Iron Man (Model 40) Updates Coming Soon

Options

Comments

• ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    I dont get all the fuss about his blueflag.png With the posibility of generated 12 blue in a single run, the cost of the blue is balanced, you will only be missing 4 blue, that mean a two blue matches or a single 4 blue match, the draining effect is just a way to balance his ability to generated that ridulous amount of AP
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seriously, who would have thought we would ever have a discussion about IM40 being OP... i mean.. i am not sure if i am awake!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ArcanaMoon wrote:
    I dont get all the fuss about his blueflag.png With the posibility of generated 12 blue in a single run, the cost of the blue is balanced, you will only be missing 4 blue, that mean a two blue matches or a single 4 blue match, the draining effect is just a way to balance his ability to generated that ridulous amount of AP

Yeah that is probably true, the same way GSBW green costs 19, just because she gas purple to generate a ton of green. Then again, you just need to bring another red/blue user like Cap or 4hor and then you don't have any drawbacks.

This IM has not only made Cap the best 3, it has probably propulsed 4hor to the top7!!! IM Battery, then 4hor blue, then charged tiles and stun, then more batteries, then more charged tiles and another stun, then some reds just to finish everybody icon_razz.gif. Far better than LCap because they both feed each other! 4hor charging yellow so you can cast battery with maybe even just one yellow match!

I may even champion 4hor and IM before RHulk or Cyclops !!!

PS: Well, 4hor, IM40, Rhulk is a very good team, really really good, so maybe I will put some iso into Rhulk too icon_razz.gif

PS: And now they are reworking him, they could also change the art/name for the new armor/model, this way it would be easier to explain the change from totally lame to really awesome icon_razz.gif

invincible_iron_man_1_cover.jpg
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    ArcanaMoon wrote:

Yeah that is probably true, the same way GSBW green costs 19, just because she gas purple to generate a ton of green. Then again, you just need to bring another red/blue user like Cap or 4hor and then you don't have any drawbacks.

This IM has not only made Cap the best 3, it has probably propulsed 4hor to the top7!!! IM Battery, then 4hor blue, then charged tiles and stun, then more batteries, then more charged tiles and another stun, then some reds just to finish everybody icon_razz.gif. Far better than LCap because they both feed each other! 4hor charging yellow so you can cast battery with maybe even just one yellow match!

I may even champion 4hor and IM before RHulk or Cyclops !!!

PS: Well, 4hor, IM40, Rhulk is a very good team, really really good, so maybe I will put some iso into Rhulk too icon_razz.gif

PS: And now they are reworking him, they could also change the art/name for the new armor/model, this way it would be easier to explain the change from totally lame to really awesome icon_razz.gif

invincible_iron_man_1_cover.jpg

Ummmmm....welcome to the party? Been using 552 im40/4or to beat c mags/hood TaT node for over a year. Im40/l cap much longer than that, especially for pertinent heroics, as well as tougher wave nodes.

Also, better board shake with blue might be good. Tough to tell.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    so whats the probability all that ap generation is just a bit too OP and will get nerfed again?
    i started playing a year ago, have there ever been such drastic buffs before?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rkd80 wrote:
    He is still a 3*, why the fuss?

Not everyone playing the game has a maxed 4* roster. In the time I've been playing, there's been 1 new 1*, and no 2*. After 1.5 years and a not-insignificant cash investment, I'm still in the 3-4* transition. Most of my alliance is in the same boat. Fixing a 3* helps the lower tier - a transitioning 2* team that happens to draw IM40 early on now has a viable character to build. A 3-4* transitioner now has another option for a relatively rare color set that's actually useful.

I champ'ed him before I knew about this, mainly because I had a glut of IM40 covers and had no guaranteed venue to Hulkbuster. I'm excited for this change. I'll re-spec as soon as the update hits, and I intend to use him.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    colwag wrote:

Yeah, the "good" thing is that IM40 can be screwed up by the AI in a few different ways.

I may have convinced myself he's pretty dangerous defensively, too.

IM40's other powers are way too expensive to consider as a viable threat. Yellow is the only way he's useful on defense, but that's one powerful defense. The AP boost he provides could be used by a number of teamup options, almost all of which would override the AI on firing his other powers unless you purposely leave them out.

It's virtually inconceivable that you eliminate him before he acquires 6 yellow. Once he hits that, the CD tiles become a serious threat that can fire any low-cost power. The player is then forced to choose - do you devote suboptimal matches to eliminate the CDs, or do you let them go off and hope your matches play out as planned? The latter rarely works out well. Forcing bad choices on a player who can't make use of them is an excellent defensive tactic, and IM40's new power suite does it very well (provided the defending player pairs him with characters who benefit from the battery).
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Just make sure not to use him with Captain Falcon. Reducing the CD on one tile will cause him to stun and freeze the other CDs.

