Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Options

Comments

• (English is not my 1st language)

As a newcomer I have a few questions about how to handle the rotation: I started ~ 1 month ago and got 20 roster slots so far. Thanks to the new time slots I was able to get consistently 2 3* covers in pvp. Because of this I got a lot more 3* heros then I have roster slots. With the upcoming rotation of 5 Heros I'm wondering if i should delete them to get some room for other heros with the possibility to get more than 2 covers. I have:

1/0/1 Black Widow
    0/1/2 Daken
    1/0/0 IM40
    1/0/1 Psylocke
    0/0/2 Black Panther

Bonus question: If you want to save roster slots which 2* should you focus on? At the moment I'm only really collecting Thor, oBW, HT, cStorm, mnMags. Any other 2* I should keep?
  • Koko81 wrote:
    Hey guys I'm new to the forums and I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this question:

I was wondering if I should pump any more ISO into my 2* characters. I currently have Wolvie, Thor, Daken, Cap and HT maxed. I could get OBW, Magneto, MHawkeye and Storm to 94 as well but am wondering if it's worth it? The 2* to 3* transition has been very painful. My closest character right now is Psylocke who I can bump to level 102 and BP at level 91. I'm currently at day 87 from the daily resupply list,

PS: This guide has been immense for me as it really helped me to place some pieces together!

I think this depends on how close you are to having a usable Psylocke / BP: what do their cover distributions look like?

icon_psylocke.png 2 redflag.png 3 blueflag.png 3 blackflag.png
    icon_blackpanther.png 3 yellowflag.png 1 blueflag.png 3 blackflag.png

And seeing how the consensus on OBW is to level her up ASAP, that's the course ill be taking! Thanks a lot Northern and Alexraven!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Flouyd wrote:
    (English is not my 1st language)

As a newcomer I have a few questions about how to handle the rotation: I started ~ 1 month ago and got 20 roster slots so far. Thanks to the new time slots I was able to get consistently 2 3* covers in pvp. Because of this I got a lot more 3* heros then I have roster slots. With the upcoming rotation of 5 Heros I'm wondering if i should delete them to get some room for other heros with the possibility to get more than 2 covers. I have:

1/0/1 Black Widow
    0/1/2 Daken
    1/0/0 IM40
    1/0/1 Psylocke
    0/0/2 Black Panther
    If you absolutely need the room I would suggest selling IM40 first - while I personally like him, I mostly use him as a Recharge battery for other characters, his offensive powers are really only used when I have to. If you still need another spot you could consider selling Psylocke - she is good for quick kills against weaker opponents, but tends to struggle a bit against bigger opponents and need a lot of healthpacks. Black Widow can be said to be the opposite - once you have 5 levels in Sniper Rifle and preferably Deceptive Tactics she can wipe out the opponent, but it takes a while to get her going and you need to keep her safe in the meantime.
    Under no circumstances should you sell Daken or Black Panther. Both are excellent characters and the sooner you can level them up the better.
    Do keep in mind that all three-stars are required in PvE sooner or later, so once these characters come back in rotation you may wish you had never sold them off. Psylocke and Black Widow both have their best covers already, but Iron Man... well, I already said I only care about Recharge, so feel free to drop Unibeam if you want to. If he's featured there will be a chance to win him beforehand anyway.
    Flouyd wrote:
    Bonus question: If you want to save roster slots which 2* should you focus on? At the moment I'm only really collecting Thor, oBW, HT, cStorm, mnMags. Any other 2* I should keep?
    Ares is a dang good 2*, particularly when paired with OBW in PvP. Daken is also good - anyone with a healing factor has an immediate advantage.
    If space is an issue you might want to look into selling 1* characters you don't use. You constantly get new covers from standard tokens and from PvP matches anyway, so if you feel you need to have them on your roster again you can build them up fairly quickly.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    Flouyd wrote:
    Ares is a dang good 2*, particularly when paired with OBW in PvP. Daken is also good - anyone with a healing factor has an immediate advantage.
    If space is an issue you might want to look into selling 1* characters you don't use. You constantly get new covers from standard tokens and from PvP matches anyway, so if you feel you need to have them on your roster again you can build them up fairly quickly.

