Dr. Strange hero and event incoming...

scottee
scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
How is no one talking about this quote from the email?
And this year, at Year 3, we have announced Gwenpool as our newest Marvel Puzzle Quest character...but wait, we have one more to tell that was just announced at the Marvel Games Panel earlier today and that is Doctor Strange is coming to Marvel Puzzle Quest in his very own event. As we get closer to the release of the film, we will have more details about this in-game event.

Comments

• hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    scottee wrote:
    How is no one talking about this quote from the email?
    And this year, at Year 3, we have announced Gwenpool as our newest Marvel Puzzle Quest character...but wait, we have one more to tell that was just announced at the Marvel Games Panel earlier today and that is Doctor Strange is coming to Marvel Puzzle Quest in his very own event. As we get closer to the release of the film, we will have more details about this in-game event.

First of all, what e-mail. Second of all, because nearly everyone that plays this game knew Doctor Strange was coming.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    First of all, what e-mail.
    The one from the Nigerian prince who needs help getting his roster out of the country. If you send him your login information, he will be able to transfer his very rare MPQ characters which include Dr Strange, Namor, Nightcrawler, Rogue, and Gambit. In addition, he will need a small bribe for the customs agents.
  • scottee
    The rest of the paragraph was talking about other Anniversary release characters, so I read it as Doctor Strange's release and PVE event being a part of the Anniversary festivities.

Here's the whole paragraph:
    Each year we like to announce a couple of new special Marvel characters that are coming to Marvel Puzzle Quest. At Year 1, it was Thor: Goddess of Thunder and Devil Dinosaur, and at Year 2, it was Totally Awesome Hulk, Cyclops (Classic), Old Man Logan, X-23, Red Hulk, and Jean Grey (Phoenix). And this year, at Year 3, we have announced Gwenpool as our newest Marvel Puzzle Quest character...but wait, we have one more to tell that was just announced at the Marvel Games Panel earlier today and that is Doctor Strange is coming to Marvel Puzzle Quest in his very own event. As we get closer to the release of the film, we will have more details about this in-game event.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    The rest of the paragraph was talking about other Anniversary release characters, so I read it as Doctor Strange's release and PVE event being a part of the Anniversary festivities.

Each year we like to announce a couple of new special Marvel characters that are coming to Marvel Puzzle Quest. At Year 1, it was Thor: Goddess of Thunder and Devil Dinosaur, and at Year 2, it was Totally Awesome Hulk, Cyclops (Classic), Old Man Logan, X-23, Red Hulk, and Jean Grey (Phoenix). And this year, at Year 3, we have announced Gwenpool as our newest Marvel Puzzle Quest character...but wait, we have one more to tell that was just announced at the Marvel Games Panel earlier today and that is Doctor Strange is coming to Marvel Puzzle Quest in his very own event. As we get closer to the release of the film, we will have more details about this in-game event.

Doctor strange has been a pretty obvious candidate for a late October/early november 5* release for a long time. (when was the last film or tv Marvel property that didn't get at least 1 tie-in release? Guardians of the Galaxy? (which got 4 tie-ins later on as it turned out to be a sleeper hit) (and no, deadpool and x-men films don't count. Marvel doesn't cross-promote for fox.)
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Doctor strange has been a pretty obvious candidate for a late October/early november 5* release for a long time. (when was the last film or tv Marvel property that didn't get at least 1 tie-in release? Guardians of the Galaxy? (which got 4 tie-ins later on as it turned out to be a sleeper hit) (and no, deadpool and x-men films don't count. Marvel doesn't cross-promote for fox.)
    Jessica Jones, but your point mostly stands.
  • scottee
    Also, it sounds to me like a new PVE that is tied to the anniversary. And I don't believe that was announced anywhere. Only the new Boss event was.
  • Vhailorx
    xKOBALTx wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Jessica Jones, but your point mostly stands.

Good point! I guess Ike Perlmutter still hates female leads. . .(and probably minority leads too, so Cage must have slipped through!)

(disclaimer: this post is based upon the many many reports about Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter's less-than-progressive statements and policies regarding female and minority characters in the marvel universe).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just shown up on Facebook.

14612637_1117367598310425_6479753483848369665_o.jpg
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    But we just got a 4* Cage right around time of release so I'd say that counts.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Strange and Kaecilius will appear in Marvel Puzzle Quest. http://www.newsarama.com/31386-nycc-16-marvel-digital-house-of-ideas-games-panel.html at 15:43
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Yay, a (playable?) villain!
  • hodayathink
    Vhailorx wrote:
    scottee wrote:

And they do cross-promote for Fox, they just don't make it obvious. The week of X-Men Apocalypse, they moved X-Force Wolverine to be the Clash of the Titans on release day (switched him with another one of the former early cycle 4*, IIRC), and pretty much the entire boosted list that week was mutants (most of whom are in that movie). The weekend of Deadpool's release, Deadpool vs. MPQ was the PvE event running, and I think they ran a PvP Deadpool event as well (though to be fair, I believe that Deadpool event also doubled as a Valentine's Day event as well).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx wrote:
    scottee wrote:

And they do cross-promote for Fox, they just don't make it obvious. The week of X-Men Apocalypse, they moved X-Force Wolverine to be the Clash of the Titans on release day (switched him with another one of the former early cycle 4*, IIRC), and pretty much the entire boosted list that week was mutants (most of whom are in that movie). The weekend of Deadpool's release, Deadpool vs. MPQ was the PvE event running, and I think they ran a PvP Deadpool event as well (though to be fair, I believe that Deadpool event also doubled as a Valentine's Day event as well).

