Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Comments

• So, I decided I am going to save up 900k iso(currently 170k). By that time I should have 6 full covered 3 stars to push all the way to max level from 40-94.

I currently have Ares, Thor, OBW, Storm, and Magneto at 94. And I have Loki and patch at 94, almost at max covers.

Good idea or no?
  • Mavrek32 wrote:
    So, I decided I am going to save up 900k iso(currently 170k). By that time I should have 6 full covered 3 stars to push all the way to max level from 40-94.

I currently have Ares, Thor, OBW, Storm, and Magneto at 94. And I have Loki and patch at 94, almost at max covers.

Good idea or no?

At this point i would wait until the iso costs drop at the next (or second) patch update. That should save you iso.

Good plan as long as it is the right 6 that you are maxing. Which ones do you plan to max?
  • papa07 wrote:
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    So, I decided I am going to save up 900k iso(currently 170k). By that time I should have 6 full covered 3 stars to push all the way to max level from 40-94.

Good idea or no?

At this point i would wait until the iso costs drop at the next (or second) patch update. That should save you iso.

Good plan as long as it is the right 6 that you are maxing. Which ones do you plan to max?

Smart move. I'm only at like 200k at the moment, so it will probably take me about 4-7 months at my current rate.

I plan on leveling;
    Patch
    Loki
    Hood
    Cage
    Iron Fist
    Rocket & Groot
    Magneto
  • Mavrek32 wrote:
    I plan on leveling;
    Patch
    Loki
    Hood
    Cage
    Iron Fist
    Rocket & Groot
    Magneto

That's a good list. Rocket is the weakest of the bunch, but is still solid mid-tier. The other 6 are all near the top. Sounds like the iso cost change will be coming in the Patch due around May 7th, so keep saving Iso until then. Good luck
  • papa07 wrote:
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    I plan on leveling;
    Patch
    Loki
    Hood
    Cage
    Iron Fist
    Rocket & Groot
    Magneto

That's a good list. Rocket is the weakest of the bunch, but is still solid mid-tier. The other 6 are all near the top. Sounds like the iso cost change will be coming in the Patch due around May 7th, so keep saving Iso until then. Good luck

Thanks!

I am a little biased towards Luke and Iron Fist as they are a couple of my fav's in the comics. Patch/Loki/Hood has just been so good to me in PvE and PvP so it felt like a no brain'er to max them. I am thinking about switching Groot for Daken or Blade. My focus will be PvP when I get 166's, as PvE is just a bit to demanding on my schedule outside of the Gauntlet.

If you had only 94's with 1.2mil ISO to max out seven 3*'s, who would you pick?
  • Mavrek32 wrote:
    Thanks!

I am a little biased towards Luke and Iron Fist as they are a couple of my fav's in the comics. Patch/Loki/Hood has just been so good to me in PvE and PvP so it felt like a no brain'er to max them. I am thinking about switching Groot for Daken or Blade. My focus will be PvP when I get 166's, as PvE is just a bit to demanding on my schedule outside of the Gauntlet.

If you are only concerned about PvP, you need to think about pairs.

Fastest - Hulk/Patch
    Healthiest - Patch/Daken

Those 2 pairs can get you through an entire PvP.

I would say Hulk and Patch are a must for hopping late in events. For the early climb, I would use Patch and a rotating group that includes Hood, Iron Fist, Blade, and Loki. For the 7th, I would personally go for 3Thor, but I think Cage would work well too.
  • papa07 wrote:
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    Thanks!

If you are only concerned about PvP, you need to think about pairs.

Fastest - Hulk/Patch
    Healthiest - Patch/Daken

Those 2 pairs can get you through an entire PvP.

I would say Hulk and Patch are a must for hopping late in events. For the early climb, I would use Patch and a rotating group that includes Hood, Iron Fist, Blade, and Loki. For the 7th, I would personally go for 3Thor, but I think Cage would work well too.

