Would you still play this game if it was DC?

Comments

• mazerat
    mazerat Posts: 118
    For sure, I like comics in general.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    20three wrote:
    Instead of Marvel?

How important is the Marvel component to you? Would you care if instead of 4 Wolverines we had 4 Batmans, Superman was Captain America, Wonder Woman was Black Widow, Matter Eater Lad was Howard the Duck, etc...
    that marvel component is interchangeable
    i dont really see what MPQ has to do with marvel, except for the skins and covers.

random heroes have random colors and skills.
    power hierarchy from the comics is nonexistent.

i wouldnt see a difference if it was batman, flash, arrow or even the whole mortal kombat universe. just slap on random colors (think of the ninjas - the colors would make even more sense), think of some random text that explains that characters nuke/aoe/board shake attacks, aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you are done.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2016
    No way would I be playing this if it were DC instead of Marvel, I have no love for DC...
    I'm so bored of Batman.
    Especially since now DC wants to portray the Frank Miller "I enjoy going out on the streets and beating up poor people." version of Batman rather than the 90s animated Worlds Greatest Detective version of Batman that I actually like.

Hell, I'd take the 60s campy version over the god awful grimdark thug we have these days.
    Pretty much this, very much on both counts. Batman just seems so over done, he's on like everything these days. (I mean, Batman 'Love Letter'? Seriously? I'm never going to grasp the reasoning for that.)

Actually I take that back. Probably the only way I would probably be playing a DC Puzzle Quest is if it were the campy 60's version. I loved that stuff when I was a kid and back then was probably the only real enjoyment I every really got out of DC.

Edit:
    I have been wishing for a DC match-3 game like puzzle quest for years. I would love this.
    Have you ever played Puzzle & Dragons? It's a free match-3 kind of game where you collect critters to fight other critters by matching gems, it's apparently pretty popular. It also has a lot of weird cross promotions, from Attack on Titan to Hello Kitty and even, yes, DC comics (to which I refer back to my earlier statement of Batman being put in everything).
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2016
    I'm kind of disappointed at the lack of representation Marvel has in gaming, DC has them beat. I want my Ant Man platformer already.
  • SpecSpecter
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    I'm kind of disappointed at the lack of representation Marvel has in gaming, DC has them beat. I want my Ant Man platforms already.
    As an adult toy collector this is kind of how I feel about things.
    Marvel comes out with something new? Stores maybe will have a locker-sized section for it in the toy section. DC does something? They clear out an entire aisle for it.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    If MPQ was DCPQ instead?
    I'd probably have played it more.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I never played puzzle quest prior to this. I'm not the biggest fan of DC, I read more Marvel growing up, but did like DC in cartoons more than comics.

Did get a few HeroClix with my son.

I don't think it would have had the same appeal and I don't know if I would have downloaded it at that time.

I would download it and play it now.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Would I still play it? Absolutely!
    Would I enjoy it as much? Probably not.

You see, I read both Marvel and DC comics, but Marvel has always been my main comic house whereas with DC I only read the big titles (Action Comics, Superman, Batman, Batman & Robin, Dark Knight, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Supergirl and Justice League).

So if a DC version of MPQ came out (DCPQ?), then I would definitely give it a go and enjoy the major characters, but I think I wouldn't enjoy the lesser-known characters so much, like e.g. the Teen Titans. Whereas with Marvel, even a lesser-known character is very familiar and is a character I enjoy, given I read about all the Marvel comics.

To sum it up, a DC version would be fun but MPQ would remain my favorite and my mainstay.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    not a comic fan, so probably not at this point (the movies are the source of most of my interest). if marvel pq didn't exist and I had found it when I was looking for a match-3 game 400+ days ago, absolutely yes. if this game withers away and a dc game was out, sure I'd give it a spin. I have no extra playing time for anything extra. if they ever started a star wars PQ or a LotR PQ, and I could get in early, my mpq days might be numbered.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Sure, I read more DC than Marvel as a kid. In fact, you could just limit it to Legion of Superheroes PQ and I'd be downloading right now.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    No.

I am not saying Marvel is superior to DC, but it's the universe I am familiar with and the comics I read... When the gameplay gets old, the characters themselves are cool to me, largely because I know them already.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I definitely have more attachment to Marvel characters than to DC. But at this point a new puzzle RPG set in a universe I cared even a little about would be enough to get me to put this game down for good. As long as 1) I could play it on my computer, not just on my phone; and 2) It had nothing to do with this developer or publisher.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    I think the thing is, DC really does not have great heroes. Outside of the core justice league, there is practically no one, but outside the Avengers there are ton of recognizable and loved characters. Like compare the question to the punisher. The X-Men alone have arguably better and more interesting characters than DC. Then again, DC has better villains, Batman's rogues are infinitely better than Spider-Man (like half of them are seriously just people mutated or dressed like animals). But knowing this game's lack of villains, that under-representation might be a reoccurring trait in the parallel universe where it's DC puzzle quest.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Superman (enemy AI) has a power that will make anyone playing Batman retreat the game. The power is called "My Mom Is Martha".
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I'd happily try a DC PQ. I grew up on comics from both DC and Marvel, I've liked the Puzzle Quest games from the start, of course I'd play it.

And fielding an opening roster of 40-50 would be easy.
    In groups of 5 (for neatness)
    • Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern
    • Green Arrow, Flash, Hawkman, John Jonzz, Cyborg
    • Atom, Black Canary, Firestorm, Red Tornado, Zatanna
    • Robin, Batgirl, Supergirl, Kid Flash, Superboy
    • Blue Beetle, Doctor Fate, Elongated Man, Captain Atom
    • Hawkgirl, Huntress, Power Girl, Vixen,
    • Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Bizarro, Darkseid, Doomsday
    • Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze
    • Captain Cold, Grodd, Sinestro, Black Manta, Amazo
    • Lobo, Starro, Ra'as Al Guul, Solomon Grundy, Toyman
    And there's plenty more to go. Different Lanterns, Robins, sidekicks, tertiary JLA members, alternate looks, etc.

MPQ currently has nearly 100 characters, you could do the same for a DC PQ, easy.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    I'm an MPQ fan and have been since I got the first one on my Nintendo DS. Marvel is an added bonus for sure. DC wouldn't interest me nearly as much but I still wouldn't have hesitated to download it.
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    I started playing it because it got a 9.1 on IGN
  • Hoho69
    Hoho69 Posts: 48
    Yes HELL YES FOR DC...

MPQ developers you guys listening?
  • SpecSpecter
    20three wrote:
    (like half of them are seriously just people mutated or dressed like animals)
    ...so are you talking about Batman's rogue gallery or Spider-man's? Because honestly I can see it going ether way icon_razz.gif
  • Thevipper
    Thevipper Posts: 90
    Honestly yes i would download but if flash or robin wasnt good id lose interest fast.