Divine Champions Mar 07 - Mar 09

Comments

• I like that they're restructuring the rewards a little bit, but giving out only 1 2* cover is gonna be hell for people in the 1* -> 2* transition. I'm hoping this is a mistake. C. Storm happens to be one that I'm interested in so grabbing 3 of those covers would be really yummy
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Tanking tourney.
  • Either devs are in love with IM40 and Punisher, or they want to give out more "basic" type 3* that while not incredible, can make a very solid backbone for teams.
    Or they are just lazy and keep copy-pasting the same rewards over and over icon_razz.gif

I like the significant iso reward increase however. 250 felt really odd before, as you can make more in two fights.
    It also feels very good to play without shields and not bothering about retaliations at all
  • Il Palazzo wrote:
    Either devs are in love with IM40 and Punisher, or they want to give out more "basic" type 3* that while not incredible, can make a very solid backbone for teams.
    Or they are just lazy and keep copy-pasting the same rewards over and over icon_razz.gif

I like the significant iso reward increase however. 250 felt really odd before, as you can make more in two fights.
    It also feels very good to play without shields and not bothering about retaliations at all

Maybe the rewards fot tournies are seeded randomly and d3 doesn't set them themselves. 2 IM40 tourney in a row seems strange.
  • Microtom wrote:
    Il Palazzo wrote:
    Either devs are in love with IM40 and Punisher, or they want to give out more "basic" type 3* that while not incredible, can make a very solid backbone for teams.

Maybe the rewards fot tournies are seeded randomly and d3 doesn't set them themselves. 2 IM40 tourney in a row seems strange.

This seems pretty doubtful.
  • Microtom wrote:
    Il Palazzo wrote:

lol, I can imagine that meeting...

"How else can we use the RNG to screw players over?"
    "Oh, I know..."
  • over_clocked
    IM 40 is one of the characters that I have no hopes of catching up on, and he's not that great anyway. Other such characters for me include GSBW and Patch. Not that they are that great anyway. cStorm is long maxed...
  • I need a top 10 finish for the yellow cover I need to finish IM40, but I'll take anywhere in the top 150 for a quick 1000+ ISO. Good to see the ISO payouts increased, it makes sense as a reward for a 60 hour tournament.
  • locked wrote:
    IM 40 is one of the characters that I have no hopes of catching up on, and he's not that great anyway. Other such characters for me include GSBW and Patch. Not that they are that great anyway. cStorm is long maxed...

Did you say Patch and GSBW aren't that great? Patch is one of the best offensive characters in the game, and if you have someone to help generate green GSBW can finish an entire team in one shot.
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    locked wrote:

Did you say Patch and GSBW aren't that great? Patch is one of the best offensive characters in the game, and if you have someone to help generate green GSBW can finish an entire team in one shot.

someone like IM40 icon_mrgreen.gif
  • over_clocked
    DaveyPitch wrote:
    locked wrote:

someone like IM40 icon_mrgreen.gif
    They aren't that great for me, because GSBW is slowish and negligible on defense, Patch is way too risky and has to be built around, there's no sense in having him unless you have all the covers, especially 5 red, and level him well over the rest of his support squad. Patch is bad on defense as well. I'm not saying that he's bad on a team of lvl 141 Punisher and Magneto/Spider-Man, that's just not my level, but lvl 141 Patch with oBW and a third whoever I can deal with.
    I get it, they are cool for those who have them, same here with other characters.

edit: some Narkon dude kept attacking me with his Patch-Punisher-oBW team, I lolled when he leveled both Patch and Punisher from 60-ish to 80 or 90-ish. Still lose on defense to 1* Storm and 2** Wolvie.
  • A lack of 2* prizes isn't a big deal since if you're getting 1 token per sub event in PvE (not terribly hard to do) that'd be 2 per day roughly and you'll soon have an abundance of 2* anyway, and you get a heroic token at 300 rating for all PvP events too.

Patch is actually quite strong on defense. People seems to think that he's liability because they can stunlock you after you do Berserker Rage, but if they have Spiderman, you already lost the game anyway. The Best There Is is even better on defense than offense, since it is almost impossible to kill Patch first even with only 3 in healing factor.
  • Phantron wrote:
    A lack of 2* prizes isn't a big deal since if you're getting 1 token per sub event in PvE (not terribly hard to do) that'd be 2 per day roughly and you'll soon have an abundance of 2* anyway, and you get a heroic token at 300 rating for all PvP events too.

