MPQ At Comic Book Resources: Spider-Gwen Revealed

Options

Comments

• Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yay...another one...so thrilled. I mean, who needs one of the other 20,000 Marvel characters when you can have a 6th Spider-Man-type character?
  • Mercurywolf
    Options
    Northstar is an openly gay Marvel character that could be added. He's a Speedster like Quicksilver.
  • Azoic wrote:
    Yay...another one...so thrilled. I mean, who needs one of the other 20,000 Marvel characters when you can have a 6th Spider-Man-type character?

With the way Marvel treats it's Spiders, saying "Who needs another Spider" is like saying "Who needs another Avenger"

(Gosh darnit, Web Warriors)
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It would have been nice to have some spidey villains but Gwen is different enough to me. To me Gwen, Miles and Carnage are separate characters with albeit similar skillsets. The guys with duplicates are Peter and Venom. (Venom has different people underneath the symbiote but that hardly counts. And it sucks that Parkers versions are all mediocre.

I guess it's different for people with knowledge about the comics and those who just play.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not too long ago, there was an in-game link to the latest poll regarding wanted new characters, and character variants. I indicated that I didn't want anymore variants of existing characters, since then, we have 2 new spider variants. Don't know what anyone else requested, but I can only assume there was a groundswell for more spider-peeps. Go figure.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Konman wrote:
    Not too long ago, there was an in-game link to the latest poll regarding wanted new characters, and character variants. I indicated that I didn't want anymore variants of existing characters, since then, we have 2 new spider variants. Don't know what anyone else requested, but I can only assume there was a groundswell for more spider-peeps. Go figure.
    nah - i'm sure development takes more time than that. Either Marvel is pushing all the Spiders on them, they're getting lazy with their ideas (a tempting idea, but not one I actually believe), or the response to new, more popular characters is noticeably higher from the general public (new app downloads, etc)
  • Konman wrote:

Gwen ain't a variant, she's an entirely different character with a sorta-similar set of powers. (And was my choice for "new character" request so woo)

You're talking about Black Suit Spidey as the other Variant, right? Because yeah I wager he was requested a lot too. People I've talked to about the game were honestly shocked he wasn't in it.

Again: Saying that Spider-Gwen is a variant of Spider-man is like saying Captain America is a variant of Iron Man.

(Also: Thank god we haven't had any new "Different character but same" variants like the old Dark Avengers are. X-23 is new Wolverine, but she ain't a redraw of all his old art at least.)
  • Legasher
    Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    I'll put in that I'm happy about this. Marvel is a huge universe (multiverse?) with lots of colorful characters, and we are getting there. But Spider-Man is a big part of that universe, especially for a hero with such relatively plain (rather than flashy) powers. What's so cool about the Spiderverse is how much emphasis it places on the person behind the mask. The tragedy that tends to strike those (and those around) that take up the spider-mantle (ba dum tish) and how it changes those characters tends to be more important than what needs to be punched this week. Having a bunch of characters who dealt with those blows in such varying ways show up all at once emphasizes what makes each one special in their own right. I look forward to non-spider characters in the future, but an addition or two (Jessica Drew?) while we're still on a roll isn't a bad thing.

Also, speaking of Jewish superheroes, I've mentioned Kitty Pryde every time they've asked. I can't wait until they release her. I'm her biggest fan. (We need an original Shadowcat costume version, Samurai version, Headmistress version, a version with Lockheed... :p)
  • Konman
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    Konman wrote:

Gwen ain't a variant, she's an entirely different character with a sorta-similar set of powers. (And was my choice for "new character" request so woo)

You're talking about Black Suit Spidey as the other Variant, right? Because yeah I wager he was requested a lot too. People I've talked to about the game were honestly shocked he wasn't in it.

Again: Saying that Spider-Gwen is a variant of Spider-man is like saying Captain America is a variant of Iron Man.

(Also: Thank god we haven't had any new "Different character but same" variants like the old Dark Avengers are. X-23 is new Wolverine, but she ain't a redraw of all his old art at least.)

If your story is that you've been bitten by a radioactive spider, which gave you the relative "strength, speed, and agility of a spider", all the while dealing with teenage social angstiness...chances are, you're a spider variant. Not that I know any of the story of Spider-Gwen, the character is pretty much a complete unknown to me, so with the limited, total-lack-o-nuance perspective of someone like me...yeah, its a variant.

Does Spider-Gwen catch criminals just like flies? If so...Look Out! Here comes a Spider Variant! LOL
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    Options
    For what it's worth, I voted for Symbiote suit Spidey but Black Suit Spidey is close enough.
    And Spider-Gwen is cool. Love the design. Would have voted for her too had I known she existed at the time of the polls.
  • Konman wrote:
    If your story is that you've been bitten by a radioactive spider, which gave you the relative "strength, speed, and agility of a spider", all the while dealing with teenage social angstiness...chances are, you're a spider variant. Not that I know any of the story of Spider-Gwen, the character is pretty much a complete unknown to me, so with the limited, total-lack-o-nuance perspective of someone like me...yeah, its a variant.

