*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• You don't need levels on The Hood for PvE, but you need it on PvP because he's almost always the first person anyone attacks first.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He's a very balanced character, in fact he is probably a little underpowered. His blue is fine, I think everyone agrees that shouldn't be messed with, I know I would like to see black be able to reduce countdown tiles by 2 at level 5 that would allow more build diversity, and yellow(twin pistols) needs to be able to do more damage. I would rather see flat damage than tile damage, but oh boy his 4.5x on enviro tiles is nice.
  • I agree he's a little underpowered in sheer strength and there are only a few things you can do to change.

Yellow
    Destroys 3 3x3 sections (makes it 27 tile destruction for 15...might be too strong)

Blue
    Whenever there are 9 or more tiles, steal (might be too strong)

Black
    If there are no timers, double the damage dealt (similar to moonstones but with timers)
  • Why on earth are people asking for a buff to possibly the strongest defensive PvP character in the game?

One red AP can be converted to 200 damage readily in most rosters. Stealing 1 red AP is a 400 damage turn around. If a character has a passive that just does 400 damage to a random person each turn that'd be pretty awesome, and that's for stealing only 1 red AP. Stealing 1 green AP with Thor on your side is worth 500 damage (and -500 for them if they also have Thor).

People don't seem to get that accumulating AP is the same as doing a ton of damage. The only reason this isn't true is if the character you plan to consume the AP somehow died before you can do that, but if the person consuming your AP is Thor, you don't really have to worry about that. There's a reason why all the recent new AP steals all do pretty weird things that are generally ineffective (Daredevil, Psylocke, Nick Fury) because straight up AP steal is way too powerful. Note that Nick Fury steals AP of their strongest color, which is likely to be a color that will have its AP consumed immediately, so its arguably even worse than Psylocke, who can at least steal a dead color that might be useful to you.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, this guy is among the top 6 characters in the game right now, so I'm pretty sure that the buff could be better used elsewhere (I'm looking at you, Bagdevil).
  • The only change I would do is make his black an AOE. Keep all the damage levels the same.
  • a 800-1000 damage aoe nuke for 9 black isn't a bad idea at all...
  • a 800-1000 damage aoe nuke for 9 black isn't a bad idea at all...

If it did that, then that's all it can do (no CD reduction). CD reduction is actually pretty valuable now that we got lazy Captain and Nick Fury coming in a month. Even Human Torch benefits a lot for firing his green CD multiple times. I guess in general doing AE damage is still preferable, but I like The Hood's unique ability to aide friendly CDs. If you want someone who just does AE damage for cheap, The Punisher has that covered.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Why on earth are people asking for a buff to possibly the strongest defensive PvP character in the game?

One red AP can be converted to 200 damage readily in most rosters. Stealing 1 red AP is a 400 damage turn around. If a character has a passive that just does 400 damage to a random person each turn that'd be pretty awesome, and that's for stealing only 1 red AP. Stealing 1 green AP with Thor on your side is worth 500 damage (and -500 for them if they also have Thor).

People don't seem to get that accumulating AP is the same as doing a ton of damage. The only reason this isn't true is if the character you plan to consume the AP somehow died before you can do that, but if the person consuming your AP is Thor, you don't really have to worry about that. There's a reason why all the recent new AP steals all do pretty weird things that are generally ineffective (Daredevil, Psylocke, Nick Fury) because straight up AP steal is way too powerful. Note that Nick Fury steals AP of their strongest color, which is likely to be a color that will have its AP consumed immediately, so its arguably even worse than Psylocke, who can at least steal a dead color that might be useful to you.

