Patch Notes - R94 (02/16/16)

Options

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I don't use over half of my 3* characters in competitive versus, your point is moot. In every tier there are go to characters, bench warmers and those ready to be traded to the lower leagues.

You say this, and yet this nerf did in fact help the "bench warmers".

So you think it is perfectly fine for me to have had four 4*s maxed and yet i'm in the same position of power as someone who has 0 4*s? This is the problem with the transition, 3*s are mad because they have no 4*s, then when they get them they realize they aren't any better off unless they got the good ones. Remember, 4*s take a lot longer than 3*s to obtain and level too.

The point that Pylgrim and myself were initially trying to make is that the gap between 2* and 3* got smaller as did the gap between 4* and 5* when at max level, however unless you have max level and max champion the gap between 3* and 4* has gotten bigger. Yet for some reason this change was disguised and passed off as a bug yet when asked for confirmation if it was intended all we are met with is silence. I feel my discussion with you is headed in nothing but circles so I shall wish you a good day and graciously decline to respond any further.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    So here you are, with your 4* Thoress completed, and what do you get? Nothing, because you will use most of your 3*s buffed instead.

This remark here makes it sound as though you should be agreeing with us. If your maxed 4*s are unfortunately not the top 4*s and you find yourself still having to use your buffed 3*s in order to keep advancing, and hopefully some day max the top 4*s... shouldn't you be bothered that the fact that it is now harder for you due nerfed buffed 3*s? It seems to me that you are allowing petty resent at the fact that things are not like you'd expect trump practical objectivity.

Moreover, the gap between you with maxed, weak 4*s and those with maxed behemots like HB, JG or Iceman is NOT a consequence of the power of the 3*s, nor nerfing them solves anything for you. The problem lies in both the impact of luck in transition at higher levels (an issue I've decried in the past several times and you've vehemently agreed) and the gap in power between good and bad 4*s. If either problem didn't exist, you'd surely be doing great with your small team of maxed 4*s.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I don't use over half of my 3* characters in competitive versus, your point is moot. In every tier there are go to characters, bench warmers and those ready to be traded to the lower leagues.

You say this, and yet this nerf did in fact help the "bench warmers".

So you think it is perfectly fine for me to have had four 4*s maxed and yet i'm in the same position of power as someone who has 0 4*s? This is the problem with the transition, 3*s are mad because they have no 4*s, then when they get them they realize they aren't any better off unless they got the good ones. Remember, 4*s take a lot longer than 3*s to obtain and level too.

The point that Pylgrim and myself were initially trying to make is that the gap between 2* and 3* got smaller as did the gap between 4* and 5* when at max level, however unless you have max level and max champion the gap between 3* and 4* has gotten bigger. Yet for some reason this change was disguised and passed off as a bug yet when asked for confirmation if it was intended all we are met with is silence. I feel my discussion with you is headed in nothing but circles so I shall wish you a good day and graciously decline to respond any further.

I disagree, I think the gap between 4* and 5* is the same now as 3* and 4*. The gap between 4* and 5* before the changes was absolutely ridiculous. To challenge 5*s you still have to have a decently championed 4*, and if you know how hard it is to obtain covers to finish a 4*, championing is going to take forever.

Again, I don't agree with how they implemented it, but I do think whether it was a good or bad change is up for discussion though. When the game gets balanced there are those who gain and those who lose. It isn't true that everyone lost out, though I will agree that there are a lot more 3* players than 4*
    transitioners, and I imagine all of them won't be happy with the change.
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    So here you are, with your 4* Thoress completed, and what do you get? Nothing, because you will use most of your 3*s buffed instead.

This remark here makes it sound as though you should be agreeing with us. If your maxed 4*s are unfortunately not the top 4*s and you find yourself still having to use your buffed 3*s in order to keep advancing, and hopefully some day max the top 4*s... shouldn't you be bothered that the fact that it is now harder for you due nerfed buffed 3*s? It seems to me that you are allowing petty resent at the fact that things are not like you'd expect trump practical objectivity.

The nerf to 3*s did in fact help this though. Thoress is more viable now, especially when buffed. It to me makes more sense to somehow make 4*s stronger so that when you get them you can use them versus forcing players to continue to use their 3* roster over your shiny new 4*s.