I only have 1* BW left. I use her for the blue stun from time to time. All the other 1* I already got rid of.

The Problem is, that with all the 1 and 2 off you get from pve and pvp its hard to find the space. At the moment I have 1 1* and 6 2* (That I consider keeping). But i have 15 3* and 11 of those only got 1 or 2 covers. (and 5 of those just got rotated out so that I can't even get more covers)

Its a little frustrating that i can't really use my 3* because i dont have enough covers but I cant keep all my 3* so that i eventually get more covers because the game gives them to me at a faster rate then i get slots. In a way I started with the game at the exactly right/wrong time: I get a lot of covers because of the new time slots / but this rotation is making my already small space even more sparse

Here is what i got right now (including the heros that are waiting to be recruited in the next <7 days):

70 0/0/1 4* wolf

66 3/1/0 3* Gamora
    55 1/1/2 3* R&G
    53 2/0/1 3* Captain Marvel
    53 0/1/2 3* Daken
    43 1/0/1 3* BW
    43 0/1/1 3* Blade
    43 1/0/1 3* Psylocke
    40 0/0/2 3* Black Panther
    40 1/0/0 3* IM40
    40 0/0/1 3* Hulk
    40 1/0/1 3* Doc Octopus
    40 1/0/1 3* Deadpool
    40 0/0/1 3* Cap. America
    40 0/0/1 3* She Hulk

70 3/4/4 2* Thor
    55 3/4/1 2* oBW
    55 5/1/2 2* HT
    54 2/4/2 2* Ares
    38 3/2/2 2* Storm
    31 3/0/1 2* Wolv
    30 2/3/1 2* Hawkeye
    23 4/0/4 2* Captain Marvel
    15 1/0/0 2* Cap. America
    15 1/0/1 2* Magneto
    15 1/0/1 2* Daken

35 5/5 1* Black Widow

I was thinking about getting rid of 2* Cap America and Marvel, Hawkeye, Wolv and Ares (he fills the same role as Thor doesn't he? and i like Thor better) 3* IM40, Hulk, She Hulk and DocOc. That would get me to 18/20 Roster slots. Which mean in 2 weeks or so im at the exact same position I am now with maybe 2 more roster slots and 4-5 more 3* covers from pve/pvp (Well if 2 weeks down the line I'm still playing at the rate I am now spending some more money would be totally fine. Maybe there is another sell around christmas)
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Flouyd wrote:
    I was thinking about getting rid of 2* Cap America and Marvel, Hawkeye, Wolv and Ares (he fills the same role as Thor doesn't he? and i like Thor better) 3* IM40, Hulk, She Hulk and DocOc. That would get me to 18/20 Roster slots. Which mean in 2 weeks or so im at the exact same position I am now with maybe 2 more roster slots and 4-5 more 3* covers from pve/pvp (Well if 2 weeks down the line I'm still playing at the rate I am now spending some more money would be totally fine. Maybe there is another sell around christmas)
    Captain America is a utility character - he's great against goons when he has 5 levels in Star-Spangled Avenger and Peacemaker as he can remove their countdowns, but he's far from essential, particularly since Steve Rogers can do the same thing. Hawkeye is fun, but far from essential. Wolverine and Ares do share colors with Thor, that is true, but they play very differently from each other - Thor can wear a team down fairly fast, Ares specializes in quick damage against a single target (there are drawbacks, but you can play around them), and Wolverine is more of a supporting hitter that can help his teammates do more damage with strike tiles. There are good uses for all three, but if you only have room for one then Thor is not a bad choice (though Ares is probably more intimidating on defense in PvP). Haven't really played enough with Ms Marvel to say anything about her.
    I can definitely support selling Iron Man 40 and Doc Ock though. The other covers... well, you may end up missing them eventually. Hulk's Anger is his main selling point, and She-Hulk's PoA is her best power too.
  • Do you guys know when characters that are absent from tokens are placed back in the mix..? For example I know icon_blackpanther.png is out now but how long am I looking at for him to return?
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Koko81 wrote:
    Do you guys know when characters that are absent from tokens are placed back in the mix..? For example I know icon_blackpanther.png is out now but how long am I looking at for him to return?
    Loki, Patch and Daredevil were among the first characters to be taken out of rotation in early October. So they have been out of circulation for two months, and the other characters that were taken out then (Punisher, Human Torch, Ragnarok, Doctor Doom... and possibly someone else) are still waiting to return. So it's hard to say exactly when the comeback will be. It will probably take longer and longer as more characters are added to the game though.
  • That's insane man! I know people have touched on this but this is making it impossible for transition players (2*->3*).
    I understand it's profitable for D3 cause it forces us to BUY the covers, but it really makes it annoying. I'm currently at 8 covers for psylocke and 7 covers for BP and they were the ones I was looking to make the cornerstone of my 3* squad. I can't go forward anymore by winning 1-2 covers from new 3* characters... Hopefully a Christmas miracle might happen and all characters might be replaced in the token pool (with an EXTRA HIGH pull rate)
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Koko81 wrote:
    That's insane man! I know people have touched on this but this is making it impossible for transition players (2*->3*).
    I understand it's profitable for D3 cause it forces us to BUY the covers, but it really makes it annoying. I'm currently at 8 covers for psylocke and 7 covers for BP and they were the ones I was looking to make the cornerstone of my 3* squad. I can't go forward anymore by winning 1-2 covers from new 3* characters... Hopefully a Christmas miracle might happen and all characters might be replaced in the token pool (with an EXTRA HIGH pull rate)
    Well, the characters that are vaulted would probably not be featured in PvP/PvE anyway, so vaulting really only takes away your chance to pull them from tokens... But in your situation that's not really helping.
    It's kind of a double whammy too since the characters tend to be featured before being removed - we have had PvPs for Black Widow, Iron Man, Psylocke and Daken this season, so the question is if you can dare to put any ISO into older characters when they are handed out as prizes... before you know it they go into the vault.
  • Kinda makes me question whether ill ever be able to move up the transition stage...
    Thanks Quebb for the insight
  • Yeah i can barely even get covers for 3** to buy them up.

