slidecage Posts: 3,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    A discussion I had with team-mates and I've seen on the boards:

"Should I jump into Iso-8 late, for the 4* cover?"
    "Well, it's a double ISO event. And you'd miss out on CP."
    "Maybe I should run the whole event for placement?"
    "Well, it's a week-long event of 8-hour refreshes"

That's about as long as the discussion needs to be for many players. But let's look into what is unsaid there.

-Rewards are not worth the effort being put into them
    -There are 33 4*'s, it's not exciting to have a new one.
    -With few chances to get specific 4*'s, it is still tempting to try for it.
    -And with those 33 4*'s, you'll primarily have to depend on RNG to get that characters' covers
    -And with those 33 (and growing) 4*'s, RNG is less and less likely to get you that cover

-ISO is so -incredibly- scarce, it isn't worth using it on resources other than leveling your characters.
    -ISO use has been -vastly- out-paced by character releases (since it is all 4*+ releases, and they cost so much to level)
    -CP is also given out rather stingily, and the PVE CP nodes are one of the few chances to get it on a daily basis.
    -But CP is an absolute necessity, since 5*'s are quickly making the 4*'s irrelevant in PVP.
    -And you pretty much have to PVP to guarantee specific 4*'s covers.
    -But of course, you must depend on RNG to get you those 5*'s. That CP will often end up being worth 1000 ISO...

-Can I top out over the whales to be in the T2 (or even T10)?
    -Because it certainly won't be worth the HP trying to get the character at 0.1% chances.
    -Wow I wish these event rewards were all on progressions already.
    -And do I have the "right" characters for this event? Or are they covered and under-leveled like most of my roster?
    -What will my scaling be for this event, off the charts again?

-You'll have to play every node at least three (specific) times a day x7 days x~9 nodes: 189 nodes to play.
    -But those 189 are just the start, how good you do will depend on the ~45 total more nodes you grinded at the end.
    -And then you'll have to get lucky for placement, have to depend on luck of the draw for your bracket since it is a new release.
    -Oh, but enjoy your +Critical boosts x500 this week!

I mean....there are other problems with the games, but this PVE really, REALLY highlights the many of the biggest ones right now.

ISO divvied out vs. the "value" of the rewards vs. the time/effort put in to get those rewards - how much longer will the playerbase determine the rewards are worth the effort? How much longer will D3 keep the players stuck in ISO-limbo, making these rewards even less enticing?

I have no idea why people keep going WE WANT PROGRESSION PVE.... Do you know how much you have to grind to get the 4 star covers in a normal PVE.. People think O if we go progression i will be able to get the cover in 3 of each node... If they did do progression they would demand at least 5 or 6 Clears in each node for 1 cover and probally up to 8 to 9 clears in each nod for all 3 covers... So even if they went pure progression your going to be forced to grind... I love the people who think if they went progression that doing 2 or 3 clears is going to get you 3 4 star covers LOL

8 clears all 4 star covers
    7 clears 2 4 stars
    6 clears 4 star
    5 clears 3 3 stars
    4 clears 2 3 stars
    3 clears 25 cp
    2 clears 1 3 star

aboout how a progression pve would run
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

That's about as long as the discussion needs to be for many players. But let's look into what is unsaid there.

-And with those 33 4*'s, you'll primarily have to depend on RNG to get that characters' covers
    -And with those 33 (and growing) 4*'s, RNG is less and less likely to get you that cover

-ISO is so -incredibly- scarce, it isn't worth using it on resources other than leveling your characters.
    -ISO use has been -vastly- out-paced by character releases (since it is all 4*+ releases, and they cost so much to level)
    -CP is also given out rather stingily, and the PVE CP nodes are one of the few chances to get it on a daily basis.
    -But CP is an absolute necessity, since 5*'s are quickly making the 4*'s irrelevant in PVP.
    -But of course, you must depend on RNG to get you those 5*'s. That CP will often end up being worth 1000 ISO...

-Because it certainly won't be worth the HP trying to get the character at 0.1% chances.
    -And do I have the "right" characters for this event? Or are they covered and under-leveled like most of my roster?

-You'll have to play every node at least three (specific) times a day x7 days x~9 nodes: 189 nodes to play.
    -But those 189 are just the start, how good you do will depend on the ~45 total more nodes you grinded at the end.
    -And then you'll have to get lucky for placement, have to depend on luck of the draw for your bracket since it is a new release.