Moreover, the gap between you with maxed, weak 4*s and those with maxed behemots like HB, JG or Iceman is NOT a consequence of the power of the 3*s, nor nerfing them solves anything for you. The problem lies in both the impact of luck in transition at higher levels (an issue I've decried in the past several times and you've vehemently agreed) and the gap in power between good and bad 4*s. If either problem didn't exist, you'd surely be doing great with your small team of maxed 4*s.

Yes, I can't compete with Hulkbuster/Jeans or Icemans, but at least I can overpower 3* rosters now. Ill take it.

I think there was 2 ways to solve this problem, they could rework all the weak 4*s so they are in-line with the top tier, or they could do what they did, and nerf 3*s. I would have rather them buff weak 4*s, but I think the latter was a much easier solution for them. Either would have ended in 3*s dropping in power in relation to 4*s however.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Yes, I can't compete with Hulkbuster/Jeans or Icemans, but at least I can overpower 3* rosters now. Ill take it.

I think there was 2 ways to solve this problem, they could rework all the weak 4*s so they are in-line with the top tier, or they could do what they did, and nerf 3*s. I would have rather them buff weak 4*s, but I think the latter was a much easier solution for them. Either would have ended in 3*s dropping in power in relation to 4*s however.

What team are you using that you had trouble with 3*s pre-nerf? I see maxed, buffed 3*s all the way from 100 to 700 points, (at which point I'll start seeing maxed, buffed 4*s) and I breeze through with my own 3* teams. And Thoress may not be top 5 4*, but she's no pushover either. I'd gladly take her into a fight instead of Magneto or Cap America which are the best 3*s filling in those colours. She certainly doesn't need 3*s to be weaker in order to own them.
  • _Ryu_
    _Ryu_ Posts: 149
    Options
    wired stuff here, lets agree that we need information about this Champion/nerf/buff/bug/intended 3* change of power. The badest thing about it is... We dont know what we can expect furthermore! We need clarification because its never a good thing to let one (or in this case, us all) in the dark, that maks me feel unpleasant.
  • _Ryu_ wrote:
    wired stuff here, lets agree that we need information about this Champion/nerf/buff/bug/intended 3* change of power. The badest thing about it is... We dont know what we can expect furthermore! We need clarification because its never a good thing to let one (or in this case, us all) in the dark, that maks me feel unpleasant.

If it IS intended as a nerf to Level 167-200 ish 3*s and 2*s, is there anything they could say that you wouldn't want to dissect and argue and dismantle?

I mean I can understand not saying that because any sort of justification they'd use would be turned into a meme about how bad they are again or whatever.
  • _Ryu_
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    _Ryu_ wrote:

If it IS intended as a nerf to Level 167-200 ish 3*s and 2*s, is there anything they could say that you wouldn't want to dissect and argue and dismantle?

I mean I can understand not saying that because any sort of justification they'd use would be turned into a meme about how bad they are again or whatever.

Totally disagree on that, if you do a decision, you have to stand for it however what the outcome is. Everything else is immature, that can tell everyone who has responsability in work, family, life or even as a pet owner. You cant do something that influences other and not give a explantion for it.

Most people can live with bad situations, if they know the backround behind it, everthing else is unfair. BTW the same is here, i could live with my power reduced roster if i only know why it is reduced and if it will be repaired or not, that simple!
  • Dauthi
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

What team are you using that you had trouble with 3*s pre-nerf? I see maxed, buffed 3*s all the way from 100 to 700 points, (at which point I'll start seeing maxed, buffed 4*s) and I breeze through with my own 3* teams. And Thoress may not be top 5 4*, but she's no pushover either. I'd gladly take her into a fight instead of Magneto or Cap America which are the best 3*s filling in those colours. She certainly doesn't need 3*s to be weaker in order to own them.

That is a great example actually. If Cap, Magneto, Cyclops or anyone with a mix of her colors was buffed, they were by far better than her. She is pretty bad; her abilities cost too much so they take too long to get rolling, and her charge tiles are a double edged sword. They are more likely to help you, but often the AI will match them as well.

