Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Options

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cammorak wrote:
    It seems like the introduction of Deadpool's Daily might significantly change some aspects of transitioning between tiers. The 1* node is probably great for beginners trying to farm iso, but it makes me wonder about the cost/risk of DPD vs Lightning Rounds. It's probably possible to pull off both with reasonably leveled 1*s though, so that may be a nonissue. 1*->2* is so fast anyway, it may be a moot point.

2*->3*, on the other hand, got a huge boost. But the biggest features (Taco Token 2*s and guaranteed 3* covers) are both tied to survival nodes. This obviously makes OBW even stronger for transitioners, but I wonder if it also boosted 2* Cap. Moonstone probably retains her dubious usefulness because of Control Shift's cost, and Bag-Man can't really be helped by anything short of a boot to the tinykitty.

Some help regarding 2* strategies for DP Daily's survival nodes would be great! I'm not convinced that Cap is good regardless just because of how little damage he ends up doing: I'm guessing you can get by with Ares / OBW / random pretty decently.

I'll try to add the "do the DP daily" to the guide sometime in the future.

I made it through The Big Enchilada with Thor/Ares/OBW with relative ease. Daken/Wolverine could be nice to sub in for Thor for strike tiles and true heal. You are likely to really need to prioritize blue so Daken becomes less trustworthy for true heal in that case. I also found myself wanting to put in cmarv for the AOE black and the ability to get rid of some defense tiles.

I agree that baby cap just isn't that good. It would take so long to chip away at the last wave's health that they would likely get some big skills off and put a real hurt on you.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cammorak wrote:
    It seems like the introduction of Deadpool's Daily might significantly change some aspects of transitioning between tiers. The 1* node is probably great for beginners trying to farm iso, but it makes me wonder about the cost/risk of DPD vs Lightning Rounds. It's probably possible to pull off both with reasonably leveled 1*s though, so that may be a nonissue. 1*->2* is so fast anyway, it may be a moot point.

2*->3*, on the other hand, got a huge boost. But the biggest features (Taco Token 2*s and guaranteed 3* covers) are both tied to survival nodes. This obviously makes OBW even stronger for transitioners, but I wonder if it also boosted 2* Cap. Moonstone probably retains her dubious usefulness because of Control Shift's cost, and Bag-Man can't really be helped by anything short of a boot to the tinykitty.

Some help regarding 2* strategies for DP Daily's survival nodes would be great! I'm not convinced that Cap is good regardless just because of how little damage he ends up doing: I'm guessing you can get by with Ares / OBW / random pretty decently.

I made it through The Big Enchilada with Thor/Ares/OBW with relative ease. Daken/Wolverine could be nice to sub in for Thor for strike tiles and true heal. You are likely to really need to prioritize blue so Daken becomes less trustworthy for true heal in that case. I also found myself wanting to put in cmarv for the AOE black and the ability to get rid of some defense tiles.

I agree that baby cap just isn't that good. It would take so long to chip away at the last wave's health that they would likely get some big skills off and put a real hurt on you.

I think baby cap could be okay for survival, but isn't worth the iso investment considering how poor he is in PvP. I tried Thor / Ares / OBW in one of the nodes (since that's all the 2*s I have), and Thor / Ares seemed a bit redundant since they both basically covered green and yellow: I'm guessing baby torch might be a good third for the mode: he covers red and adds a black, sustained damage spell to the mix.
  • I made it through The Big Enchilada with Thor/Ares/OBW with relative ease. Daken/Wolverine could be nice to sub in for Thor for strike tiles and true heal. You are likely to really need to prioritize blue so Daken becomes less trustworthy for true heal in that case. I also found myself wanting to put in cmarv for the AOE black and the ability to get rid of some defense tiles.

There should also be some thought put into alternate teams as many heroes will be shut out one day or another. Only Ares, Moonstone, Hawkeye, and Bullseye do not have a 3star relation and are safe, but that still doesn't seem like a good reason to have Bullseye or Moonstone rostered.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cammorak wrote:

I think baby cap could be okay for survival, but isn't worth the iso investment considering how poor he is in PvP. I tried Thor / Ares / OBW in one of the nodes (since that's all the 2*s I have), and Thor / Ares seemed a bit redundant since they both basically covered green and yellow: I'm guessing baby torch might be a good third for the mode: he covers red and adds a black, sustained damage spell to the mix.