Does Spider-Gwen catch criminals just like flies? If so...Look Out! Here comes a Spider Variant! LOL

So, would you call Wolverine, X-23, Daken, Sabertooth, and Deadpool all variants of each other, as they are all from the same family of healing factor claw slashers?

Are Nova, Iron Man, and Doctor Doom all variants of each other, as they're all guys wearing powered up suits?

Are Beast and The Thing variants of each other? Mr. Fantastic and Kamala Khan?

There's more to characters then what their powersets and backstories are.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jewish Marvel heroes include Ben Grimm, Magneto (he was a prisoner at Auschwitz), his daughter Polaris (and Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch depending on whether their relation to him has been retconned away that month) Moon Knight, Kitty Pryde, Wiccan, Doc Samson, and, surprisingly to me, Iceman (he's non-practicing, but his mom's Jewish).

Wait, Wiccan is Jewish?
  • Wait, Wiccan is Jewish?
    His parents are, and he was raised Jewish. The whole thing where he's the reincarnation of one of the Scarlet Witch and Vision's twins might complicate that a bit, though.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    So, would you call Wolverine, X-23, Daken, Sabertooth, and Deadpool all variants of each other, as they are all from the same family of healing factor claw slashers?

Are Nova, Iron Man, and Doctor Doom all variants of each other, as they're all guys wearing powered up suits?

X-23 is a clone, Daken his son, Sabertooth a friend/enemy and maybe his father. They all share very similar powers and are closely related.

Nova is a teenager who gets his powers from an alien helmet he got from his dad.
    Iron Man is a genius, billionaire, philanthropist who invented and created the armor he wears...
    Doom is a dictator, evil genius, sorcerer who is slightly similar to Tony Stark but from a very different setting.
    Some of their powers are similar but they're all completely unrelated with each other.

Spot the difference? I'm ok with having the characters in the game even though i'd like more variation better but your argumentation is way off imho.
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    -First non-universe character.
    So, all other characters where universes?

If they mean she's the first one who's not from Earth-616, then there's Miles, the teen X-Men, Old Logan, Devil Dinosaur. If they are making a difference, it's because the other can now be considered permanent residents of the 616 universe but not Gwen?

Anyways, once they start drifting apart from 616, it opens the gates for new characters that are somewhat different from their mainstream counterparts. I would like to see Avalanche from X-Men Evolution, or the movie version of Negasonic Teenage Warhead, or Earth-9602 Logan, or Ultimate Reed Richards, or Super Hero Squad Wolverine (?)
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I look at her the way i look at the rest.. don't care who the character is, the skinning doesn't matter, as long as the moveset is one i can use, they can call it JoBob for all i care.
  • Konman
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    Konman wrote:

If you have a super hard metal skeleton with various retractable blades, and also happen to be a literal clone of and wear the old uniform of your namesake...you might be a variant.

All the others you listed out only have tenuous connections or attributes for each other, and don't really seem to meet any reasonable definition of variant.
  • Mercurywolf
    Options
    Berserk Al wrote:
    -First non-universe character.
    So, all other characters where universes?

If they mean she's the first one who's not from Earth-616, then there's Miles, the teen X-Men, Old Logan, Devil Dinosaur. If they are making a difference, it's because the other can now be considered permanent residents of the 616 universe but not Gwen?

Anyways, once they start drifting apart from 616, it opens the gates for new characters that are somewhat different from their mainstream counterparts. I would like to see Avalanche from X-Men Evolution, or the movie version of Negasonic Teenage Warhead, or Earth-9602 Logan, or Ultimate Reed Richards, or Super Hero Squad Wolverine (?)

Technically, Teen X-Men, Miles Morales, Old Man Logan are 616 characters now because of Secret Wars. (Devil Dinosaur has been a 616 for awhile.) Teen X-men were brought into the current time line from the past by Beast. Miles and OML became permanent features in the 616, and it was announced long before they were added to the game. (Although it's now called Marvel Prime.)

Spider-Gwen, however, is not Part of the 616. She seems to be the only character with an ongoing comic that is not part of the universe they are calling Marvel Prime.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    Berserk Al wrote:
    If they mean she's the first one who's not from Earth-616, then there's Miles, the teen X-Men, Old Logan, Devil Dinosaur.

If I understand the comics correctly, the teen X-Men are 616, just brought forward in time by Beast as he was dying of another mutation.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    Konman wrote:

So, would you call Wolverine, X-23, Daken, Sabertooth, and Deadpool all variants of each other
    Except for Deadpoll, yes, those are all Wolverine in different forms. Besides endless lazy Spidey versions, the worst repeater in this game is lazy Wolverine versions.