How is the EoTS test going for you?

Comments

• Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Seeing the scores some people have already put up is crazy. That is a ton of nonstop playing time. Without listing names the top people in my bracket are already closing in on 40,000 in the second slice.

It may very well be possible to get carpal tunnel for some of those crazy brave souls trying to climb this endurance mountain of a test.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    People going nuts trying to clear a 2 day story event in under 24 hours ARE going to create weird day one point spikes.

There should he a clearer picture towards the close of day two where hopefully the people without impulse control issues can play tortoise and hare catch up.

I have a predominantly 3* roster, and the event has been awesome for me.

Something is causing rogue scaling to wreck the top players though...
  • WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    I also have a mostly 3* roster (I just champed my first 4* and have two 4* over 200) with a pretty wide bench. To cleanup a point, I do not play PvE for placement. I am in it for the progression rewards, in particular the 25 cp.

So far this event has been fine. I've gone through the first few nodes 8 (!!) times (all 3* Falcon/Cage/IF and focusing on yellow), but that means I can pump the brakes for those nodes until the next sub event happens. It wasn't hard to get through those nodes and I was able to do it on my schedule, putting in a few rounds here and there for the whole day.

It could totally be the case that the scaling on the hard nodes goes through the roof, or that when I get to longer wav events I just stop doing them. But so far I've been happier with this event than I was with the Rocket and Groot event from two rounds ago. If I can fit in beating each node 4 times per day, scattered throughout the day and still hit the 25cp I will be reasonably happy.

Keep in mind I only care about progression rewards. To those **** are trying to get t100, etc. . . . I am sorry because that sounds horrible.
  • Thevipper
    Thevipper Posts: 90
    i'm not participating forget the if cover i'm gonna play dbz for a while and collect log in on here
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
    Just an observation....

W/ Jean Gray boosted, and Hulkbuster...., and Ironfist..., and both Deadpools....

This is going to be a cakewalk for anyone who have them championed.

That is all...

icon_lol.gif
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Love the new PVE system, it solves two of my biggest gripes with the game.

1. the 8 hour resent is only viable for people that are unemployed, people like me that have spent over $5k work long hours, the system is ****.
    2. There is often nothing to play when I do want to play.

I play on Steam so after the kids are in bed I like to sit down and play for 3-4 hours a night. This works perfect for me. Do more of this = more of my money.

Thanks

Home
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I have pretty mixed feelings so far. I did grind everything all the way down; I did not keep track of how long it took, though I'm sure it was considerably longer than then 150-ish minutes a day that Venom Bomb took (and I won my bracket there).

Was it fun? For a little while. Having to hit that tinykittying top node four times after it reached level 441? Not fun at all. Used more health packs already than I did in all of Venom Bomb. That node, in fact, took more health packs than the entirety of Venom Bomb.

The upside? No PvE tomorrow. At all. And I think I might just do one last hop in PvP. And I liked the amount of ISO that came out.

But this is way too much grinding. Way too much. I really want at least one X-23 cover, but I don't know if I can keep doing this.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    When I see that I'm expected to grind a node up to 15 times in order to guarantee that I'll get all the good rewards, it's definitely quite overwhelming and not super fun.

To be fair, that is for a 48hr sub, so it only far too excessive rather than insanely excessive. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Jwhitmire36
    Jwhitmire36 Posts: 52 Match Maker
    They've may not have gotten rid of placement rewards, but they HAVE taken away my desire to gain them. Grinding so many nodes is not worth it to me, especially for MoStorm. It's all about progression.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, look, the event token for the wave node is no longer a guaranteed drop after the first clear.

Oh, look, fifteen clears possible for that node. So that event token is now on par with CP for scarcity, then?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    No Where to Run started at 227, it ended at 402

Here's where things get complicated, 2 of my T3 characters can't be used together, 390 Phoenix, 374 (event boosted) JG, and my 3rd is locked out, 375 OML
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    I posted it before - this test is a clustertinykitty. I farmed the harder nodes for the CP and will play for more ISO later. I did add up all the nodes and in order to get all the rewards for this first two-day sub, you have to go 112 rounds. Roughly breaking that down to time spent, let's say, for the sake of argument, it takes you 5 minutes to clear a round (obviously, the easier rounds will not take that long). That is 560 minutes of play - 9 hours and 20 minutes. I really like the game, play every day and am always on the lookout for the next flashing gold or purple cover, since I am working my way to 4* land. I currently have 1 maxxed/champed 4*s, 26 maxxed/champed 3*s, and 8 maxxed/champed 2*s. But I don't have 9-1/2 hours to grind down those nodes, even if it is spaced out in two days. So, as soon as I hit the 25 CP, I'm done with this event.
  • padei_panda
    padei_panda Posts: 55 Match Maker
    My fear has been confirmed... and I am not liking it.

I usually play 4 clears per sub and then go back on the 3 hardest nodes and 3 essentials to grind out the CP and high ISO rewards (500 and 250). Then I am done.
    Usually that means between 4-7 clears for the nodes in question (7 if you are really unlucky).
    It also guarantees the CP progression reward.

Now that a node has a dozen or more rewards, the odds of getting the CP and 500 ISO and 250 ISO in the node will be more than 7 clears... which equates to more grinding.
    I'm already spending about 45 mins per clear so 4 of them means at least 3 hours of play. Then add to that another 1 hour to grind out the high level rewards. That's 4 hours of game play each day!!! And now I have to do MORE!!

This is wrong and just not fun... as I feel the rewards is not worth the time and effort.