Torch is nice in that it gives you more flexibility with the red you spend over Wolverine. I don't think you could one shot any of the characters with one Fireball but you can call two for the same cost as Adamantium Claws for more total damage and you can use it how you see fit. Two or three fireballs + CotS would likely wipe out whatever is in any single wave. It would be nice to have another 2* strike tile generator that didn't have the drawbacks of Wolverine or Daken to pair with Ares/OBW or Thor/OBW though.
  • I have had great luck using OBW/AWolvie/Blade for the last node. But to keep it with all 2*'s I could see subbing in Storm in place of Blade for the AOE. The strategy I have found to work for me (and should work for most Teams) is to not use powers on the goons unless you have to and save up the AP for when the big guys come out to play. Hitting them with a sudden string of powers tends to either kill them off or weaken them enough that they are easy to finish off.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just thinking the same thing: the new mode is going to really change who is now best in the 2* and 3* transition land. We're only 2 days in so it's hard to really know, but OBW seems like the queen of the daily wave node. There are a few discussions already going about what is good, but it seems like you either need to kill things quickly - in my book that's Ares / Daken - or you need to save up amazing, expensive powers during the goon waves and then blow the character waves away as fast as possible - Thor and Storm fit this nicely. Who is useful as a transition character is less clear - although I'd guess 3* Thor and 3* Daken just to fill those same holes, and probably anyone with true healing or Cage for the constant defense. I doubt the top tier will actually change much, now that I think about it, just because the good characters are already so good. It might make someone like Squirrel Girl - normally more niche - much more awesome, though. Her yellow is actually potentially really good - really anything that puts out hefty strike / defense tiles can be good, since they will potentially stick around so much longer and get so much more use.

I can't remember if the 1*-only node is required to get the final 2k ISO prize, but if it is, that's another reason to keep a level 40 Jugs / level 50 Ironman around.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options

The very first Deadpool Daily I used a pure 2* roster for the final (3* reward) node, just because I didn't know what to expect, and I was sending a canary team in. It was MMN, Storm, and Thor. I won by the skin of my teeth because I realized I'd need as much AP as possible for the final wave. I would have wiped if the enemy had had one more turn, but it didn't matter because I'd collected enough blue and purple at that point to kill them two times over.

The tricks are: 1) to kill the last goon wave with an ability rather than a match, so it's still your turn when the final wave shows up (otherwise they'll arrive spamming abilities from the AP goons generated); 2) have saved enough AP from the goon wave to bomb the 3* enemies into oblivion ASAP.

Basically: collect AP during the two goon waves, preferably using AP steal, so you can nuke during the other two waves. For a 2* roster, OBW has never been more valuable, and that's saying something.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    oBW is basically the key to smashing the Survival nodes easily - her Blue and Purple are so clutch. I have to imagine that virtually any combination of top tier 2*s with oBW can win these nodes. You could pair her with Wolverine/Daken for a slow burn combined with denial. You could pair her with Ares/Thor for huge thumpers supplemented by her AP steal. You could pair her with Mags and Storm for shenanigans all around. You could pair her with Hawkeye and Mags and Speed Shot them to death.

That being said, I used a base level BP with Mags/Storm Day 1 and Wolverine/Daken/Mags Day 2, so oBW is certainly not necessary. She's just obscenely good here.

The one star node is trivial. If you're in the 2* transition, you're maxed 1*s will dominate this node. If you're a 1* player, I beat this node on Day 1 and Day 2 with just a single Level 21 Black Widow (1/5 Day One, 2/5 Day Two), so whatever team you have should breeze this easily. Any 2* or 3*+ players your Juggernaut should handle this fine.

The 3* nodes are relatively simple. So far they've all had obvious focuses, so you just down that guy and then it's basically over. I went in both days with Daken/Mags/Storm. I can't remember the lineup for Day 1, but Day 2 I focused Gorgon - by the time I matched out for Polarity Shift > Wind Storm Gorgon was low enough I could just stun the next biggest target (Human Torch). At this point Gorgon was <200 HP with both Loki and Human Torch at <1000 HP, so I just matched down Gorgon > Chemical Reaction on Loki, leaving a 4 turn stunned Human Torch for me to pummel.
  • Any plans to expand on the transition to 4* roster? Maybe with some expanded notes on 4* characters and/or unique combinations of 4* in-progress characters with 3*s (similar to what you have in place for the 2* and 3* transition summaries)?

I get that 4*Thor and Xforce are the ideal goals for most rosters, but I have a hard time believing that Starlord, Elektra, Dino, and Fury are not worth paying attention to if you don't have covers for 4*Thor or Xforce and are F2P.

I used your guide many times transitioning to 3*. After a year of play, I've finally got my roster to the point where I can hit the 4* progression rewards in pvp if I've got the featured character maxed. Any additional advice will be most welcome.
  • Dear Polarity, first and foremost I would like to thank you very much for posting this guide, as your advice and the inputs of the other veteran players really helps.
    I understand that I might be posting this in the wrong place and I apologize in advance but I need some advice.

