Deadpool’s Daily Quest: Big Enchilada Adjustment

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi all,

Here’s an update from Anthony at Demiurge regarding an adjustment to DDQ:
    “Starting on September 10th, we have made a small change to The Big Enchilada mission in Deadpool's Daily Quest. We have been seeing an uneven success rate in each of the waves of the mission. In general, we are seeing a high win rate in the first wave but more defeats in the waves after that. We will be increasing the difficulty slightly in the first wave but lowering them in subsequent waves. We hope that this will create a more balanced experience for everyone.”

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

We have been seeing an uneven success rate in each of the waves of the mission. In general, we are seeing a high win rate in the first wave but more defeats in the waves after that. We will be increasing the difficulty slightly in the first wave but lowering them in subsequent waves. We hope that this will create a more balanced experience for everyone.”[/list]

I don't know if I like this change. I prefer the first wave to be easier so I can take my time accumulating AP for the future waves. The funny thing is, I thought the original BE nodes were much harder than they are today, heck today was just 4 waves of Goons! Are the devs looking at what kind of player is often losing? If it's 2* players then yes it's not easy but I can't see this change helping much.

Let us know when the devs see high reports of Juggernaut headbutting players out of PVE
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Do the devs just not want people to succeed at their game? Why make the first wave harder?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Generally I use the first wave to build AP for the remaining three, but if the remaining three aren't going to be as beefy then I don't need to stockpile as much AP for them. Sure, why not.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    The BE is definitely easier now than it used to be.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2016
    Aren't the reasons of this observation the following,

1.) The later the wave, the player team is worn out from taking damage from the previous waves. Thus, players seem to lose in the later wave than the early wave.
    2.) The later wave often start with the AP collected/generated by the previous wave(s) and readily fire-off multiple powers to deal massive damage to the player team if not win outright.
    3.) All the bugs related to the wave node sometime mess with the player plan and put the player in a handicapped position. (cstorm passive, 3marvel passive, etc)

Increasing the difficulty of the first wave won't solve any of the above causes.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Who opened this hoping for a 4* announcement?

*slowly raises hand*
  • just keep the stupid ultron sentries out of the first wave.

please and thank you. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I don't expect to enjoy this overly much, but that is usually true of "difficulty adjustments" in any game I ever played.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    thanos8587 wrote:
    just keep the stupid ultron sentries out of the first wave.

And Ninjas! Thanks

eattack.pngicon_hand_group.pngeattack.png
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    After this adjustment, if you notice more people losing on the first wave, will you readjust to make it a more balanced experience again?
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Meander wrote:

*slowly raises hand*

That was my very first thought before I opened it. icon_lol.gif
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    This seems like a strange thing for them to address, particularly in a format they specifically made more random with the last change for more variable difficulty. In any event, right now the levels of the opponents move pretty linearly from ~Level 100 to ~Level 130 as you progress from the first wave to the fourth one (this varies slightly for symboits, which are a tab lower, in general). The announcement makes no reference to the defeats being more common against particular opponents, so presumably they're raising the average levels on the first wave and lowering the subsequent ones, so that you end up with a more flat-line difficulty, like the wave nodes in the Civil War event. I suspect this will be a relatively neutral change as far as things go, but it just seems really odd that they even took the time to address this at all.

I guess they've been on a good run of changes, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what exactly they do and how it interacts with the other things coming down the pipeline...
    BigBZ32 wrote:
    Meander wrote:

*slowly raises hand*

That was my very first thought before I opened it. icon_lol.gif

...and, yes, add me to this tally icon_e_smile.gif
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    This is a good thing. The difficulty in a wave fight shouldn't be completely backloaded.

I can imagine that it's frustrating for new players to make it through 2-3 waves before the actual hard part kicks in, as it just makes failed attempts take longer.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Isn't the whole point of a wave node that you would expect teams to lose as they progress through the waves? More people will lose not because the 2nd or 3rd wave in isolation is harder, it is because they have already taken damage from all the previous waves.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Generally I use the first wave to build AP for the remaining three, but if the remaining three aren't going to be as beefy then I don't need to stockpile as much AP for them. Sure, why not.

Agreed, I farm the first wave for AP. By the time for 3 and 4, they don't normally get moves. Thanks to Teen Jean
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    It feels to me like they are taking an observation (based on collected data) and making a tweak without analyzing why its actually occurring.

See Mr Wiggums post for the rest of my comment....I gots sniped.

(ps sorry for the hit in Hotshot RW)
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    thanos8587 wrote:
    just keep the stupid ultron sentries out of the first wave.

THIS

And Symbiotes. And Muscle. Those are the only times I'm going to wipe TBE, and they seem to always be in the first wave. Making that harder isn't going to help anything at all.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks very much for the communication. It is appreciated as always.

Turning to the subject matter of this post, I think this is a very poor use of player metrics, and a pointless change. Collecting and using player performance data is not the same thing as understanding what the data means.

Of course players do better on the first wave; their characters are fresh and they have a full complement of boosts (if they boost)! Nor does the ai get to start off with a boatload of AP (or the various passive power bugs that trigger incorrectly with wave changes). Easier later waves won't matter if players are hurt more by the first wave. That's a change that will just tread water.

I don't even understand why an even distribution of player success across all 4 waves is desirable? Isn't the point of that wave "your roster must be this good to get a 3* cover every day"? If that's true, then surely the absolute success rate (i.e. how many beat all 4 waves) is the important stat.

I want to wait and see how much they have jacked up the difficulty in the first wave, but I am very skeptical.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think a better solution would be to keep it as is. Just add an additional wave node with the first wave super easy, then each wave gradually gets harder. And to make it even better, they should repeat the bug from the first run of Enemy of the State and make it an infinite wave that just gets harder as you go. Well, maybe not infinite, maybe a cap at 10-15 waves. And the reward could be a 4* cover. Then leave Crash of the Titans every 5 days, but change the reward to a 5*. Problem solved. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fine with making first node harder.

I'm also fine with making it always goon-only, like it used to be.....