How could someone attack me 3x in a row?

Comments

• madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Alsmir wrote:

So how much time, how much time spend practicing and what do I need to learn to prevent getting hit by 2+ champed 4* characters in PvP, while all I have is 2 3* champs?

I love that attitude: "It's kinda broken, but it was broken for me so it's only fair if it's broken for everyone else. Learn to play issue!"

So, this is a little outdated but it might help: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33283

As for the attitude: It is a lot less broken now than it was a few months ago. The amount of iso/4* covers available now between championing, recycling 2*, fixed PVE events and SHIELD levels is immensely helpful in the 3* to 4* transition. However, championing created new problems by making the gulf between 3* and 4* much more immense. D3/Demi created this monster by adding these extra tiers of characters and no feasible way to separate gameplay between the tiers. So, you have 3*s getting beaten on by 4*s getting beaten on by 5*s Part of that seams reasonable to me as you should only be able to climb as far as your roster allows. Part of it seams terrible to me as there should be some separation, which is partially what I'm hoping to see out of Clearance Levels.

So, it's not great, but it's not terrible either. If you are looking for a "Match-3 game with your favorite Marvel characters" then stick to Story Mode. Also accept that maxed 3*s ain't what they used to be and work at building up your 4*s.

Or, you know, pay money like D3/Demi wants.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Alsmir wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    Also, for those complaining about 3* rosters getting stomped on by heavy hitters (4*/5*) is it possible that you are starting the climb in PVP too early? I would love to know when you actually start playing each round. If you start really early and you are hanging around at a lower level, it is possible that the 4*/5* rosters that are hitting you are hitting you during their late game climb. They may be starting their run withing the last 13 (or less) hours of an event and if you are just sitting there they will see you in their queue until they get high enough that you are no longer within range.

i think this is where the disconnect is with MPQ. It morphed into a game full of loopholes and exploitations, meaning that there are definite strategies to success (when to play, what slice works, etc). This means it's harder and harder for those of us who can't play at optimum times to keep progressing. That's not really anyone's fault ... it's just a bummer for the people who (fairly or unfairly) just wanted to play a simple Match-3 game skinned with their favorite comic book characters.

You can still play the match-3 game w/o penalty. It is still there. The rest of the game is based on roster strength and strategy and it takes time to get to that level of play. It is not a perfect system but it's not terrible either. Again, it's like any other game/thing in life: you want to be better/do better? - put in the time, the practice and the time to learn about the game/strategy and you will do much better. If people are not wiling to put that time in, then they will continue to perform at the same level.

So how much time, how much time spend practicing and what do I need to learn to prevent getting hit by 2+ champed 4* characters in PvP, while all I have is 2 3* champs?

I love that attitude: "It's kinda broken, but it was broken for me so it's only fair if it's broken for everyone else. Learn to play issue!"
    It's not broken, it's competitive. Your roster is weak and you expect to compete with those who have stronger rosters. What on Earth would make you think you should be wildly successful in that competition?

Don't like getting hit by bigger rosters? Go play PvE. You will always get hit by similar and stronger rosters regardless of what you do, but the bigger your roster the more teams you can fight, and the higher you can score.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    [

Don't like getting hit by bigger rosters? Go play PvE. You will always get hit by similar and stronger rosters regardless of what you do, but the bigger your roster the more teams you can fight, and the higher you can score.

I expect being matched agains opponents who have similar rosters to mine.

Once again, justyfing broken mechanics.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I'm feeling the op.

My roster is ok, a couple of champed 4 stars, every 3 star maxed, some decent 5 stars (though no red OML yet grr).

But hitting 1000 is basically impossible.

Around 800 I run into a loop where no matter how many times I skip, 30, 40 times, it's just the same 6 or 7 opponents, all with the current buffed maxed 4 stars or a 330+ OML (with red obv). I can't reliably beat these rosters, which is fine, but it's impossible to find someone in any queue with less than that. I'm not asking for 2 or even 3 stars, but a transitioning 4 star roster like mine. Today it's all 367 red hulks + (mostly) SW. I'm basically willing to spend whatever ISO needed to skip to what I need, but it doesn't work! Just the same 6 or so opponents in my queue.

