Simulator Basics part 2: Electric Boogaloo (Mar 21-30)

Options

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I'm positively sure 5 man alliances have a chance, if every player puts in effort. The reward range should have been designed that way at least.
  • Do 5 man alliances have a chance at the cover? I am not trying to be snarky I honestly don't know how many 10-20 member alliances there are or how high any 5 man teams managed to place in the last event.

The hulk event gave out Lazy Thor covers to the top 6666 in unbracketed play. I know this is not a direct comparison because solo scores are running chances for covers as well but if only the top 250 Alliances get a cover that is at MAXIMUM 5000 people. True they are throwing a lot of HP around also, and I admit that would be nice but I can take it or leave it, all that would matter to me is if I am shut out of cover range or not.

The only way to know that is if members from an alliance ranked 100 - 250 chimes in here with alliance size and points. Even then, that doesn't mean that a 5 person alliance has a chance at the cover, because it's still day 1 of the event, and other larger alliances may still have players who haven't made point contributions yet. So it is an assumption either way by saying a 5 man can or can't get a cover.
  • I'm startting to like this buffed Buffed Bulleye when he is working for me

How much does a maxed boosted Bullseye protect tile protect from?
  • Thats just it I am not overly confident that the state of Alliances has settled down to a position where even the devs know how many alliances of what composition are going to be competitive. Guess it will be a try hard and see where we land icon_e_smile.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Skyedyne wrote:
    Do 5 man alliances have a chance at the cover? I am not trying to be snarky I honestly don't know how many 10-20 member alliances there are or how high any 5 man teams managed to place in the last event.

The hulk event gave out Lazy Thor covers to the top 6666 in unbracketed play. I know this is not a direct comparison because solo scores are running chances for covers as well but if only the top 250 Alliances get a cover that is at MAXIMUM 5000 people. True they are throwing a lot of HP around also, and I admit that would be nice but I can take it or leave it, all that would matter to me is if I am shut out of cover range or not.

The only way to know that is if members from an alliance ranked 100 - 250 chimes in here with alliance size and points. Even then, that doesn't mean that a 5 person alliance has a chance at the cover, because it's still day 1 of the event, and other larger alliances may still have players who haven't made point contributions yet. So it is an assumption either way by saying a 5 man can or can't get a cover.
    The good thing for 5 man alliances is that most competitive players already are in big alliances and comprise the top 10-50 alliances, I dunno how many, but definitely not 250, so competitive small alliances should be able to place too, imo.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    In the last event, BP covers were awarded to the top 100, and the cutoff was around 3300. That means a 5-man alliance would have had to average 660 points to get the cover, which is pretty achievable if you have 5 high-level dedicated players (e.g. if you recruited from the forums), but pretty hard if you had to carry, say, two casual players -- if they get to 300, then everyone else has to average 900. For perspective, the guys from SHIELD, who won the event and have many of the most dedicated, highest leveled players in the game, averaged 940.

I can tell you that there were definitely 5-man teams that made the cutoff, but I don't know how many.

I have no idea if that will translate this time, though, because I think casual players tend to do better in PvE events (scaling, rubber banding, you can't lose points, more time to play and earn points), so it'll be both easier to carry a few casual players and harder to beat other alliances with casuals.
  • If there are a maximum of 5000 covers being handed out then all top 250 are 20 man teams then 5 man teams are clearly out of luck in this situation.

Pulling numbers randomly if the average size of the top 250 is merely 7-8 (some up at 15-20, most smaller than that, many at size 5) then there are now only ~2000 global blue covers being handed out. Which is a much smaller pool.

The Elite alliances should have an easy time getting theirs but if 5 man teams are in fact in the running, the competition between those at that level is going to be unbelievably fierce.
  • In a polite stewardess tone of voice:

"Welcome to the Simulator if you are a preferred alliance member please enjoy a Blue Captain Martini and a raffle ticket for our generous HP giveaway, if you are travelling in coach today please wait outside and when you have viciously murdered 10 others waiting to get inside you may have a drink at the bar. Thank you for your patience and understanding!"

