (or other decision makers at Marvel) are acting with malice, or if they just believe that they are acting on a rational, financial basis and believe that female/minority films won't make money. But either way, they are wrong. It's obviously bigoted to maliciously exclude women/minorities from leading roles, and there is plenty of evidence that such films can and will make plenty of money if they are high quality. Even poor quality properties like twilight or divergent can make money if they serve a substantially underserved market.

It's a substantial blemish on the otherwise pretty solid track-record of Marvel Studios, it doesn't invalidate the good stuff that they have done, but it shouldn't be ignored either.

And in conclusion: How 'bout that latest Dr. Strange trailer! [Insert it looks just like inception joke here!] And would it really kill us for Cumberbatch to use his regular english accent? Why does Dr. Strange have to be American? Is a british doctor in NYC so implausible?
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know that there is anyway to say that Marvel has been proactive when it comes to making movies about anything other than 25-40 year old white guys. They have done it very grudgingly and very late. Hell, DC's movie universe is a flaming trainwreck after just 3 films and they are already in post-production for a female-led film.
    What are you going on about? I grew up in the 90's and pretty much everything that was shown to me in the marvel universe was white people and mostly males, is this a problem sure but it's what they showed. Until the 2000's I didn't know who black panther or Carol dancers is (or any of the ms. Marvel equivalents). Why would they rush straight into making movies about people that aren't their most profitable figures (hulk, captain America, iron man, Thor, spider man) that doesn't make any sense.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Good point! I guess Ike Perlmutter still hates female leads. . .(and probably minority leads too, so Cage must have slipped through!)

(disclaimer: this post is based upon the many many reports about Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter's less-than-progressive statements and policies regarding female and minority characters in the marvel universe).

Devil's Advocate here: Captain Marvel and Black Panther movie were announced when Marvel Studios was still under Perlmutter. AoS (which has had a heavy female cast from day one), the late Agent Carter, JJ, and Cage all were/still under Perlmutter's TV arm. The number of comic titles starring women (including all women team books) as been greatly expanded from only a few years ago. Same for books starring minorities, but admittedly to a lesser extant.

There's a lot reasons to hate Perlmutter (he's a cheap bastard who has a stick up his butt about properties Marvel/Disney don't own the film rights to), but the notion that he hates female lead (or non-white) projects always reads like projection to me. I want a Black Widow movie as much as the next person, but, as the saying goes, let's not attribute malice to that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Actually it's 100% true about ike. He ordered all merchandise to have widow removed from marketing as he felt that nobody would believe a woman could be a hero, he also replaced Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle as
    A. Cheadle was cheaper

And

B. Since they are both black nobody would notice

(that's a quote From the man himself that last bit)

Perlmutter got a massively reduced role within tv and film (pretty much just handles marvel merch now) after whedon left marvel due to ikes intereference (it was him that insisted whedon do THAT Thor cave scene in avengers 2) and then feige made personal complaints to head of Disney to have him removed.

Amongst his many failings you can add racsist, sexist and all round prejudiced guy. He's also a **** in person too.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    *Sigh*
    Actually it's 100% true about ike. He ordered all merchandise to have widow removed from marketing as he felt that nobody would believe a woman could be a hero,

Source?
    he also replaced Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle as
    A. Cheadle was cheaper

And

B. Since they are both black nobody would notice

(that's a quote From the man himself that last bit)

The way I've always heard it was Howard was the first actor to sign on for Iron Man, he was also highest paid actor on the movie (5 million, I believe), asked for more money, they said no. If memory serves it happened to Joe Pantoliano on the Matrix movies too. This is a common thing. So Cheadle being cheaper doesn't mean anything to me. Especially, if it's relative (ie. 3 million vs 10 million). Source on the quote? As that's actually damaging.
    Perlmutter got a massively reduced role within tv and film (pretty much just handles marvel merch now) after whedon left marvel due to ikes intereference (it was him that insisted whedon do THAT Thor cave scene in avengers 2) and then feige made personal complaints to head of Disney to have him removed.

As far as I know, Feige got Marvel Studios completely out from under Ike, but the TV department is still there.
    Amongst his many failings you can add racsist, sexist and all round prejudiced guy. He's also a **** in person too.