I cracked and bought up covers for the only 3* i could max (Blade), but he is only useful in PVE. If this 2-->3 transition starts to stall with a useful 3* cover once every blue moon, I probably won't be sticking around.

How can us newer players compete (even if we are whales) when we only have access to lame "current" featured 3* marketing ploys and LazyCaps, and 0 LDaken, BP, etc?????
  • Switchman wrote:
    Yeah i can barely even get covers for 3** to buy them up.

I cracked and bought up covers for the only 3* i could max (Blade), but he is only useful in PVE. If this 2-->3 transition starts to stall with a useful 3* cover once every blue moon, I probably won't be sticking around.

How can us newer players compete (even if we are whales) when we only have access to lame "current" featured 3* marketing ploys and LazyCaps, and 0 LDaken, BP, etc?????

I'm kinda floating around in the same boat as you. I love the concept of this game and I really think it has a lot of potential. But taking out really strong characters from the reward pool kinda bottlenecks the new players of the game. I'm only at day 87 right now and I was having fun in the beginning even when my roster was weak. Once I got my first 2* character maxed it made things even more interesting (Albeit it was Cap and kinda sucked). I know have 6 maxed 2* characters and could have another 3 but im just hesitant in pumping more iso into them. It would make things more interesting if there was the possibility of getting the 3* covers that I had received in the beginning.

I understand that at the end of the day it is a business for D3 and they would rather we use HP to buy covers than them giving it to us through FREE tokens, but it kinda makes me wonder if it's even worth continuing along with this game.

That's why this guide has helped me a lot cause it's allowed me to focus on those 2* characters and try to build around them even if i don't have my 3* team.
  • Thanks for the guide. I am sat on some 3* members at level 120-130 and have 300k iso. I am reluctant to level them fully though as I get the impression this would make PVE a lot less enjoyable and, for me right now, I am enjoying PVE way more than PVP.