Well, I can't skip too long, since I lose 100 or 200 on defense after every match once I hit 800 or so.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alsmir wrote:
    [

I expect being matched agains opponents who have similar rosters to mine.

Once again, justyfing broken mechanics.
    No one is getting matched with opponents with similar rosters though - it's (almost) always someone stronger.
  • madsalad
    Jexman wrote:
    I'm feeling the op.

My roster is ok, a couple of champed 4 stars, every 3 star maxed, some decent 5 stars (though no red OML yet grr).

But hitting 1000 is basically impossible.

Around 800 I run into a loop where no matter how many times I skip, 30, 40 times, it's just the same 6 or 7 opponents, all with the current buffed maxed 4 stars or a 330+ OML (with red obv). I can't reliably beat these rosters, which is fine, but it's impossible to find someone in any queue with less than that. I'm not asking for 2 or even 3 stars, but a transitioning 4 star roster like mine. Today it's all 367 red hulks + (mostly) SW. I'm basically willing to spend whatever ISO needed to skip to what I need, but it doesn't work! Just the same 6 or so opponents in my queue.

Well, I can't skip too long, since I lose 100 or 200 on defense after every match once I hit 800 or so.

Again, I ask the question about what time you are joining a slice. If you join too early or climb to early, there aren't enough people above you to get points from. You then hit a ceiling earlier than you should and the people above you are all going to be way to powerful. Not only that but now you are hanging out at a point total where people who were climbing will see you and start beating on you in order to get max points for their climb (since you are in the 800 point range with a less-than-stellar roster). It is a balance of starting time, where to "hover" and how to best use shields/hop. When I get to a point where I'm seeing the same 7-10 people and/or all available battles are in the 7-30 point range, I shield and wait a while to try to re-queue new battles against people who have climbed over me while shielded.

Also, some slices seem to be better than others for points available in the slice and that is thanks to the high-end people baking up some cupcakes. The higher the point distribution is in a slice, the better off / more insulated you will be on your climb to 1k as there will be more points available for everyone. It's when you join a slice where no one is baking cupcakes that you are going to have a hard row to hoe since as you approach 1K/1.3K there are less and less people above you and battles will provide less points and be against killer team, then battles will take longer leaving you vulnerable for longer amounts of time. Sometimes you also just need to know when to cut your losses and shield to until the end of the event.
  • Jexman
    Thanks; I live in Europe so I usually join the slice that ends at midnight (slice 3) or, when the schedule gets shifted in the slices, at 9pm (slice 5). But usually slice 3. I tend to climb to 300 right away, push to ~600 day 2, and try to climb the rest in the last day.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Jex/
  • madsalad
    Jexman wrote:
    Thanks; I live in Europe so I usually join the slice that ends at midnight (slice 3) or, when the schedule gets shifted in the slices, at 9pm (slice 5). But usually slice 3. I tend to climb to 300 right away, push to ~600 day 2, and try to climb the rest in the last day.

When I still had a transitioning roster I found that joining about 2.5 hours prior to the end of the slice and just grind like hell. That was when I started reliably hitting 1k in PVP. This may also help with placement rewards as typically when you join toward the end of the slice, you will have less players you are playing against instead of a full slice.
  • Jexman
    alright cool I will try that! I just need 4 star covers right now, I'm happy to grind for ISO but my roster is on the verge of being decent and the problem is lack of 4 star covers, and I can't just grind 4 star covers except in PVE which is not as much fun as PVP b/c of the lack of variety of events / opponents.

