How is the EoTS test going for you?

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    mpqr7 wrote:
    MeatLoafX wrote:
    I wanted the token but after round 9, it's getting too tough.

Same with me. That token round is obliterating all my characters! Even Quake can't fully hold back the insane aoe damage it scales to. All for just one token?

You should be able to win the good prizes such as tokens and CP within the first few clears, when it's still relatively easy. And then it can give you a variance of 250 ISO / 500 ISO / 100 ISO rewards, which don't matter as much.

I ran through that node with Daken/IF/Falcon and successfully managed to not take a single point of damage even at max scaling. Try it out?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel the same way about this one as every other "test" run - the amount of grinding for placement is still insane, but anything that eliminates that obnoxious timer is an improvement in my book.

Plus, holy ****, so much ISO.
  • pumpkin81
    pumpkin81 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    I'm loving being able to play when I have time with no consequences instead of when my nodes are refreshed.

If they stop breaking ties this system with placement is perfect for me. Everyone who finishes all nodes should get first place prizes its the only way this works.

As for the scaling their message pretty much said they were happy with it so I don't think it matters what format the PVE ends up in (timer no timer) the higher levels for more advanced rosters will be a reality either way.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been able to clear out all the event token/CP rewards, which took something like 40 fights, using only one health pack thanks to Quake (even after 10 runs on the hard survival fight, Flamethrower damage never went above 1 for me). I really really like the expanded rewards and it doesn't seem like difficulty is much higher than usual for the event -- although I don't have notes on how high the first sub spiked before to compare apples to apples.
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    I don't mind this new test except for how placement works. I'm a mostly F2P player and I use more HP on shields than I bring back in. So the only way to recoup my HP is placing in event subs. I am 4th in the first sub and boy was that a lot of work. If they could go progression only, while somehow having equal amount HP available that would be ideal. Maybe do a tiered system where if you do 100% you get X, 80% gets you Y, and 60% gets you Z, etc. They'd also need to find something that would give PvE only alliances incentive to stay together.

Edit: I'd also like to say that although I don't mind it, it's not really that fun. But the rewards for each hit makes up for it.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Love the new PVE system, it solves two of my biggest gripes with the game.

1. the 8 hour resent is only viable for people that are unemployed, people like me that have spent over $5k work long hours, the system is ****.
    2. There is often nothing to play when I do want to play.

I play on Steam so after the kids are in bed I like to sit down and play for 3-4 hours a night. This works perfect for me. Do more of this = more of my money.

Thanks

Home

Agree, I am enjoying it more, it's a bit crazy with 48 hour sub but nothing forcing me to do it in one hit. I'm not bothered about placement just personal progression to 25 cp and it's much better than trying to hit the 8 hours. Three full clears per day for progression works better regardless of how they do it. With this system I'd be happy, get it done when I have free time and forget it for 22 hours.

All in I much prefer this way. Boosted HB and fist with KK is helping though!
  • Lboogie
    Lboogie Posts: 55
    I am gainfully employed and an 8hr timer is rarely an issue...guess I'm the minority. Broken record ....without placement awards this system will be fine...as it is ive pretty much ignored the event thus far. Focusing on pvp and shield sim. Will burgle some prizes from it once sim is done
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    I'm a casual PvEer - in a top 100 PvP alliance, but I don't have time to grind-grind-grind the nodes.

I'm really enjoying the new format.

Partially due to boosted JeanBuster - I feel like my roster progress really is worth it when I can nuke the ever-loving tinykitty out of _everyone_
    Partially due to relaxed feel, I don't feel like I'm "missing out" by not grinding the nodes ASAP, (then again in 8 hours).

Mostly due to the guaranteed scaling. Previously I used to play the "just barely win" game... take the poorest team I can that I thought would pass the node - getting frustrated when I mis-judge and loose, and worried when I win with too much health remaining ( knowing it will screw up the scaling for the entire sub). Now I can nuke away with Phoenix, JeanBuster, whomever... not a care in the world about the remaining health. I can finally USE Daken again! Pure healers aren't a detriment. It's like a weird meta-game weight lifted from my shoulders.

I plan on playing this event as it if was a new character - just to see how well my casual schedule ends me up.

I joined Slice #4 in 300th place...
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Apart from it being a terribly boring grind (and feeling like 15 hits is way too many for full clears), I've actually enjoyed it so far. There were a couple of challenging nodes that were more annoying than hard, and GOBS of iso8.pngiso8.pngiso8.png to be made. This event seems pretty good so far to me. I finished full clear last night at #3, and hit the main node before the other 2 to take #1 in my bracket.

