Massive kick in the teeth

Comments

• Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    with all this talk about people "only using px for winfinite," I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more px rewards and/or a nerf to one of the three characters used for said team.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Peej13 wrote:
    with all this talk about people "only using px for winfinite," I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more px rewards and/or a nerf to one of the three characters used for said team.

Now that would be a massive kick in the teeth
  • __Adam
    __Adam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    I see people claiming 'most people have px covered'; can that be substantiated? 50% of the MPQ population having him max covered seems really unlikely to me.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    --Adam wrote:
    I see people claiming 'most people have px covered'; can that be substantiated? 50% of the MPQ population having him max covered seems really unlikely to me.

Probably not even that many, BUT only top 10% alliances will probably finish this as they have made ultron even harder than before by giving him board moving ability. So very few people in those top 10% alliances will probably need px covers.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Professor X has been my super elusive character. I've only ever drawn one from random chance, so mine is still woefully undercovered. I get the unrest, but, I'm happy.

So, I guess the question is how do you make the game for long time vets, players with strange holes created by RNG, and newcomers alike.

And, of course, they've solved this problem once already for 3*s via fixed rewards out of DDQ. They simply refuse to acknowledge they've dug themselves into the exact same hole for 4*s, and it's time to fix it. Heck, they could even limit 4* DDQ to characters over a year old, and it still would be a major help. That way, the could spice up the big boss events with some new hotness like Banner or Peggy, and still allow people get the things they should have by now in DDQ.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    The awkward moment where not everyone is a veteran.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I opened Ultron really hoping for 5* Hulk rewards just like Civil War had 5* rewards TWICE IN A ROW.

4*'s matter very little in the game anymore - but specific covers are also in very few places. It wouldn't hurt to put the -NEW- 4*'s out there in some of those places to get players some of those characters rather than relying on RNG. I mean...you just ran a fun 75th Cap event. How many complaints would you see if you gave out no 5* but three Peggy covers? I'd love to see three Peggy covers out there.

Also doesn't help that your next PVP (Vision) has a PX for 1K progression...that's a lot of old covers given out in a row. I guess my 2nd PX thanks you?

This really shows you that now without much to spend HP on at upper levels (unlikely the 2* alliances will be getting final progression....) that D3 sees no reason to "force" you into buying roster slots anymore. They tried that experiment by releasing four characters in a month, and it obviously got very little HP money back to them.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 wrote:
    --Adam wrote:

Probably not even that many, BUT only top 10% alliances will probably finish this as they have made ultron even harder than before by giving him board moving ability. So very few people in those top 10% alliances will probably need px covers.

My alliance always finishes top 100 PvE and we should beat this as we beat the last Galactus and managed Round 8 then Round 6 second boss in both Civil War runs. I looked through our rosters and only 25% have a fully covered Prof X. I think people may be overestimating how many covers will go to waste.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    I use critical boosts all the time. It saves me 150 iso if I get the boost then having to buy it. I would use the tiny kitty out of the boosts for the boss battle.

Whenever I come across impossible battles, I use critical boosts. Try it with a 5* character. It's hit and miss of course, but when you hit the critical with a 5* with it's strongest color, it does crazy damage. The boosts are useful for lucky cascade with 2 or 3 critical being created or when using switch or black window. The best combo for critical boosts is probably 5* phoenix, scarlet witch and black window. The amount of match 5s that can happen and the amount of damage phoenix does with the purple and critical boost is insane.

Other impossible battles with the broken pvp system, I would use critical boosts or deadpool team ups in hopes of winning a 60-75 pt match. If I lose, I lose 3 health packs. So it's a gamble and critical boosts increase my odds.
  • __Adam
    __Adam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    grunth13 wrote:
    --Adam wrote:

But even the < 10% top alliances can probably get at least 1 cover, right? That would imply that a lot more would benefit from px than not. Also, for those alliances getting a newer character is another slot sucked up that won't be useful for quite some time. However, getting an older one might be what pushes them up to a useful number of covers for that character.

I'd argue that in general the game should be designed/balanced around the >50% player base, and realistically, the whales. So the top < 1% and the > 50%.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    action711 wrote:
    So they just release a new 5-star, exciting stuff!

And then they announcle a boss battle event, exciting stuff!

