Known Issue: Game Crashing

Comments

• lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    I finally was able to beat the under the sea node. Not sure if I was lucky and app decided not to crash for the 8th or 9th time, but I didn't switch to Doom first like I previously was doing. Took out one of the symbiote first. Glad I finally got lucky. Would probably not have received a taco token and 2k iso for completing DDQ if I would've had to ask CS about it. Taco token got me 250 HP.
  • Inarius
    Inarius Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    forget about events, I'll be lucky enough if I manage to complete the DDQ.
  • Windreaver
    Windreaver Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Windreaver wrote:
    still crashing, just lost a fight (for a crash ofc) while hop for 1000 point cover.....ended at 990 .......opened a ticket but i wont get nothing for sure, cover or even 150 HP wasted for a useless shield (not counting ISO used for skip tax)

customer support is a joke, i made a ticket when David [Hi-Fi] Moore told on forum (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47433&start=20#p543226)
    That would help to solve crashing issue they said, so i did.
    After few days i lost a cover from pvp becouse game was still crashing but happened while hop in last minutes of pvp, so i created another ticket, you know, i lost something that i worked for, 150hp, load if iso for skipping, and cover at 1000 progression.

What they said? that can'd do nothing becouse i already make a ticket for the same issue, the one that David [Hi-Fi] Moore asked to do...

if you aren't a whale you 'll not get any customer service....

ps with last update (R105) is still crashing, i'm on iOS
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    I have a facebook not working message come up before the crash? Does that help?

Maybe it has to do with how it links to your facebook account?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    The fix for this... if it shows up in R106, should also address the penalty for said crashes. It should be able to identify a crash from a retreat, right? The retreat should identify as a user initiated event and apply the penalty. A crash has a sudden loss of server connection... it may be harder to identify a crash from a forced reset of the app (which are the same thing no?) but maybe when the game is told internally to shut off due to some critical error, it can leave a marker or identifier that can be checked when reloaded? I don't know enough about what goes on in the background, but whenever the penalty is applied to the characters, that is when the check for crash/retreat should be done.

I just started a match, hadn't even made a move yet and app shut off. Perhaps if the app had checked if a move had even been made, it would have been able to identify that I hadn't retreated. Heck, if I do retreat before any moves are made, I shouldn't suffer a penalty.

At any rate, this is a perfect time to review the penalty system for exiting a battle, intentionally or not. This would be worth your time to fix... making Ultron worse, not so much.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    The fix for this... if it shows up in R106, should also address the penalty for said crashes. It should be able to identify a crash from a retreat, right? The retreat should identify as a user initiated event and apply the penalty. A crash has a sudden loss of server connection... it may be harder to identify a crash from a forced reset of the app (which are the same thing no?) but maybe when the game is told internally to shut off due to some critical error, it can leave a marker or identifier that can be checked when reloaded? I don't know enough about what goes on in the background, but whenever the penalty is applied to the characters, that is when the check for crash/retreat should be done.

The app doesn't crash if you lose connection with the server. I lose connection all the time during battles (Android) when I minimize the game and change locations (potentially losing WiFi and having to reconnect via cellular) and it's fine. It just puts up the reconnecting message for a few seconds after the battle is finished.

There is no way for the game to distinguish between app crash and user manually killing the app from the operating system. So it has to treat both of those as 'retreats' or else users would always kill the app when battles went bad.

KGB
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    I've some crashes when I'm trying to start the game. I'm playing on an IPad Air (first generation) with iOS 9.3.3.
  • kennn712
    kennn712 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    I can't even login. Crashes right after the loading screen (R105)... I have to uninstall the game, re-install, do the tutorial then sync my Facebook. Only then can I play... But when I put the device to sleep/close the app... same problem arises again and I go through the above process again. It's painful as ****.

I'm on a Galaxy S7 running 6.0.1 but I've had the exact problem on 2 other devices.

Advice?
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Well, it just crashed on me twice while doing the 2* required character fight in the last leg of Rocket and Groot PvE. Now I'm short on health packs.
  • metuck12
    metuck12 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    My screen is completely frozen. Has been for almost 24 hours. My phone works fine but I can't play as it froze when transitioning from character selection to the battle screen. Please tell me how to fix it. Thanks
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB wrote:

There is no way for the game to distinguish between app crash and user manually killing the app from the operating system. So it has to treat both of those as 'retreats' or else users would always kill the app when battles went bad.

KGB

I would accept losing pts as a consequence of a crash. But the loss of the health, and whatever boosts where spent are truly rage inducing.

At the min I should be eligible to get a free health pack per crash to account for the lost health and the fact that I had to buy hp to sustain a push. (I can promise that I'll never have to use a taco again in my life LOL)

Specifically, anyone who runs a PHX knows the pain of coming into a match with 3k health and assuming that your an odds on favorite to "rise from the ashes"
  • Milamber42
    Milamber42 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    As per the previous respondee, whilst I'm sure the developers are aware of the crashing issue, the loss of character health and resulting health packs (along with spent bonuses for a battle, though these bother me a little less) is rage inducing.