I am advancing from 2 stars to 3 stars territory and have about 4 core 3 stars( at lvl94 with 7 to 10 covers each.)
    The highest level character I have is devil dino, which I acquired awhile back, is at lvl 115. I did not know about scaling then.

My question is
    -should I level my 3 stars to the same level as the devil dino, since he is my highest level, would that serve any purpose or do anything to my scaling?
    -has having a lvl115 devil dino in a lvl94 roster even pushed up my scaling at all?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I would appreciate some advice. Thanks
  • Hex13 wrote:
    Dear Polarity, first and foremost I would like to thank you very much for posting this guide, as your advice and the inputs of the other veteran players really helps.
    I understand that I might be posting this in the wrong place and I apologize in advance but I need some advice.

I am advancing from 2 stars to 3 stars territory and have about 4 core 3 stars( at lvl94 with 7 to 10 covers each.)
    The highest level character I have is devil dino, which I acquired awhile back, is at lvl 115. I did not know about scaling then.

My question is
    -should I level my 3 stars to the same level as the devil dino, since he is my highest level, would that serve any purpose or do anything to my scaling?
    -has having a lvl115 devil dino in a lvl94 roster even pushed up my scaling at all?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I would appreciate some advice. Thanks

As a fellow transitionor, I've soft-capped by 3* (even those with 13 covers) to 94. I believe that since your Devil Dino is already level 115, I think levelling the remainder of your 3* to the same level with Devil Dino will not make your scaling any worse. If I were in your shoes, I'll level them to 115.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hex13 wrote:

I'm no NorthenPolarity, but I can give you a relatively educated answer to your questions: I don't think having Devil Dino at 115 will toss your scaling into arrears by himself. If I can assume that your roster is heavy with 94 2* guys, the difference that having a single 4* at only 21 levels higher is likely negligible. I would only recommend leveling your other 3* characters if they are built in a manner likely to have a significant impact on your useable lineup for either PvP or PvE, and then depending on which facet of gameplay you intend to focus your energy on. Good luck!
  • Hex13 wrote:
    Dear Polarity, first and foremost I would like to thank you very much for posting this guide, as your advice and the inputs of the other veteran players really helps.

My question is

I kept my 3stars at 110 until I could had covers for about 10 of them. I had no issues with PvE scaling (my 2stars were still useful on every node). When I moved the group of 3 stars to 120, I could no longer consistently use my 2 stars on the hardest nodes of PvE, so that was when I, personally, saw scaling impact.
  • TaoSpoons
    Options
    Hex13 wrote:

My question is

About leveling characters: here's a couple of points that I haven't noticed being mentioned so far.

1) Tile match damage for 3* characters passes that of 2* characters around level 106, but their health and ability damage at that level can be better than a 2* at level 94.

If you have a character that regenerates health or a character with bargeloads of HP, leveling them above 105 might be desirable. For example, you might push Hulk or Patchverine up past level 105 so that they take damage when you match green instead of, say, 2* Storm. On the other hand, the Hood is probably better kept at or near 105 until he has someone who can tank damage for him when you match yellow or black.

2) A broad roster of equal level is easier on the health pack consumption.

If you enjoy PvE and PvP, you might find yourself trying to split your roster between them. The more characters you have of an equal level, the more fights you can pick before you exhaust your roster.

Long story short: who you level can depend very heavily on who you have to level and what you level them for, but if you want to be competitive in a "middle of the pack" way, be selective about leveling characters past 105.

Based on those points, I've decided to hold my 3* characters around level 105 until I have the covers (and ISO) to push a group of them up together. Your mileage may vary, but if you do it differently I'd be interested in hearing your experience.

Also, as El Satanno already said, having Devil Dino by himself at level 115 is not likely going to throw your scaling in the junk pile. My thought would be to keep him in reserve for the hardest fights you'll face and to pair him with someone who can feed him AP when you bring him out to play.
  • BlokeCDP
    BlokeCDP Posts: 17
    Options
    IM35/M.Storm/M. Black Widow – The cookie cutter team comp for someone who is just starting out. Covers all colors while having strong abilities in all of them. IM35 is the main damage dealer/tank, M. Storm clears the board when needed, and M. Black Widow provides AP stealing / stun support. In this team composition, always keep Iron Man at least 1 level above Storm and at least 7 levels above Black Widow. This will allow him to have higher tile match damage than M. Storm and Widow in the colors they share, and thus allow him to be at the front and tank all of the damage, which means that you can conserve health packs by only healing him.

Hi guys stupid question alert....