Patch is actually quite strong on defense. People seems to think that he's liability because they can stunlock you after you do Berserker Rage, but if they have Spiderman, you already lost the game anyway. The Best There Is is even better on defense than offense, since it is almost impossible to kill Patch first even with only 3 in healing factor.

I highly disagree, I love attacking patch with my classic Mag. His berserker turns my blue into free instakills and patch just gets purple nuked. I actively seek out patch to prey on
  • entropic01 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    A lack of 2* prizes isn't a big deal since if you're getting 1 token per sub event in PvE (not terribly hard to do) that'd be 2 per day roughly and you'll soon have an abundance of 2* anyway, and you get a heroic token at 300 rating for all PvP events too.

I highly disagree, I love attacking patch with my classic Mag. His berserker turns my blue into free instakills and patch just gets purple nuked. I actively seek out patch to prey on

If you got classic Magneto the other team is already dead too. Most of the games I have against Patch they'd never have 9 green because Magneto could've killed everyone long before that happens.

There's not much point to worry about how to defend against the two characters that basically never lose (Magneto/Spiderman).
  • Phantron wrote:
    entropic01 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

If you got classic Magneto the other team is already dead too. Most of the games I have against Patch they'd never have 9 green because Magneto could've killed everyone long before that happens.

There's not much point to worry about how to defend against the two characters that basically never lose (Magneto/Spiderman).

Point taken but Patch actively speeds up my kills, so like I said I look for him
  • over_clocked
    edited March 2014
    Sometimes I even kill enemy Patch last, since it's usually possible to deny green/red. I try to kill him second if there are negligible third characters like mHawkeye, Daredevil, GSBW, etc. Well suppose he gets green off while he's the last man standing; this is usually his last move. Okay he gets even red off when I don't have a Recon or stun ready, kills one of mine. So what? By this point I have enough AP to kill him with 2 characters left. I agree with most of the forum, Punisher is a much better defender.

oops thread derailed.
  • entropic01 wrote:
    Point taken but Patch actively speeds up my kills, so like I said I look for him

I look for him too, but it's never stopped me from including him on my team.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    So looking for some input on who I should field for this event.

Relevant options (above 100 or buffed)
    141 Punisher 3/5/5
    115 Spider-Man 3/4/5
    104 Dr. Doom 5/5
    85 Ares 4/4/5
    85 Thor 4//4/5
    60 Classic Storm 5/5/3
    38 Ragnarok 4/2
    30 Modern Storm 5/5/3
    28 Loki 2/1 (But likely 4/2 after Hero tournament ends)

Tempted to go Ares Thor Spidey but was contemplating putting some Iso into Storm to replace one of the muscle men. My IM40 is 5/4/2 so really want to top 10 this one. Thanks for the advice!
  • Hrmm...

So, in exchange for more ISO, hero points become even rarer.

100 hero point ranking requirements went from 45th place --> 25th place.
    50 hero point ranking requirements went from 150th place --> 100th place.

Further, there are two new "consolation prize" brackets for each tier.

3*** hero tier - 1 cover + 50 hp --> 26th place --> 50th place.
    2** hero tier - 1 cover + 25 hp --> 101th place --> 150th place.

Also, achieving multiple 3*** covers was nerfed as well.

To earn 2 3*** covers, you now need 10th place instead of 15th place.

I wonder what was the logic behind suddenly deciding to make tourney covers rarer nearly half a year into the game?
  • From the mid-level player (but dedicated icon_twisted.gif ), I like this rewards system. All the necessary **star chars maxes, almost all the **star covers obtained, so getting more ISO instead of covers is a good thing.

(not to mention more ISO for selling those **star covers...)

Anyway, let's summarize this tourney for me:
    * I like the rewards (2500ISO!)
    * I want IM40
    * I already put some ISO into Ares (from 60 to 73, will put more)
    * Punisher compliments Ares really nicely (I use all the colors and have some diversity in using red and green powers, depending on the situation)
    * good tourney timing
    * my bracket is slimy