MPQ Sneak Peek: June 2016 Edition *Updated 06/28/16

Options

Comments

• The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    going to be interesting to see a sunday to thur new 4 comapir to a thur to sunday.

at least now i can get the 4th off and not really fight for the new 4 star. since if i skip deadpool no use for the 4 star though i want it lol

I've resigned myself to just not bothering with new releases icon_neutral.gif

Just going to sit back and let them happen eventually.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    lol new character isn't even in any comic books, just one made out of thin air.
    Who cares, it's a solid character regardless of the name placed on it

I care and I would argue any "true believer" should care, too. Not that I am opposed to this character's release or the devs willingness to explore new creative avenues but this is a Marvel game so it behoves the development team to make an effort to be faithful to the source material.

Obviously when a character is an in-house created phantasm with no source material, it gives the development team free reign to do what they like. I am both disturbed and intrigued by the precedent this sets. Disturbed because instead of focusing their creative energies on other areas of the game that are in dire need of it like new game modes, better puzzles, new reward systems, new prologue chapters, an actual unified narrative, etc. they continue to put all of their creative talents toward character creation, and unfortunately due to the structure of the game and lack of character balancing we end up with strange situations both in terms of comic lore (OML anyone?) and game design (the Vision bug being better than the actual intended design).

I am intrigued because this opens up the possibility of doing greater things like multiverse stories (Age of Apocalypse, Spider-Verse, a MPQ universe a la Contest of Champions) although I know better than to hold my breath.

But getting back to my point, a large part of this game's appeal is that it has the Marvel brand and it is the responsibility of the development team to capture the essence of a character. Unfortunately they often fall a bit short, sacrificing character "flavor" in order to shoe-horn new abilities and continue to push the in-game character power structure to keep players interested in the "new best" thing.

I understand why they need to do it, but I definitely think they could have gone about it in a better way. And frankly, the "who cares as long as it's good" attitude you profess is part of the problem, in my humble opinion. Not that I am any better, as I chase after every new character release and end up using characters I don't really know or care for more than the one's I love because the game tells me they are "better". icon_cry.gif
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm disturbed by the addition of Peggy Carter (Captain America) not just because she's not a Marvel character, but because she's the worst sort of female hero, one who is awesome because she takes up the mantle of a man. NOOOOO! Peggy Carter is awesome just as herself, Peggy Carter. She doesn't need to be Captain America to be awesome. And this game sure as shootin' doesn't need yet another variant.

Why on earth wasn't she just included as she is: a woman who kicks **** as a woman without all of the male character trappings?

Blech.
  • The Herald
    Options
    I'm disturbed by the addition of Peggy Carter (Captain America) not just because she's not a Marvel character, but because she's the worst sort of female hero, one who is awesome because she takes up the mantle of a man. NOOOOO! Peggy Carter is awesome just as herself, Peggy Carter. She doesn't need to be Captain America to be awesome. And this game sure as shootin' doesn't need yet another variant.

Why on earth wasn't she just included as she is: a woman who kicks **** as a woman without all of the male character trappings?

Blech.

I'm okay with it, if they come up with an awesome story to go with it.

Which brings up another point...

If the Devs would commit to giving each launching character their own story, we could expand the story stable here and be less bored! (I appreciate this just may be due to testing, but the boredom is real...)
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm honestly disappointed with the new character. From all the information that is available, it looks like the devs just basically created an "original character" (I use the word original in the loosest sense of the word). I mean, of all the actual characters with publication histories that have been created during Marvel's decades of existence, some of which fans have been asking for for years, they are making OCs just for this game? And it's Peggy Carter in Cap's outfit? This is like the Marvel equivalent of a Sonic recolour.

I mean, if the devs want to put in Peggy Carter, they can just put in Agent Carter. If they want a female Cap, there are already alternate-universe female Cap created, such as the one recently introduced in Spider-Gwen's universe. I'm honestly at a loss.

I'd love to be proven wrong and that this Cap Peggy is actually an upcoming comic book that's being exclusively previewed in MPQ or something, but the fact that even her "cover" art has been drawn by an in-house Demiurge artist doesn't bode well for this theory.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It would be pretty cool if Peggy comes with a new story on July 4th...
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If they really wanted a Captain who was also a Carter, why not Captain John Carter of Mars?
    17697-2907-19782-1-john-carter-warlord-.jpg

At least he was an American, though "born" long before Steve Rogers.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why on Earth would the British citizen Peggy Carter take up the mantle of Captain America?

I mean, come on now. The character art is clearly heavily influenced by the MCU's Peggy Carter. That's the version of the character that most players are going to be most familiar with. She's British. Through-and-through. Take that Peggy Carter, absent the influence of a Steve Rogers, and ask her to put on that uniform, and she'd most likely be insulted.
  • The Herald
    Options
    The unannounced double iso8!

Is this the new normal? Please say it's the new normal! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd say the unannounced part is...but who am I kidding that's the old normal! icon_lol.gif
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Peggy Carter has played a part in a few Captain America comics and even was director of Shield in one of the alternate universes.
    I wonder will she be in the tokens at season's start?
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    Peggy Carter has played a part in a few Captain America comics and even was director of Shield in one of the alternate universes.
    I wonder will she be in the tokens at season's start?
    I'm guessing not, they are already adding Kate Bishop and Moon Knight.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    *(06/27/16) Hi-Fi - Updated Weekly Buffs.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Blech.

This is the worst way of looking at it. In fact, the way of intently looking for an angle from which you can see it as offensive and deciding that's the one true interpretation. No one is saying that Peggy only becomes great when she steps into a man's role or that the man's role is what's valuable. They are saying that she's so great that she can easily slip into the role of an objectively more physically powerful character. Or, that the mantle (or trappings, if you need to be pejorative) of Captain America is not about your gender (or race, see Falcap) but rather about your beliefs and the will to translate them into actions. There are several ways to look at it and the one you picked is one of the more farfetched.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]*(06/27/16) Hi-Fi - Updated Weekly Buffs.

(06/30/2016 - 07/06/16)
    4* - Elektra, Hulk (Totally Awesome), Miles Morales, War Machine
    3* - Daredevil, Doctor Doom, Human Torch, Loki, Squirrel Girl

Well, that's -one- way to lower PVP scores first week of season. I could pick a worse line-up of buffs, but it would take a bit of doing.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    "David wrote:

(06/30/2016 - 07/06/16)

Well, that's -one- way to lower PVP scores first week of season. I could pick a worse line-up of buffs, but it would take a bit of doing.
    3* lineup not top tier, but not terrible. Nobody but nobody is going to level those 4* to compete. Maybe theyre trying the bridge the 3* to 4* gap for a week? Xmen week was great, with 2 top tier and 2 just below top tier boosted...bit its still affecting 4* buff rotation. That was 5 weeks ago. I got skipping JG for her turn the following week, was it really necessary to skip cyke? Or maybe it's trying to get players to use those characters. Fix them and ill think about it. Thankd, no thanks!
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    "David wrote:

(06/30/2016 - 07/06/16)

I don't see what the problem is, Squirrel Girl is after all, unbeatable. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Quebbster
    Options
    I usually try to use at least one boosted fourstar each week, but I don't see much Point this time. Only Elektra is maxed...
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    *(06/28/16) Hi-Fi - Updated Deadpool's Dailies.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see some complaints about the new character but Demiurge have been requested by Marvel to build a new character from the ground up and to me they have done a sterling job. Good job Demiurge, good job.