How could someone attack me 3x in a row?

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quick update.

I just started the game and had lost 67 points in hotshot. I have not even hit 400 in progression. I got popped by a champed torch, creepy Bobby, and champed/boosted red hulk. I got hit by 5 people. 3 of them had champed 4 stars.

All I have is champed 3 stars and a few 5's with up to 3 covers. There is no point in me trying to retal that. And that happens for the entire event. It's not enjoyable at all.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    tiomono wrote:
    Quick update.

I just started the game and had lost 67 points in hotshot. I have not even hit 400 in progression. I got popped by a champed torch, creepy Bobby, and champed/boosted red hulk. I got hit by 5 people. 3 of them had champed 4 stars.

All I have is champed 3 stars and a few 5's with up to 3 covers. There is no point in me trying to retal that. And that happens for the entire event. It's not enjoyable at all.
    An unboosted champed 4* is the same level as your 5*s. Have you even tried retaliating? I imagine it is tough, but not unwinnable - especially with the right TUs.

If you can't handle taking hits, then PvP is not for you. Either understand that you are going to struggle to make progress at times and deal with it, or just stick to PvE. The trick to climbing above your weight often just comes down to timing. Sometimes you can't play more than a battle without getting hit by 5 guys at once, and other times you might go an hour without a hit coming in. Use those quiet times to hit progression targets, and stop spinning your wheels when it is hot out.
  • tiomono
    tiomono wrote:
    Quick update.

An unboosted champed 4* is the same level as your 5*s. Have you even tried retaliating? I imagine it is tough, but not unwinnable - especially with the right TUs.

If you can't handle taking hits, then PvP is not for you. Either understand that you are going to struggle to make progress at times and deal with it, or just stick to PvE. The trick to climbing above your weight often just comes down to timing. Sometimes you can't play more than a battle without getting hit by 5 guys at once, and other times you might go an hour without a hit coming in. Use those quiet times to hit progression targets, and stop spinning your wheels when it is hot out.

I would gladly hit unboosted 4's. I often do for around 40 points. Do you think I should retal vs a red hulk at 370, a iceman at 280, and a torch 30 levels above my own champed torch for 17 points? Before I have even hit 400 points? Which according to most everyone those teams shouldn't even be seeing me.

I can handle a hit, it just stincks bleeding points to rosters that I am not capable of dealing with well. And no I'm not going to put my 3 black silver surfer vs champed boosted red hulk for a chance at 17 points.

Just say yeah the system is off and needs tweaking. If I have to follow some insanely long list of guidelines on timing and slices and baking and cupcakes and line etc etc....
    And none of that info is even hinted at in game, the game needs tweaking.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    tiomono wrote:
    Do you think I should retal vs a red hulk at 370, a iceman at 280, and a torch 30 levels above my own champed torch for 17 points? Before I have even hit 400 points?
    No, that wouldnt be very smart. They already beat you, and youd still be worth more than the 17 you gain back. But you should HAVE that retal as an option. That team isnt all that crazy.
    tiomono wrote:
    I can handle a hit, it just stincks bleeding points to rosters that I am not capable of dealing with well. And no I'm not going to put my 3 black silver surfer vs champed boosted red hulk for a chance at 17 points.
    Youre probably bleeding points because you are floating above your natural float point based on the time left and team out. What rank were you when you got hit? What team did you have out? If there are two days left, youre in the T10, and dont have 2x champed 5*s out, then yes, expect to bleed points.....til you fall back to your natural float level for the circumstances.
    tiomono wrote:
    If I have to follow some insanely long list of guidelines on timing and slices and baking and cupcakes and line etc etc....
    You dont have to. But the game WILL figure out your natural float point for you. If you would like to exceed that, then you do need to "game" the system......by using some of those guidelines (a better word is: strategies).
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    MarvelMan wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    Do you think I should retal vs a red hulk at 370, a iceman at 280, and a torch 30 levels above my own champed torch for 17 points? Before I have even hit 400 points?
    No, that wouldnt be very smart. They already beat you, and youd still be worth more than the 17 you gain back. But you should HAVE that retal as an option. That team isnt all that crazy.
    tiomono wrote:
    Youre probably bleeding points because you are floating above your natural float point based on the time left and team out. What rank were you when you got hit? What team did you have out? If there are two days left, youre in the T10, and dont have 2x champed 5*s out, then yes, expect to bleed points.....til you fall back to your natural float level for the circumstances.
    tiomono wrote:
    If I have to follow some insanely long list of guidelines on timing and slices and baking and cupcakes and line etc etc....
    You dont have to. But the game WILL figure out your natural float point for you. If you would like to exceed that, then you do need to "game" the system......by using some of those guidelines (a better word is: strategies).
    I love how people like to blurt out the word strategy as if they are talking to people without a life outside of marvel puzzle quest. Let me ask you a question. How do you use strategy that clearly requires to devote most of your life to this. Play at night, play at a certain slice, shield at a certain time and hop. Is that what is required from a simple mobile game? Do you people not have a job or family to take care of?

