*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Every attempt at moving the tiles around to make a match 3 or 4 might as well say the same thing as hoods yellow cause it's going to end your turn and opponent gets to go.

But what happens when you make a match 5.......ohhhh you get to go again and use powers and make a match with tile. ....

I think it's bugged
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am seriously considering respecing Hood to 3/5/5. Why?......well consdiering I never use his yellow and his black is becoming more powerful with each character. I would love to see what Daken/Sentry/Hood 3/5/5 could do? Thoughts anyone?
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I am seriously considering respecing Hood to 3/5/5. Why?......well consdiering I never use his yellow and his black is becoming more powerful with each character. I would love to see what Daken/Sentry/Hood 3/5/5 could do? Thoughts anyone?
    My Hood has five black--just the way the covers turned out--and while he makes an awesome partner to Sentry it's probably not worth dropping HP to buy the covers unless you're rolling in dough. You're rarely going to get to use Daken/Sentry/Hood so most of the time you'll need to settle for Hood/Sentry/random third or Daken/Sentry/random third and both achieve almost the same results. You'll probably keep another one or two CD tiles with Hood but have more strike tile damage per CD tile with Daken (unless you boost and thus don't need as many green matches).

I completely agree that you're rarely going to use Hood's yellow because it's so expensive but literally the only time you're going to need 5 black is with Sentry. So the real question is how much do you like to shield hop with Sentry?
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    So the real question is how much do you like to shield hop with Sentry?

Lol, exactly
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I can't speak on the D/S/H combo, which sounds like a bad time to go against, but I will make a case for a 5 yellow Hood in PvE, which is where I use him the most these days. There are a lot of goons who generate yellow, and when scaling gets bad it's not uncommon for fights to drag on a bit. Between stealing and matching you can easily get to 15 yellow without even trying that hard, and a Twin Pistol shot that doesn't end the turn can literally be a life saver. He's my favorite tag team partner for Lazy Cap, who coincidentally has a **** yellow power, and the two of them do some serious work. Throw in OBW for maximum AP stealing and let the shields fly.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Having 5 in black only matters about 10% of the time when you do a World Rupture combo because it is just not that common for the sacrifice tile to be destroyed by the cascade caused by World Rupture itself and that's only relevent during a shield hop since even if you lose the sacrifice tile, World Rupture is still plenty strong on its own so you should still be in great shape to win the fight.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I can't speak on the D/S/H combo, which sounds like a bad time to go against, but I will make a case for a 5 yellow Hood in PvE, which is where I use him the most these days. There are a lot of goons who generate yellow, and when scaling gets bad it's not uncommon for fights to drag on a bit. Between stealing and matching you can easily get to 15 yellow without even trying that hard, and a Twin Pistol shot that doesn't end the turn can literally be a life saver. He's my favorite tag team partner for Lazy Cap, who coincidentally has a **** yellow power, and the two of them do some serious work. Throw in OBW for maximum AP stealing and let the shields fly.

I second this. There have been many times during this PvE that I've suddenly realized I had enough yellow for Hood's pistols without even trying to match yellow and it has come in handy to either get rid of countdown tiles or collect that last few AP I need for Steve's red or blue.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    mags1587 wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

I second this. There have been many times during this PvE that I've suddenly realized I had enough yellow for Hood's pistols without even trying to match yellow and it has come in handy to either get rid of countdown tiles or collect that last few AP I need for Steve's red or blue.

I agree. as well as he just saved my life. I wouldn't mess with Hood for only Sentry, but if we got 2 or 3 guys that create massive amounts of CD tiles, then perhaps 3/5/5 Hood bares another look. The only other possibilty in order to max black is to go 4/4/5 but that **** you worse than 3/5/5 IMO. I guess the issue is, is it worth gimping Hood's yellow for the ability to have Sentry's tiles go off one turn sooner. Mind you, you still have to have Daken, otherwise you need 8 green, 9 yellow, and 9 black. With Daken you would just need the green and black. The times I could cast it it was usually the second go around of World Rupture, or I just got a bad board unable to get green right away. And then once you do get the combo. Is again, gimping Hood worth 1 extra turn of dmg. yeah, I would love to play it, but I agree I think 5/5/3 is still the better Hood build
  • LavishDragoon
    LavishDragoon Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I was thinking about building a second hood. Being purely support his abilities scale off covers not levels. So for a minimum or no iso investment you could have him quite useable. I know most think duplicates aren't with it, but hoods case is different. Worth it?
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    I was thinking about building a second hood. Being purely support his abilities scale off covers not levels. So for a minimum or no iso investment you could have him quite useable. I know most think duplicates aren't with it, but hoods case is different. Worth it?
    If you only plan to use that 2nd Hood in PvE, yeah why not. And make sure not to let an AoE go off if you do.

Personally I'd sell them.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After the last PVE I finally have a cover-maxed Hood--3/5/5. Hood has been my white whale for the longest time--his yellow was the very last 3* cover I obtained.