Just as a comparison post nerf no buffs, 4* Thor's red and 3* Cyclops red cost the same, and Cyclops still does more damage if there are no charge tiles out and cyclops gets shake-up. Then you have to throw in the fact that Cyclops is his own battery while she painstakingly has to grind up her AP for her abilities, and that her yellow ability is terrible while cyclops has an amazing black. We could compare the other two also, but it is the same situation. She isn't really mid tier, more like bottom 5 though. I'm not sure if I would use her except when she's buffed still.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:

Just as a comparison post nerf no buffs, 4* Thor's red and 3* Cyclops red cost the same, and Cyclops still does more damage if there are no charge tiles out and cyclops gets shake-up. Then you have to throw in the fact that Cyclops is his own battery while she painstakingly has to grind up her AP for her abilities, and that her yellow ability is terrible while cyclops has an amazing black. We could compare the other two also, but it is the same situation. She isn't really mid tier, more like bottom 5 though. I'm not sure if I would use her except when she's buffed still.

Bottom 5? Surely you exaggerate. With Mr F, Chulk, IW, Elektra, Starlord around, she cannot be at bottom 5.

3* Cyclops is widely acknowledged as one of the best 3*. Top 5 material. So I think it is not a fair comparison

Thoress, while not top 5 material for 4*, is definitely in top 10. She is slow, yes, but when she gets going she wins games for you. She is one my of my go-to team for overscaled pve teams; as long as you can get the first 9 blue ap she will finish the battle for you quickly.
  • Dauthi
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

Bottom 5? Surely you exaggerate. With Mr F, Chulk, IW, Elektra, Starlord around, she cannot be at bottom 5.

3* Cyclops is widely acknowledged as one of the best 3*. Top 5 material. So I think it is not a fair comparison

Thoress, while not top 5 material for 4*, is definitely in top 10. She is slow, yes, but when she gets going she wins games for you. She is one my of my go-to team for overscaled pve teams; as long as you can get the first 9 blue ap she will finish the battle for you quickly.

Sure, it's debateable, but the point was that she is not a good character generally. I feel like it takes one combo of blue/red to get her going, not just one blue. After the initial combo, if you can gather most of the charge tiles, yeah she can start rolling. Her problem is she potentially benefits the other team, making 2 of her abilities have possible negative effects. I don't feel her power is where it should be if she can benefit the other team, especially looking at all the abilities that benefit the other team or harm your team.
  • atomzed
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Sure, it's debateable, but the point was that she is not a good character generally. I feel like it takes one combo of blue/red to get her going, not just one blue. After the initial combo, if you can gather most of the charge tiles, yeah she can start rolling. Her problem is she potentially benefits the other team, making 2 of her abilities have possible negative effects. I don't feel her power is where it should be if she can benefit the other team, especially looking at all the abilities that benefit the other team or harm your team.

Debatable that she is bottom 5? Definitely not. I think it's arguable that she is mid tier, but she is definitely not bottom tier.

Her core mechanics are fine, but after the nerf to the number of charge tiles for blue she becomes slower to start . When she starts going however, she moves fast.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i find it weird they unpinned this before it activated.
  • _Ryu_
    Options
    i find it weird they unpinned this before it activated.

Weird or suspicious.... icon_e_wink.gif
  • Dauthi
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

Debatable that she is bottom 5? Definitely not. I think it's arguable that she is mid tier, but she is definitely not bottom tier.

Her core mechanics are fine, but after the nerf to the number of charge tiles for blue she becomes slower to start . When she starts going however, she moves fast.

What about the fact that she can benefit the other team? That is my problem with her, and what makes her debateable. I feel like D3 doesn't know how to tally charge tiles. When an ability is left to chance, it should be stronger than a typical one. It's completely off-topic, but who are the bottom 5 to you, and where would she stand above them?

Back on topic, regardless of being top 10 or top 5, she still became more relevant in MPQ thanks to the nerf to 3*s. Mid-tier 4*s are a prime example of who got a bump.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    4-star Thor is still a pretty good character, but her main problem and the reason she's underused in PvP is that there is no good complementary character for her. With Hulkbuster, you can pair him up with Jean for almost-rainbow coverage, or Iron Fist for extremely fast black gathering to red conversion.

With Thor on the other hand, there isn't any character that works well with her. The only other charged tile generator (apart from Surfer anyway) is Ragnarok, and his charged tile generation power clashes in colour with Thor, not to mention that he sucks. There isn't really a good red or blue generator that plays well with her either. The best red generators are 3-star Cyclops and 4-star Hulkbuster, but those characters have such good red powers anyway that there is no point to use Thor as a red outlet. The only decent blue generator is Bobby, but again his blue is good enough that he doesn't need an outlet either. The only other good blue generator is 2-star Magneto, but obviously no one is gonna use him in PvP at the 4-star level.

