Update to Mission Rewards in The Gauntlet

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    doomette wrote:
    I understand it's a challenge and such, but it kind of sucks to run such a long event that shuts out newbies/lowbies so early. I don't think I'll be able to progress much further unless I get really, really lucky with cascades or something, as strategic character/ability choice only goes so far with a limited roster. Then it's just DDQ for me until the next PVE event (not a fan of PVP), harrumph.
    Don't worry a lot of vets will be skipping the event to due to the insane scaling so quickly. Even getting 500 ISO for completing. Each node and experience points. This might be the lowest played gauntlet ever.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I LOVE GAUNTLET.

I'm double-happy this time around because 850 Iso for a measly 3 clears is hot socks. Thank you, Demiurge. Please do this instead of Story events all week, every week, forever and ever, ramen.
  • doomette
    doomette Posts: 95 Match Maker
    wymtime wrote:
    Don't worry a lot of vets will be skipping the event to due to the insane scaling so quickly. Even getting 500 ISO for completing. Each node and experience points. This might be the lowest played gauntlet ever.
    "Fun" for everyone then, yay! At least those with more developed rosters have more options for the face-melting scaling?
    I was reading through the post about soft and hard counters for a particularly tricky node and had to sigh that I was missing all the effective suggestions given. Well technically I had a few of them because I pulled a yellow Black Bolt but that would have been way too costly. I ended up bringing good ol' Juggernaut and obliterating the board as needed with his cheap green. Not the most elegant of solutions but it worked.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finished this morning, 500 ISO per node was too tasty to resist.

As far as Gauntlets go, this was one of the easier ones - team-composition wise, not level-wise.
    Bring XFool and a true healer, watch stuff die.

Except for the final Ant-Man node (Patch/Phoenix/4Cyke - Whale fodder) it was challenging, but not crazypants loopy.

Not sure I want to go back and do 3/3 on everything, though.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finished the Gauntlet last night, now I've started mining XP. My newly maxed OML really helped make things easier here...
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    I LOVE GAUNTLET.

I'm double-happy this time around because 850 Iso for a measly 3 clears is hot socks. Thank you, Demiurge. Please do this instead of Story events all week, every week, forever and ever, ramen.

I am going to keep repeating this over and over and over again until maybe someday Devs listen to me.

They should run a season long Gauntlet EVERY season, together with the other normal PvEs. Gauntlet should be the Sim of PVE. It makes total sense!

This would have a lot of advantages. Extra iso every season, the possibility of playing something whenever you want to (PvE is not really time-free), and enough time to beat every node 3 times. With some extra cover in the rewards they would even be perfect (similar to what you get in Sim). I don't see any disadvantage...
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinburn wrote:
    Fix. The. Scaling.
    Ok, as this is my first Gauntlet I have no experience, but is it designed so that due to scaling one cannot make it unless you have several champed 4*s or something like that? Because with the level increase from one node to another I hit a pretty hard wall 3 steps into the second sub.

Gauntlet is supposed to be a sieve. A measuring stick of your roster. It may be harsh, but players not yet well-progressed into the game are not expected to finish.

The last run had truly horrendous scaling. So bad they did hotfix it. See here for some history on that.

This run appears (appears!) to have lower initial scaling .... a longer intro if you will ... than the last run did, easier even than it was after the hotfix.

EDIT: Well, while the initial nodes appear to be slightly lower this time, ... once you reach your personal scaling break point (around node 12, if not earlier), it appears to be the same as last run, same as the postfix that is. My Sim 12 is lvl 312, and I expect a "gradual" climb from there ... +2-3 lvls each node, for the next 30 nodes icon_lol.gif

Scaling starts slow but then in just one node it goes to God mode. In my case:

Node 9 - 122
    Node 10 - 155
    Node 11 - 195
    Node 12 - 384 !!!!!!!!

Double the level in just one jump, not bad, so much for ramping the difficulty progressively ...

For now I am just in the second sub, but I am wondering which is going to be the final difficulty level. Maybe 550? Anybody with 3 champed 5s knows?

I don't know if I am right or not, but I hate that this game is so much difficult for people with a small group of champed 5s than for the rest. I guess it was my fault for not soft-capping them at 370, I should have known better...
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    My scaling topped out at 426. My top three characters are 435 Phoenix, 420 OML, and 300 Black Suit Spidey. It's close to an average of my top 2 characters, I guess.

I also love Gauntlet. No time constraints, it's TRUE PVE. It kinda stinks that Venom is the final progression reward, but whatever. There's a ton of ISO to be made here.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    El Satanno wrote:
    I LOVE GAUNTLET.

THIS. Gauntlet is my all time favorite. I wish they would have Gauntlet up all the time. No competition. No daily time constraints. Just straight progression at your own pace for a week.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinburn wrote:
    Fix. The. Scaling.
    Ok, as this is my first Gauntlet I have no experience, but is it designed so that due to scaling one cannot make it unless you have several champed 4*s or something like that? Because with the level increase from one node to another I hit a pretty hard wall 3 steps into the second sub.

Gauntlet is supposed to be a sieve. A measuring stick of your roster. It may be harsh, but players not yet well-progressed into the game are not expected to finish.

The last run had truly horrendous scaling. So bad they did hotfix it. See here for some history on that.

This run appears (appears!) to have lower initial scaling .... a longer intro if you will ... than the last run did, easier even than it was after the hotfix.

