Predator and Prey - Mar 12 to Mar 14

Comments

• vudu3 wrote:
    I'm currently hovering right around rank 50 which is the difference between a blue Storm Classic cover and a black Hood cover. My Storm Classic is level 69 and 4G / 2B / 5Y so the blue cover would be welcome. My Hood is level 18 and 0Y / 1B / 1B.

I'm leaning towards the Classic Storm cover because it will do me the most good right now. However, I'm wondering if this is short-sighted--I'm sure that eventually I've have more than enough Storm Classic covers whereas Hood covers will likely be tougher to collect. Then again, a 0/1/2/ Hood won't do me any good anytime soon. Anyone have any advice?

Second question--same as the first but in general terms. Regardless of how you feel about Storm Classic or Hood, what would you recommend to do in situations like this--go for the 2* cover that will be of use immediately or grab the 3* cover that is all but useless in the short-term but will eventually be welcome? I have a pretty solid 2* team but most of my 3* characters are sitting at 2 or 3 covers each.

Back when I was in that situation I'd often go for the 2*, since that would help more immediately (and Storm's Blue is very powerful; I used it a ton during Brotherhood). Storm will help you more in the short term, and that might get you stuff that helps you long term.

At the same time, you may be kicking yourself down the line when you sell your hundredth blue storm and your Hood is stuck at 18th level.
  • I'm getting utterly sick of watching the computer drop into free move after free move
  • I think this is both my first time getting into an easy bracket and my first time really *trying* at a PVP event and hot damn, I am sitting pretty in 2nd place! I have never gotten above 50th or so before, and after the recent Iso boost from the hulk event I have a team finally able to compete for some top covers!

Super excited about getting 3 hood covers (my 2nd-4th covers for him). I have several hundred on even 3rd place at this point, and I will get another 3 or so hours before the event ends after work today to bump myself up even more. Tanking the recent lightning rounds really helped - Ive actually been placed with people similar to my own team and havent seen any 141s (I have been running my top team of 72 Thor and 69 Daken with freebie BP).

I may even be able to take on first place too, depending - I was within 50 or so of him when I left for work. We will see, but I am definitely stoked to be doing so well on my first time REALLY trying PVP!
  • glad you are doing well kermitk50
    don't go too overzealous, if you do have a considerable lead it may be best to buy the 3 hour shield and ride out the last few hours, its very possible to get torn down fast and hard towards then end.
  • Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. I will assess the situation when I get home from work. I dont feel like I need to place first really - it wouldn't help me at all, it is just sort of exciting to see my name there icon_razz.gif. Knowing that, I will just need to maintain a top 5 standing to get my optimal rewards. In order for me to drop down to 6th as of when I went to work it would take about a 350 point spread change. Not at all in the realm of impossiblities, but it does give me a sense of security. If I get home and see, 3 hours from the end of the event, that disparity has changed, at what point would you say I am "safe" and not require a shield and what point would you say "put up that shield!" I play on Steam so I really have no access when at work - still hoping for a way to link an account over multiple devices someday!

Oh yeah, I am also a non-IAP player, so the 75 HP is still a pretty big deal to me. I have been spending all my HP on roster spots up to this point and would like to continue doing that, I have 22 spots right now, around day 76.
  • radav
    radav Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    abuelo wrote:
    I'm getting utterly sick of watching the computer drop into free move after free move

I had the AI receive such a long and ridiculous cascade this morning that by the end they were able to use both Wind Storm and Call of The Storm on me after the 3rd turn of the match. I was just stunned. The cascade had to have gone on for like 30 sec. it lasted so long. Sometimes the game is just going to force you to lose no matter how good your team is compared to your competition.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another tricky decision like the poster above. Do I go for Hood, which of course would be nice (but hardly useable for a long time) or Storm, who I can actually use (and only need a couple of covers to finish). Hmm.

I had this situation last time I think with IM40 and ended up going with Storm in the end. Which might be the same needed here...
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    yogi_ wrote:
    Another tricky decision like the poster above. Do I go for Hood, which of course would be nice (but hardly useable for a long time) or Storm, who I can actually use (and only need a couple of covers to finish). Hmm.