So I am thinking of getting a bunch of 3* up to 120-130, rather than have 3-4 3* at 166 or close to it. Wrong move?
  • Why would it hurt your PvE, that your characters are stronger ?
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Kreissl2 wrote:
    Why would it hurt your PvE, that your characters are stronger ?
    PvE difficulty is determined by your roster strength, so if you level your characters up the enemies go up accordingly.
  • Exactly, so right now I face 110-120 enemies/goons normally. It would seem that if I hit 166 with one or two guys then my PVE enemies will shoot way up, proportionally higher than they are now.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the guide, very useful!
    But I have a request: can you add in "Team Compositions 3*" section a team with Patch and one with Black Panther?
    Because in your list Patch, BP, Daken and Thor are the best 3*, you show us good teams with Thor and Daken but about BP you've only said he works best with Sentry (however you didn't mention a third character), and there isn't Patch's team (Patch + [Psylocke/Gamora/BP] + Daken is the best?).
  • Flouyd wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    Flouyd wrote:

I only have 1* BW left. I use her for the blue stun from time to time. All the other 1* I already got rid of.

The Problem is, that with all the 1 and 2 off you get from pve and pvp its hard to find the space. At the moment I have 1 1* and 6 2* (That I consider keeping). But i have 15 3* and 11 of those only got 1 or 2 covers. (and 5 of those just got rotated out so that I can't even get more covers)

Its a little frustrating that i can't really use my 3* because i dont have enough covers but I cant keep all my 3* so that i eventually get more covers because the game gives them to me at a faster rate then i get slots. In a way I started with the game at the exactly right/wrong time: I get a lot of covers because of the new time slots / but this rotation is making my already small space even more sparse

Here is what i got right now (including the heros that are waiting to be recruited in the next <7 days):

COVERS

u have the same problem as my younger brother. we both started 57 days ago, he has a lot of 3* with only one cover and i have not as many 3* as him.
    yet my rooster is better! i have a lot of good 2* fully covered. ares, thor, daken, wolv, oBW, mnmags, cS.

it seems to me, u dont understand the concept of transitioning. ofc its cool to draw that shiny gold token with a 3*, but if u lack a strong 2*rooster, its not worth much in the longterm.

id say, keep top5 characters, sell the rest and focus on building a good 2*rooster: daken/thor/ares, oBW/thor/wolv.

worst case, u wont be able to play essential nodes that feature a character u already sold
    best case, u will wipe the floor with ur fully covered 2* team against an half assed 3*team. yellowtile.png ares kills everyone
  • Hi Everyone,

First post woo!

So I recentlyish got pretty hooked on MPQ. I decided to try out being a whale for the first time. "And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello, Ground!" RIP Douglas Adams.

So now on day 58 I have a decently fleshed out 3* star roster but I am having trouble deciding where to spend my ISO. I don't want to buy ISO because collecting it from playing is what keeps the game fun for me(also it is horribly inefficient).

here is my current roster.

Lvl 155 4Thor 5/3/5
    Lvl 105 hood 5/5/3
    lvl 116 RnG 4/5/4
    lvl 100 Ldaken 5/4/4
    Lvl 100 blade 5/3/4

I have a bunch of other 3*'s not close enough to fully covered to really be worth the ISO and pretty much all of the 2*'s fully covered but only CS storm at 94
    My question is should I just dump ISO into 4Thor and hood until they are maxed or should I spread it to the 133 cap recommended by NothernPolarity? also should I bother maxing the 2*'s or did I essentially jump over that step? of particular note there is I have a lvl 70 2* mags that I am not sure if I should bump to 94. I am also thinking of leveling OBW(currently at 60) think that's worth it at this point?

My other less important question is should I concentrate on adding any particular character to my lineup(besides Xforce who clearly I want but sadly have no covers for)? I have a mystique at 3/1/2 covers, Lcap at 1/2/4, GSBW at 5/0/3, and the hulk at 1/4/1 covers.

Thanks for the guide NorthernPolarity. It is both helpful and awesome.

Thanks for any advice guys!
  • Seems to me the rate of 2* to 3* progression have slowed down to an absolute crawl recently due to PVE events constantly rewarding new characters instead of covers for existing characters and character vaulting.

With PVE not being a viable method to improve a transitioner's roster due to new character releases, the only way to earn covers for existing characters is through 1) PVP events in which a transitioner is probably able to get 1 cover per event, and considering it probably takes 1.5-2 month to for the PVP to rotate around and feature the same character again it'll literally take more than 1 year to be able to max cover someone like Patch, 3* Cap America etc. considering the time they spend in the vault as well 2) Get lucky with tokens or 3) Spend HP to buy the covers outright.