Clearly for a mobile game, the pvp system is broken.
  • Fightmastermpq
    dsds wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    I love how people like to blurt out the word strategy as if they are talking to people without a life outside of marvel puzzle quest. Let me ask you a question. How do you use strategy that clearly requires to devote most of your life to this. Play at night, play at a certain slice, shield at a certain time and hop. Is that what is required from a simple mobile game? Do you people not have a job or family to take care of?

I think you would actually be shocked at how many high end players have families and successful careers. How else would they be able to finance such strong rosters.

You are a casual complaining about not being able to play a competitive game mode. Clearly your expectations are broken.
  • dsds
    dsds wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    tiomono wrote:

I think you would actually be shocked at how many high end players have families and successful careers. How else would they be able to finance such strong rosters.

You are a casual complaining about not being able to play a competitive game mode. Clearly your expectations are broken.
    There are so many more that have carreers and family that don't have high end rosters or rank very high. They aren't on this forum because clearly they have better things to do than play the game and go on the forums.

The casuals complaining make up a very small portion of this forum but they ARE THE MAJORITY OF THE PLAYERS in this game!!!!
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Whine whine whine...

F2P here, hit 1.3k every event and yet my life doesn't revolve around mpq.

When a new pvp event starts, I play when I have time and get to my float point, which is around 600 for me. This usually takes 30 min or so, which can be spread out.

Then, when I have another 30 min dedicated, I push hard from 600 to around 1k. Put up a 3 hr or 8 hr shield. In that period, i queue 4 big targets and then I need 10 min for my final hop to 1.3k.

All done with 1 shield, 2 at most, no money spent , little more than an hour invested over a 3 day period and no families neglected.

And the same principle applies to whichever progression is your target. Get to your float point, let your hp recharge, and then hit fast until you reach your goal.
  • tiomono
    MarvelMan wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    tiomono wrote:

So you are saying my float point is 250 to 300 points with 3 champed 3 stars? When I am ranked about 70.

I still don't understand how I am a target for rosters 100+ levels above the best I can field. And no I do not count my 5 stars as worth putting out in pvp. With my roster I can take out 1 to 5 cover 5 stars with ease. So when they look juicy to me with boosted 3 stars I know the 4 and 5 star people view them as seed teams.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    tiomono wrote:
    So you are saying my float point is 250 to 300 points with 3 champed 3 stars? When I am ranked about 70.

I still don't understand how I am a target for rosters 100+ levels above the best I can field. And no I do not count my 5 stars as worth putting out in pvp. With my roster I can take out 1 to 5 cover 5 stars with ease. So when they look juicy to me with boosted 3 stars I know the 4 and 5 star people view them as seed teams.

Think of the float point as a .... target that rises during the course of the event. This event just started for example, so the float point where you are either invisible/not worth points to those big hitters is pretty low. By tomorrow/friday your float point should be much higher.

