*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Spoit wrote:
    Yeah, without that 5th level, the yellow really isn't all that great a skill. Odds are that you're giving the AI a nice cascade opportunity with all that board shaking with it ending your turn. Not to mention, it leaves him in front to take a hit

I think you're right. I got all excited about Hood's black at 4 or 5 being useful until I remembered how sub-par yellow is when it ends the turn after using it.
  • djpt05
    djpt05 Posts: 178
    So from cover pulls and tourneys I just got my hood to 5/4/4. I'm debating spending HP to get blue to 5 instead. Is that a good idea?
  • djpt05 wrote:
    So from cover pulls and tourneys I just got my hood to 5/4/4. I'm debating spending HP to get blue to 5 instead. Is that a good idea?

Absolutely if you don't need the HP for other things -- Blue is THE reason to run The Hood and making it as effective as possible is a must to getting the most out of him.
  • djpt05 wrote:

The 5th blue steals yellow and black, which is only really useful if you have Thor, Sentry, or Black Panther. If you're not running any of these characters, you can probably live with level 4 blue for a while. Note that you probably have the top 2 character and another high end character in that list, so just because only 3 characters benefit from them doesn't mean it's weak. But if you got none of those 3 guys, you don't really need yellow or black AP. I guess it'd slow down the other side but anyone running Thor or Sentry almost certainly have characters that can deal with The Hood anyway.
  • nice analysis.... So having blue at 4 seems to be fine too. But somehow if you can steal, it will be a denial to the opp team too. But that's of cause if they are using thor, sentry or panther.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eh, given how the AI doesn't focus that much on particular covers, the drain on yellow and black can slow down Lthor or BP pretty significantly, so it still might be worth spending HP to upgrade.

Hell, if you only get 1 steal off, that's still probably an extra match they need
  • Spoit wrote:
    Eh, given how the AI doesn't focus that much on particular covers, the drain on yellow and black can slow down Lthor or BP pretty significantly, so it still might be worth spending HP to upgrade.

Hell, if you only get 1 steal off, that's still probably an extra match they need

Obviously every bit helps but I don't see a team without Thor or Sentry able to defeat one with high level Thor/Sentry consistently so unless you're hitting someone with a lot of points for a push (in that case you should be using boosts anyway) I don't think it matters that much. Thor/Sentry almost requires Thor/Sentry to defeat. I guess you can do say Patch + Mag which doesn't need yellow/black, but in that case you're not afraid of anyone else to begin with either.
  • Spoit
    Phantron wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Obviously every bit helps but I don't see a team without Thor or Sentry able to defeat one with high level Thor/Sentry consistently so unless you're hitting someone with a lot of points for a push (in that case you should be using boosts anyway) I don't think it matters that much. Thor/Sentry almost requires Thor/Sentry to defeat. I guess you can do say Patch + Mag which doesn't need yellow/black, but in that case you're not afraid of anyone else to begin with either.
    Thor can be worked around, but sentry is just too darn fast
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Phantron wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

I disagree - I regularly beat high level Thor teams because I have a hood denying ap. As long as you don't leave him as the last enemy he usually doesn't fire his abilities. Sentry is a different matter because of his lower AP costs - I haven't seen him enough but doubt hood owns him the same way.
  • Just remember what role hood falls into. He's pure tool/support. Both his damage skills do pitifuls amounts of damage compared to other skills...but he has the ability to slow the game down a bit. gather AP and speed up your team. Great tool. But definitely not OP as he can't create infinite turns alone, create infinite damage alone or do really anything alone. He also does not really combo. he's kinda unique in that role. Love having him on my team.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just remember what role hood falls into. He's pure tool/support. Both his damage skills do pitifuls amounts of damage compared to other skills...but he has the ability to slow the game down a bit. gather AP and speed up your team. Great tool. But definitely not OP as he can't create infinite turns alone, create infinite damage alone or do really anything alone. He also does not really combo. he's kinda unique in that role. Love having him on my team.

Captain America and the Hood would like to disagree on your combo, as would any champ with decent CD tiles. If you decide to go insane 3/5/5 Hood, he sure likes Sentry. Agree with everything up until Combo,
  • Spoit
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Just remember what role hood falls into. He's pure tool/support. Both his damage skills do pitifuls amounts of damage compared to other skills...but he has the ability to slow the game down a bit. gather AP and speed up your team. Great tool. But definitely not OP as he can't create infinite turns alone, create infinite damage alone or do really anything alone. He also does not really combo. he's kinda unique in that role. Love having him on my team.