I mean....there are other problems with the games, but this PVE really, REALLY highlights the many of the biggest ones right now.

ISO divvied out vs. the "value" of the rewards vs. the time/effort put in to get those rewards - how much longer will the playerbase determine the rewards are worth the effort? How much longer will D3 keep the players stuck in ISO-limbo, making these rewards even less enticing?

I have no idea why people keep going WE WANT PROGRESSION PVE.... Do you know how much you have to grind to get the 4 star covers in a normal PVE.. People think O if we go progression i will be able to get the cover in 3 of each node... If they did do progression they would demand at least 5 or 6 Clears in each node for 1 cover and probally up to 8 to 9 clears in each nod for all 3 covers... So even if they went pure progression your going to be forced to grind... I love the people who think if they went progression that doing 2 or 3 clears is going to get you 3 4 star covers LOL

7 clears 2 4 stars
    6 clears 4 star
    5 clears 3 3 stars
    4 clears 2 3 stars
    3 clears 25 cp
    2 clears 1 3 star

And?
    People going for t10 for 3 covers are already doing 9+ clears.
    8 clears for guaranteed 3 covers?
    yes, please.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

7 clears 2 4 stars
    6 clears 4 star
    5 clears 3 3 stars
    4 clears 2 3 stars
    3 clears 25 cp
    2 clears 1 3 star

And?
    yes, please.

i take top 10 with 6 clears... just saying people thinking progressino is going to be eaiser a nd think they will get the covers by doing just a few clears are going to be mistaking big time
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

i take top 10 with 6 clears... just saying people thinking progressino is going to be eaiser a nd think they will get the covers by doing just a few clears are going to be mistaking big time

At least the clears probably wouldn't be held to such strict schedules for timing on each clear.
  • UncleSmed
    UncleSmed Posts: 75
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

At least the clears probably wouldn't be held to such strict schedules for timing on each clear.

The biggest difference between current vs pure progression is simple slidecage..

Pure progression is a fixed and known value.
    Unless it's a new event, players get a heads up of progression values for rewards and extrapolate requirements based on previous runs of the event.

Current placement model means the goalposts keep moving forward based o n other player's performance.
    Want top spot? Outplay everyone
    Want top 100? Outplay 900 other people
    And that all comes down to who wants it more and can pay for it thanks to scaling.

As a player.. i prefer to not have my performance constantly measured against others in every arena. I do my part in pvp, i don't feel my story mode experience should match up with pvp.

For a strategy game, that makes little to no sense.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Options
    revskip wrote:
    Chief270 wrote:
    The main problems are STILL:

Someone who has consistently played a PVE since day one of an event getting less than someone that played less than a day. People, including myself, play this system merely cause it exists. PVE needs to stop doing this. The fact that there are threads dedicated to WAITING TO PLAY until a fresh cycle makes this obvious. Are developers really saying that whoever is 1000th in a grouping can grind and grind and grind with little hope of a reward, while that 1001st gets a fresh bracket, and could possibly put minimal effort into it to secure the wanted cover(s). Go to progression primarily/only for the main rewards, and you will actually see people start playing your PVEs much earlier than they are today.

The ISO dealt out are the same today in the 4 to 5 star era of the game as they were in the 2/3 and the 3/4 star eras. I started when the only 4*s were baglady and x-force wolvie. Why are the iso rewards the essentially the same today as they were back then?

Except that isn't at all true. The person who joins late with perfect info (which requires some out of game coordination to even be possible) gets at best three 4* covers. The person who joins at the beginning of the event and grinds it might not get any of the 4* covers but will still come away with a bunch of ISO-8, some HP, some 2* and 3* covers, several event tokens and 25 CP. So at worst they will end up with two fewer 4* covers and a bunch of other loot. At best they end up with a 5* cover from the 25 CP, a 4* cover from the event tokens and all the other loot.

Should ISO rewards be improved, absolutely. But the trade off between jumping into a bracket late with perfect info and grinding an event is significant.
    The main items people want from a PVE are the placement rewards. That's why people (IE - you and me) are willing to forgo the progression rewards for a shot at getting everything from the placement without having to work nearly as hard as the thousands of other players that have been going since the word go.

If I did the same amount of play(say 2 full clears) on the final day of a PVE vs. 2 full clears on the first day, why should I get more in rewards? Just cause I waited around and didn't play at all for the first 3/5/7 days? Is that really healthy for a game to so grossly benefit those that wait to play?

