Are Heroic PvE's more fun than we like to admit?

babinro
babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I remember early on in my MPQ life I LOVED Balance of Power. Over time I eventually earned some full level characters and then each run of Balance of Power felt more and more frustrating. These days, BoP at level 550 cap is the ONLY PvP where I don't actively shoot for mass progression because it's a nightmare.

Why even bring this up?

Simply because I feel that Heroic PvE's are the polar opposite. During the earlier stages of MPQ I largely hated them. As my roster grew they became more and more tolerable as an outlet to try characters I wouldn't use as much. Now that I'm in 5* tier of play...limited heroics are officially my favorite PvE or PvE or Off-season event held.

This most recent Heroic was insanely fun for me because it showed off plenty of characters that normally collect dust but are actually useful and fun to play. Characters like X-23 and Antman. I got to give Moon Knight a serious try for the first time and he's VERY impressive. Much better than I gave him credit for initially.

Heroics are just FUN.
Especially with the new PvE format that reduces the need to grind more than prior iterations.

ONE HUGE CAVEAT: Ensure each tier has solid rainbow color coverage along with characters roles that don't overlap too heavily.

We've played heroics where success depends on GSBW getting the win when she has NO ONE who can tank for her. I've also had heroics where teams of pre-buffed Cho or MrF made the cut because of how bad our selection of offensive characters were.

You can't just pick characters at random and expect a fun event. Nor can you just put all support damage characters without a single pure damage dealer or tank to go with them expect us to have a good time.

Heroics are my favorite thing about MPQ these days but they do require a bit more thought than traditional events.

What are your thoughts?

Do we as a community give Heroics too much hate or is this just some out of touch praises from a niche 5* roster player?

Comments

• Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    No they are not.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    They are fun for people that have fully covered rosters.

For most people, it means having your favourite teams benched while you make due with a handful of 3 stars with bad synergy and a few barely covered 4 stars.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    They are fun for people that have fully covered rosters.

For most people, it means having your favourite teams benched while you make due with a handful of 3 stars with bad synergy and a few barely covered 4 stars.

I think this is a completely fair assessment. BoP works much the same way for people who have covers but no ISO and can make use of their roster. I think that's why it's a more popular event for the non-vets.

Heroics are great because I have a roster of 4's collecting dust.

I'm curious if the nature of scaling would mean that there's a group of 3* transitioners who enjoy it because their 3's get some use in the same way.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    If your roster has the characters (and they are champed) for what the heroic allows, then it will probably be very fun.

If your roster is like mine and the 4* are 2 covers and none of 3* are champed or are not well covered, then no, it sucks.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    My roster is generally filled out and I have access to use whatever boosted characters are there in heroics. It's still not fun. There already is a system that encourages using lesser used characters, and its weekly boosts and it works pretty well as it is.

During normal pves I already experiment with mixing and matching lesser used characters thanks to rotating boosts, limiting my roster choices is not opening my eyes to any new combinations that I wasnt playing around with already.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    They're bad also because there's more Dark Avengers. Ugh. Moonstone is so boring now. 2 star Bullseye, even the 3 star version would be a big improvement.

Let players/ fans write up new PVEs. We'll do it for free (or free-ish).
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love heroics when

A) The scaling bug that pops up from time to time, scaling the heroic to full roster instead of available one, doesn't ruin it

B) The roster of available characters isn't totally awful and skewed heavily towards one color like it does so often.

If the devs put the boosted per week on a curated table instead of a simple rotation, this would go a long way to fixing the enjoyment of Heroics for many. Throwing in a fun combo here and there would be nice (even as reinforment). They already did this with the last Heroic by ensuring IF would be available together with Power Man.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    No

Apparently a 2 letter answer isn't sufficient so .... really no
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    No they are terrible.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Heroics. I make no attempt to deny it though, so there's nothing to admit there.
  • Stanley71
    Stanley71 Posts: 75 Match Maker
    No, heroic's are just fun if you can use a champed X23 with +30k HP!
    And this is really, really rare
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    I'm also into Heroics. It's a little too easy to fall into a rut in this game. For me, as a newish player, once I got Iron Fist championed, it was hard for me to justify not including him on a team, even if he wasn't boosted. I have more depth to my roster now, but I still favor certain teams and characters over others, just because I know they work.

Having to work around the limitations in Heroic events has meant trying a lot of different teams sometimes, and sometimes finding an unexpected one that works really well. It puts a little puzzle into the quest for me.

Some more thought could probably go into the characters available for the events, yes. And it would be nice if there was a little more variety. But overall, I view them as on par with any other event, and they mix things up a bit, which is nice.
  • swordfishdata
    swordfishdata Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    If nothing else, after grinding the Heroic for several days then getting into the current one, looking at my whole roster again was a wash of endorphins: "OMG, SO MANY OPTIONS."
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    The level of fun is really dependant on who is boosted. But if there is a good team boosted, they become the only team to use. Case in point Juggernaut event - almost exclusively used Antman and Patch.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    It's been a while since I enjoyed a heroic. This one, (for the first time) I had all four 4*s championed for (even more oddly, all four were strong), and it was fun. Like you, this was the first time my Moon Knight got used seriously, and I agree that he's pretty good.

This is only the second time I remember having strong options that made a good team (last one was 4Cyke, Thing, and Kamala, three or four heroics ago). That one was fun too, thinking about it.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    It depends on the roster for the event, most of the time they are just too slow due to a lack of synergy and they can be especially bad with 4*'s since they frequently crop up after a new release so one of them is poorly covered.

Maybe they should include a wildcard slot in each event that would let you pick a 2* or 3* character of your choice, 4* rosters would tend to go for a battery and 2-3* rosters might instead opt for an additional dps.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    ....errrrm...no
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Once I ended up with 20 or so champed three stars they started being fun. I remember whaling Thor on his three star release heroic and it was a blast as well.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Nah to the ah to the, no, no, no
    My name is no, my sign is no, my number is no
    You need to let it go, you need to let it go
    Need to let it go
    Nah to the ah to the no, no, no

Trainer, Meghan "Thank You." CD. Epic Records. 2016
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    PvE mostly sucks and the Heroics are kind of the epitome of that. Limited rosters and DA's all day every day. It's like a relic to an old era