I had this situation last time I think with IM40 and ended up going with Storm in the end. Which might be the same needed here...
    You'll get more mileage immediately with Storm - Hood is one of those guys who's true power doesn't shine until you get a lot of covers.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jathro wrote:
    You'll get more mileage immediately with Storm - Hood is one of those guys who's true power doesn't shine until you get a lot of covers.

Sensible words and probably what I'll do.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Could use a blue hood, don't need the black hood though. Just doesn't seem to be worth the grind to go after top 10 in this one.
  • Just about to finish a long fight against a guy who attacked me, then boom the game crashes. I lose the match and a lot of points and fell from first to third and now i can't find the person again. Damn this game sometimes, Baahhhhhhhh!!
  • ztormur77 wrote:
    Just about to finish a long fight against a guy who attacked me, then boom the game crashes. I lose the match and a lot of points and fell from first to third and now i can't find the person again. Damn this game sometimes, Baahhhhhhhh!!

Ouch! I hate when things like that happen! Good thing that it's usually a pretty rare occurrence.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    I just got attacked twice by Rarre28, while shielded, and never having hit him. Anyone mind spilling how that's possible?

EDIT: I was shielded, not him.
  • Are you sure he's not shield turtling (quickly attacking and reshielding)?
  • Let me clarify - he hit me while I was shielded. Sorry, realizing in hindsight that wasn't clear. Shielded players can't be queued, and if I was already in his queue, that's one hit - if I was he was attacking me while I attacked him, I beat him, then I shield, I could understand him being able to get 2 hits in (one for finishing his match, one for the retaliation), but this doesn't make sense.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I just got attacked twice by Rarre28, while shielded, and never having hit him. Anyone mind spilling how that's possible?

I suspect that your opponents is queued up ahead of time and you just appeared twice in that guy's queue long before you shielded. I know I get attacked by guys who I never attacked while shielded and they have like 50 points, so it's not like this is someone who is anywhere near my range of rating so I can only assume I was on their queue from a long time ago.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    Let me clarify - he hit me while I was shielded. Sorry, realizing in hindsight that wasn't clear. Shielded players can't be queued, and if I was already in his queue, that's one hit - if I was he was attacking me while I attacked him, I beat him, then I shield, I could understand him being able to get 2 hits in (one for finishing his match, one for the retaliation), but this doesn't make sense.

Shielded players can be Q'd, it's just a bit more rare than non shielded players being Q'd. My guess is you have a pretty decent tank and he's scoringbprettyvdecebtvpoints off you. If you are a 30 point match he very well could have dropped 200-300 ISO skipping to find you again.
  • /raises an eyebrow at Phantron in 2nd place in his bracket....

/waves

----

/notes new forum title next to his name...

Ohh... I'm special! Thanks for asking! icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Lyrian wrote:
    /raises an eyebrow at Phantron in 2nd place in his bracket....

/waves

----

/notes new forum title next to his name...

Ohh... I'm special! Thanks for asking! icon_lol.gif

Decided not to fight for #1 given I still need to make sure I don't fall out of top 200 in The Hulk and my team without Spiderman was taking a serious toll on my health packs, but if I have Spiderman I'd be killing slower and probably just stuck in "I just won a game and lost 100 points' hell.

I think this is going to be like my 5th #2 finish in the last month if my ranking holds. I have a real talent for doing just not quite enough for the #1.
  • Chimaera wrote:
    Black scales per cover and level while the yellow is just tile damage I believe. I can't see anything other than a 553.
    Yellow sounds like a great skill on paper. In practice, I don't find it that great overall. First issue is that yellow is Hood's strongest colour and he doesn't have high health to want to constantly make yellow matches. Second issue is that I rarely get to use it. I end up using Intimidation at least 3 or 4 times as much. Black is his weakest colour, so it's easy to find partners to tank it for him. So while I think 5/5/3 is the ideal build, 3/5/5 can seem more practical. I think it depends mostly on which characters you team him with.

Hoods yellow at max level gains you 18 ap + deals damage + causes cascades / doesn't end the turn anymore.

It can be aimed to take out enemy tiles, gain ap of powers you are close to reaching, shake up a dead board. It's only downside is it's a bit expensive. Black has lackluster damage and situational timer modifying abilities.