Hood is great however I personally think, and I think many will agree, that Characters should have more than one used build. Changing the countdown to reduce by 2 isn't much of a buff especially when you compare it to other black abilities. Hood's Intimidation is one match short of Rage of the Panther, Inferno, Summon Demons, and one match more than Psi-Katana. All of which are better. Reducing CDs by 2 would mean people are actively trying to generate black AP when using Hood not just using Intimidation when they have enough AP and a CD is down. Also it will in no way improve the AI's ability to play Hood as the AI will use it without CDs. Its strickly a offensive utility boost and a need one if you ask me.
  • djpt05
    djpt05 Posts: 178
    Options
    Is it worth trying to roll out the Hood if I only have 3 blue? Haven't been able to win any more recently....
    Right now I have him at 5/3/4
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Not worth it usually, he starts to shine at 4-5 blue. If your other 2 teammates are already strong and have cheap red/green/blue/purple powers, go ahead. Level 5 Twin Pistols is nifty if there are no other yellow powers. Intimidation is lazyCap's best friend. Also semi-decent with Ares/Punisher/MMN/BP. Other CD characters are mostly badly compatible with the Hood.
  • you almost always want 5 in blue. it's most effective that way and almost want 5 in yellow too. being able to destroy tiles, generate AP and use it in the same turn is HUGE
  • If you don't have lazy Thor or lazy Cap you can technically do with only 4 in blue because you only need yellow for Thor and black for Captain (for intimidation for his CDs).
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Regardless, his yellow needs more damage period. For what it does I'm okay with the high cost, but seriously make it like C.Mags Red, tile damage plus a little bonus so it kinda hurts but not so it interfaces with strike tiles. even 50 dmg would be nice.
  • locked wrote:
    Not worth it usually, he starts to shine at 4-5 blue. If your other 2 teammates are already strong and have cheap red/green/blue/purple powers, go ahead. Level 5 Twin Pistols is nifty if there are no other yellow powers. Intimidation is lazyCap's best friend. Also semi-decent with Ares/Punisher/MMN/BP. Other CD characters are mostly badly compatible with the Hood.

Torch's Flame jet is decent assuming 9 green Ap and at least 3 tiles. Though I am not sure I would run both in a PVP even as together they are pretty squishy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    oh ya btw... With the introduction of sentry's green skill which creates multiple CD tiles, it makes hood black skill level 5 kinda useful. So optimal build (when using with sentry) shall be 3/5/5. Agreeable ?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hannybal wrote:
    oh ya btw... With the introduction of sentry's green skill which creates multiple CD tiles, it makes hood black skill level 5 kinda useful. So optimal build (when using with sentry) shall be 3/5/5. Agreeable ?

Mmm in fact I think it would be better if you have black at 3 or 4, because if you fire hood black to just some of Sentry's tiles you can do Sentry's damage in two different turns, so if you kill all your enemies with the first batch, you don't fire the second round and you damage your own team less (if you have very strong strike tiles, with just 5 tiles you could have enough to kill the other team). Of course if the other team doesn0t die with the first batch you still have the second. So I think 4 in black could be better if you plan to using the Hood with the Sentry.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Hannybal wrote:

Mmm in fact I think it would be better if you have black at 3 or 4, because if you fire hood black to just some of Sentry's tiles you can do Sentry's damage in two different turns, so if you kill all your enemies with the first batch, you don't fire the second round and you damage your own team less (if you have very strong strike tiles, with just 5 tiles you could have enough to kill the other team). Of course if the other team doesn0t die with the first batch you still have the second. So I think 4 in black could be better if you plan to using the Hood with the Sentry.
    Well, great point ! Plus the random cascades on 2 turns instead of 1. But leaving yellow at 4 saves him 1 AP too.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'd argue that a 5/5/3 build is still best due to the best value point in yellow is his fifth point...unless you have yellow covered and you udon't care for it. then 3/5/5 especially if you are really heavy on countdown tiles. But that does lock him into a box more as a specialty pick. I still argue being able to destroy 18 tiles of mostly your choosing as well as generate AP and keep using it that turn wins rounds.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, without that 5th level, the yellow really isn't all that great a skill. Odds are that you're giving the AI a nice cascade opportunity with all that board shaking with it ending your turn. Not to mention, it leaves him in front to take a hit