You don't get to ever truly become invisible from heavy hitters for the whole event, just...parts of it. A system where you were completely invisible to higher rosters would lead to a whole pandoras box of soft-capped rosters and probably other exploits I can't think of
  • dsds
    Kjeldbjerg wrote:
    Whine whine whine...

When a new pvp event starts, I play when I have time and get to my float point, which is around 600 for me. This usually takes 30 min or so, which can be spread out.

Then, when I have another 30 min dedicated, I push hard from 600 to around 1k. Put up a 3 hr or 8 hr shield. In that period, i queue 4 big targets and then I need 10 min for my final hop to 1.3k.

All done with 1 shield, 2 at most, no money spent , little more than an hour invested over a 3 day period and no families neglected.

And the same principle applies to whichever progression is your target. Get to your float point, let your hp recharge, and then hit fast until you reach your goal.
    Congratz on hitting 1.3 k every time. I've never hit 1.3k. You make up the minority of people that hit it and can fit this game into your life. It doesn't mean everyone can. It just means, that this game so happens to fit your schedule and that you have the roster for it maybe because you dedicating more time earlier or that you were very lucky to get that roster.

It explains nothing except that it proves my point that most people on the forum have high level rosters. I have a pretty good roster and my float point is around 300-500pts depending on who is boosted. I would guess you have quite a few champed 4* characters.
  • tiomono
    cyineedsn wrote:
    tiomono wrote:

Think of the float point as a .... target that rises during the course of the event. This event just started for example, so the float point where you are either invisible/not worth points to those big hitters is pretty low. By tomorrow/friday your float point should be much higher.

You don't get to ever truly become invisible from heavy hitters for the whole event, just...parts of it. A system where you were completely invisible to higher rosters would lead to a whole pandoras box of soft-capped rosters and probably other exploits I can't think of

OK so the higher rosters that say all they see is rosters stronger than their own are lying/exaggerating?

There has been some very good advice in this discussion, and apparently some very misleading statements.

I think I am just going to accept that for now I can hit max prog and place in top 100 for story. And hit about 500 and top 200 for vs for now. With the time and effort I am able to give the game. Which is fine. Just a bit frustrating.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono wrote:

Knowing how your MMR is calculated, and how the float points changes (as total scores build) are important parts of simplifying the game. These variables change dynamically and affect your visibility to different level rosters.

Yes these things are hidden on purpose, but if you watch the game and how people play you can see all the trends that simplify the game. In many ways, its like trying to write down the the laws of physics. It pays to be observant and experiment. To answer your specific question, you overclimbed past the herd. Once that happened, the 5* rosters could see your que and you were inevitably the easiest match available. There is a reason why the scores move up in a herd!

Many people play the game casually without considering their Score (var x), Rank (variable y), Time left (variable z) and team composotion (Var R).

All 4 of those variables directly effect and impact who you see and who can see you. It pays to develop either a sense of intution or learn how to adjust those variables. All of this has been discussed and explored on the many Line groups. I would strongly suggest talking in one of the the line groups to learn about those techniques and tactics.

Or just play the game casually.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Kjeldbjerg wrote:
    Whine whine whine...

Here's a bit of perspective from the bottom of the hill.

Obviously this is different worlds here, as my highest score EVER in a (non-newb bracket) PvP is 620. I'm still in the 2-3* transition; 4 champed 2*s, a half-dozen usable (10+ covers) 3*s, and a few 1-3 cover 4*s that are handy for essential nodes in PvE and not much else, so my float point is 250ish. And I am realistic about what I should expect to do at this point - I really am.

But here's the thing - I *can't* spend HP on shields. At all. Not one or two shields per event, but zero.

I still need every one I can scrounge for roster spots, and (aside from PvE) when you can only reliably earn 25 HP per PvP event (the 25 HP at 575 is a rarity for me, and I've never earned the 50 at 725), you simply can't afford to shield unless you are willing to just throw away covers. The last time I was in a newb bracket I managed to finish t25 for 3 Patch covers (which was a big deal for me). Since then it's a rarity that I manage to finish t100, which means usually no extra HP and no 3* cover.

