Beginner Mistakes

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
Now that we're all experienced pros at mpq, it's time to look back and laugh at the silly beginner mistakes we used to make (and still sometimes make). I'll get the ball rolling:

* Choosing the wrong character's power (ex: dd-red instead of cyc-red. No longer a killing blow.. just a trap tile)
* Choosing the wrong character (DD instead of Cyc.. they look similar! Or clicking on the wrong version of the character you want when you're in a rush, such as xfw instead of oml)
* Finishing a tough battle with lots of expensive boosts, then immediately doing a very easy battle... still using the boosts that you no longer need
* Going for a match-five, but accidentally matching the wrong set of tiles, missing out on your opportunity
* Doing a match that sets your opponent up for a massive cascade. This is when that cascade is visible, and you could've avoided it if you had paid more attention to the board.
* Saving a power for later instead of killing off a character. That character then fires off massive powers that would've been avoided if you had killed it the previous turn.

Now, your turn!!!

Comments

• Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I used to sell (oh, 820 days ago) any characters I didn't like in the comic, like Loki and Hood. I could have covered them twice over before I realised that it wasn't a game where I could only have the few guys I liked - PvE put pay to that, and more roster slots were puchased...
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    1) Putting any iso into 1* characters other than Juggernaut

2) Not joining an alliance, even a bad one.

3) Not trying new combinations of characters, just because I was familiar with ones that "worked."

4) Buying Iso. (guilty of this exactly once - NEVER AGAIN!)

5) Buying standard tokens with #4 (THE SHAME)
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:

There was a period where I had leveled all my 2*s and 3*s, and the only way I could progress was to win more 3*s, but I couldn't get to 800 in pvp, so I bought tons of standard tokens to try to win more 3*s. It was definitely a waste, but I probably only spent about 50,000 ISO total doing it, so just a drop in the bucket, compared to the amount I've spent leveling and champing so many characters.
  • I think in the tutorial it tells you you can spend HP to level up a 1* character.....so I did.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buying token packs over roster slots...

Maxing Yelena and 1* Hawkeye... which were sold very soon after..
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    * Finishing a tough battle with lots of expensive boosts, then immediately doing a very easy battle... still using the boosts that you no longer need

I still do this on the regular.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

This is my reaction every time I accidentally do this:

296346d1401918074-doh-day-whats-yours-homersimpson.png
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    I think I made 2 significant mistakes along with all the normal little ones.

one mistake I made was sticking with my starter alliance too long. I was regularly hitting t100/t50 in pves and could have moved into a t100 pve alliance, which would have sped up my 3* transition before I started hitting 800/1000 in pvp and stepped up to a t100 pvp alliance.

the other, and I think the biggest issue now, is overusing boosts. early on, I'd boost nearly everything with iso boosts. I only realized this within the last month or so and I went back and estimated I probably wasted at least 500K iso on boosted that were mostly unnecessary - could easily be even more. now I only boost my pvp push and my pve grind (oh, and 4* ddq battles) - but still try and minimize the number. most everything else goes unboosted.

while those 2 were the biggest progression mistakes, one other hindsight mistake I made was my splurge on hp right before the hp nerf hit. I whaled iceman and 4cyke and bought a rulk purple and an xpool purple. ice and cyke were at 131 and 94 at the time. in the time that it has taken me to level ice and cyke, the other covers have come in, and additional covers for ice and cyke have as well. I shouldn't have taken ice/cyke to 13/13 and should not have put 1 of the 2 covers I put on rulk. I didn't realize the time it would take to level them and the covers that would be coming in during that time. that was more of a waste of money than hindrance to gameplay or progress.

edit: not as much of a beginner mistake, but a minor mistake that irked me. I'm rarely high enough early enough to bake much. in heavy metal I was able to bake late. I hate using 144 max champed 2s, so I was going back and forth with my pair deciding on what I would use. I settled on jugs and 120 vision. loaner makes red/blue. vision can use effectively. board shake with green. good plan. FIGHT. ****, I didn't make sure I had the loaner im40. so I baked with my 120 im40 that was boosted to the 230s. sry about that. nothing I could do by that point except finish the matches and get my shield back up.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    Sold all of my Doom and Hood covers from the SHIELD reinforcements. I don't remember who I was saving in their stead, but I'm pretty sure it was someone not worth keeping.

Also, week 1 I spent HP on a heroic token. Drew a Moonstone. Probably could've kept those Hood and Doom covers.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Jarvind wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

yep. still waiting for the update that helps us with this.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    1. Being in a hurry to start a match. 3 match and there sits a straight 5 match not even the AI can miss.
    2. Just did it again this morning. Don't swap to character you want to heal, and heal someone for a whopping 500 points. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Easy

Downloading MPQ

icon_razz.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doc L wrote:
    I used to sell (oh, 820 days ago) any characters I didn't like in the comic, like Loki and Hood. I could have covered them twice over before I realised that it wasn't a game where I could only have the few guys I liked - PvE put pay to that, and more roster slots were puchased...
    I did this *so* many times. Part of the reason I only just recently fully covered Cage.

When I was in 2* land, I never even rostered Ares, Storm or Thor because I didn't "like" them. Same thing for Doom, once I started building my 3* roster. I sold so many covers because I just didn't want to play him.
  • Is it bad that I'm on day 500+ and I still do everything the OP posted?

I'll add not realizing that healthpacks regenerate. Stocked 60 or 70 of those bad boys before I realized.

Also grinding 1 point nodes in my first ever pve not realizing that they regenerated points if I waited icon_e_confused.gif
  • Bossblack
    Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
    Putting hard earned money into this game, yet I continue to have the urge to do so. Need self control.
  • ah yes i do all of this!!!!
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    What's worse is that I have done the whole of OP's list in the last 2 days!

Some people never learn!
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I use MNMagneto, CStorm, and OBW for all the 2* DDQ nodes (unless they're locked out). I will still occasionally fire Iron Hammer instead of Wind Storm. Which is literally never what you want to do.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    pheregas wrote:

There was a period where I had leveled all my 2*s and 3*s, and the only way I could progress was to win more 3*s, but I couldn't get to 800 in pvp, so I bought tons of standard tokens to try to win more 3*s. It was definitely a waste, but I probably only spent about 50,000 ISO total doing it, so just a drop in the bucket, compared to the amount I've spent leveling and champing so many characters.

I have done this, too. ...although probably to a much higher tune than 50k iso... icon_e_sad.gif
    (to be fair, it did actually speed up my transition to 3*, as my placement was never good enough for 3* awards...but still)
    Druss wrote:
    What's worse is that I have done the whole of OP's list in the last 2 days!

Some people never learn!

Yeah, I did almost everything on that list in my final push on the Heavy Metal PVP alone. icon_lol.gif
  • royalflush95
    royalflush95 Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    I hope I'm not the only one who didn't know that you can't have more than 30 AP in a color.