And then they release the rewards for the boss battle event - Prof X and critical boosts..

ARE YOU TINYKITTY KIDDING ME?

It seems like the rewards for this event are the lowest they could possible give.
    What would you expect as "adequate reward"?
    Last Ultron gave us Hulkbuster (i think) and Civil War gave him too... it makes sense that Ultron gives 4* as reward... whats the problem?
    5*s in Civil War were only for TOP players (top aliances respetivelly)... no need to put them in aliance events... power gap is already too big.
  • grunth13
    --Adam wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:
    --Adam wrote:

But even the < 10% top alliances can probably get at least 1 cover, right? That would imply that a lot more would benefit from px than not. Also, for those alliances getting a newer character is another slot sucked up that won't be useful for quite some time. However, getting an older one might be what pushes them up to a useful number of covers for that character.

I'd argue that in general the game should be designed/balanced around the >50% player base, and realistically, the whales. So the top < 1% and the > 50%.

That is why PX should have been the reward for round 4/5/6 so that the people who really need it can get it. You could even make it round 5/6/7. Round 8 should be something the elite alliances need...either a new 4 star or a 5 star (not holding my breath). This would solve the give something to everyone.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    PX is actually rock solid.

Like antman, he's primarily a niche character but....

For events that cater to his skill set, he is probably one of the most devastating PVE characters on offense.

His invisiiblity can single handly beat the hardest wave nodes HoD by him self.

When he's buffed, PX is also a pvp monster.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    veny wrote:
    action711 wrote:

And then they release the rewards for the boss battle event - Prof X and critical boosts..

It seems like the rewards for this event are the lowest they could possible give.
    Last Ultron gave us Hulkbuster (i think) and Civil War gave him too... it makes sense that Ultron gives 4* as reward... whats the problem?
    5*s in Civil War were only for TOP players (top aliances respetivelly)... no need to put them in aliance events... power gap is already too big.

First run of Ultron gave us Vision (iirc). So we did this all out for a 3*!
  • grunth13
    Malcrof wrote:
    veny wrote:
    action711 wrote:

First run of Ultron gave us Vision (iirc). So we did this all out for a 3*!

The game has changed from 3 star world to 5 star world. Maybe the devs need to figure out what they are trying to do other than squeeze every nickle out of the whales (rumor has it that the whales are about to go on strike...what will d3 do then?) In the first 2 years, they barely went to a 3 tier, but in the next year they went to both 4th and 5th tier, and all of this without adding much in the sense of ISO.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Wolarsen wrote:
    Putting Proff.X as final reward is a VERY bad move for Ultron event. Proff. X is a quite good character, but a lot of people use Prof. for Winfinity, therefore not benefiting from additional covers as other usually-championed characters.
    Boss events are extremely relying on cooperation and common push, specially for last prizes(PURPLE!); newer players actually needing Proff covers will have very different motivation as Winfinity players.

This.

Prof X is only useful for winfinity, so once you have even a few covers for him, you no longer need to give him more levels than a little over 100.

The should have done basically any other 4* hero, such as either a brand new hero that most people have under-covered, such as Drax, Pun, WM, WS, Kate, Moon, etc, or else an older hero that many have championed, so the covers will be useful for champion levels.

Really, Prof X is the worst 4* they could have chosen, because he's the least useful to the largest amount of people.
    I've got 2 PX, 1 championed mostly used invis, and a second capped at 120 for winfinite.
    I'll take 3 covers, gladly
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh man, I hope the whales revolt! That would be so great. They are clearly the only players that matter, as they're the ones who speak loudly with their wallets.

I understand that my $15 spent on the game doesn't give me a huge voice, other than the voice of logic and reason.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 wrote:
    rumor has it that the whales are about to go on strike...
    What are their demands? Serious question...
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah. My alliance were stoked about a team based event but the announcement of Prof x rewards soon changed that. Total buzz kill.

Whilst we probably will still play it no one's feeling it no more.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    19 out of 20 people in my Top250 Alliance can use those rewards. Some will have a fully covered, or at least playable, Prof X by the end of this event. One person will use them to Champ Prof X. Awesome!

I'm the only person in my Alliance who can't use those rewards, but I'm going to happily play to help them get access to one of the most fun characters in the game.

'A kick in the teeth?' Please...