What if they flipped it, where all the covers were progression based rewards and the iso/hp/cp gains (that you feel is the balancing factor in this) was given out for placement instead? Would you still bracket snipe?

Progression would be a much simpler way to handle transitions as well. As your team strengthens, you can progress further than you could before, reaching better rewards that would assist in your transition to the next stage.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chief270 wrote:
    What if they flipped it, where all the covers were progression based rewards and the iso/hp/cp gains (that you feel is the balancing factor in this) was given out for placement instead? Would you still bracket snipe?
    the main reason I don't bracket snipe now is the cp/iso. if they flipped it, I'd happily trade some psylocke or quicksilver covers for several days of playing to still get my iso/cp. happily and readily.
  • Chief270
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    Chief270 wrote:
    the main reason I don't bracket snipe now is the cp/iso. if they flipped it, I'd happily trade some psylocke or quicksilver covers for several days of playing to still get my iso/cp. happily and readily.
    While I know you are just trying to make a point, those wouldn't be the top tier placement prizes in any PVE. And are most likely widely considered lower middle tier.

You could easily say you'd rather have the ISO/CP/ISO over cho tho, but that is also just a spin where you use a rare case of a terrible cover to try to make that point. I doubt the same could be said of a majority of the 4* covers.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    gonna just skip the quoting to avoid the mess. I don't/won't put the time into making t10 an option. its happened before but only a few oddball times. so 4* placement covers aren't even a consideration for me. so 3 covers of ANY 3*, is the majority of what I end up with. the hp from sub placements is the only thing I'd truly regret missing out on. if I missed out on fist or cyke or cage or im40 covers, don't really care at this point. you're right, I picked psylocke and QS to make a point, because other than about 10 of the 3*s, they might as well all be psylocke and QS. torch and mystique may have been more appropriate (ranked 20 and 21 most recently). none of the 3s matter other than the champ rewards, and those aren't going anywhere. they'll still be there when those covers come in.
  • Chief270
    Options
    I guess I don't get what you are arguing then. If you aren't trying for the top tier rewards, then the current progression is obviously better. It would be like if I stripped the top three rewards from progression(currently 25 CP and 4000 iso and an event token) and comparing it to everything I get from the top of the placement rewards. Its obviously going to be more weighted to the side that still has the top prizes still a part of it.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    just giving the other side of the coin to:
    The main items people want from a PVE are the placement rewards. That's why people (IE - you and me) are willing to forgo the progression rewards for a shot at getting everything from the placement without having to work nearly as hard as the thousands of other players that have been going since the word go.
    event placement rewards are not the main items everyone wants from pve, except for release events (of course everyone wants to maximize the new guy's covers). this current release event is particularly grueling because of the premium nature of double iso in every node. personally, I snipe brackets, but I do it on day 1 to make the whole thing generally an easier go of it. I start day 1 because of progression and node rewards (cp/iso), and sub rewards (hp).

personally, I'd love, LOVE, to skip days of playing pve to snipe some cp/iso late at the end and just forgo any/all covers on normal pve events. I wish that were an option.

I think people are willing to forgo progression rewards because of the PITA competitive pve is, not because progression rewards don't have value to them. for them, the ROI on their time investment isn't there. for me, it is, because the only thing that improves my roster with any significance is iso and cp, not really covers.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    All great points fantastically put forth.

It's disheartening that something so obvious to us seems to always fall upon death ears.

I don't think players are right about these things as often as we think we are. However, in cases like the one you have eloquently brought forth here, I do also believe that players are not as wrong as the developers seem to think we are.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

7 clears 2 4 stars
    6 clears 4 star
    5 clears 3 3 stars
    4 clears 2 3 stars
    3 clears 25 cp
    2 clears 1 3 star

And?
    yes, please.

The previous message has been Grumpy Cat approved.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    death ears.

*Deaf
  • TxMoose
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I think people are willing to forgo progression rewards because of the PITA competitive pve is, not because progression rewards don't have value to them. for them, the ROI on their time investment isn't there. for me, it is, because the only thing that improves my roster with any significance is iso and cp, not really covers.
    this hamster is growing weary of pve. I think I disagree with my own post here. i'll be taking a break from optimal pve for a while and farm some casually. daughter has an activity last night and I don't get my grind completed. t20 is done. i'll be coasting in for t100 here.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    this hamster is growing weary of pve. I think I disagree with my own post here. i'll be taking a break from optimal pve for a while and farm some casually. daughter has an activity last night and I don't get my grind completed. t20 is done. i'll be coasting in for t100 here.

