I so love that psylocke is needed for this

Options

Comments

• Well if he's not very good he will hit the wall soon enough, psylocke or not. You have dumb tanks. But to deal huge damage that's not enough. Maybe if you showed us your roster?
  • Psylocke is featured in round 1. There are 4 rounds. A different character will be featured in each round. Come Sunday she'll be out of your hair.

Yup. In a little over a day you'll have another required character to hate. icon_e_wink.gif
  • I might be setting myself up for a flaming here, but it's kind of annoying me in this thread that the consensus is "If you don't have Psylocke then you're a recent player or clearly you don't play every day". Maybe his MMR is screwed and he doesn't know about tanking (like anyone not on the forums aka most players), or he's been quite unlucky...

...or maybe, just maybe, he's not very good at the game?

I think it's more annoying that he got a Psylocke with a token and now he's happy. That just proves that it was a personal thing, not a game thing, and we all didn't need to be brought into the whining about not having a character, oh noes, game is borked thing. That just adds to the constant complaining on the forum.

There are some characters I don't have because I don't have the HP to fling around for roster space to just let them sit there. They will for sure be required for one of the Sim nodes, but that's not everyone's problem, that's my problem.
  • Well...yes and no.

I don't play much pvp. Mainly pve. And because of whatever level "good at this game" I am I have to face overpowered CPU foes. I place fairly high in the leaderboards in pve events but I am always in that gap where those ahead are 3000 or so ahead to the needed covers and I have to fight 230 level CPU just to get 300 points.

But now I see the trick...having psylocke I rose up to 2nd in my bracket. Overnight I fell to 37th. I then checked and played the psylocke events only and the points gained rose me back to 4th.

Without that cover I would still be sliding down the board.

So anyone saying you don't need the required covers to place high...can you explain the strategy? Playing late against overpowered CPU foes isn't the answer.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    I guess posting this worked. Just got her with a token.

Friday victory!

Was it blue?

Please tell me it wasn't blue.

It was blue. icon_redface.gif

• ...or maybe, just maybe, he's not very good at the game?

Hahaha
  • Well...yes and no.

I don't play much pvp. Mainly pve. And because of whatever level "good at this game" I am I have to face overpowered CPU foes. I place fairly high in the leaderboards in pve events but I am always in that gap where those ahead are 3000 or so ahead to the needed covers and I have to fight 230 level CPU just to get 300 points.

But now I see the trick...having psylocke I rose up to 2nd in my bracket. Overnight I fell to 37th. I then checked and played the psylocke events only and the points gained rose me back to 4th.

Without that cover I would still be sliding down the board.

So anyone saying you don't need the required covers to place high...can you explain the strategy? Playing late against overpowered CPU foes isn't the answer.

It's virtually impossible to be competitive without the required character in this event where 3 of the highest point missions has a required character. If you had a hack that instantly wins you every game by clicking on fight, you'd still have a hard time beating the guys who have Psylocke in this event if you don't have her.

Usually the required character doesn't have as many high point missions tied to it. Sometimes it can be as few as 1, like episode 4 (Psylocke + one other required, but the other required character is usually someone very common like Captain America or Punisher). The Simulator series so far is more about highlighting certain characters and there's no way to do well without the characters they're trying to promote.
  • I might be setting myself up for a flaming here, but it's kind of annoying me in this thread that the consensus is "If you don't have Psylocke then you're a recent player or clearly you don't play every day". Maybe his MMR is screwed and he doesn't know about tanking (like anyone not on the forums aka most players), or he's been quite unlucky...

...or maybe, just maybe, he's not very good at the game?
    Or like me he got several covers of her but sold them quite stupidly trying to save HP for a roster slot....
  • Honestly guys, I hear you, I don't go for the new characters either and I've complained about this many times but....

This game takes time and money to make. It was designed as a freemium game, and if the game goes under, we all lose. There is nothing wrong with you spending twenty bucks or fifty bucks and supporting the developer and publisher. I have gotten hundreds of hours of fun from this game, so it seems if a movie is $10 (2 hours) then an hour of fun is worth $5 to give it some value. Thus, if you can get more than 4 hours of fun from a $20 pack, then you are coming out ahead. Congratulations Savvy Business man! Now, if you live in Nigeria, or Somalia and this is out of the question. Do not take my advice as a license to kidnap Captain. Phillips. Just calmly pray to the good that those tokens you win from grinding will have a 3* character. Hey, you never know! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Yeah I see what you are saying/wrote.

