Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Options

Comments

• Hey, thanks for the writing the guide. I made some newbie mistakes before reading it, and it's still a helpful resource a month in, which is pretty amazing.
  • Thanks for the guide. Wish I had read it earlier...I almost want to start over, but invested too much to do so!
  • djvkool
    Options
    Thank you for the guide, absolutely marvellous
  • after a rather long break i started again with MPQ and this guide provided me with all the necessary information concerning the various team compositions and tiers. thank you very much.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Still a really great guide for beginners!

I just leveled up my covered OBW for the New Scotland Yard event and I went from dead man walking, to chewing through 150 level goons with ease. I didn't understand her black passive ability so I dismissed her for more "active" toons (Ares, Mag, Storm is my favorite). Switching to OBW, Daken, Storm makes the event much easier!
  • alaeth wrote:
    Still a really great guide for beginners!

I just leveled up my covered OBW for the New Scotland Yard event and I went from dead man walking, to chewing through 150 level goons with ease. I didn't understand her black passive ability so I dismissed her for more "active" toons (Ares, Mag, Storm is my favorite). Switching to OBW, Daken, Storm makes the event much easier!
    Dude, her blackflag.png just rocks with strike tiles. You make a match, get the increase in damage then BOOOOOM, her black kicks in for a second damage like a double attack and also deals more damage with strike tiles.

Whats more, you could even just hunt bluetile.png at the start of a match, then use it and hunt some yellowtile.png for a sentry, even one yellowflag.png cover will do. He will not take real damage, it will be mitigated by her heal, then her black kicking in every match she does will deal

ahwaffles51a817f125583.jpg
  • This guide is AWESOME!! I wish I had come across it months ago. I would have avoided a lot of newbie mistakes. There have been a lot of new heroes since the last update in October. I hope you plan on updating it soon. Specifically, I'm interested in knowing if Blade and Mystique will make top tier and if they're worth pursuing hard and pouring iso into. Thank you so much!
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Updated the guide with Gamora, Blade, Mystique.

Updated She-Hulk, IM40, Psylocke, C. Marvs, Storm, GSBW sections now that I know more about them.
    GSBW promoted to mid tier - still terrible in PvP defense, but amazing in PvE and her purple / green skills can carry a team to victory.
    She-Hulk promoted to slightly playable tier - her red and high health pool are good enough for her to be marginally useful, despite her other one ability being situational (respite is not an ability).
    Psylocke has been demoted to almost unplayable tier: she can't carry a team with her damage output, and has been power creeped out of the game.

Need some help figuring out where 2* C. Marvs and Groot should go. Groot's weird because his abilities aren't the greatest, but true healing is. I have no idea how good C. Marvs is and where she fits in the 2* meta.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Need some help figuring out where 2* C. Marvs and Groot should go. Groot's weird because his abilities aren't the greatest, but true healing is. I have no idea how good C. Marvs is and where she fits in the 2* meta.
    2* Marvel is not a terrible Hood counter which is pretty big for 2*s; has an AoE in a rare colour (for 2*s), meshes well with, say, oBW/aWolvie or oBW/2* Torch or MMN/cStorm, also mHawkeye and 2* Daken because her yellow is pretty good for crit tile creation and I am reasonably sure transitioners use Team-Ups a lot, even the subpar ones, and she basically guarantees a ton of TUAP for 8 yellow. I have tried her both for TUAP generation in Juggernaut Heroic when Deadpool was locked out but I had Whale TUps and DP points; and against Hood in Meet Rocket & Groot when paired with mHawkeye; she did create nice crits I think. Her health pool is also 2nd highest behind Ares/2* Thor, same as Moonstone and 2* Cap who are not viable for PvP. She is at least a solid B-teamer for PvP I would imagine. Have maxed her as soon as I got full 3/5/5 covers.

Edit - ooh ooh and she combos very well with cMags and Grocket even if they have only one red/yellow cover I guess.
  • Thank you so much for the update Polarity! I think I speak for all MPQ players: you ROCK!!
  • groot is basically a PvE character. both his actives take quite long to trigger due to cost (specially if you want a mass destruction with green), but blue -> green do not sinnergize well (might end up destroying your tiles), so green -> blue is the only way to go. BUT on the other hand, not only he has true healing as its basically for free and is a board shaker. his high costs actually work well with his healing as he will take a ton of damage before using them just to then "come back to life".

hard countered by cMags (no heal for you! and a board shaker to destroy his strike tiles) and sighly less by storm (modern or mohawk yellow power and green to destroy the tiles). doom also counters hs blue with his own blue, making them all black and leaving no space to make his tiles.

another thing to note, his blue makes only basic blue tiles turn to strike tiles, so you might even end up eating all blue to trigger it and then have less than 4 tiles left (ive seen entire boards with no blue due to some hunting).
  • If GSBW, IM40, and 3* Storm are good in PvE (though terrible for PvP), how much iso should I pour into them to make them useful? 170,000 per character to get them to 166 is a lot to spend just for PvE. Is leveling them up to level 90-100 good enough to make PvE easier? If not, what level do I shoot for?
  • I have Sentry and Daken. Would you still consider Sentry top tier after the recent nerf?
  • Thank you for the work on this guide, and the recent update. I've benefitted greatly from it. Luckily, I read it very early so I hadn't made too many terrible decisions.

