Are Heroic PvE's more fun than we like to admit?

Comments

• TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    The only good thing about heroics is I have plenty of good characters to go score some goodies in PVP instead.
  • Tarouza
    Tarouza Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    I'll just leave my response here

http://youtu.be/yg2u_De8j5o
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    They're not as bad as people make out most of the time, but fun? Nope.

I really hate carnage and muscle nodes without the tools to really make it a fair fight. One of the least fun experiences in the game, goons spamming abilities and carnage animation give me a real headache so it's not just about the toughness of the node. Im fact when I one day quit the game it's going to be due to the irritating fluff that's being added to the game. Banners, board shake etc. I feel for migraine sufferers who play this game.

The most fun content to me, apart from alliance events, is gauntlet and sim (well as long as it's not for a new release). I think they're a nice litmus test for my full roster.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I actually kind of like them because they usually run for only 3 days and the competition isn't very stiff because most people don't play them. They definitely require a balanced roster though, and fighting juggernaut is a total health drain.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind them when I can field at least one good team. I've definitely skipped a couple because of bad character selection, but for the most part I run them up to the progression goal just because it's easy to hit and I enjoy using some of my unloved characters.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    I'm just curious why they exist aside from limiting your character choices.

The rewards don't seem to match up with the restrictions especially at lower levels where your rosters aren't very fleshed out. They just end up being a few days of being unable to do much of anything.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    At the very best, Heroics are bearable. When the roster limitations are as strict and random as they often are, including the current Dark Avengers event, it's about as pleasurable as eating vegan smores that were prepared over a lightly smoldering garbage fire.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Tee wrote:
    I'm just curious why they exist aside from limiting your character choices.

The rewards don't seem to match up with the restrictions especially at lower levels where your rosters aren't very fleshed out. They just end up being a few days of being unable to do much of anything.

They exist because a small usable roster with bad synergy eats up health packs so they make more sweet sales from them.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kishida wrote:
    At the very best, Heroics are bearable. When the roster limitations are as strict and random as they often are, including the current Dark Avengers event, it's about as pleasurable as eating vegan smores that were prepared over a lightly smoldering garbage fire.
    There's nothing wrong with PX / Switch /Quake.
    Although a 4* true healer in the lineup would be appreciated of course.
  • Kishida
    Bowgentle wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with PX / Switch /Quake.
    Although a 4* true healer in the lineup would be appreciated of course.

My undercovered Switch & 1-covered Chuck aren't helping me, but I hope that one day I can experience that of which you speak.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    I would be much happier with Heroics if the scaling was based off of the the characters that were allowed in the Heroic and not your entire roster.

If I am wrong and the scaling IS only based on available characters I will take it back, but I'm pretty sure scaling is including my leveled 5* characters who are on the bench during a Heroic.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:
    I would be much happier with Heroics if the scaling was based off of the the characters that were allowed in the Heroic and not your entire roster.

If I am wrong and the scaling IS only based on available characters I will take it back, but I'm pretty sure scaling is including my leveled 5* characters who are on the bench during a Heroic.
    5*s are not considered.

My scaling in non-heroics is 430, my highest node tops out at 327 in sub 1.
  • Kishida
    To elaborate, I think the reason that Heroics are so widely derided is because it feels like a middle finger to a majority of the player base, assuming that the majority of players are casual/semi-casual.

Most of your roster is unusable, the scaling is wackier than usual, and there are no additional rewards to incentivize participation. If they'd allow players some more say in their rosters (e.g. A. Choose x number of characters from each tier, half of which are allowed B. Change locked characters depending on Clearance Level) or find a way to improve rewards, it'd be something. As it stands, though, they just feel like D3 putting up a sign that reads "Go away and don't bother me," despite their professed desire for active participation in PvE.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    I kinda like Heroics. For two reasons:
    • Most people don't like them! Therefore it's easier to get placement rewards. Yes, I do realize this is selfish.
    • I like building my roster as diverse as possible rather than trying to get to the end game ASAP and ignoring bad characters. Heroic events reward this type of MO.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I've noticed nothing about easier placement in heroics, tbf. Just me and the rest of us grinding as usual, just with more drawbacks.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    HELL NO! icon_evil.gif
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Heroics would be more fun if we had more characters available. I have over 100 characters, and heroics only let me use about 15, most of which are 2*s or 1*s, so not very useful in the tough nodes. We should be able to use many more 4*s and 3*s. I have all 3*s championed, and I never use them regularly (other than IF, SW and a few others). Heroics would be a great chance for me to use them.

Also, I think 5* characters should be added to Heroics. No, it doesn't need to be OML every time icon_lol.gif But I also have a lot of 5* characters collecting dust because I can't level them up until they're fully covered, due to mmr scaling.. I don't want to take my IM to 315 and then get crushed by championed 5*s every pvp! So it would be great to actually use them in Heroics. Why prevent all 5*s from being used? But please don't then raise scaling to a ridiculous level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nooooooo!!!! Just let us have some fun for once! Let us actually use all of our underused characters in our roster!

Also... please no more Dark Avengers. Not now, not ever. You can do a limited-roster event, but how about a totally different plot! Let us fight heroes, since we have so many of them!!! That would be great! Or add in brand new enemies, so we're no longer seeing Doom, Magneto or Hood as the final badguy of all these events!
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    babinro wrote:
    ONE HUGE CAVEAT: Ensure each tier has solid rainbow color coverage along with characters roles that don't overlap too heavily.

The fact that they don't do this is what annoys me in heroics. Everyone seems to want to contribute red or pink this time around!
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Also... please no more Dark Avengers. Not now, not ever. You can do a limited-roster event, but how about a totally different plot! Let us fight heroes, since we have so many of them!!! That would be great! Or add in brand new enemies, so we're no longer seeing Doom, Magneto or Hood as the final badguy of all these events!

Agreed. Fighting the same foes over and over again is boring.

How about some new villains, such as some of the ones on this list?

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/idea/lists/top-100-marvel-villains/49380/

Or maybe an event based on a cool conflict from the comics, such as when the Shi'ar captured Teen Jean to put her on trial for Pheonix's crimes? Lots of new characters you could introduce with that one, from the Shi'ar imperial guard to some of the less well known Guardians of the Galaxy. Agent Venom and Angela, for example. The Skrulls were involved, as was J'Son of Spartax.

Variety!
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:
    madsalad wrote:

5*s are not considered.

My scaling in non-heroics is 430, my highest node tops out at 327 in sub 1.

I stand corrected. The scaling does still include all of your 4* and below characters that happened to be locked out though, correct? So, if you just happen to have a bunch of champed 4*s that don't happen to be included in the lineup for this Heroic, you're SOL?