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    early climbing is nearly all done on equal/lower teams to you. those who started the event earlier and have built some points. so the earlier you start, the more points you'll have for everyone who starts after you. and there's no reason to take on a roster at the top of your mmr for 74pts when you can take the 61 pt match against someone on the low end of your mmr. once you reach your float/hover/equilibrium level, the only matches worth points are generally those at the top end of your mmr. you might dismiss all the ones at the lower end of your mmr because they're not worth points, but they're there. climbing to 1K or beyond requires you to figure out how to beat those teams above your roster strength. some weeks its easier than others because of boosteds.
  • Jexman
    "you might dismiss all the ones at the lower end of your mmr because they're not worth points, but they're there"

I'm not sure of this; two PVPs in a row I've tried to push for 1k and hit a pocket of the same 6-7 opponents---in fact, at least two of them are the same players, between this PVP and the last one! (not gonna name names, but it was a macho roster.)

the problem with trying to beat rosters with 367 red hulk w/o a boosted 4 star (for example) is that I lose points after every single battle once I reach 800. and we're talking like losing 50-100 points each time. I get eaten by your 445 OMLs. so it's hard to risk taking on the 367 red hulks because if I lose, then I'm even further from 1k.

In the last PVP I was a moron and tried to keep up with the losses. I kept winning but each win ended with me losing 100 pts. I probably scored close to 2000 in the PVP but with the losses ended up at 650 or so. It wasn't fun!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apologize in advance if I have offended. The most recent posts however, contradict the early ones which say that most of you heavy hitters have truce amongst yourselves. This is what I call cartel.

I just want to have pleasant experience from a game. Games that are difficult, but fair, tend to give me that experience.

I enjoy PVP because it pits me with a varied opponents, unlike in PVE where it's Jugg and Moonstone all over again each time.

I play as I have time, I don't often have the luxury to wait until the last 2 hours or whatever tactics necessary to go anywhere in PVP.

The best advice I can give is "manage your expectations".

If you are unable or unwilling to get on Line or whatever other coordinating platforms exist, and can't devote several hours and significant HP for shield hopping, don't even try. You will end up with whatever rewards you achieved before becoming visible to the competitive crowd and a heap of frustration.

I'd like to think my roster is mid-tier, but robust. I've never hit 700 in PvP. I think I climbed to 650 once and got slammed down to 300 in a couple hours. It's a whole different game. If you're not ready to go there, aim for 400/event, hit the heroic 10-pack for the season, and let the rest go.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jexman wrote:

the problem with trying to beat rosters with 367 red hulk w/o a boosted 4 star (for example) is that I lose points after every single battle once I reach 800. and we're talking like losing 50-100 points each time. I get eaten by your 445 OMLs. so it's hard to risk taking on the 367 red hulks because if I lose, then I'm even further from 1k.

In the last PVP I was a moron and tried to keep up with the losses. I kept winning but each win ended with me losing 100 pts. I probably scored close to 2000 in the PVP but with the losses ended up at 650 or so. It wasn't fun!

I completely agree. I'm a bit taken aback by the claims that you don't need to shield. I think people making that claim would have to have deep 4 & 5 start rosters, and aren't really in touch with the current state of playing with a still transitioning team.

I was having the exact same problem in the last event simply trying to push to the 3* Cyclops reward at 800. It wasn't that the matches I was playing were unwinnable. I probably did ten in a row without me losing. But, each time I won, the ai simultaneously playing for me lost. With every win, is been hit by another Rhulk or OML for just as many points.
    TxMoose wrote:
    climbing to 1K or beyond requires you to figure out how to beat those teams above your roster strength.

Nah. The real secret to 1000+ play is shielding, skipping a bunch to find three teams with a loaner and two characters under level 50 (ideally with external chat rooms), waiting a bit, hitting them all in one go as fast as possible, and reshielding. Repeat as necessary.
  • madsalad
    Calnexin wrote:
    Apologize in advance if I have offended. The most recent posts however, contradict the early ones which say that most of you heavy hitters have truce amongst yourselves. This is what I call cartel.

I just want to have pleasant experience from a game. Games that are difficult, but fair, tend to give me that experience.

I enjoy PVP because it pits me with a varied opponents, unlike in PVE where it's Jugg and Moonstone all over again each time.

I play as I have time, I don't often have the luxury to wait until the last 2 hours or whatever tactics necessary to go anywhere in PVP.

The best advice I can give is "manage your expectations".