No way I'll keep up that kind of pace over 7 days, but the break from timers is welcome. I already get enough grief from my fiancee for playing on timers, this kind of event will improve my personal life immensely.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suppose my problem is I don't know how to play this.
    It's not overly difficult so far...not really. But I see that mountain of 15 clears and just sag. I really don't want to.
    So do I aim for progression? How many nodes do I have to hit? And how often? Maybe just go for ISO? Again, how many times should I hit each node?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this PvE but I sure as hell don't want to aim for placement any more. The thought of bashing each node 15 times a day makes me want to curl up in a ball and roll away.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Not much new to add, really.

Although, I don't see how they get valuable/actionable info from these tests when they change so many variables each time. How can they judge what's affecting what? For instance, I know that the boosted characters has a huge impact on my play and enjoyment. This set is particularly powerful for me, so it's easier to play difficult nodes and more difficult for me to judge difficulty because of it. Same with rewards. Add in all of the other small changes and I don't see how they come to any logical conclusions about playtime/enjoyment/etc.

Like others, I would love to get a sense of progression toward the final reward since I don't play for placement and this test seems to show that placement is a tinykitty mess of a tinykitty.

I don't want to play any node 15 times, even over the course of 2 days. It's just boring. Having to do that for a 2 day sub to earn one CP isn't fun or challenging; it's just a drag.

No timer is full-on YAY! I want to play when I have time, not on a schedule. Thrilled with that.

As so many others have said: Get rid of placement. Fold those rewards into progression and difficult one-time nodes.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I suppose my problem is I don't know how to play this.
    It's not overly difficult so far...not really. But I see that mountain of 15 clears and just sag. I really don't want to.
    So do I aim for progression? How many nodes do I have to hit? And how often? Maybe just go for ISO? Again, how many times should I hit each node?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this PvE but I sure as hell don't want to aim for placement any more. The thought of bashing each node 15 times a day makes me want to curl up in a ball and roll away.
    I definitely identity with this perspective, but I think it can be mitigated with how the ui displays that info.

Imagine if each node had two sets of awards: 3 "progression" that included the 2 best and the crit boost, which you always got first, and 10 "placement" that only got awarded after the first three, which are all only recruit tokens or iso. For me, with the presentation, I'd never get that sagging feeling.

I'll also note that with the way levels increase over time in this event, it kinda gives you a feeling of building momentum, like each node is really just one big match that gets progressively more intense. Thinking about it that way makes me much less inclined to feel that sense of exhaustion, and it actually makes the whole thing more fun overall.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    For instance, I know that the boosted characters has a huge impact on my play and enjoyment. This set is particularly powerful for me, so it's easier to play difficult nodes and more difficult for me to judge difficulty because of it.

I do have to agree with this. The boosted character list is a straight-up jackpot on this one. Boosted/champed JG can instantly win as soon as she gets 10 purple except on the last couple nodes, and Switch is also boosted. Magneto and Hulkbuster are also savage when boosted.

If the boosted list was something like Starlord, XFW, Mr. Fantastic, Mystique, Loki, and Human Torch, I have to imagine I'd be enjoying it a lot less.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Conflicted, I like not being on a 8 hr timer schedule but I feel like the format still favors those insane grinders like the last test.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    Like I was afraid of, there's already someone in my bracket who appears to have completed everything, with someone else not too far behind. I'm actually not that far behind, myself, with only 5 more clears needed, but they're all in the hardest nodes (e.g. Wolverine and his feeder friends are level ~330 at the moment) and I don't know if my 3 star team can take them. And now, even if I did, I still can't get first. Of course, the other two guys have 4/5 stars and almost fully covered Quakes. Bah.

Update: I gave up when Wolverine started having 18,000 health and hit my team like a truck. I once was somehow lucky enough to make a match that had three caltrops and ate almost 8,000 damage from that alone. Literally just 400 points away from the top two people in my bracket (who have already cleared everything). Only two people in the top ten right now that don't have championed 5 and 4 stars are me and one other random guy; I feel for him, since I don't know how we're supposed to keep up as the event goes on and the nodes get even tougher. Again, why are people with only 3 star teams being put in brackets full of people with championed Old Man Logans, Jean Greys, Hulkbusters, etc.? You don't put the 1 and 2 star teams in the same brackets as someone like me, do you? Yes, I'm aware that scaling is even higher for them, but when they have characters that are much, much stronger and useful against things like Caltrops than anything I have, I very much doubt they have it tougher than me.