So shielding is completely out for me, unless I am willing to pay to play.

What I am left with instead is the standard join/play/float approach (I've tried joining slices early, late, with 1 day left, with 2 hours left, etc, with no real difference in outcome), and then push as hard as I can for the final 90 or so minutes of the event. I have to skip almost every team with even a one-cover 5* because I just can't afford the match damage. And I have to keep playing constantly to make any net progress, since the champed 3* and mid-4* rosters start queuing me up by the time I hit 400ish points. So I end up basically bobbing up and down between 450 and 550 for the last 20 minutes, hoping I have timed my health pack supply properly.

As a result, I can't actually get to the HP rewards that make shielding to get the HP rewards worthwhile. And I can't reliably climb high enough to even see the cupcakes that make shielding viable. And if I ever do, I simply can't hit fast enough with my roster to take out more than 1 without taking a net loss - my roster is just too juicy at this point for anyone to pass up at that point level.

I know the answer is to just keep slogging (4k season rewards, PvE, DDQ, etc) until I can hit the 575 and 725 rewards and get past this phase, but it is a bit frustrating at times to see advice that "anyone can do what I do if they are willing to put in the time and effort", and to know that it is simply not true. There are strategies that are simply not possible to use until you have reached certain milestones.

On the topic of cupcakes:

I was lucky enough to have a couple of my better covered 3*s boosted in one of the recent events, so I hit the mid-500s , and I saw one of the fabled cupcakes (and there was much rejoicing!) But I waited (because I Read The Forums!), and I fought 1 more match (because That's What You Do)! And I got hit 3 times and my targets were all red and when I skipped them the cupcake was NOT underneath them (and there was much sadness).

But I kept fighting! And I saw another cupcake! And this time I said screw etiquette, and I immediately clicked Fight! And I apparently got hit while I was using healthpacks (yes, in that 5 second window before I clicked Fight again), and the cupcake team was ninja-replaced somehow and I ended up fighting the guy that had just smacked me instead (and there was much sadness again).

So, yeah. I will pre-emptively apologize to any of the lovely bakers out there. I love everything you do, but I am afraid that cupcake etiquette is simply not possible to observe with my roster. It's pointless to queue up cupcakes from my float point, and when I'm in *my* upper range, I can't wait 10 minutes, 5 minutes, or even 1 fight without losing the cupcake entirely. So my options are to either piss off a baker and face retribution (as per the OP), or wait and lose out on hitting cupcakes entirely. Neither option is good, and both end up hurting my ability to get over the 575/725 barrier.

Is there something obvious I'm missing that would let me keep those cupcakes in my queue? Or is it just Working As Intended (tm)? (and how does Kjeldbjerg queue up 4 targets??)

TL;DR - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB WHINING!!!!! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Fightmastermpq
    tiomono wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:
    tiomono wrote:

OK so the higher rosters that say all they see is rosters stronger than their own are lying/exaggerating?

There has been some very good advice in this discussion, and apparently some very misleading statements.

I think I am just going to accept that for now I can hit max prog and place in top 100 for story. And hit about 500 and top 200 for vs for now. With the time and effort I am able to give the game. Which is fine. Just a bit frustrating.
    Read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45391

Also stop saying you are seeing rosters 100+ levels above you. You aren't. You have 5*s that you chose to roster and choose not to use, and you are seeing teams with comparable levels.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    I am not impressed by high scores in PVP, because it mainly boils down to who has the strongest roster. PVP seems more like the reward for building your roster (by pve, buying, longevity etc.) and not an indication of your skill at the actual puzzle game-play. To me real PVP would be one on one timed matches. Current PVP should be renamed to "Roster Bullying with an edge to those who play faster".
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    cyineedsn wrote:
    tiomono wrote:

Just to elaborate on this point:

If you start an event as it just opens, all anyone sees is seed teams, so the early players clear them to 101 points. They then attack each other. Below 700-800 points, if player A attacks player B, and they trade retals back and forth, these matches are actually net positive in points, so player A and B can climb to 700-800 points just by trading blows, if they choose to do so (and nobody loses a match). The more matches that are played early on, the more points gradually become available in a shard. Very early on in an event, pretty much no-one is going to be sitting above 600-700 points, which means that your float point early on is going to be extremely low, because of the lack of overall points available.