If you are unable or unwilling to get on Line or whatever other coordinating platforms exist, and can't devote several hours and significant HP for shield hopping, don't even try. You will end up with whatever rewards you achieved before becoming visible to the competitive crowd and a heap of frustration.

I'd like to think my roster is mid-tier, but robust. I've never hit 700 in PvP. I think I climbed to 650 once and got slammed down to 300 in a couple hours. It's a whole different game. If you're not ready to go there, aim for 400/event, hit the heroic 10-pack for the season, and let the rest go.

I totally agree with manage your expectations but I'm not nearly as defeatist as you. I have never used LINE or coordinated with my, or other, alliances. That being said, even before I had my OML I was starting to hit 1k on the reg in PVP with maxed 3*s and a a few higher level (not maxed) 4*s. It required some limited shield hopping and strategic timing in the slice but it was all with HP earned in game, not bought.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Hope the shield clearance levels fix this. You can fight more fights with higher shield rank, so no longer need to compete with the lower rank players for the same rewards. Maybe MMR will be fixed. It is broken now and anyone who thinks it isn't either has a 5* roster or aren't playing pvp. If you are at the top of food chain, you can't be matched with anyone higher, it's impossible.

A huge number of members of the forum are 5* roster players or very high 4* rosters. Makes sense since some of these guys have been on forums for years, so of course they have been playing for a long time.
  • Jexman
    Yeah I've been playing since about a month after the game was released but I'm still pretty casual. I was in a top 25 alliance for a few seasons but the pressure to hit high PVP scores every time was incompatible with my working life. I have lots of hero points gained in game, so I can shield when needed.

so let me get this right: the consensus is that I should try joining a slice only near the end of that slice when I want to push for 1k?

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jexman wrote:
    so let me get this right: the consensus is that I should try joining a slice only near the end of that slice when I want to push for 1k?
    I think the advice to late join was mainly to help limit attacks and get good placement. late joining does not always end up in having a lot of points available out there because most all the big point guys are shielded, so you probably need to decide progression vs placement. progression = join earlier and climb during an active time when other are climbing ahead of you so there are points to be had. placement = join late in hopes of a fresh bracket and limits attack possibilities because you start low points and by the time the system catches up with your real points its near event end.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huatimus wrote:
    Is there a gang of people who're targeting you so hard that you can't even compete? Pretty sure that's a no.

Is there a gang of people forcing you to do things their way and dictate how you play the game? Pretty sure that's a no too.

Is there a bunch of people who're only hitting each other while shielded/cup caking to inject more points into the system so that everyone gets more points and easier to hit progression rewards for everybody? That's a yes, and if that counts as a truce and a cartel, then I guess you're right by your definitions.

I don't think that it's fair to blame high level rosters at any rate when it's obviously the system that's screwed up. Low level rosters complain that they're being beaten by high level rosters, high level rosters complain that they're being matched against each other only.

@tiomono I'm going to hazard a guess that you have at least 2 5* in your roster and that makes level 270+ 4* a suitable match for you(in the eyes of the current system even if your 5* does not have a lot of covers).

I do have some 5's. I'm not trying to blame high level rosters for me feeling like the progression stinks. It's Cleary the system.

It's just extremely frustrating that while being restricted by real life time/responsibilities I can only play at certain times or for so long. To continuously get hit by obviously superior rosters at any time during the event (I'm not just getting hit at the start of the event but also at the end)
    Is extremely frustrating and discouraging.

With the time I can give to the game I could either beat my head against a broken PVP system and maybe get 1 3 star cover as a reward. Or I can play story and get three 3 star covers and 25 cp. Hmm mm tough call there.

Pvp needs changed period. It's not the players fault but it's too much of a slog.
  • Jexman
    Thanks, yes I only care about progression at this point. I want the 1k 4 star covers. I'm not gonna get #1 & I'm happy to accrue 3 star covers more slowly at this point since they're all champed.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jexman wrote:

I'm also on CET, and for the Monday-Wednesday tournaments I usually pick Slice 1. I used to pick Slice 5 and had to struggle to get past 1000, but in Slice 1 1300 is usually not a problem.