Huh, thank you very much, this was very helpful. I will probably go with your list, but with Luke Cage. Thor, Daken, and Magneto will probably be the next 3 I bring up after that.
  • Very nice guide thanks for the write up! Glad to see that Dr. Doom isn't going to be a wasted roster space (sitting at 1/1/1 at the moment).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    I plan on leveling;
    Patch
    Loki
    Hood
    Cage
    Iron Fist
    Rocket & Groot
    Magneto

This is a pretty good list, but I would definitely make room for Lazy Thor in there. He will remain very good, even after the general health buff.
  • I currently have:
    Blade 166
    Daken 166
    Thor 166
    Patch 166
    Sentry 140 (553)
    Hood 140 (553)

Who should I level next? I have 294k ISO. My options are:
    Cage 553
    Doom 345
    Mystique 355
    Torch 544
    Steve Rogers 355
    Deadpool 553
    Storm 535
    Punisher 535
    Loki 535
    Cyclops 453

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • I'd wait a couple weeks for the next update to hit that may save you some ISO in leveling (depending on where they are now and what the details of the update will be)

After that, Id say Cage and Cyke for PVP and PVE and Cap for the PVE beast that he is.
  • Alexraven wrote:
    I'd wait a couple weeks for the next update to hit that may save you some ISO in leveling (depending on where they are now and what the details of the update will be)

After that, Id say Cage and Cyke for PVP and PVE and Cap for the PVE beast that he is.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! My Cage is 130, Cyclops 40, and Steve Rogers 100.
  • crakker
    crakker Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Well I wished I had found this board sooner. Been playing about 3 months and my build is not very good. Now my question is at this point, I don't know how many covers I should have in total. I'm hanging on to some 3* covers with only 1 point, they are not very useful.

20 slots
    1*: two maxed
    2*: two maxed, three almost.
    3*: with one point only: Storm, Mystique, Loki, IM40, Falcon, Captain America - and awarded: Quicksilver, BW, Squirrel Girl
    with a few points: Deadpool, Dr Doom, Hulk, Rocket/Groot
    4*: with one point only: Nick Fury, Kingpin

So should I work to get more slots, or throw away some of the 1 point covers? should I try to get more 2* covers? thanks
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    crakker wrote:
    Well I wished I had found this board sooner. Been playing about 3 months and my build is not very good. Now my question is at this point, I don't know how many covers I should have in total. I'm hanging on to some 3* covers with only 1 point, they are not very useful.

20 slots
    1*: two maxed
    2*: two maxed, three almost.
    3*: with one point only: Storm, Mystique, Loki, IM40, Falcon, Captain America - and awarded: Quicksilver, BW, Squirrel Girl
    with a few points: Deadpool, Dr Doom, Hulk, Rocket/Groot
    4*: with one point only: Nick Fury, Kingpin

So should I work to get more slots, or throw away some of the 1 point covers? should I try to get more 2* covers? thanks
    You should be trying to earn HP and using all of it for roster slots. If you need space immediately, get rid of a 1 star. You only need one of those.
  • I am in need of some serious roster help. 83 days in, 16 roster slots, and I stupidly spent my HP on tokens for much of the first month and a half. This resulted in throwing away a ton of 2 and 3* covers. My roster currently looks like this:

1*:

IM35 5/5/3 lvl 50
    M.Storm 5/5/3 lvl 50
    Juggs 5/5 lvl 10

2*

OBW 3/5/5 lvl 72
    A. Wolvie 5/5/3 lvl 72
    MNMags 2/5/5 lvl 71
    MN Thor 5/1/2 lvl 55
    Ares 4/3/2 lvl 48
    Daken 0/1/2 lvl 17

3*

Kamala Kahn 0/1/1 lvl 43

Lvl 40 single covers: Thor, Loki, Daredevil, Cptn. Marvel.

4*

Kingpin 0/1/1 lvl 70

My first question is: is it worth it at all to keep any of these higher rarity characters at my current point in the curve?

Speaking of the curve, my second question is a long one:

My roster has expanded in the past month or so, but I still feel underpowered; Ultron has passed completely out of my reach, I never make it past 250 PvP points, and in order to get anywhere in pve, I have to grind into the wee hours of the morning. Will I come to a point where this will feel less like another full time job?
  • This guide really helped me in the beginning, but I never understood why 2* storm was ranked midtier. Covers wäre easy to obtain via story mode and she won a lot of matches for me.
  • I am in need of some serious roster help. 83 days in, 16 roster slots, and I stupidly spent my HP on tokens for much of the first month and a half. This resulted in throwing away a ton of 2 and 3* covers. My roster currently looks like this:

1*:

IM35 5/5/3 lvl 50
    M.Storm 5/5/3 lvl 50
    Juggs 5/5 lvl 10

2*

OBW 3/5/5 lvl 72
    A. Wolvie 5/5/3 lvl 72
    MNMags 2/5/5 lvl 71
    MN Thor 5/1/2 lvl 55
    Ares 4/3/2 lvl 48
    Daken 0/1/2 lvl 17

3*

Kamala Kahn 0/1/1 lvl 43

4*

Kingpin 0/1/1 lvl 70

My first question is: is it worth it at all to keep any of these higher rarity characters at my current point in the curve?

