Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Options

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    From the Spending Real Money on MPQ section:
    An exception to this are critical covers. A critical cover for a character is a cover that will significantly improve the characters power level. There aren't too many critical covers in this game, but buying the ones that will significantly boost your team power level can be a very good idea if you want to jump start progression. Examples include OBW 4 black (if your team has strike tiles), C Mags/Spidey 5 blue, GSBW 5 green, and maybe Hood 5 blue. Most other covers would give your team a marginal boost, and typically isn't worth the 10 bucks you'd spend on the cover.

These examples probably need to be updated. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Five blue for CMags isn't a bad option - just not as good as it used to be,
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just FYI, 3* Storm still references a Red power (I think it's yellow now).
  • vudu3
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    Five blue for CMags isn't a bad option - just not as good as it used to be,
    I didn't say it was bad--just no longer critical. Hood's fifth blue is critical. Hood's fifth black is critical if you want to shield hop. I'd argue that Thor's fifth yellow is critical. X-Force black & green are probably both critical but expensive so I don't know if I'd recommend people buy them with HP.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not sure if you'll ever have a section for specific 3* one-hit-wonder covers during transition, but I'm going to vouch for a single IM40 yellow cover.

This one yellow cover has been incredibly valuable to me in PvE whenever 2* red users are boosted (like Wolverine/Torch in the recent anniversary Deadpool vs. MPQ). A lot of difficult nodes then become much easier.

Transition players without IM40 yellow should try hard to pick him up if offered in an event.
  • yeah if I could only go back in time and tell myself 'just one yellow cover'...then I would put more iso into IM40...he needs some correction 'bad'
    - Unreall
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hi all. I'm a 2* to 3* transitioning player with Sentry being my most covered 3* at 8 covers (2/3/3), Hulk at 5 covers and no one else even close to being ready to use. I currently have Sentry sitting at lvl 94 and was wondering if i should level him to my soft cap of 102 and continue raising him as I get more covers.

The only thing holding me back at the moment is the possible higher scaling of PVE due to a high level sentry that may ruin my enjoyment of the game. I'm tempted to continue to raise Sentry simply to be a bit more competitive in PVP.

My other characters at the moment include a level 94 ares, thor, obw, daken and classic storm, and fully covered and significantly levelled torch and magneto.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    spectator wrote:
    Hi all. I'm a 2* to 3* transitioning player with Sentry being my most covered 3* at 8 covers (2/3/3), Hulk at 5 covers and no one else even close to being ready to use. I currently have Sentry sitting at lvl 94 and was wondering if i should level him to my soft cap of 102 and continue raising him as I get more covers.

The only thing holding me back at the moment is the possible higher scaling of PVE due to a high level sentry that may ruin my enjoyment of the game. I'm tempted to continue to raise Sentry simply to be a bit more competitive in PVP.

My other characters at the moment include a level 94 ares, thor, obw, daken and classic storm, and fully covered and significantly levelled torch and magneto.

I wouldn't level him further as I don't think he will be better than the people you already have available and this might push up your MMR (meaning you could face harder opposition)
  • I'd love to get some advice please. I've been playing for 36 days and have a roster size of 13 (paid real money for the last one, because I feel like I should support the devs. I am enjoying the game after all icon_e_smile.gif )

So, here is my problem. I don't know how to build a roster. I have the following, and would appreciate advice on where to trim the fat.

1 Devil Dino, 7 3-star characters that I only have 1 cover for, then an assortment of 2 star characters with multiple covers. I've sold some 3-star covers in the past (Ragnarok and Daredevil), but I don't like selling 2 star characters to make space for the 3-stars, when ultimately I'll end up getting lots more 2-star characters again anyway. I think at this point I've used and sold Ares 3 times across maybe 10 covers. Same with Daken.

Not a single 2 star character is higher than level 40. Should I just sell off the 3 star characters I have and focus on building a good 2-star roster? I have 3-Star
    Thor,
    Cap,
    Mag,
    Psylocke,
    The Hood,
    Colossus,
    Human Torch.