The fact still remains that without a psylocke I would not easily be in the top 10. In fact I would likely be around 150.

But with the cover and those events accessible this is much easier. Knowing this now I suppose I might be more inclined to go for paying for a guaranteed cover if I need it. I still don't think that is right but it is what it is.
  • Yeah I see what you are saying/wrote.

The fact still remains that without a psylocke I would not easily be in the top 10. In fact I would likely be around 150.

But with the cover and those events accessible this is much easier. Knowing this now I suppose I might be more inclined to go for paying for a guaranteed cover if I need it. I still don't think that is right but it is what it is.

Well I think the win/win would be for them to sell the covers outright instead of doing the packs. I don't have a Lazy Thor, and I know he is a character needed for the alliance event. if I had the chance to buy the cover outright I would, just to stay competitive. It's a double edged sword, but at least it gives us options. New packs don't even guarantee results, just higher odds! This kind of sucks. I remember I bought one once wanting character X, but getting everyone except X. That's when I wish they would simply come out with a Cover Shop. I wonder why they don't?
  • Probably they're hoping people will buy multiple packs to get the guys they want. Like a CCG model with blind purchase.
  • Rajjeq wrote:
    Probably they're hoping people will buy multiple packs to get the guys they want. Like a CCG model with blind purchase.

Well yes, but it's not like they lose revenue from allowing us to buy content a different way. All they have to do is double the price for a cover a la carte. People might still think the packs are a better deal if they dont have covers. People who have every cover except one won't buy the packs anyway, but they might buy a la carte from the cover store.
  • Rajjeq wrote:
    Probably they're hoping people will buy multiple packs to get the guys they want. Like a CCG model with blind purchase.

And the way it's set up now it is f2p and p2getaheadalittlebit

If you could buy covers the general perception would be this game is pure p2w.

While their pricing model would still prevent that in general this thread shows the general worth of a psylocke cover as seen by at least one random player (140 ranks worth).
  • Rajjeq wrote:

And the way it's set up now it is f2p and p2getaheadalittlebit

If you could buy covers the general perception would be this game is pure p2w.

While their pricing model would still prevent that in general this thread shows the general worth of a psylocke cover as seen by at least one random player (140 ranks worth).

Well the game is P2w, because they have required characters in use for tournaments and events that don't come from standard tokens and cannot be gained from prologue and the only way to get these characters is to already be an expert player or...have $50... The more they introduce 3* weekly the more the P2W aspect is reinforced. I'm fine with it, because I see every new char as DLC, and I don't feel obligated to have a maxed Psylocke, BP or LazyThor to have fun. I'm saying let's not pretend this game isn't P2W in it's current design and let's make the game better in spite of it.
    For example League of Legends is F2P and money hardly makes a difference on the game. Must of the money is spent on characters or skins. Every character is esentially viable, because they are constantly adjusted, and they don't ask for permission, they just do it as needed. They also have a Ban feature which allows team captains to ban a champion, for the characters that are still a little OP after the balance. If they need more money, add skins, slogans (WYP idea,) hats, whatever. Stuff we can buy that doesn't affect gameplay. If my 141 Patch could look different from yours, I would pay for that, no question (i hate the white tux look anyway.)

The trend of releasing lazy characters in order to release something tells me they have economic issues. IceIX can correct me if they are swimming in piles of money and driving their Ferrari's to work. When the dev's see a chance to make money out of a gameplay adjustment, they do it, like when they changed the buffs and their cost. How about 2000 HP for the 20th spot in the alliance! I'm glad they stopped at 20, because we would have gone to 50 if necessary!