I dislike the change to PVE now, where it feels like a grab for people to spend more health packs.
    I understand the need to prevent cheating (people force closing the app when about to lose).
    But to lose health and health packs to the app crashing is just garbage.
  • macgawel
    macgawel Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    metuck12 wrote:
    My screen is completely frozen. Has been for almost 24 hours. My phone works fine but I can't play as it froze when transitioning from character selection to the battle screen. Please tell me how to fix it. Thanks
    I've got the same bug :
    Since the new update, my game crashes randomly at the begining. And now (since the end of Ultron), the game freeze my androidPad (last time I was able to initiate the DDQ3 fight with Doom).
    I can't do anything, except wait for the battery to shut down. It's loooooong icon_cry.gif
  • CoffigDarkGravity
    CoffigDarkGravity Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    The game for me is completely UNPLAYABLE at this point. The crashes have cost me lots of different progressive rewards (4* covers and 25CP stashes) that I've needed so far (including the Quake cover in Black Vortex, which I'm getting hosed out of as we speak).

I really wish I wasn't here whining about this, but this is beyond frustrating now. I can't even comprehend the amount of covers, cp, hp, and ISO it would take for me to be happy about the past few weeks. This should be a complete embarrassment to the devs at this point.

And yes, I did report to customer service already, I might as well have written a strongly worded letter to my cat.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    macgawel wrote:
    metuck12 wrote:
    I've got the same bug :
    Since the new update, my game crashes randomly at the begining. And now (since the end of Ultron), the game freeze my androidPad (last time I was able to initiate the DDQ3 fight with Doom).
    I can't do anything, except wait for the battery to shut down. It's loooooong icon_cry.gif

On Android you can force-close the game (I assume you can on Apple too).

1) Go to the settings menu.
    2) Scroll down to Apps
    3) Select MPQ in the Apps
    4) Select 'Force Close'

This will restart the game

If the entire Pad is hung you can just hold down the power off button. No need to wait for the battery to drain.

KGB
  • metuck12
    metuck12 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    KGB wrote:
    macgawel wrote:
    metuck12 wrote:
    I've got the same bug :

On Android you can force-close the game (I assume you can on Apple too).

1) Go to the settings menu.
    2) Scroll down to Apps
    3) Select MPQ in the Apps
    4) Select 'Force Close'

This will restart the game

If the entire Pad is hung you can just hold down the power off button. No need to wait for the battery to drain.

KGB
    Thanks, That should have helped but before I read your post I tried turning my phone off completely and that worked. Probably did the same as force closing the game.

I take it back. While you fix and turning the phone off does work and I was able to complete DPD in the morning, by afternoon it was back to showing the battle screen but no characters show up. What happened with the last update? I don't want to have to lose a battle every time I start to play because the game gets hung and I have to force stop each time to find my characters defeated and healing. So frustrating.
    Cheers.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am getting pummeled in my opening grind for the final TaT sub.

Please open a forensic investigation on my play logs to look at the sheer number of crashes that i am experiencing.

If they can detect who uses "force close" exploits by looking at the number of crashes, then surely they can determine how many crashes I've experienced from the 8pm pst to 11pm pst timeframe.

As a compromise I would accept 1 healthpack for every 3 crashes experienced. Even at that diminished exchange rate, i'll never run out of healthpacks in my game play for the next month or so.

Its one thing to ask us to accept a point and ranking loss for a game crash. Competely unacceptable that I am subsidizing D3 by having to use up my resources to work around their software crashes. I have 0 interest in participating in an ISO sale when that ISO has to go to replace boost resources REPEATEDLY consumed by software issues.

If this issues is sincerely related to out of date hardware. then please published a hardware spec sheet so I can make a decision about whether i want to continue in this game.

Phu Chau
    IGN "Kung Phu panda"

PS. I've have already logged a bug report several weeks ago. I believe this demonstrate and documents that this has been a lingering and reoccurring problem across several release cycles.

If it wasn't clear, I give you authorization to research through my play records

PSS. I am not a 3 stark buy club whale. I am a fixed income student and I want every reader to sincerely understand that every dollar that I've spent on this game was a dollar that I scrimped and saved to enjoy a luxury splurge. I don't really enjoy watching my hard earned resources leak away with every single crash.
  • DonkeyTeeth
    DonkeyTeeth Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    This patch can't come soon enough. I'm not playing PVP at all because it's just too frustrating. In my event I know I've given up at least an entire tier because I can't play the last node without crashing. So far, I've started the last node 5 or 6 times and only finished it twice. It's gonna cost me 25 HP and another Patch cover. So pissed right now.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Don't get too excited. I installed the R106 update yesterday and game is crashing the same amount. Maybe even more often. Random times - during matches, on the rewards screen, during the load screen.

Why is a game that has been around for ~3yrs still experiencing this level of increasing instability?
  • It's not just that, the game is making me start from the tutorial, I won a patch cover yesterday and coins, now it's gone, plus the game is crashing a lot too. icon_e_sad.gif