Captain America and the Hood would like to disagree on your combo, as would any champ with decent CD tiles. If you decide to go insane 3/5/5 Hood, he sure likes Sentry. Agree with everything up until Combo,
    Cap/IM40/hood is amazing for PvE, where you don't need to worry about defensive teams or how long you take
  • Phaserhawk wrote:

Oh man, yes....he "speeds" things up but it is a combo here. A very good combo too. Though...it does mean going x/x/5 which is pretty rough to give up. probably 3/5/5 in this case. One of the few covers I want 5/5/5 on if possible icon_e_biggrin.gif if I knew this earlier...the first week of playing I would have leveled my hood to 16/16/16 to get 5/5/5....kudos and props to anyone that gets that...it means you're really old school.
  • buddy2034
    buddy2034 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    I've completed a couple 141s in Patch, Hulk, Pun and Mags. Should I be pumping Hood or Thor next? I find myself skipping Hood way more often in PVP, but that's just me and I'd like some input. Do the maxed Hoods get skipped or defensive victories more than Thors?
  • buddy2034 wrote:
    I've completed a couple 141s in Patch, Hulk, Pun and Mags. Should I be pumping Hood or Thor next? I find myself skipping Hood way more often in PVP, but that's just me and I'd like some input. Do the maxed Hoods get skipped or defensive victories more than Thors?

hoods and obw sometimes can really mess you up if they get a good cascade of purple or blue. Either steal your AP or Heal up, or both. personally....on defense they aren't that great since they have pretty low HP and Sentry/Hulk/Patches make for a scarier scarier team on defense. but all teams on defense can be broken....if I were you...I would actually not level anyone and hold off. stockpile some AP since we still have she hulk and the 3 star mohawk storm and Nick Fury coming out. you already have a great set of 141s...i would hold off.
  • So I lately have a maxed Patch.. But my 110 Hood tanks yellow regardless of position icon_e_sad.gif

What to do, should I keep pumping him to 141? Any of you using Hood with Patch/Lthor just let Hood tanks yellow?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    iPulzzz wrote:
    So I lately have a maxed Patch.. But my 110 Hood tanks yellow regardless of position icon_e_sad.gif

What to do, should I keep pumping him to 141? Any of you using Hood with Patch/Lthor just let Hood tanks yellow?

Therin lies the balance of Hood, he tanks yellow almost always, as well as black and blue, you have to be careful with his pairings. The only way to fully protect Hood is to pair him with BP, that way BP will always take damage. However Captain America will tank yellow for hood, as well as falcon and spider-man. Which is why I find the best pairing with Hood to be Captain America and Punisher, those guys tank all colors, just make sure Cap is #1 spot, all Hood will tank is blue.

But if your goal is to use Hood as an accelerator for Thor than you are going to have to switch Patch out for either BP, Cap, Falcon, or Spiderman. However, on defense the AI will use Spiderman, and BP before Thor's yellow, leaving you with either Cap or Falcon, and Falcon/Hood/Thor is squishy and slow, so you may want to opt for good old Captain America. This allows Cap to Tank for Thor. It's your blue you have to be careful, but once you get a protect shield out, you can match more blue with safety as Hood will be a little protected.
  • I used Hood yellow move.....not at lvl 5 yet so I knew it would end the turn.

The cascade resulted in a 5 match for another turn.

I waited to see if it would really let me go and when cascade ended it was still my turn...all legit.....I used a move...hulks red....and when executed the enemy took dmg but then it was their turn.....I never got to do a match 3 move for my turn......aka bug
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    it has been suggested before that the match-5 popup shouldn't say "extra turn" but should say "keep going" or "match again" or something so that there would be less semantic arguments about what constitutes a "turn."

In gameplay terms, a "turn" involves the following
    o countdown abilities count down, if at 0 they activate. If cascades occur, each cascade resolves before moving on. Repeat for each count down ability.
    o Static abilities check and resolve, aka Regeneration or Dormommu's Aid.
    o You may play abilities or make a match. If you play an ability that does not end the turn, you may then play an ability or make a match. If you make a match your turn is over after all cascades occur unless a match 5 is made, in which case you repeat this step.

It appears that Hood's ability here merely takes away the ability to do continue playing in the las step of the last part of the turn. Had you chosen to make a match, play any other power, ect, the turn would have ended regardless. The "extra turn" does not make your count down tiles tick nor does it make Hood steal more AP. This is less of a bug than it is a misunderstanding of what the match-5 "extra turn" constitutes.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    TL;DR: it's working as intended