At the end of the day, I think they shouldn't prevent you from playing a mission because you don't have the character. They should just give you the stock base level one always in my mind... Also Devs, what is up with that 14% chance of lazyThor Nonsense? Are you trying to lose that revenue stream on purpose?
  • klingsor wrote:
    Well the game is P2w, because they have required characters in use for tournaments and events that don't come from standard tokens and cannot be gained from prologue and the only way to get these characters is to already be an expert player or...have $50... The more they introduce 3* weekly the more the P2W aspect is reinforced. I'm fine with it, because I see every new char as DLC, and I don't feel obligated to have a maxed Psylocke, BP or LazyThor to have fun. I'm saying let's not pretend this game isn't P2W in it's current design and let's make the game better in spite of it. </snip>

Thats not really true at all. I have not spent a dime and have started to get quite a few 3* covers, including a couple Dooms (current "locked node" needed guy), and other covers I am building up quite nicely. If I try I can place top 25 or so in most PVE or PVP events - high enough to get a new 3* cover. Its all about taking advantage of the rewards when available, then waiting for the next time they come around. If you missed Psylock last time (I did), well guess we are just going to have to wait until they offer it as a reward again! Does not mean I have to pay to win. Hell, Im not even sure I know what you mean by "win". If you mean "Place well enough to get the rewards you want", then the statement is absolute bunk. Is it means "Place 1st", its still not true - just significantly harder. But hell, not everyone can place 1st every event - thats kind of the whole point of a competitive game. Participation trophys dont mean anything - but the three covers of Hood I got from placing 2nd in a PVP event - now THAT I cherish!
  • You don't need to pay to get 3* covers as long as you spend time wisely.
  • Also didnt mean to come off diskish about it - I just keep seeing these threads that are based off of misplaced anger and frustration. If you take some time, get a game plan, pick your battles, and execute intelligently, you can succeed at this game! And threads about being "sick of it" dont help. Instead, ask for help from a more experienced player. They can help you get on the right path. It is more productive than these same complaints over and over again.

This forum has possibly the highest Helpful:Unhelpful ratio of any forum Ive seen. All you have to do is ask and there are dozens of people who will come out to give you advice!
  • If there's a problem with the locked nodes, is that it builds a 'gravy train': If you do well enough to get a cover, you will have a far easier time in the next tournament, where said cover will be heavily buffed, making it easier to get said covers, and so on. If for any reason you are out of the gravy train you have to luck out somewhere to get back into it.

I think the game would be better if there were special 'catchup' tournaments, which dole out the necessary 3*, but where having the previously featured 3* provides no specific advantages.
  • kermitk50 wrote:
    klingsor wrote:
    Well the game is P2w, because they have required characters in use for tournaments and events that don't come from standard tokens and cannot be gained from prologue and the only way to get these characters is to already be an expert player or...have $50... The more they introduce 3* weekly the more the P2W aspect is reinforced. I'm fine with it, because I see every new char as DLC, and I don't feel obligated to have a maxed Psylocke, BP or LazyThor to have fun. I'm saying let's not pretend this game isn't P2W in it's current design and let's make the game better in spite of it. </snip>

Thats not really true at all. I have not spent a dime and have started to get quite a few 3* covers, including a couple Dooms (current "locked node" needed guy), and other covers I am building up quite nicely. If I try I can place top 25 or so in most PVE or PVP events - high enough to get a new 3* cover. Its all about taking advantage of the rewards when available, then waiting for the next time they come around. If you missed Psylock last time (I did), well guess we are just going to have to wait until they offer it as a reward again! Does not mean I have to pay to win. Hell, Im not even sure I know what you mean by "win". If you mean "Place well enough to get the rewards you want", then the statement is absolute bunk. Is it means "Place 1st", its still not true - just significantly harder. But hell, not everyone can place 1st every event - thats kind of the whole point of a competitive game. Participation trophys dont mean anything - but the three covers of Hood I got from placing 2nd in a PVP event - now THAT I cherish!

Look I agree with the spirit of your post, saying that if you play smart you can do well. I'm sure a lot of people have maxed one or two 3* characters by not spending a dime... but when you see people with pages of maxed characters, do you think they got there by just being super good at match 3? When I say it's essentially designed to be P2W, I mean it from a game design and economic point of view. Anyone can beat a particular fight. What I call winning is not a particular encounter with bad AI, but rather winning tournaments and now, winning alliance competitions. If you don't think there is a correlation between the biggest spenders and the most success in-game, well I have a bridge to sell you.