In other words, your float point in Hotshot with 2 days to go (which is when you posted) is going be 250-300 points with that roster. As the event goes on, people climb higher, and the average score within that shard goes up, and your float point goes up with it. Remember, your float point is determined by what value targets are around, and how strong or weak your roster is relative to other players. By the time we enter the last 12 hours of the event, your float point may very well be around 600 points, because there are a lot more points available within the shard, and higher value targets available to players, so they're not going to want to hit you, anyway (which is part of what determines your float point).

Which brings us to MMR. Under most circumstances, your MMR matches you with players of similar roster to you (NOT similar teams fielded, but similar rosters). So, for instance, if I'm climbing with a pair of level 435 5*s (my strongest pair), every single team I see is going to have a level 390+ 5* plus a boosted 4* or another 5*. I can queue teams up to level 475 5*s from general observation (which are really tough, but not impossible to beat). As long as the MMR algorithm can match me with equivalent teams of a reasonable point value, it will do so. (Incidentally, this is where you hear us complaining about MMR hell, where we can only queue the same 5 players over, and over again, because there's no one else around worth points at that stage in the event within our MMR).

There is, however a point where the MMR breaks down. Say, I'm climbing early in the event, and I reach 700 points, and there's absolutely no one around left for me to target - they're all below me, and the MMR can't find a valid target otherwise. The MMR will then break down and show me pretty much everyone in a reasonable vicinity to me. They're all going to be worth less than 30 points. Often times, I'll find myself with a whole bunch of 1-5 point matches. THAT'S the point at which my 5* team will be able to see your 3* team, not before.

When people say they're frontrunning in an event, often times what they're doing is slowly and painfully playing 1 point matches up to a reasonable score (say 900-1000 points), then shielding and letting everyone bounce off them, which then generates more points in a shard. The more points, the higher your float point, and the easier it is for you to get your progression.

The PvP system is a funny thing. If it were left to be purely dog-eat-dog, pretty much no one would get progression without heavy, heavy use of shields (if you look at Balance of Power, that's a case in point - it's 5-6+ shields to reach 1300). A little bit of cooperation adds more points to the shard, which reduces EVERYONE'S use of shields. A rising tide floats all boats, as it were.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Kjeldbjerg wrote:

how do you queue 4 targets?
  • chamber44 wrote:
    Kjeldbjerg wrote:

how do you queue 4 targets?

If I'm not mistaken, the last node which you Q has a good chance to cache the same target, so you clear the last node first and skip up to 6 times in that node to see if your target is cached in that node.
  • tiomono
    tiomono wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:
    tiomono wrote:

Read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45391

Also stop saying you are seeing rosters 100+ levels above you. You aren't. You have 5*s that you chose to roster and choose not to use, and you are seeing teams with comparable levels.

Everyone says 5*'s are the high end game. They also say they are frustratingly rare. My 5's are at lvl 255 and I see no value in putting all my iso into them for a few levels when I have a 3 black ss.

Are you suggesting to me that I should throw away the end game covers I have earned so that I can reach the endgame?

And stop saying I am not seeing teams 100+ levels above me when my torch is 301 champed and buffed and my next highest character is a lvl 271 3* champed/buffed Thor and I get hit repeatedly by 370+ buffed red hulks, that have torches 30ish levels above mine.

When you from start to finish of an event get hit by rosters where all 3 opponents are anywhere from 30 to 100+ above the very best you can reasonably put out there and they are not worth the points to hit them back it suck's the fun out of the game.

And I read through some of that linked topic. Looks like the majority in there say don't level your 5's till your ready to max 2 or 3. Unless one of your best is ss then don't bother. Once you pass 405 on levels all you are going to see is oml.