Comic Sell Price Change Reasoning/Discussion

Options

Comments

• I wouldn't. It means I will be disappointed when I get 3*** lol.

This is an hp nerf for f2p players (everyone, but the goal is to hit f2p players and make the hp even more of a $ currency than it is) . That is its goal. Though the buff to iso is a nice way to soften the blow, the goal with the change looks to be pretty clear: its to lower hp intake. Less chance of earning hp in standard packs now, and a big loss of hp for placement in tournements. 175 hp for a top 5 just became 100 basically. Not necessarily unfair, but it is what it is.

Bright side, it will make those standard token draws WAY more profitable in general. If only I had been saving them up! Sigh lol.

I doubt the spidey changes comes in the next 4 days. So I sold the yellow spidey in my
    ache before this change goes live. I recommend others waiting on mags or spidey and Have kept the 3*** to do the same before they lose those 25 hp, which given the constant increase in hp value by decrease in supply is a big deal.

I would much rather spend money on HP than iso so this change is all good with me. I can do a lot more with $20 of HP than $20 of Iso. But that's just me i suppose and I am not really a free to play player since I can rationalize spending money on a game that I play if the value is there.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    A chance of HP from standard tokens and an Iso boost for all those Bullseye/Daken/blue Cap covers I keep getting?

Heck yes!

Being in a 1*->2* transition, dropping HP from 3*/4* sell prices is essentially trivial to me. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I would much rather spend money on HP than iso so this change is all good with me. I can do a lot more with $20 of HP than $20 of Iso. But that's just me i suppose and I am not really a free to play player since I can rationalize spending money on a game that I play if the value is there.

Even as a F2P player just looking at prices out of curiosity, the big difference between dollar-value exchange rate and drop-rate ratio for HP vs. Iso has always struck me as strange. Iso seems overpriced, but I suppose Iso becomes the primary bottleneck at higher levels, where players are much more likely to shell out money for it due to high sunk costs.
  • Heads up, this is live now.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,314 Site Admin
    Options
    And... the patch is Live. So yeah, new sell prices and stuff.

Edit: Darn it, ninja'ed!

Edit 2: I just saw the first person pull an HP out of a pack. icon_e_smile.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    kaganb wrote:
    In regards to the 25 HP from the Standard Token... I'd be pissed if I got 25 HP instead of a 3*.

Instead, what about making the 25 HP an additional possible reward at the 3* percentage. ie. you use a standard token, get a character cover and then have the possibility of getting the 25 HP.

Or you can modify the % to whatever, just make it in addition.
    Well, to be fair, the chances of you having pulled an HP instead of a 3* would be a fraction of a percent. On top of that, you would never even know that it was in place of a 3* since it's not like the reward morphs from one thing to another.

Maybe that was poor use of words since you are correct, it isn't necessarily in place of the 3*. Doesn't change the fact that 25 HP itself isn't really worth much and I'd rather have the iso instead from selling a cover. If you break it down into pure dollars since both currencies can be purchased (As a disclaimer, I'm not a big time spender... $5 total spent when I first started playing and needed cover slots):

200 HP = $2
    800 ISO = $2

25 HP = $0.25
    100 ISO = $0.25

1* cover = 100 ISO
    3* cover = 500 ISO

1* cover = $0.25
    3* cover = $1.25

In essence, the 1* cover reward and the 25 HP reward are worth exactly the same. Now, obviously the overall value would go up if you did it the way I suggested, but it would be a pretty small amount even if the chance was at 2.6%

Also, what about Heroic and special tokens? Are there going to be chances for 25 HP instead of those as well since 3* characters were able to be purchased from there?
  • IceIX
    Options
    kaganb wrote:
    Maybe that was poor use of words since you are correct, it isn't necessarily in place of the 3*. Doesn't change the fact that 25 HP itself isn't really worth much and I'd rather have the iso instead from selling a cover. If you break it down into pure dollars since both currencies can be purchased (As a disclaimer, I'm not a big time spender... $5 total spent when I first started playing and needed cover slots):

<snip calculations>

In essence, the 1* cover reward and the 25 HP reward are worth exactly the same. Now, obviously the overall value would go up if you did it the way I suggested, but it would be a pretty small amount even if the chance was at 2.6%

Also, what about Heroic and special tokens? Are there going to be chances for 25 HP instead of those as well since 3* characters were able to be purchased from there?
    From a pure monetary marketplace value, you're correct. From a time/resource value though, 25 HP is worth a *much* larger amount compared to even 1000 Iso-8. This change raises the overall rate at which HP and Iso-8 is gained for the general gameplay populace.

• I wouldn't. It means I will be disappointed when I get 3*** lol.

This is an hp nerf for f2p players (everyone, but the goal is to hit f2p players and make the hp even more of a $ currency than it is) . That is its goal. Though the buff to iso is a nice way to soften the blow, the goal with the change looks to be pretty clear: its to lower hp intake. Less chance of earning hp in standard packs now, and a big loss of hp for placement in tournements. 175 hp for a top 5 just became 100 basically. Not necessarily unfair, but it is what it is.

Bright side, it will make those standard token draws WAY more profitable in general. If only I had been saving them up! Sigh lol.

I doubt the spidey changes comes in the next 4 days. So I sold the yellow spidey in my
    ache before this change goes live. I recommend others waiting on mags or spidey and Have kept the 3*** to do the same before they lose those 25 hp, which given the constant increase in hp value by decrease in supply is a big deal.