My strategy change:
    I am going to do a full clear and then play the 2 nodes for the CP until I get them, even if it means 12-15 clears as I consider the CP to be the compulsory item to get. (Bearing in mind my roster can still clear them when the scaling is that high! If I cannot manage, I will seriously punch something in frustration). If it takes 4 hours, so be it; if it takes less than that, then I will consider spending time clearing the other nodes.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    There are two primary frustrations...

1) That you need to do so many clears for placement rewards, and they need to be done quickly to handle tiebreakers. So Placement is off the table for me this time I think.

2) The premium rewards (CP, Event Tokens, Max ISO payouts) are potentially buried under lots of clears

Thing is, point 1 only makes sense if they then get rid of placement rewards in the future. At that point being able to grind lots of times, getting rewards each time, is arguably great news if there is a decent progression reward to aim for.

The second point however is just frustrating. Either give them out on the first clear through... although the nodes are too easy for that arguably. Or ensure they are paid out within the number of clears for traditional progression. (4 seems fair) They are key development resources for most players... and burying them is just annoying for no good reason.

Aside from those two frustrations I like pretty much everything else....

Scaling is good for me (3*/4* sweet spot roster though) so recognise the pain for higher level rosters.

LOADS OF ISO can be earnt, which has to be a good thing

Able to use chunks of my roster on the first few clears... also a lot of fun.

Lots of opportunity to play at my own pace for decent rewards is actually interesting... and finding a team that can hit a node reliably for minimal damage is very satisfying icon_e_smile.gif
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    At least it's not the old random rewards anymore.... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    Scaling hasn't gotten terrible for me until the tenth clear (I'm now seeing Hard difficulty nodes), so I can't complain too much about that part, but I'm also in a bracket full of people with Championed 4 and even 5 stars, whereas all I have is a solid 3 star team. I'd love to get my hands on some X-23 covers, but I get the feeling that I'm not going to thanks to those rosters having a much better advantage against the tougher enemies (i.e. a solid Quake can mitigate a lot of the damage the goons cause, not to mention Hulkbuster and the like being buffed). Why can't I be in a bracket that has players around my level, especially when this event's going to be about who can clear their nodes the fastest?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the scaling of the hard nodes was (for me), just a 12-13 level increase per clear. At very high enemy levels, the linear scaling of the enemy levels gets absurd when you get into the exponential scaling of enemy health and power.

I ground a wave node to 15/15 rewards. After my 9th clear, the second wave of enemies were level 447, with 40689 health. After my 12th clear, the second wave of enemies were level 484, with 54116 health. That's about a 31% increase in health and damage for only 37 extra levels.

Even with a championed Quake at 5 Yellow, a Rocket would do about 17000 damage to my team. Compare that to people at lower levels who have AoE damage almost completely negated by Quake's yellow.

The absurd design of 5*s, and the associated scaling curves have finally stretched the one-size-fits all event design past the breaking point. This linear scaling simply doesn't work at high levels.

If they're trying to drive people with good rosters away from the game, this test is going to work like gangbusters.

This is nuts. I think it is obvious for everybody that scaling in the higher end it is completely broken. Specially for Goons, after 400 the become absolute killing machines.

At least 4 and 5s have been revised so they scaling is 'correct' on the higher levels, but goons were never designed to have such high levels. 5k muscle strike tiles? Yeah bring some icon_razz.gif

PS: And we still dont have enough tools to work with goons in the 5 meta. We need somebody who can combat goons effectively in the 5 land ASAP
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    MeatLoafX wrote:
    I wanted the token but after round 9, it's getting too tough.

Same with me. That token round is obliterating all my characters! Even Quake can't fully hold back the insane aoe damage it scales to. All for just one token?

You should be able to win the good prizes such as tokens and CP within the first few clears, when it's still relatively easy. And then it can give you a variance of 250 ISO / 500 ISO / 100 ISO rewards, which don't matter as much.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Reposting from the main EOTS thread in the Events forums:

"I was able to clear every node but the last one last night and this morning I cleared the final 4 passes for it to reach max points with 24 hours to go in the sub (Time to work on Simulator PVP!). I'm at #11 currently in my bracket. If all the subs run 2 days (which they won't, I know), I kinda of like this so far. I won't be able to keep this up as I'm traveling this weekend, but that's the most ISO I've ever accumulated in one 24 hour period (+ DDQ and PVP rewards). I'm liking that.

We'll see how it goes, but for ISO farming, its pretty nice, and that's what I need. I don't care about placement right now, and it will be nice to not have to grind at the end of sub tomorrow, only to turn around start a clear again. Granted, with a champ JG, the grind isn't so bad for me, but this is the most I've ever used Quake (only lvl 90 but with 5 yellow thanks to RNGsus)

Scaling got as high as lvl 375 for the last node and lvl 358 for the last survival node. THAT's going to be where the tough stuff starts though, when you start getting survival nodes at that level with Gorgon, not just goons."

I'm actually finding boosted Kingpin more useful than Hulkbuster and, in some cases, even Jean Grey. 9K damage for only 6 Black AP? (team him with SWitch for a constant countdown tile to exploit).
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    I really like it so far as well. Ive done it in w parts both around 1.5h finishing at around 15th hour in starting slice 1 at 5th place. Basicly Ive played when I wanted, scored tones of iso, good place and still there's over a full free day for me. Final lvls in last node was 382 and waves prev to that capped tlat 364. In total Ive used 7 hps on last node (even wiped once as Ive started with highly dmged hb and board was really terrible) non on any other fights. Aside of fistbuster with hood for last node I was runing sw+jg and flaptain (except 2 of essencial nodes) and daken if cage for first 3 nodes.