EDIT: Well, while the initial nodes appear to be slightly lower this time, ... once you reach your personal scaling break point (around node 12, if not earlier), it appears to be the same as last run, same as the postfix that is. My Sim 12 is lvl 312, and I expect a "gradual" climb from there ... +2-3 lvls each node, for the next 30 nodes icon_lol.gif

So far I've found the scaling to be pretty good this time (though I haven't started the 3rd sub yet). Currently I've cleared the first node of all of sub 1 and all but the last 5 or so of the 2nd sub. My roster is firmly planted in 3* land. I currently have 21 3*s champed (highest around 180) and 0 4* champed or even to 13 covers yet.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    I LOVE GAUNTLET.

I guess you don't need cp anymore...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally find myself enjoying the gauntlet style PvE far more than normal PvE. The rewards are a little goofy and it sounds like scaling may be wonky for some, but I'd be OK if they switched everything to this style. This allows me to play at my pace and not feel like I have to plan my life around a mobile game.
  • Once you've finished the prologue, you have a dead tab on your page. So how about this:

Once you finish the prologue, the prologue tab is replaced by a Gauntlet tab and the Gauntlet resets every PvP season.

Then we don't have a dead tab anymore, nor piles of downtime while this event runs. You could do it at your pleasure while it runs parallel to the normal events.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    El Satanno wrote:
    I LOVE GAUNTLET.

I guess you don't need cp anymore...

I didn't say "Let's do it exactly the same way every time." Come on, now.

But you know what? If we did have it just this way, instead of the usual Story events, I'd still be happy. And you know why? Because Gauntlet is fun. Story events are not. So I'll take your appeal to extremes right on the chin. icon_cool.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    I didn't say "Let's do it exactly the same way every time." Come on, now
    But your all-caps love note didn't seem like you had any beef with it. Personally, I think it still needs a lot of work to keep me from feeling like we're getting screwed out of awards by not having a regular PvE award structure for a whole week.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do appreciate the extra ISO - I did run all the trivial nodes x3 yesterday, and then "finished" event. With no reason to run PVP except on the day it ends (thanks shielding and point losses!), I'm looking to install a different game to spend my time with this entire week. DDQ is the -only- thing I'll do today. To bad LR's don't run 24/7!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do like the gauntlet, and the 500 ISO up front is a big bonus. Still, I agree the progression rewards are outdated and in dire need of a rework. 3* teams that need Venom the most are not going to finish. The scaling is too brutal. And people with 4* champs don't get a shot at 5* draws. A few people might fill in a hole in their roster, but it is lateral movement, not improvement.

The rewards should shift down one screen. Wilderness should have a 3*, Alpine the 4*, and put 25 cp on Global Domination.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I do appreciate the extra ISO - I did run all the trivial nodes x3 yesterday, and then "finished" event. With no reason to run PVP except on the day it ends (thanks shielding and point losses!), I'm looking to install a different game to spend my time with this entire week. DDQ is the -only- thing I'll do today. To bad LR's don't run 24/7!
    So by entire week you mean except for the last day of the Hood PVP and then when Deadpool vs. MPQ starts on Thursday? And then the end of the Thor PVP on Friday?

Personally, I think this is an awesome change to the Gauntlet node rewards that deserves a lot more praise than it seems to be getting in this thread. By my calculations, just clearing all nodes one time gives you 27,000 ISO plus 6 command points. If you go back and do 2 more clears of the first sub (and we have a week, so why not?) you get another 7,800 ISO. That's huge, considering we used to get a random selection of 6 rewards (standard token, 70 ISO, 70 ISO, 70 ISO, 100 ISO, 100 ISO and 200 ISO) and it required you to hit those nodes 6 times to get those rewards. Even if you hit 200 ISO on every node (which we know didn't ever happen) you would get 11,400 ISO for clearing Gauntlet once, and it was often much less than that, since the more common reward was 70 ISO.

I love ISO, but until this change I never saw the point of going back to do more clears of Gauntlet nodes after you hit progression... now you're getting a decent amount of ISO plus 10 XP for every node you clear the rewards on. (And no critical boosts.) That's worth it, in my opinion.

I also think running The Gauntlet now was a great idea. I expect R109 to hit the app stores today, and with it comes SHIELD Clearance Levels. This gives us time to look over that feature and get into it with Deadpool Vs. MPQ on Thursday. I'm hoping the in-game preview for Deadpool Vs. MPQ goes into the game extra early so everyone can look through and weigh the various Clearance Level options. (Personally I'm wondering if the Level 7 progression rewards will be significantly better than the Level 6 progression & rank rewards.)

I expect that the next edition of Gauntlet will run using the SHIELD Clearance Level progression reward system, which will likely address some of the concerns/complaints others are having about the rewards this run.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    So by entire week you mean except for the last day of the Hood PVP and then when Deadpool vs. MPQ starts on Thursday? And then the end of the Thor PVP on Friday?
    Don't forget the Lightning rounds!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Don't forget the Lightning rounds!

Yep, don't forget LR's! Like I said in there, if only LR's ran 24/7 I'd be here a bunch today!

I like the idea of gauntlet running all season-long...but I like the idea of many more events running simultaneously so players have more option of CHOICE - when to play, what to play, how much to play. And D3 benefits - players want to play more? Health packs baby!