My roster has expanded in the past month or so, but I still feel underpowered; Ultron has passed completely out of my reach, I never make it past 250 PvP points, and in order to get anywhere in pve, I have to grind into the wee hours of the morning. Will I come to a point where this will feel less like another full time job?

I'm hardly an expert, but I can probably help:

1*s - Keep Juggs (for DDQ & T-Us), dump others.

2*s - I like everyone you've got, but notably absent is 2* Storm. She is a BEAST.

3*s - Others might disagree, but CM does nothing for me. The others? Keep them. Thor and Loki especially.

4*s - Mixed feelings on this one. I try REALLY hard not to drop them, but where you are in the process (or me, FTM) what are they actually worth? IDK. Keep him? Drop him?

You're currently solidly in the 2* period, building toward 3*s. 2* Storm would be more immediately valuable to you than a 3 or 4*, believe it or not.

Look at Polarity's transitioning guide on this forum, build and level your 2*s, and take a breath.

I wouldn't worry about doing well at everything, and I certainly wouldn't kill myself trying to outpace my capabilities atm. It's more about brains than brawn, you know? Progress will come, but be patient, both with the game and more importantly with yourself.

Above all, do NOT spend HP on ANYTHING other than roster slots right now. You're probably figuring that one out. Further, I personally don't open tokens unless I either have an open slot or can foresee earning one in the very near future. HP = Roster slot.

Responding directly to your concerns above, Ultron is going to be tough for your crew past the first couple levels, your PVP sounds about right (maybe even high-ish. lol) based on what you're working with for characters/levels, and you shouldn't need to grind into the night to do OK with PVE. Are you doing 8-hour refreshes, or just grinding away?

Overall, and I cannot stress this enough, breath, relax, spend some time looking at the Tips and Guides section. There are a ton of friendly people around who know far more than you or I, and they seem to truly enjoy helping others...

Good luck, and cheers!

DBC
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crosshead wrote:
    This guide really helped me in the beginning, but I never understood why 2* storm was ranked midtier. Covers wäre easy to obtain via story mode and she won a lot of matches for me.
    It's mostly because of her low hit points I believe. She can't really carry the 1-2 star transition like OBW, Thor or Ares can.

1*:

IM35 5/5/3 lvl 50
    M.Storm 5/5/3 lvl 50
    Juggs 5/5 lvl 10

2*

OBW 3/5/5 lvl 72
    A. Wolvie 5/5/3 lvl 72
    MNMags 2/5/5 lvl 71
    MN Thor 5/1/2 lvl 55
    Ares 4/3/2 lvl 48
    Daken 0/1/2 lvl 17

3*

Kamala Kahn 0/1/1 lvl 43

4*

Kingpin 0/1/1 lvl 70

For me, I personally keep the 4* and 3* , cause you never know when you'll need them. However, if you need to clear space I'm in favor of getting rid of any 1* as a lot of people can agree you only need one of them for DDQ.
  • Ok now it's my turn. I really need help in what to do next in my roster building. I'm almost going to have six 3* heros all going to be at level 95, rags will complete that unfortunately. icon_e_confused.gif ughhhh I'm not happy with my roster yet since I'm not lucky with pulling covers for my favorite heros. Anyways, in R75 update, will it be worth my while to level my six 3* heros to level 100 or 105? I'm not sure if 105 is where a 3* becomes somewhat useful or if it's 100. Also, I play pve mostly at this point since I really don't enjoy PVP unless it's a pvp like the recent "Combined Arms" event where there are no four star players to go against. icon_lol.gif

So here is my roster. Not sure when scaling will be difficult for pve, is it level 100, 105 or 166? But something tells me maybe I should hang around lvl 95 land since i've seen some top pve alliance have most their members with a lvl 95 roster, but then again I wouldn't make any progress in improving my pvp experience. So hard to find a balance in this game.

F098F6C2-5E31-484F-A1C6-F161ED2B6383_zpss0rh7rwa.jpg