I was going to ask about the 2* Captain Marvel since I didn't see her listed, but then above I read your statement regarding her. I had dropped her, however in favor of Gamora.

The one thing I've probably done that will make it painful later, is drop characters to acquire 3*'s. I think I have like 5-7 that only have their first skill point. I've been hitting the pvp events hard and using all my credits for roster spots amd am up to 20 (which is probably way OP).

I still have a powers capped 1* Storm I still use quite a bit. She's 5/5/3 as recommended and lvl 45. Having her levelled up made it possible to build up my Wolverine and Thor 2*s. At what point do you think I should drop her, now that I have a few more damage and board clearing options? Or just hang onto her for now? I do have a 2 star version of her, but shes only 2/3/2 atm and lvl 46. Not sure if theres an event later that makes her invaluable, or even the grand scope of variations for pve/pvp stuff.

Mostly, thanks for the guide.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd say Ms Marvel is mid-tier. Compare her to Torchling since they share two colors. She can't dish out the damage that he can, but on the other hand she can take more damage herself. Active black skill is neat, but she suffers a bit from not having a big damage move herself. Supporting hitter sounds about right for her - she can complement other hitters well, but can't be your only source of damage on the team.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Minor update, moved the bottom tier list around, because Doc Ock is really that bad. Used to be Doc Ock -> Spidey -> Beast -> Rags -> Daredevil -> Loki, is now Spidey -> Rags -> Beast -> Daredevil -> Doc Ock -> Loki.
  • Hey guys I'm new to the forums and I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this question:

I was wondering if I should pump any more ISO into my 2* characters. I currently have Wolvie, Thor, Daken, Cap and HT maxed. I could get OBW, Magneto, MHawkeye and Storm to 94 as well but am wondering if it's worth it? The 2* to 3* transition has been very painful. My closest character right now is Psylocke who I can bump to level 102 and BP at level 91. I'm currently at day 87 from the daily resupply list,

PS: This guide has been immense for me as it really helped me to place some pieces together!
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Koko81 wrote:
    Hey guys I'm new to the forums and I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this question:

I was wondering if I should pump any more ISO into my 2* characters. I currently have Wolvie, Thor, Daken, Cap and HT maxed. I could get OBW, Magneto, MHawkeye and Storm to 94 as well but am wondering if it's worth it? The 2* to 3* transition has been very painful. My closest character right now is Psylocke who I can bump to level 102 and BP at level 91. I'm currently at day 87 from the daily resupply list,

PS: This guide has been immense for me as it really helped me to place some pieces together!

I think this depends on how close you are to having a usable Psylocke / BP: what do their cover distributions look like? The best course of action to take would probably be to think to yourself "okay, so if I do somehow get Psylocke / BP covered, would having these leveled 2*s still be useful, and if I do level these guys and get more BP covers, how much iso do I need in the bank to level them up to full?". For question 1, OBW seems amazing with Psylocke / BP, so she seems like a given. Mags / Storm are also the best PvE combo out there so they're probably good too. Depending on the amount of iso you have, I would definitely level those up if no BP covers are in sight. If you think we're due for some BP rewards or they're coming up, then I would save iso for when you get those covers. Same applies for Psylocke, but I don't really like her as a transition character anymore.
  • Given that Psylocke and Panther are both going into the Disney Vault at the end of the week, I think you will be hard pressed to get more covers for them before that time, unless you get lucky and are opening the tokens from the current PVE.

That being said, I cannot not say enough good things about OBW. Most people on here will tell you she's great with just about any 2* team and even as a part of a good number of 3* teams. Her with 5 black and anyone that creates attack tiles reliably is just insane. I've been able to have to her 1K in damage off a 3 match when paired with A.Wolvie, and thats unboosted...

I like Storm alot for the AOE damage and OBW helps to feed her. Mags pairs well with her too to feed her blue.

I like Hawkeye as well, probably more than most because Speedshot has saved me countless times, but maybe not a huge priority, depending on how covered he is. (MNMags and 2* Ms. Marvel pair well with him to increase the chances of Speedshot)

I have Mags, and even with the above combos I stated, I really dont enjoy playing him that much. But thats just me. More often than not it seems hes only there to create crits and feed blue, whereas I could put someone else in that has more versatility.
  • Clanseigh
    Options
    This post is what got me visiting the forums. Thanks for such an incredible guide--fortunately, I found it early and was able to limit the ISO I spent on standard draws to a few thousand. icon_e_biggrin.gif