Well, that is kinda the point lol. Ppl are buying the hp because it is the "premium" currency. This change tries to make the premium currency more, well, premium. As I said, its not really unfair, it just changes the dynamic. For pack pulls this is easily a huge buff overall. The drop rate of 3*** is too low for it not to be. It's only as placement rewards that the real effect of the nerf occurs. Ppl that still need covers won't notice, but the hp will be noticeable in a month or two when instead of coming out of tournements with a net +75 for placement and a top 45, you are coming out with +50 (more for higher placement of course). Even then, more of the goal is to make it so you are coming out with -25 hp instead of +0 (8 hr shield) in that same scenario. It effectively gives me little reason to push beyond top 45 in a tourney with a maxed cover 3***.

Also, its not really "can rationalize" but "decide to rationalize.". I could easily say "next time I drop a Benjamin for wine at a dinner establishment, I will get a nice round of drafts for the 2-3 ppl I am with instead. $60 saved and now I spend that here. Boom rationalized. I don't want to rationalize like that because I hate the concept of freemium and I find the games more fun if I don't have, or at least choose not to, hit the pay2advance button at all. That's just my competetive nature I guess. Also, partly because I could probably rationalize it enough to max all the covers in 10 min with hp purchases, and there is no way I would stay if my ONLY goal was iso grinding with all the cover rewards being bought. That's just me though.

The biggest nerf, and where it will annoy the most probably since it effects lower players too now, is lightning rounds. You can rationalize a 25 -50 hp expenditure to get a token or two if you know you get a 3*** you need or the hp back. Can you do it now as easily when that 50 hp is lost for good? This on it own will take hp out of the economy. Dont' get me wrong, I don't think its unfair or anything, its actual smart...way smarter than some of the admittedly boneheaded ways they launched nerfs in the last few months. It helps push iso more towards a free currency and hp more towards a pay currency. That isn't necessarily bad, especially for business, but it is bad for new players if hp is very necessary to proceed. With the state of the game, I shed no tears for low level players atm though lol.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    So will the second PVP hero point progression reward go back up to 100 now?

The extra ISO is neat, but we've been slowly losing out on guaranteed hero points over timr
  • IceIX
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:

The extra ISO is neat, but we've been slowly losing out on guaranteed hero points over timr
    The general outflow of HP at the upper levels is going to get close attention as a result of this change. If it turns out to be too low we can always turn knobs somewhere to balance it.
  • Kelbris
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:

The general outflow of HP at the upper levels is going to get close attention as a result of this change. If it turns out to be too low we can always turn knobs somewhere to balance it.

If you're able to say, what was the reason for reducing that reward in the first place?
  • IceIX
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:
    If you're able to say, what was the reason for reducing that reward in the first place?
    To put it simply (quite a few factors went into the change), too much outflow to too large a group of players given the meta at the time. Although with Shields, some Boosts going to Hero Points, etc, that outflow is lower than it was before.
  • Kelbris
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:
    To put it simply (quite a few factors went into the change), too much outflow to too large a group of players given the meta at the time. Although with Shields, some Boosts going to Hero Points, etc, that outflow is lower than it was before.

That's what I figured. I do miss the two event tokens, though. Gives me my gambling fix so I don't act like a doofus during Hold'em.

Friggin' donkeys betting all the time.
  • Real like the changes icon_e_smile.gif keep up the good work!
  • Is it possible for you guys to change the cover art?
  • IceIX
    Options
    Unity wrote:
    Is it possible for you guys to change the cover art?
    What cover art? The title screen? One of the characters? Unsure of what you mean here.
  • Wonder if this will affect shield use.. I know If i didn't need that many covers I would calculate the cost of the covers I would win into it.
  • Good change. Rewards should go to players who need them. A generous readjustment, can always use more iso!

Edit: changed poor wording
  • Kelbris wrote:

Do people still shoot for 1000+? I'd rather see reduction to 900pt rather than an increase to 100HP.
  • IceIX wrote:
    From a pure monetary marketplace value, you're correct. From a time/resource value though, 25 HP is worth a *much* larger amount compared to even 1000 Iso-8. This change raises the overall rate at which HP and Iso-8 is gained for the general gameplay populace.

Slightly off topic, but playing devils advocate here. Since you say that 25 HP is much more valuable than 100 ISO in terms of time/effort (according to the calculated percentages earlier in the thread it is actually ~30x more valuable), would it not make sense to increase the amount of ISO you get from the marketplace by 30x? So for $2, you get 24000 ISO instead of 800? That ISO amount seems a bit high imo, but that is pretty much what you are saying.

If I make $20/hour, that hour of time/effort is worth 2900 HP or 8800 ISO. Doesn't seem like buying ISO is really worth it at all.
  • kaganb wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Slightly off topic, but playing devils advocate here. Since you say that 25 HP is much more valuable than 100 ISO in terms of time/effort (according to the calculated percentages earlier in the thread it is actually ~30x more valuable), would it not make sense to increase the amount of ISO you get from the marketplace by 30x? So for $2, you get 24000 ISO instead of 800? That ISO amount seems a bit high imo, but that is pretty much what you are saying.

If I make $20/hour, that hour of time/effort is worth 2900 HP or 8800 ISO. Doesn't seem like buying ISO is really worth it at all.

No, its not even, and the iso is a raw deal. That said...do you really want iso, the xp, to be easily bought? Lvl 141 all day? I sure don't. So keep the iso a bad deal plz lol.