I think you have identified a gap between Marvel and Demi/d3. Demi and d3 seem to be able make their own choices about boosted lists and 4* ddq order (though they are presumably required to run certain events in sync with Marvel films).

But Marvel seems to have much more control over which characters are released and when. Demi seems to be able to make requests to Marvel, but it's pretty clear from dev/pub comments over the years that Marvel has the final say on which characters are released and every single line of dialogue included in any story event.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    xdogg wrote:
    Strange and Kaecilius will appear in Marvel Puzzle Quest. http://www.newsarama.com/31386-nycc-16-marvel-digital-house-of-ideas-games-panel.html at 15:43

12:40
    Starting October 26, Strange will "enchant" six Marvel games.

So not anniversary but probably a pve that starts in 3 weeks.
  • coco4dragons
    coco4dragons Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    They didnt give a lot of info at the panel at NYCC but they did say Oct 26 is when they are coming. They showed Kacellius (i think thats how you spell it) artwork with Doctor Strange but didnt mention if he was a boss, a villain or a playable character though.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Good point! I guess Ike Perlmutter still hates female leads. . .(and probably minority leads too, so Cage must have slipped through!)

(disclaimer: this post is based upon the many many reports about Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter's less-than-progressive statements and policies regarding female and minority characters in the marvel universe).

Devil's Advocate here: Captain Marvel and Black Panther movie were announced when Marvel Studios was still under Perlmutter. AoS (which has had a heavy female cast from day one), the late Agent Carter, JJ, and Cage all were/still under Perlmutter's TV arm. The number of comic titles starring women (including all women team books) as been greatly expanded from only a few years ago. Same for books starring minorities, but admittedly to a lesser extant.

There's a lot reasons to hate Perlmutter (he's a cheap bastard who has a stick up his butt about properties Marvel/Disney don't own the film rights to), but the notion that he hates female lead (or non-white) projects always reads like projection to me. I want a Black Widow movie as much as the next person, but, as the saying goes, let's not attribute malice to that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Strange being in this game is common sense knowledge. Thinking he is getting in DURING this anniversary WITHOUT a ton of announcements is the opposite.......
  • hodayathink
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Devil's Advocate here: Captain Marvel and Black Panther movie were announced when Marvel Studios was still under Perlmutter. AoS (which has had a heavy female cast from day one), the late Agent Carter, JJ, and Cage all were/still under Perlmutter's TV arm. The number of comic titles starring women (including all women team books) as been greatly expanded from only a few years ago. Same for books starring minorities, but admittedly to a lesser extant.

There's a lot reasons to hate Perlmutter (he's a cheap bastard who has a stick up his butt about properties Marvel/Disney don't own the film rights to), but the notion that he hates female lead (or non-white) projects always reads like projection to me. I want a Black Widow movie as much as the next person, but, as the saying goes, let's not attribute malice to that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Shane Black has basically said someone higher than Feige (and Ike is/was the only person at Marvel higher than Feige) was the reason that Mya Hanson wasn't the lead villain of Iron Man 3. It's not just projection.

Edit: It's also been heavily rumored that he's the reason that Black Widow wasn't getting many (if any) toys while the rest of the Avengers (including Hawkeye) were.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Shane Black has basically said someone higher than Feige (and Ike is/was the only person at Marvel higher than Feige) was the reason that Mya Hanson wasn't the lead villain of Iron Man 3. It's not just projection.

To quote Black, "And I don’t know if it was Ike, I don’t know who it was. They never told me who made the decision, we just got that memo one day and it was about toy sales. That’s all I know."

So again, projection. And even if it was Ike, you can't just discount all those other things because he has some dumb ideas as what toys will sell.
  • hodayathink
    STOPTHIS wrote:

To quote Black, "And I don’t know if it was Ike, I don’t know who it was. They never told me who made the decision, we just got that memo one day and it was about toy sales. That’s all I know."

So again, projection. And even if it was Ike, you can't just discount all those other things because he has some dumb ideas as what toys will sell.

He explicitly says it wasn't Feige. Who else but Ike (and technically, the Creative Committee, which Ike was arguably the head of) could have made the decision? Actually, I'll go one step further than that. Ike is supposedly the one in charge of toys in the first place (he came to Marvel after running a toy company, it's kind of his expertise). If it was because of toy sales, then that lends even further credence to it being his decision.