If I was to cut that back to say 3, and focus on building 2-stars... who should I keep? Would I be mad to sell any more 3-Star characters? New roster slots isn't really an option.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I would consider myself at stage 4 of this guide. I have three lvl 166 characters (LCap, HT, and Sentry) and eight others that are cover-maxed. I am going to try to get most of them to 133, but I was wondering which ones I should consider moving up to 166. These are my choices (ordered from most to least likely to level):

5/3/5 LThor
    5/4/4 LDaken
    5/3/5 BP

5/5/3 Hood
    5/5/3 Falcon
    5/3/5 Psylocke

3/5/5 Spider-Man
    5/5 Loki

I'm considering bringing the top 3 to 166, the next 3 to 133, and not doing anything with the other two.
  • Hi everyone,

I would consider myself at stage 4 of this guide. I have three lvl 166 characters (LCap, HT, and Sentry) and eight others that are cover-maxed. I am going to try to get most of them to 133, but I was wondering which ones I should consider moving up to 166. These are my choices (ordered from most to least likely to level):

5/3/5 LThor
    5/4/4 LDaken
    5/3/5 BP

5/5/3 Hood
    5/5/3 Falcon
    5/3/5 Psylocke

3/5/5 Spider-Man
    5/5 Loki

I'm considering bringing the top 3 to 166, the next 3 to 133, and not doing anything with the other two.

Daken first because he's a true healer, the more colors he tanks the fewer health packs you'll need for your other fighters. Black Panther is a strong choice and if he's higher level, he'll tank all colors for your Hood and do a similar job for your Falcon if you use them together. LThor next coz he's not at the ideal build yet until you get more yellow covers. Psylocke can work well with Daken but she's not high priority.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hi everyone,

5/3/5 LThor
    5/4/4 LDaken
    5/3/5 BP

5/5/3 Hood
    5/5/3 Falcon
    5/3/5 Psylocke

3/5/5 Spider-Man
    5/5 Loki

Hood is by far the strongest character to level for your roster: he fuels all your guys, combos amazing with Sentry in PvP / Cap in PvE, and will make your team a lot more intimidating on defense than any of the other guys you can level. Daken is your best option for sustained pushing, but if you don't really find that you're having trouble pushing to 600-700 without running out of health packs, then he's going to be far less useful to yourroster than Hood will be. I would probably get Hood to 166, then Thor to 166 (he's a good sustained pusher with Hood), and finally level up Daken before moving onto other guys.
  • I'd love to get some advice please. I've been playing for 36 days and have a roster size of 13 (paid real money for the last one, because I feel like I should support the devs. I am enjoying the game after all icon_e_smile.gif )

So, here is my problem. I don't know how to build a roster. I have the following, and would appreciate advice on where to trim the fat.

1 Devil Dino, 7 3-star characters that I only have 1 cover for, then an assortment of 2 star characters with multiple covers. I've sold some 3-star covers in the past (Ragnarok and Daredevil), but I don't like selling 2 star characters to make space for the 3-stars, when ultimately I'll end up getting lots more 2-star characters again anyway. I think at this point I've used and sold Ares 3 times across maybe 10 covers. Same with Daken.

Not a single 2 star character is higher than level 40. Should I just sell off the 3 star characters I have and focus on building a good 2-star roster? I have 3-Star
    Thor,
    Cap,
    Mag,
    Psylocke,
    The Hood,
    Colossus,
    Human Torch.

If I was to cut that back to say 3, and focus on building 2-stars... who should I keep? Would I be mad to sell any more 3-Star characters? New roster slots isn't really an option.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Huge changes since this post... Notably, I've gotten a bunch of 3 star character just sitting with the timer counting down on them: Falcon yellowflag.png, Punisher redflag.png, Hulk blackflag.png Spiderman yellowflag.png and 4* IW blueflag.png . I'm now more confused than ever! Help me (Obi-Wan).

This was all thanks to great luck (3 top 3 finishes in Lightning Round).
  • vudu3
    Options
    You're in a tough situation for a F2P player. Your 2* characters are going to be infinitely more valuable than your 3* covers for the foreseeable future simply because you can get loads of 2* covers from PVP. That said, the longer you continue to sell 3* covers the more you delay your transition from a 2* to a 3* player.

