Are Heroic PvE's more fun than we like to admit?

124»

Comments

• Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    El Satanno wrote:
    On a broader scale I think Heroic events should be more like Gauntlet and run independently of whatever other Story event is going on. "If you have the mix of characters necessary, try your hand at a run through the Heroic event for some great one-off prizes!"

Couldn't agree with this more. There's nothing wrong with running heroics, provided that there is something to offset/reward the limitations inherent to the format. Making it the only PvE event available seems spiteful and shortsighted to those players who, for want of a better phrase, can't hack it with their rosters.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    at the very least, I wouldn't mind Heroics as much if they would reconsider the requirement for 4x clear for max progression

I'm OK with it for other events, but it certainly would be refreshing if they relaxed on us a little bit
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    at the very least, I wouldn't mind Heroics as much if they would reconsider the requirement for 4x clear for max progression

I'm OK with it for other events, but it certainly would be refreshing if they relaxed on us a little bit

Dude...do you remember 2.5 hour refreshes? Clearing Story for prog now is candy-land compared to that horror.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    no, I don't. I've seen it mentioned here on the forums before, but I think I came in after the 8-hour system was in place.

i'm not saying they should make max progression a cake walk, please don't straw man me here. it seemed like they decided on 4x because that was the average amount of effort across the player base, perhaps a tad higher than the average. which is FINE - for your normal PVEs. heroics are in no way normal, we are already at a disadvantage in them. make max something like 3.4 or 3.5 clears.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    Jam_Adams wrote:

Dude...do you remember 2.5 hour refreshes? Clearing Story for prog now is candy-land compared to that horror.
    wow. I remember my first trip to florida on 2.5hr timers. shoot me now....
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    This last heroic would have been pretty brutal if I didn't have a champed Quake. As it was, I mostly used Quake/SWitch/3Pool. Apparently a lot of people didn't bother with this one because I did 6 suboptimal clears in each sub and finished 13th.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    El Satanno wrote:
    Jam_Adams wrote:

And aaaaaaaaaaaall those nodes were repeatable.

Yeah, that was a time of great suck.
  • sinburn
    sinburn Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    No. PVE is spending 99% of your time getting frustrated because your 1*-4* progression grind is an uphill battle that feels so completely pointless and out of your control.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    This last heroic would have been pretty brutal if I didn't have a champed Quake. As it was, I mostly used Quake/SWitch/3Pool. Apparently a lot of people didn't bother with this one because I did 6 suboptimal clears in each sub and finished 13th.

I took a fairly similar approach to you, just using Prof X instead of 3Pool and cleared the easy nodes to 1, I ended up with a t10 finish.

They should double or at least boost the iso in heroics to get more people playing them.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    El Satanno wrote:
    Jam_Adams wrote:

AND it had overlapping subs
    each sub was 36 hours offset 12 hours
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    El Satanno wrote:

AND it had overlapping subs
    each sub was 36 hours offset 12 hours
    Yeah, The Hunt got a lot more playable when they standardized the format and got rid of the overlap. And stopped running the subs multiple times with increasing scaling each time. That really kept us busy, didn't it?
    Pity it hasn't rerun since they introduced SHIELD rank, that makes all those one-time Florida nodes more palatable.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Probably they are more fun than I would like to admit. They are a real challenge anyways at times with limited roster.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    no, I don't. I've seen it mentioned here on the forums before, but I think I came in after the 8-hour system was in place.

i'm not saying they should make max progression a cake walk, please don't straw man me here. it seemed like they decided on 4x because that was the average amount of effort across the player base, perhaps a tad higher than the average. which is FINE - for your normal PVEs. heroics are in no way normal, we are already at a disadvantage in them. make max something like 3.4 or 3.5 clears.

Who's strawmanning? And is that even a word?! All I'm saying is, things used to be much, much less palatable.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jam_Adams wrote:

In the time you spent posting about how awful having to do 4 clears is, you could've done that extra half clear that, for some reason, bothers you so mucb.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Heroics played casually tend to be more fun. You get to use different characters than normal, try out some new combos. I kind of enjoy them.

Heroics played for placement are god awful. D3 can't be bothered to choose the available characters that might have synergy (even though they manage to come up with some killer enemy teams in Gauntlet and Sim) and so multiple clears become a maddening slog (more so than regular PVE).
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    No they aren't.

The only "fun" part is that you may luck into a bracket where people don't at all care and just do 1 clear and shut the game off.

Other than that they take away agency from too many players.

Now if the characters selected for heroics were all rentals and fully covered and everyone had the same scaling?

Then we could talk fun and strategy, otherwise it is and always will be a roster check.