Quicksilver Updates Coming Soon

Options

Comments

• Monged4life
    Options
    I don't use Quicksilver, and this update isn't going to make me start using him.... but that said, THANK YOU for making a start on balancing the 3*'s.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the other mediocre 3*s and 4*s
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I made a decision a long time not to roster the **** characters, as such, I have no QS. This will remain the case despite these announced changes. Unless the **** characters get buffed to the point where a player might choose to use them, instead of just being forced to use them occassionally, then its demonstrably not a buff.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Also, why is the minimum cost of Fists of Fury 5 AP and not 4 AP?

Easy answer. You don't want AI to pull a Vision, and keep spamming his powers to trigger Kamala's passive healing or Carnage black. 4 APs would be over the top.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    While I the changes aren't exactly blowing up my skirt, I'm very much encouraged that you folks are finally balancing out of the broken 3*. If you guys buff the hell out of Iron Man 40 I'll love you forever.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]we could make some substantial changes that would improve their effectiveness and make them more fun to use. For Quicksilver, we felt that he needed to be faster to better reflect his character in the Marvel Universe and make him stronger in the game.
    I've got to say mission not accomplished, if people can't even agree as to whether or not these changes in total represent a buff or a lateral move.
  • Cabol
    Cabol Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    That's cool that Quicksilver is getting a change to try and make him better...

BUT WHERE THE HELL IS A BUFF FOR 3* SPIDERMAN?!?!?!
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    But think of how amazing the new QS will be if you pair him up with Star-Lord.

Here's a question though. It says minimum 5. So would SL's yellow not be able to drop it below that? I'm curious

IIRC (as it's been ages since I tried), Star-Lord's yellow will lower the default costs of Quicksilver's blue/green, but will not lower their costs below their minimum adjusted AP cost of 5AP.

It should, though, in my opinion. I don't think the devs were actively trying to keep QS's moves from getting even cheaper, but it's probably just due to the way SL's yellow looks at an ability's baseline cost before applying the reduction, when it should really be applying it persistently across the board.

DEVS, it would be incredibly nice if this could be addressed/fixed before the QS changes go live - thanks! icon_e_smile.gif
  • It's already been said multiple times in the thread, but I've basically got a hero I would never use unless buffed or essential, and only grudgingly, who I will now use in precisely the same way, all the while being annoyed each time I don't get the critical tiles...

I'm far beyond being amazed or even affected by stuff like this, but D3 really just "buffed" a hero by removing existing abilities?

Again I say, you couldn't make this stuff up.

DBC
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    with QS (although a non-avengers version) being spotlighted in the new X-Men movie, it makes perfect sense to start the re-works with him. Loving the new skill set, and can start my re-spec tomorrow with DDQ giving his green!
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    But think of how amazing the new QS will be if you pair him up with Star-Lord.

Here's a question though. It says minimum 5. So would SL's yellow not be able to drop it below that? I'm curious

IIRC (as it's been ages since I tried), Star-Lord's yellow will lower the default costs of Quicksilver's blue/green, but will not lower their costs below their minimum adjusted AP cost of 5AP.

It should, though, in my opinion. I don't think the devs were actively trying to keep QS's moves from getting even cheaper, but it's probably just due to the way SL's yellow looks at an ability's baseline cost before applying the reduction, when it should really be applying it persistently across the board.

DEVS, it would be incredibly nice if this could be addressed/fixed before the QS changes go live - thanks! icon_e_smile.gif
    Well I don't have any screenshots, but I seem to remember trying SL + QS when I first got SL's 5th yellow, and firing QS's green for just 4 AP? Now all these comments upthread how it shouldn't work are making me very unsure about my memory. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kolence wrote:
    Well I don't have any screenshots, but I seem to remember trying SL + QS when I first got SL's 5th yellow, and firing QS's green for just 4 AP? Now all these comments upthread how it shouldn't work are making me very unsure about my memory. icon_e_confused.gif

Hm, now I'm not so sure either, and questioning my previous post! icon_e_confused.gif I'll try later tonight and confirm one way or the other.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just tried it.

Idle Hands currently has a min of 7. At 3 locked tiles, Everyone With Me out, but it still cost 8. So no change.

But...

Fist of Fury, when a min of 6, went down to with 3 locked tiles out.

So Fist of Fury can go below the "minimum" with Everyone With Me, but Idle Hands can't?
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    So Fist of Fury can go below the "minimum" with Everyone With Me, but Idle Hands can't?