I have a level 45 iron man, level 25 storm and level 23 MBW. however he isn't the tank in relation to green as storm does loads more damage therefore she gets downed quickly. Have I misunderstood the above regarding tank damage for iron man?

Sorry. Newb alert lol
  • BlokeCDP wrote:
    IM35/M.Storm/M. Black Widow – The cookie cutter team comp for someone who is just starting out. Covers all colors while having strong abilities in all of them. IM35 is the main damage dealer/tank, M. Storm clears the board when needed, and M. Black Widow provides AP stealing / stun support. In this team composition, always keep Iron Man at least 1 level above Storm and at least 7 levels above Black Widow. This will allow him to have higher tile match damage than M. Storm and Widowin the colors they share, and thus allow him to be at the front and tank all of the damage, which means that you can conserve health packs by only healing him.

Hi guys stupid question alert....

I have a level 45 iron man, level 25 storm and level 23 MBW. however he isn't the tank in relation to green as storm does loads more damage therefore she gets downed quickly. Have I misunderstood the above regarding tank damage for iron man?

Sorry. Newb alert lol

Hi BlokeCDP,

the setup Polarity describes can only ensure that Iron Man tanks all three of his colors, including those that he shares with Storm (yellow) and MBW (blue). He won't however tank purple black and green.

Cheers
  • BlokeCDP
    BlokeCDP Posts: 17
    Options
    Gotcha. thanks for explaining!
  • Sterno wrote:
    Any plans to expand on the transition to 4* roster? Maybe with some expanded notes on 4* characters and/or unique combinations of 4* in-progress characters with 3*s (similar to what you have in place for the 2* and 3* transition summaries)?

I get that 4*Thor and Xforce are the ideal goals for most rosters, but I have a hard time believing that Starlord, Elektra, Dino, and Fury are not worth paying attention to if you don't have covers for 4*Thor or Xforce and are F2P.

I used your guide many times transitioning to 3*. After a year of play, I've finally got my roster to the point where I can hit the 4* progression rewards in pvp if I've got the featured character maxed. Any additional advice will be most welcome.

I would never put any resources in any 4* other than xforce/4thor. Just a waste of resources imo. Put them towards the few 3* that can get you 1k pvp progression for xforce/thor or save them until you get xforce/thor covers. It sucks, but it will payoff when you have xxx,xxx iso saved up and can dump it into these chars instantly.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    oBW is basically the key to smashing the Survival nodes easily - her Blue and Purple are so clutch. I have to imagine that virtually any combination of top tier 2*s with oBW can win these nodes. You could pair her with Wolverine/Daken for a slow burn combined with denial. You could pair her with Ares/Thor for huge thumpers supplemented by her AP steal. You could pair her with Mags and Storm for shenanigans all around. You could pair her with Hawkeye and Mags and Speed Shot them to death.

That being said, I used a base level BP with Mags/Storm Day 1 and Wolverine/Daken/Mags Day 2, so oBW is certainly not necessary. She's just obscenely good here.

The one star node is trivial. If you're in the 2* transition, you're maxed 1*s will dominate this node. If you're a 1* player, I beat this node on Day 1 and Day 2 with just a single Level 21 Black Widow (1/5 Day One, 2/5 Day Two), so whatever team you have should breeze this easily. Any 2* or 3*+ players your Juggernaut should handle this fine.

The 3* nodes are relatively simple. So far they've all had obvious focuses, so you just down that guy and then it's basically over. I went in both days with Daken/Mags/Storm. I can't remember the lineup for Day 1, but Day 2 I focused Gorgon - by the time I matched out for Polarity Shift > Wind Storm Gorgon was low enough I could just stun the next biggest target (Human Torch). At this point Gorgon was <200 HP with both Loki and Human Torch at <1000 HP, so I just matched down Gorgon > Chemical Reaction on Loki, leaving a 4 turn stunned Human Torch for me to pummel.

For the Big Enchilada node, I have beaten it on 18/21 days so far with a team of (left to right) 2* Thor, 2* Daken, OBW. 2 of the remaining days I didn't have the required character to unlock the node. I thin the third day was a 2/2/2 level 94 XForce, my Falcon, and somebody else - one of my Caps, I think.
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Firstly great post.
    Secondly: is there a list of costs for adding roster slots? When does the cost of slots increase etc.
    I'm trying to plan ahead (like when to open covers) so that I don't run out of HP to purchase slots and to minimise 3-star wastage.

Is the increase the same each time (2-3 buys at each HP interval) or does it increase by more as you get more slots (increase each buy).
    (Disclaimer: There may be an existing post/topic with these details but my search seems to hit mostly queries on which characters to keep/add to rosters)