Haha sorry I really don't think it will be that bad but the thought made me laugh. Happy hunting all.
  • Niiiice, my Psylocke/Ares/Spidey team is absolutely beastly in this event.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    If there are a maximum of 5000 covers being handed out then all top 250 are 20 man teams then 5 man teams are clearly out of luck in this situation.

Pulling numbers randomly if the average size of the top 250 is merely 7-8 (some up at 15-20, most smaller than that, many at size 5) then there are now only ~2000 global blue covers being handed out. Which is a much smaller pool.

The Elite alliances should have an easy time getting theirs but if 5 man teams are in fact in the running, the competition between those at that level is going to be unbelievably fierce.
    I'm not following your reasoning. In the last Hulk event, there were 6666 green covers given out, but only 3333 red and only 1000 yellow (or maybe it was some other way around).

Yellow covers are awarded to the top 75 of each 1000-person bracket, so 7.5% of all players. If the same 100k people who played Hulk play Simulator, that's 7500 yellow covers. Similarly, red is given to 5% of all players, so 5000. Blue is given to the top 250 alliances, so minimum 1250 covers.

Looks to me like they're giving out more covers across the board.
  • If there are a maximum of 5000 covers being handed out then all top 250 are 20 man teams then 5 man teams are clearly out of luck in this situation.

I'm not following your reasoning. In the last Hulk event, there were 6666 green covers given out, but only 3333 red and only 1000 yellow (or maybe it was some other way around).

Yellow covers are awarded to the top 75 of each 1000-person bracket, so 7.5% of all players. If the same 100k people who played Hulk play Simulator, that's 7500 yellow covers. Similarly, red is given to 5% of all players, so 5000. Blue is given to the top 250 alliances, so minimum 1250 covers.

Looks to me like they're giving out more covers across the board.

Sorry in my earlier post I mentioned it was a indirect comparison and was merely going through the thought exercise of how likely it will be for a 5 man alliance to reach blue cover territory. These numbers were only looking at the alliance rewards. Covers earned from solo points will be awarded by their own separate metric which is otherwise same as a normal PVE so I know what kind of competition to expect there.
  • I'm having such a great time in this event. I'm in ISO heaven. I've only went through once and I've already put doom from 110 to 115. Psylocke from 20 to 50ish and a lil more. Simulator was great last time also. Keep the ISO flowin!
  • I'm having such a great time in this event. I'm in ISO heaven. I've only went through once and I've already put doom from 110 to 115. Psylocke from 20 to 50ish and a lil more. Simulator was great last time also. Keep the ISO flowin!

I put Punisher from 120 to 129. It made my loins purr

I put Punisher from 120 to 129. It made my loins purr

So that's what that noise was. I hate it when your loins purr.
  • In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the loins sleep tonight....
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Found a few teams that work pretty well with these buffs.

Psylocke/Ares/Daken is surprisingly effective.
    Patch/OBW/Bullseye also works well, if you keep Bullseye at level 45 (his effective level will be 85, and he'll have the same purple strength as OBW)

OBW should have ownership of purple, of course.
  • Kelbris wrote:

Psylocke and Daken are like bread and butter... or something clever, I don't know. Especially with Modern Thor, too bad he and Psylocke won't be buffed together.
  • Kelbris
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:

Psylocke and Daken are like bread and butter... or something clever, I don't know. Especially with Modern Thor, too bad he and Psylocke won't be buffed together.

I was trying to find a third that worked for Psylocke/Ares. Mags works, but I find that I don't do as much with him since I'm not really concentrating on purple. Most enemies don't use it, so I bait them into a bunch of match-4 purples so I can control the rest of the board.

If Daken was buffed again, this would be a joke.
  • Just bear in mind that if you use Daken, you won't be able to use Psylocke's strike tiles (but her ability will be spammable).
  • Kelbris
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    Just bear in mind that if you use Daken, you won't be able to use Psylocke's strike tiles (but her ability will be spammable).

I tend to get one down. Match green once to bring the cost to 6, throw down one Psylocke tile (for 216) and then match more green.

Soon as her buff's done, she's sitting out for Punisher anyway. Can't say no t a +90 buff on Psylocke right now.