Make a new 3- or 4-star character that can effectively generate charged tiles on other colours that are not red and blue, or a character that generate red or blue and has good colour complements with Thor, and you're see her used a lot more often.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4-star Thor is still a pretty good character, but her main problem and the reason she's underused in PvP is that there is no good complementary character for her. With Hulkbuster, you can pair him up with Jean for almost-rainbow coverage, or Iron Fist for extremely fast black gathering to red conversion.

With Thor on the other hand, there isn't any character that works well with her. The only other charged tile generator (apart from Surfer anyway) is Ragnarok, and his charged tile generation power clashes in colour with Thor, not to mention that he sucks. There isn't really a good red or blue generator that plays well with her either. The best red generators are 3-star Cyclops and 4-star Hulkbuster, but those characters have such good red powers anyway that there is no point to use Thor as a red outlet. The only decent blue generator is Bobby, but again his blue is good enough that he doesn't need an outlet either. The only other good blue generator is 2-star Magneto, but obviously no one is gonna use him in PvP at the 4-star level.

Make a new 3- or 4-star character that can effectively generate charged tiles on other colours that are not red and blue, or a character that generate red or blue and has good colour complements with Thor, and you're see her used a lot more often.
    Thor works extremely well with Loki and Mohawk Storm as those two can help getting the AP from the charged tiles. Once they get going they have almost infinite turns.
    You really need all three to make it really effective, so it's mostly a combo for PvE and Divine Champions though.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Back on topic, regardless of being top 10 or top 5, she still became more relevant in MPQ thanks to the nerf to 3*s. Mid-tier 4*s are a prime example of who got a bump.

Do you realise that you are basically saying "Because I only have mediocre 4*s maxed but I feel entitled to use them instead of buffed 3*s for the principle of the matter, I am glad that a whole tier of people got screwed over, just so I can have an easier time?"
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4-star Thor is still a pretty good character, but her main problem and the reason she's underused in PvP is that there is no good complementary character for her.

IM40 works, but until his buff, you are better off leaving him at 5/5/2, which meant you could only get him to 153. Great on offense, poor on defense. There'd be times I'd use them if I wanted to only play 1 match that I was overmatched in, but wanted the points.

I'd say she is definitely in the Top 10 of 4*. If you had to judge the characters by themselves, probably not Top 10, but this game is 3 vs 3, so I take that into consideration. She can punch way above her weight class and I use her all the time in PVE in the KingpIM4th0r combo.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    It's completely off-topic, but who are the bottom 5 to you, and where would she stand above them?

Are you selectively reading or just forgetting what you've read. Scroll up, you've already quoted the answer.
    Dauthi wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    Sure, it's debateable, but the point was that she is not a good character generally....
  • atomzed
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:

What about the fact that she can benefit the other team? That is my problem with her, and what makes her debateable. I feel like D3 doesn't know how to tally charge tiles. When an ability is left to chance, it should be stronger than a typical one. It's completely off-topic, but who are the bottom 5 to you, and where would she stand above them?

I agree that charge tiles are a double edged sword. But if you can play around it, you can maximise it to your advantage. Much like how Carnage attack tiles can be mitigated with abilities like JG purple or Oct blue.

For Thora, one trick is to use board shakers to tap those charge tiles. Quebecer mentioned loki and Mohawk storm. Both are great part of the team.

Amother way is to utilise the stun to its full effect. On non buffed enemies, her Power surge-Smite can be used to eliminate one hero. The power surge already stun one enemy, so that leaves one more to go. One team I use is Thora-sw-cage for survival nodes. You have 3 stuns (thorax blue and sw purple and cage black) and 2 nuke (cage yellow and thora red). I often able to kill 1, stun 2, leaving me 3 free turns to acquire all those charge tiles. In survival nodes, it is a very good team, and it is anchor around thora.

My bottom 5?in no particular order, Chulk, Devil dino, Starlord, Elektra, IW. They do have their niche uses, but all the ranking have shown them to be consistently the bottom tier.

Thora, in my view is top 10 material. This is debatable, cos I know people who don't find her good. But to claim that she is bottom 5? That is insane.