I have no doubt he's an ****. I've literally never heard anyone say something nice about him, but I'm also not going to assume he's the absolute worst type of human just based off of rumors from the gossipy, clickbait mob. If you can back up the claims here statements, I'll gladly recant as I don't care for the man. But I need more than hearsay and circumstantial evidence.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    If he has his own event, there's a good chance there's a cover to be earned, ala Antman and Cho. I'm excited.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Am I the only one still wonder what e-mail?
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    You can sign up to get emails on the D3Go homepage, I got the email also
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Is it confirmed he'll be a 5-Star? I've been saving Latest tokens for a while waiting for him...

Also, just because there is an event based around him doesn't mean we'll get a free cover.
    MPQ VS Deadpool doesn't give a Deadpool cover, even though it really should. Arguably Meet Rocket & Groot should give his cover as well. And those are 3 star characters. Granted, those PVE's were created in a slightly different, more stingy era, but still.
    If Dr. Strange is indeed a 5-Star, there is no way they will give one out for free. One can hope tho...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is it confirmed he'll be a 5-Star? I've been saving Latest tokens for a while waiting for him...

Also, just because there is an event based around him doesn't mean we'll get a free cover.
    MPQ VS Deadpool doesn't give a Deadpool cover, even though it really should. Arguably Meet Rocket & Groot should give his cover as well. And those are 3 star characters. Granted, those PVE's were created in a slightly different, more stingy era, but still.
    If Dr. Strange is indeed a 5-Star, there is no way they will give one out for free. One can hope tho...
    Meet Rocket and Groot and Deadpool vs MPQ were created after The Hulk and Prodigal Sun, both of which hand out free covers.
    I'm hoping for a fourstar. Seems odd to have a fivestar as the featured character in an event...
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Seems odd to have a fivestar as the featured character in an event...

But it's the anniversary! They can give out a little 5*. Just a little. For all the dedication and happy memories. Surely they can give a little 5* on the anniversary.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    image7.jpg
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    All I know is if they release Strange as below than 5* now, they will have to bring the 5* version after. Too many people participated in Buyclubs ( ALOT) because they were hoping for Dr.Strange to come out as a 5* as they trying to hoard the Cps and tokens. I really hope sooner or later, Strange has to come out as another 5* even though they released 2*, 3* , 4* Strange before. But they have to release 5* or else there will be a lot of angry buyers coming to complain. Including Me.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards

IM46 and 5Cap would like a word.

Strange should be a 5 (we're due), and if he is, it's fairly likely his event will be a boss-type event.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    All I know is if they release Strange as below than 5* now, they will have to bring the 5* version after. Too many people participated in Buyclubs ( ALOT) because they were hoping for Dr.Strange to come out as a 5* as they trying to hoard the Cps and tokens. I really hope sooner or later, Strange has to come out as another 5* even though they released 2*, 3* , 4* Strange before. But they have to release 5* or else there will be a lot of angry buyers coming to complain. Including Me.

I mean, I want the high buyers to be happy, because they keep the game running and all that, but if what you want is 5* Doctor Strange, why would you invest heavily in getting one before actually making sure that it exists? That's a bit of putting the cart before the horse, is it not?

I mean, if Strange turns out to be a 4*, it'd be your own fault that you ended up disappointed, and it would be extremely unfair to complain to the devs about it.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Well, the devs have already said that stars rarities have nothing to do with comic power (the 5* tier started right, but collapsed after Wolverine was added in it icon_rolleyes.gif ), so I would't be surprised if he was released as a 4*...
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc wrote:

I mean, I want the high buyers to be happy, because they keep the game running and all that, but if what you want is 5* Doctor Strange, why would you invest heavily in getting one before actually making sure that it exists? That's a bit of putting the cart before the horse, is it not?

I mean, if Strange turns out to be a 4*, it'd be your own fault that you ended up disappointed, and it would be extremely unfair to complain to the devs about it.

I like me some leek soup. Not available everywhere, but a nice bit of leek can whet your appetite for the main course. So sure if leek gave you a flavour, but then the main course didn't quite live up to the taste you expected you may end up feeling disappointed.
  • thisone wrote:
    I like me some leek soup. Not available everywhere, but a nice bit of leek can whet your appetite for the main course. So sure if leek gave you a flavour, but then the main course didn't quite live up to the taste you expected you may end up feeling disappointed.
    I guess that's why leek soup comes with disclaimers
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Koffitok wrote:
    thisone wrote:
    I guess that's why leek soup comes with disclaimers

I guess it's all in the palette. Not everyone is good at distinguishing what makes a quality product.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    All I know is that I want him. I want him bad. icon_e_smile.gif