Of course, while stunned, you can continue to reduce the CDs and stun IM40.

There's got to be a Civil War meme there somewhere...
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ammenell wrote:
    so whats the probability all that ap generation is just a bit too OP and will get nerfed again?

Lots. Loki, Ragnorak, Classic Magneto, X-Force Wolverine (twice), Spiderman, Original Black Widow and Thor Goddess of Thunder all spring to mind

Oh wait you said buffs? No never buffs!

I'm still amazed that IM40 now has a viable use that rewards the player for max covering him. Really job well done by the development team.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ammenell wrote:

X-Force Wolverine went from being a piece of garbage to the best character in the game. I don't think anybody else has ever been buffed to this degree.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It may as well say drain 0 yellow because you are going to be firing this the minute you hit 6 yellow.

The 2 turn stun is really 1, since he's stunned 2 at the minute of resolve. The next turn it's 1.

If there isn't another red user, you are more likely to be facing down a huge smack of red the next time he's online.

I still think his blue needs to come down a tad in AP cost, but since he can self charge, it's probably fine at 16.

I can say though that this is at least tied if not "the" best yellow skill in the game. The other being Venom's yellow, because that one is awesome.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ammenell wrote:

X-Force Wolverine went from being a piece of garbage to the best character in the game. I don't think anybody else has ever been buffed to this degree.
    i have no useable xwf, thus no experience with him... but wasnt that the other way, nerfed from op to good because he was to strong?

did they buff him again or did i just get that wrong?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His original form and buffed form are here:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=552

After his buff, he ruled the seven seas with 4Thor by his side. Then they decided to nerf him to his current power set:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32244
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    It may as well say drain 0 yellow because you are going to be firing this the minute you hit 6 yellow.

The 2 turn stun is really 1, since he's stunned 2 at the minute of resolve. The next turn it's 1.

If there isn't another red user, you are more likely to be facing down a huge smack of red the next time he's online.

I still think his blue needs to come down a tad in AP cost, but since he can self charge, it's probably fine at 16.

I can say though that this is at least tied if not "the" best yellow skill in the game. The other being Venom's yellow, because that one is awesome.

Eh, I wouldn't say "Use Yellow ASAP" because if you do and there's a yellow match ready on the board you can bet your trousers two of your CDs are going to be in that match.

A few times I've had a hard time clearing out those extra yellow matches so I had 12 AP ready when it seemed safe.

Doublecasting recharge, when each one only gave 3 Red, felt so nice.

Doublecasting this Mega Recharge, though? Oooooh nelly that's a ride.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So how long before his yellow power is nerfed? My money is on R99 update.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:

Well, Iron Fist hasn't been nerfed yet, so I don't think it's coming anytime soon.

Like, worst case scenario I can imagine is "Iceman" becomes the new "Fistbuster" and nobody has THAT good of synergy with IM40.

Also, we need to come up with other good combo names.

IM40 + Goddess Thor = 40hor? (I loved the 4hor nickname for her but that one is trickier to pronounce)

IM40 + LCap = Stony (From all that quality Steve Rodgers/Tony Stark slash, of course)
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    Warbringa wrote:

Well, Iron Fist hasn't been nerfed yet, so I don't think it's coming anytime soon.

Like, worst case scenario I can imagine is "Iceman" becomes the new "Fistbuster" and nobody has THAT good of synergy with IM40.

Difference though is that IF only boosts one color of AP. Iron Man can in theory boost multiple colors for way more powers than IF. Now IF is a better character overall, but IM40's yellow may end up being a devastating battery for giving AP to multiple powers so fast. The only thing that could hold it back is the randomness of countdown tiles so that may make him not as good as it initially appears.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options

And then back down to middle of the pack.
  • Warbringa wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    Warbringa wrote:

Difference though is that IF only boosts one color of AP. Iron Man can in theory boost multiple colors for way more powers than IF. Now IF is a better character overall, but IM40's yellow may end up being a devastating battery for giving AP to multiple powers so fast. The only thing that could hold it back is the randomness of countdown tiles so that may make him not as good as it initially appears.

Yeah, but IF's "Better Character Overall"ness kinda feels like he'd be needing of the nerf before IM40's massively rad yellow.

Stony ain't going to be anywhere near as effective or quick as Fistbuster, with how perfectly Fist's attack tile works with HB's Overdrive and all. And if it's not as effective as the Best 3*'s Best Combination, then why nerd IM40 before Iron Fist?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    Options
    pretty sure we have the unquestioned best TU in the game here. I know GR can be a lifesaver and the 1*s are useful and return quickly, but the goal is to avoid damage and this could make a match go awful quick if you can manage 2 TU matches to start.

I'd hate to see this tu in a crucial pvp match - this is way worse than rulk purple, unless you're playing ice vs ice.

edit: ok colwag below, thx. just had a omg moment with that one. makes sense.