Have you farmed all the HP rewards from the prologue chapters? If not, go back and nab as many as you can. You'll probably be able to afford a roster slot or two by doing that alone.

Once you've exhausted your prologue HP you need to decide whether you want to drop any real money to buy the remaining roster slots. Now's a good time to spend real money because of the 20% anniversary bonus. It ends today so you need to decide quickly if you want the bonus HP. If you don't/can't spend real money on the game then try pruning your 1* and 2* roster. For 1* characters you want to keep Juggs, IM35 and possibly mStorm and MBW. Ditch the rest. For 2* get rid of Bag-man, Moonstorn and Bullseye if you have them. If you have any really low-level 2* characters you might want to get rid of them too because they're not immediately usable to you and you can always get the back later. If you still need to sell 3* covers check out this guide in the first post and the last round of player rankings in the Character thread to decide who to keep and who to lose--I would recommend selling Spidey and IW if you have to.

Good luck!
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thank you so much NorthernPolarity! icon_e_biggrin.gif

I've been playing for 40 days according to my Daily Rewards & since Day 1 your guide has been a very strong support to make good decisions on choosing which covers to keep, which ones to sell for Iso-8, which characters to level up in priority and what events to concentrate on at each level.

The result is that after 5 weeks, I have a strong star.pngstar.png team nearing maximum level (Thor, Daken, OBW, Ares & Storm all around level 70 - 80) & now I can see my team doing a decent job in Season VII to get me even better rewards! icon_cool.gif

I also have a few half usable star.pngstar.pngstar.png heroes that I can't wait to develop in the next phase once my star.pngstar.png team is maxed out...

Anyway...thank you very much for taking the time the lay it all out there for the community...it is much appreciated!

P.S. Anyone out there looking for reliable tips on how to help you do better in this game, this guide is for you! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Daeft
    Daeft Posts: 20
    Options
    Though I've been lurking on these forums for months I have finally broken down and made an account. As my first post I wanted to say thank you Polarity (and everyone else for that matter) for the excellent advice I've received. You guys are awesome!
  • buffbeardo
    Options
    Just wanted to thank NorthernPolarity for this guide! Just joined this site recently, but I've been trolling since I first started playing months ago. This guide was critical in my saving iso I otherwise would have wasted and helped me focus on core characters for level one and two. Can't stress enough for any beginner to employ this resource when starting out!
  • vudu3
    Options
    Carnage_78 wrote:
    The result is that after 5 weeks, I have a strong star.pngstar.png team nearing maximum level (Thor, Daken, OBW, Ares & Storm all around level 70 - 80) & now I can see my team doing a decent job in Season VII to get me even better rewards!
    Wow--does it really only take 5 weeks to have a near-max 2* team? I think it took me at least twice that long if not three times as long. The 2* transition really sped up when they added 2* covers to the PVP prize drops.
  • Carnage_78 wrote:
    Thank you so much NorthernPolarity! icon_e_biggrin.gif

I've been playing for 40 days according to my Daily Rewards & since Day 1 your guide has been a very strong support to make good decisions on choosing which covers to keep, which ones to sell for Iso-8, which characters to level up in priority and what events to concentrate on at each level.

The result is that after 5 weeks, I have a strong star.pngstar.png team nearing maximum level (Thor, Daken, OBW, Ares & Storm all around level 70 - 80) & now I can see my team doing a decent job in Season VII to get me even better rewards! icon_cool.gif

I also have a few half usable star.pngstar.pngstar.png heroes that I can't wait to develop in the next phase once my star.pngstar.png team is maxed out...

Anyway...thank you very much for taking the time the lay it all out there for the community...it is much appreciated!

P.S. Anyone out there looking for reliable tips on how to help you do better in this game, this guide is for you! icon_e_biggrin.gif

so sorry to tell you 3 satr 166 is surrounded you. prepare to get bit to over 100 in PVP and pray to RNG god to get any single 3 star cover
  • I just wanted to say thank you for posting this guide. It is a really well written guide and is very informative.