That's expected. SL's Yellow doesn't reduce Black ability costs. Thank you for testing.
      Everyone With Me 7 yellowtile.png AP
      Star-Lord quickly pulls together a plan - or at least most of one. Places a 3-turn Countdown tile. While at least one such tile is on the board, all friendly Red and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 1.
      (Dev note: This is placed on a random Yellow tile)
        Level 2: Friendly Blue ability costs are reduced by 1. Level 3: Places a 4 turn Countdown tile. Friendly Green ability costs are reduced by 1. Level 4: Friendly Red, Blue, Green, Yellow ability costs are reduced by 2. Level 5: Places a 5 turn Countdown tile. Friendly Red, Blue, Green, Purple, and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 2.
    • scottee
      Options
      jojeda654 wrote:
      scottee wrote:

That's expected. SL's Yellow doesn't reduce Black ability costs. Thank you for testing.
        Everyone With Me 7 yellowtile.png AP
        Star-Lord quickly pulls together a plan - or at least most of one. Places a 3-turn Countdown tile. While at least one such tile is on the board, all friendly Red and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 1.
        (Dev note: This is placed on a random Yellow tile)
          Level 2: Friendly Blue ability costs are reduced by 1. Level 3: Places a 4 turn Countdown tile. Friendly Green ability costs are reduced by 1. Level 4: Friendly Red, Blue, Green, Yellow ability costs are reduced by 2. Level 5: Places a 5 turn Countdown tile. Friendly Red, Blue, Green, Purple, and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 2.

Oh right, that makes sense. I clicked on the countdown tile to check, but not the ability. Shows how much I use Starlord. (This actually might be the first time ever, besides his DDQ.)
      • scottee
        Options
        Also, people saying this isn't a buff are missing the point of it. QS's offense is completely predicated on setting off blue. These changes accelerate blue a bit, and make it a bit more powerful as well.

Just doing that test run to try to check Starlord's yellow, I accidentally let his blue go off twice, on a board I was having trouble finding blue on (to try to get 4 locked tiles to test this). Both times, at 3 locked tiles, the AI cascaded two matches to set it off.

Adding another locked tile on green and reducing AP costs definitely make him faster. I'd say setting off his passive 3 times in an even match would probably be normal, even without accelerators.

I could see a QS, SW, Iceman pairing being pretty sick.
      • CrookedKnight
        CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
        Options
        scottee wrote:
        Also, people saying this isn't a buff are missing the point of it. QS's offense is completely predicated on setting off blue. These changes accelerate blue a bit, and make it a bit more powerful as well.

Yeah, but QS isn't a **** character because his pre-buff blue is slightly too slow and slightly too weak. Marginally better than garbage is still pretty bad.
      • scottee
        Options
        scottee wrote:

Yeah, but QS isn't a **** character because his pre-buff blue is slightly too slow and slightly too weak. Marginally better than garbage is still pretty bad.

I didn't say he was good. I just said it's definitely a buff. Also, his main attack being a passive makes him kinda hard to balance. People were already using him for winfinite, so I can see them being careful of taking him too far.
      • TheOncomingStorm
        TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
        Options
        I promise you, high end players don't use qs blue for offense. They use primarily his black and green if there is not a better green outlet.

In the recent heroic pve, qs was my mvp. His blue was irrelevant. These changes don't affect the real usefulness of his blue. They hinder his green if a player is forced into using it.

If you want to see a true buff to qs that would make him used as much as fist, cage, hood, cyclops, etc. Revert him back to his original pre-nerf stats. Look at the original characer thread. Players were excited about the character as originally designed by mpq.
      • RoboDuck
        RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
        Options
        Doesn't look like a boost. Black got ****, blue is still nearly impossible to detonate, & green lost its crit.

Seems like QS is equally as useless as before. I'll have to fool around with him, but doesn't seem like an improvement.
      • tanis3303
        tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
        Options
        I guess I just really don't understand the point of this. There are dozens of topics that the player base has been complaining about for months, basic, seemingly simple quality of life things like: No 20 ISO until the 4/4 rewards are earned; A progression system NOT completely decided by blind luck; UI tweaks in the form of a +1 Level button, sell all 2*/3*/1* cover button; 4* PvP events (they exist, why are we not ever running them??) There's more, but you get my point. All this stuff that has players up in arms, but instead of working on that, they decide to spend time making relatively insignificant changes to a character that very few people ever use outside of times when they're forced to? Could this dev team be any more out of touch with their own game??