Would you still play this game if it was DC?

124»

Comments

• Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    DC doesn't have the character depth.

The bat family is say about equivalent in depth to the Spiderman family. Thor I think gets more mileage out of his pantheon than wonder woman and superman's entourage might be similar to Cap's id you include howling commandos. Green Arrow's crew goes up against Iron Man's at about a wash.

Green Lantern Corps is really DC's shining light in terms of character numbers, but you can stack that against say Guardians of the Galaxy and Fantastic Four with all the other galactic stuff (Nova Corps, Shi'ar empire, Kree Empire)

The Avengers leaves Justice Society/League for dead, especially as many of their members are the individuals listed earlier, where the avengers at one stage had 4 teams running and still plenty in reserve. That's even including 3 or 4 versions of the Flash.

Thunderbolts vs Suicide squad is a wash really, I think there have been more Thunderbolts over the years, but some of them also fall into other categories.

Teen Titans is probably deeper than Young Avengers or Avengers Academy, but they probably wash out combined.

And there isn't anything left to pit against the whole of the X universe, or the Inhumans, which is a fair chunk of the Marvel stable.

But it isn't just quantity, it's also about quality. The latest sales figures I could come up with were here: http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/33887/top-300-comics-actual-february-2016. The first DC title that doesn't contain Batman comes in at #40 for Superman - the coming of the Supermen #1. That isn't a good sign for roster diversity. Even Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles came in at #14. Harley Quinn one of Batman's humorous opponents is outselling Superman with 2 comics!

In that same top 40 you have Spidey, Deadpool, Thor, 2 Avengers teams, 3 Xmen teams, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Daredevil, an avengers event comic, two different versions of Wolverine and a Power man and Iron Fist comic.

Now maybe I am being unfair by going to the first non Batman containing title on the list, if I go top 50 instead Wonder Woman and Green Lantern sneak in - being outsold by Totally Awesome Hulk and you know how much we love that guy around here...
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would Animal Man, of all characters, be the DCPQ analogue to Deadpool?

Eddiemon, did you include the New Gods/Fourth World stuff? Big Barda, Mr. Miracle, Kalibak, All-Father, that red guy (Darkseid's son), etc.

And I'm a little miffed that you say that JLA doesn't have roster depth. I mean, how can any organization that boasts B'wana Beast be considered shallow? icon_e_wink.gif
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    No....I was never a DC guy. The only DC character I really like is Batman (and related characters Joker, etc)....I honestly can't name you more than a couple of DC characters beyond the Batman universe (Flash, Superman, Supergirl, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Darkseid, Swamp Thing, Doomsday.....that is about it) . I can name you a ton of Marvel characters....yes a ton...so many that the mere words themselves would weigh 2000lbs. icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would Animal Man, of all characters, be the DCPQ analogue to Deadpool?

I would actually have gone with Harley Quinn there. Fourth wall damage, weird fetishes and so on.
    Eddiemon, did you include the New Gods/Fourth World stuff? Big Barda, Mr. Miracle, Kalibak, All-Father, that red guy (Darkseid's son), etc.

No, they always annoyed me enough to make me ignore them icon_e_smile.gif
    And I'm a little miffed that you say that JLA doesn't have roster depth. I mean, how can any organization that boasts B'wana Beast be considered shallow? icon_e_wink.gif

I said depth, not quality. The Avengers once had Swordsman, Sandman and Rage as members so this is clearly a quantity not necessarily quality argument.