I'll be interested to see what place I end up end as time goes on and more people have the opportunity/time to try to clear all of the nodes. Starting to lose hope that I can get any of the X-23 rewards which, as someone who's been trying to transition to 4 stars for over a year, are extremely important to me. How am I supposed to get a better roster if I can't ever win an event because I'm constantly surrounded by whales?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    elusive wrote:

I'll be interested to see what place I end up end as time goes on and more people have the opportunity/time to try to clear all of the nodes. Starting to lose hope that I can get any of the X-23 rewards which, as someone who's been trying to transition to 4 stars for over a year, are extremely important to me. How am I supposed to get a better roster if I can't ever win an event because I'm constantly surrounded by whales?

You are doing something wrong if you haven't got a covered 4 star in a year of trying. You don't need to win events. I'm in the same position 3star player trying to gather 4 stars. Why does it matter that you are not winning or getting all the T10 covers. You can get them plenty of ways and I have only been playing a shade over a year. I also managed to do the hardest node with a 3* roster with KK IM and SR or level 120 vision. Wolv was also 18k (level 338). Your event is scaled accordingly, I have lost events to players without a level 70 13 covered 3*.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good:
    No timers. No critboosts /edit: i stand corrected, there are crit boosts. Their number seems to be reduced though, I don't think they are there in every node.. Scaling is OK for me until now (I didn't grind much yet though).
    Bad:
    Feeder nodes. 'Guaranteed'-reward removal.

(Quotes snipped)
    Gmax101 wrote:
    2) The premium rewards (CP, Event Tokens, Max ISO payouts) are potentially buried under lots of clears
    I don't want to play any node 15 times, even over the course of 2 days. It's just boring. Having to do that for a 2 day sub to earn one CP isn't fun or challenging; it's just a drag.

No timer is full-on YAY! I want to play when I have time, not on a schedule. Thrilled with that.
    Pretty much this.
    In the old style event, if you didn't have a lot of time to play through an event, you could at least get a few of the nicer rewards by a single playthrough of the event to score a token and some of the big ISO prizes. Now, if you're unlucky though... (I had to play the easy wave node 10 times before hitting the 1000 ISO reward icon_e_sad.gif )

Hey! I started a newbie account the other day, and it reminds me: you already have a fix for this in the game! It's called 'First time progression reward'! The first time you clear any node in the prologue you get a one-time ISO bonus prize.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Mattjimf wrote:
    When I joined the event I was 10th, when I got to the sub I was 500 odd. I've never had that happen before.
    New tiebreaker algorithm confirmed! icon_e_smile.gif
    Just so you can see what I mean
    mHwtoXE.jpg
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm loving the crazy amounts of ISO, but it is a 2-day sub, so that means tomorrow I won't get any from the PvE.

I just finished all of the nodes and I'm 6th in my bracket. The JG essential topped out at 303 and the last node ended at level 379. I'm a little leery about how my scaling will increase when it starts counting my maxed OML, but I do have champed HB, JG, and KP. My main team was JG/IMHB/SWitch for the hard nodes and JG/Switch/IF for the easy nodes. Pretty crazy that when OML isn't a factor, you can run 3*s and still do well. I didn't even need to bust out winfinite, although I'm sure I'll need it in later nodes.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    Tony Foot wrote:
    elusive wrote:

You are doing something wrong if you haven't got a covered 4 star in a year of trying. You don't need to win events. I'm in the same position 3star player trying to gather 4 stars. Why does it matter that you are not winning or getting all the T10 covers. You can get them plenty of ways and I have only been playing a shade over a year. I also managed to do the hardest node with a 3* roster with KK IM and SR or level 120 vision. Wolv was also 18k (level 338). Your event is scaled accordingly, I have lost events to players without a level 70 13 covered 3*.

What other ways can I get them? Part of my problem is that I played this a lot more hardcore back when it first came out, when 3 stars were 95% of the endgame and the only 4 stars you even had were X-Force and Invisible Woman; those who have started more recently have had a much easier time climbing up and getting better covers before getting slapped with tougher scaling. I got burnt out around the time that they released 4 star Thor and missed a lot during that time, only to come back with a developed 3 star roster, but missing the heavy hitters like Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Scarlet Witch (all of which released after I stopped dumping tons of time and money into this, which makes all of the time I did put into this back then seem worthless). What other ways can I get good 4 stars other than the 25 CP from PvE progression rewards? PvP scaling is a joke for me (seeing nothing but maxed 3/4 stars and unmaxed 5 stars right from the get-go) and I can't crack the top 10 in PvE, which are the only other ways I know. I'm now 8th in my bracket and will likely drop much further as the people with better rosters slowly reach the end of their grinds.