Comic Sell Price Change Reasoning/Discussion

Options
1235»

Comments

• Impulse wrote:
    The HP from tokens will balance out with lost HP from covers for high level players. For new and mid level, this is a straight up HP increase.

This is flat out incorrect. For that to be the case, high level players would have to be opening standard tokens in the same ratio as they were winning 3-* covers in events vs. new and mid players - that is to say, they'd need to be cracking ~10x as many standard tokens. This simply isn't the case, since standard tokens are being won and cracked primarily by players finishing ~50-100 in events, or doing Prologue or PvE content. The purpose of this change is to distribute HP more evenly among players, and increase the amount of Iso for high level players. It's not meant so that high level players have the same amount of HP after the change.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unity wrote:
    aussiemac wrote:
    What is the advantage to hoarding standard tokens?

You have a better chance at pulling a 2* plus.
    I'm fairly sure that's a myth. Is there any math to back it up?
  • DayvBang wrote:
    Unity wrote:
    aussiemac wrote:
    What is the advantage to hoarding standard tokens?

You have a better chance at pulling a 2* plus.
    I'm fairly sure that's a myth. Is there any math to back it up?

It's all anecdotal. For me it always seems i get nice covers in "streaks" so if you can do more at once you streak better. The main reason I'm starting to save covers is that I have most covers that I want already, there are a few I don't have like 4* IW and 3* GSBW and 3* Hodd, but that's about it. I'd rather wait until Psylock and Black Panther are available via that avenue then blow all my tokens trying to get some of them.
  • Just pulled a 25 HP from a standard token. Better than getting Storm and Iron man for the millionth time icon_e_smile.gif
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think covers sells should give one HP per star- I doesn't break the bank for them but it adds up for us
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Edit 2: I just saw the first person pull an HP out of a pack. icon_e_smile.gif

Hmm, I wonder if this was me. I got HP from a token soon after it went live and it would have been roughly around that time.
  • Dunkelgrau wrote:
    Impulse wrote:
    The HP from tokens will balance out with lost HP from covers for high level players. For new and mid level, this is a straight up HP increase.

This is flat out incorrect. For that to be the case, high level players would have to be opening standard tokens in the same ratio as they were winning 3-* covers in events vs. new and mid players - that is to say, they'd need to be cracking ~10x as many standard tokens. This simply isn't the case, since standard tokens are being won and cracked primarily by players finishing ~50-100 in events, or doing Prologue or PvE content. The purpose of this change is to distribute HP more evenly among players, and increase the amount of Iso for high level players. It's not meant so that high level players have the same amount of HP after the change.

You're a bit on the anal side, eh? Not everyone places top five every event to sell covers. For those players, yes, their HP will go down. People who only went after prizes they needed shouldn't see much change. At least, that's the goal according to the annoucement.
  • This change means only one thing for me:

The era of me spending HP on 'Daily Deals' has come to an end. From now on, recruit tokens ONLY.

One of (read: the only) best feature of cover sell-back was that if the RNG felt like squeezing your junk by giving you a 3* cover you don't want OR need, you could have sold it back to recoup 25-ish percent of the HP you just tossed. Now, the user must assume ALL RISK of HP expenditures.
    As an example: I managed to pick up 3 Patch covers over the I-8B PvE; one from a token and two from DDs. I have no interest in fielding a Patch. Previously, I could have sold all 3 for recouping, and only been out 125 HPs. With R48, I am out 200 HP, plain & simple.
    With all the mostly positive feedback on R48, this is the standout as the sole negative change in the update. And MPQ needed R48 to go over well after their ratings got PASTED when R47 went live(from 4.5 down to a 2.5 star rating).

Ima stop here, before this gets too ranty. I will close by saying that, as I stated here, this problem goes away as soon as Cover Trading gets implemented.
  • Someone who is selling 3* for HP on a regular basis is not going have much need of covers, or HP for that matter. It really doesn't affect the guy who can afford to sell them constantly, and if anything getting iso 8 is probably better because that's the true limiting factor in the end minus the extremely new character (no way you're having a maxed Psylocke from just events without spending some HP to buy covers).

What I find myself doing a lot is I figure I can shield for 75 HP and sell 3 covers back for 75 HP so I might as well do it even though I have no use for the covers because I'll still net some extra iso8 not to mention a piece of mind. Now doing this would result in a net negative HP, and while I don't really need HP, I certainly don't want to come out with a negative HP too often on tournaments, and without shields it's pretty much impossible to hold top 5 casually but that's okay because the top 5 should go to guys who are more willing to fight for it, either through shields or by playing like crazy in the last 3 hours.
  • Phantron wrote:

What I find myself doing a lot is I figure I can shield for 75 HP and sell 3 covers back for 75 HP so I might as well do it even though I have no use for the covers because I'll still net some extra iso8 not to mention a piece of mind.

Hmm. I view the 75HP 3-hr shield as the cost of getting the Top 5 three cover set(or moreover, the CHANCE to get said covers. 5 players passing you after shielding @ #1 IS possible, if your score is 700, +/- 25-ish).

From that viewpoint, 75HP for (up to) 3 3* covers (or 3 3* & 1 4*, if you hold at #1) is one of the BEST exchange rates in the game.
  • IHatePVP wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

What I find myself doing a lot is I figure I can shield for 75 HP and sell 3 covers back for 75 HP so I might as well do it even though I have no use for the covers because I'll still net some extra iso8 not to mention a piece of mind.

Hmm. I view the 75HP 3-hr shield as the cost of getting the Top 5 three cover set(or moreover, the CHANCE to get said covers. 5 players passing you after shielding @ #1 IS possible, if your score is 700, +/- 25-ish).

From that viewpoint, 75HP for (up to) 3 3* covers (or 3 3* & 1 4*, if you hold at #1) is one of the BEST exchange rates in the game.

Phantron's example holds for those of us that don't need the 3* covers given out in a lot of the events.
  • On a side note....

I wonder if they will ever make a change to how the prices are calculated for selling an established character. a fully covered character should sell for more then a 1 cover character.

I have a fully covered lvl2 iron man gathering dust because he is only worth 200 iso to sell currently.