My question is should I level him? He's currently level 118 which is the highest I can level him and still have Sentry and Patch tank yellow. If I throw any more ISO at him only Panther, Cap and Thor will tank yellow (and Thor only up to a certain point). As he currently stands, Hood only tanks blue unless I pair him with Panther in which case he's completely covered. It'll cover 103K ISO to completely level Hood. I don't really have a better place to put ISO at the moment--I have maxed Panther, Daken, Sentry, Punisher, Thor and Patch--so it's not really a question of should Hood be my first priority; it's a question of do I want to level him at all or keep him where he's at so he's better protected.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    After the last PVE I finally have a cover-maxed Hood--3/5/5. Hood has been my white whale for the longest time--his yellow was the very last 3* cover I obtained.

My question is should I level him? He's currently level 118 which is the highest I can level him and still have Sentry and Patch tank yellow. If I throw any more ISO at him only Panther, Cap and Thor will tank yellow (and Thor only up to a certain point). As he currently stands, Hood only tanks blue unless I pair him with Panther in which case he's completely covered. It'll cover 103K ISO to completely level Hood. I don't really have a better place to put ISO at the moment--I have maxed Panther, Daken, Sentry, Punisher, Thor and Patch--so it's not really a question of should Hood be my first priority; it's a question of do I want to level him at all or keep him where he's at so he's better protected.

I think you have enough characters to cover Hood while still giving him more health so I would say yes unless you want to wait for Deadpool. In PVP there are enough 3* buffed yellow to keep hood covered. in cage match you can go Patch, BP, hood and get 9 green 12 black fairly quickly. with him under leveled so much he will get an easy target in retaliations.
  • Hunter328
    Hunter328 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    They've been giving out a lot of Hood covers lately. I'm wondering if that means they're planning on Nerfing him soon.
  • Hunter328 wrote:
    They've been giving out a lot of Hood covers lately. I'm wondering if that means they're planning on Nerfing him soon.

See Deadpool's Red. If LDaken didn't trivialize killing Hood, Deadpool definitely does.
  • No.

What is there to nerf exactly?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Hood nerf before Sentry/Thor/now BP nerf? For serious? The poor guy only has 5k health. He has no game-ending abilities. (Black is only game-ending on offense.) Blue is only game-winning if you literally let Hood sit in the back safely as long as he needs. There's nothing broken and warranting a nerf about him.
  • The character with the least HP is also the least susceptible to Deadpool's ability because it cannot do more than 65% of the current health. 35% of his health is still a lot to go through with only match 3s, and if you need 2 moves, almost any 2 moves would've been enough to kill Hood without worrying about situational drawback.

I've been thinking about The Hood and I think he'll get nerfed because he's the opposite of the kind of power they want to sell. Most characters are way better on offense than defense, and it gives you an illusion of power because you don't see your team getting worked besides an abstract 'you were attacked!' message so people shell out money for them. The Hood is way better on defense than offense, so you don't really get much out of him while you're using him and you don't see much from him because either people boost and beat him anyway or they just avoid him and then you never see the attack in the first place. This might be why despite being possibly the only character that regularly requires boost to beat if you're not also using the same guy (Sentry can be killed without boosts quite reliably with an equal tier team that doesn't contain him) you still don't see that many Hoods around. I'm guessing they'll make him better on offense and lower his defensive ability, which to most people would be an overall buff and everyone is happy except the guy who is currently running Hood for defensive purposes.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I haven't tanked in the current LoT and I see quite a lot of Hoods running around. He does his job equally well on defense and offense - I haven't eaten many Headbutts in the Juggernaut node in PvE despite Juggy constantly getting 6 red AP just before Hood's steal taking place. It's quite noticeable unless you have no habit of looking at enemy AP. Besides, there's no Dormammu's Aid TU (or it's not intended to exist, anyway), so while you can run Aggressive Recon and Anti-Gravity Device TUs instead of running oBW, nothing is able to replace Hood/Falcon atm. For the sake of variety I sure hope he sees no nerfs.
  • let me guess...the nerf will be announced...say...26 hours from now, effective 27 hours from now, just for the utmost convenience? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • locked wrote:
    I haven't tanked in the current LoT and I see quite a lot of Hoods running around. He does his job equally well on defense and offense - I haven't eaten many Headbutts in the Juggernaut node in PvE despite Juggy constantly getting 6 red AP just before Hood's steal taking place. It's quite noticeable unless you have no habit of looking at enemy AP. Besides, there's no Dormammu's Aid TU (or it's not intended to exist, anyway), so while you can run Aggressive Recon and Anti-Gravity Device TUs instead of running oBW, nothing is able to replace Hood/Falcon atm. For the sake of variety I sure hope he sees no nerfs.

The defense team starts every fight with 100% of their health, and The Hood is one of the character that benefit the most for starting every fight at 100% since he is indeed very fragile. On offense he gets worn down rather easily if he has to be tanking anything. Only BP can tank all his colors, but BP + Hood means your only source of red/green has to come from the featured character which can leave a huge hole in your color coverage. This is more of a game design rather than any particular character trait so I'm not even sure how they're supposed to change that, but I'd like to see his offense/defense meet somewhere in the middle.