I forget, how long have you been in the game Tx?

I went heavy PVE for 12-18 months...that seems about the burnout time for vets realizing they might as well stop grinding PVE's. For awhile there was reason to grind for the new characters - but reading Colog's thread on the "Irrelevant seven" (now nine) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44686 - makes you realize folks are right - 4*'s are now all dependent on RNG for covers, and ISO isn't there even if you have them. No reason to try for the new ones anymore, considering even if/when you get the covers and even if/when you get the ISO you -still- won't be using them in this 5* world!
  • TxMoose
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I forget, how long have you been in the game Tx?

I went heavy PVE for 12-18 months...that seems about the burnout time for vets realizing they might as well stop grinding PVE's. For awhile there was reason to grind for the new characters - but reading Colog's thread on the "Irrelevant seven" (now nine) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44686 - makes you realize folks are right - 4*'s are now all dependent on RNG for covers, and ISO isn't there even if you have them. No reason to try for the new ones anymore, considering even if/when you get the covers and even if/when you get the ISO you -still- won't be using them in this 5* world!
    day 545 here. but haven't really played pve hard an extended length. heck I hardly ever t10, but am usually in the teens or 20s in rank, usually even in releases. been at that level for....3-4 months? ish? I was near that level in my 3* transition earlier and I completely went pve optional (after covering most of my 3s) for a while before they added LTs to progression. after they did that and I stepped up alliances I've been trying to do everything, even though no pve is required at all over here.

looking back I was happiest when pve didn't matter to me. after my 3s were covered and there were no 4s for normal play (no progression and only t2 got 4*s), there was little reason to play pve, other than some hp. now there are more premium rewards in there, but I can get the occasional progression and farm some iso without killing every freaking evening. Wednesdays/Thursdays are always the worst because of stacking LRs onto pve/pvp/ddq. take out pve and the rest becomes much more manageable.

I may be back at it in a few weeks (cause, addiction and stuff). but needing a break at the moment.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got suckered back in by the low scaling and easy 25cp in R&G, then the double iso. I'll be taking another break after CW2.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    But at least if we had progression we could grind/casually play at our own time. Being on a schedule sucks the life out of you. If you miss one optimal clear you are screwed for the event for the most part.

Progression would allow for the time put into the game to dictate what rewards you get. The top 10 PvE players have always grinded like crazy people anyways so it isn't that big of a deal IMO. It would just give more players the chance to actually receive those top rewards. Not everyone will get them. Most people won't get them. But it will bring the proverbial carrot closer and would probably have more people make more time/financial investments.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Redrobot30 wrote:
    But at least if we had progression we could grind/casually play at our own time. Being on a schedule sucks the life out of you. If you miss one optimal clear you are screwed for the event for the most part.

Progression would allow for the time put into the game to dictate what rewards you get. The top 10 PvE players have always grinded like crazy people anyways so it isn't that big of a deal IMO. It would just give more players the chance to actually receive those top rewards. Not everyone will get them. Most people won't get them. But it will bring the proverbial carrot closer and would probably have more people make more time/financial investments.

I really liked the last test - hit progression pretty easily since I could play whenever I wanted! I do think the test solves some problems (but would be even better without competition for end rewards...)

Looks like I'll hit progression in ISO-8 by playing mostly when I wanted (grinding for the ISO almost immediately) - looked after last sub opened today and calculated all I have to do is "correctly" play this last day. This is the first time I'll hit progression since they introduced CP progression, where I tried it and remembered why I hate it. All it took for me to run an 8-hour PVE to progression was 1) (Relatively) easy progression 2) Double ISO. 3) 4* essential I have champed and another 4* boosted I have champed. 4) Non-heroic, Winfinite active. 5) 5* getting pretty leveled, to make those essentials faster.

Perhaps the stars will align again in six months and I'll run another PVE! icon_lol.gif

Note that "playing on my time" (most rewards received, just haven't played three times a day) and "hitting progression" has left me 156th with 18 hours left...I won't get the 4* and I'm happier for it, since I didn't plan on being on the PC three specific times every day for seven straight days.
This discussion has been closed.