**** Nova (Sam Alexander) ****

Options

Comments

• Der_Lex wrote:
    Still hoping he'll turn up as 5* Nova Prime one day.
    Please, we need the Annihilators as 5*s. Which is funny because Beta Ray Bill is the perfect Thor for the 5* tier. Maybe Ronan could be a 4*, as he's the weakest of them, but still we need the whole team.
    For whoever doesnt knows, the Annihilators were a team composed by some of the strongest "rightful" beings: Silver Surfer, Quasar, Gladiator (the reason for que ""), Ronan and Beta Ray Bill. Team was formed after Star-Lord and Nova (the real one, Richard Rider as Nova Prime) kinda sacrificed themselves to keep Thanos in another crumbling universe (cancerverse), a team with such powerful beings was needed to fight the really huge threats to the universe, that was the Guardians job but without Peter it was kinda hard to do. This was the last cosmic event before the New Marvel kicked in with the new version of Peter (much less shady than the one present on pre-guardians phase, during the Annihilation and Phalanx arcs) and Thanos fled the cancerverse thanks to Richard sacrificing himself, using all his power to become a living portal back to the 616 universe. He loved Gamora.
    God I love the cosmic stuff.

purplecrit.pngpurplecrit.pngpurplecrit.png

Now on topic, can we have the Nova's numbers? He's being released in a couple days, wouldnt hurt to know ahead of time if hes worth the stress of another Florida sub.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wow, he looks... really dorky.

But I guess I got used to Carol Danvers' "I'm poopin'!" face... and he's sillier than but less creepy than Iceman.

Sounds like a fun character though. When it comes to cheap strike tiles, "Sometimes blow them up for tons of damage" is a drawback I can get behind.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Options
    I'll be posting the character stats tomorrow, I tried today/tonight but couldn't find the time. Sorry everyone!
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    I'll be posting the character stats tomorrow, I tried today/tonight but couldn't find the time. Sorry everyone!

Thanks for the update. Any update is appreciated, even if it's to say you won't be updating til tomorrow. Apology also adds to the level of appreciation, so thanks for that too.
  • Marvelfamily
    Options
    It's Nova. I'm glad it's not another Wolvie or Spider-Man... icon_lol.gif
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Why all the hate for Daken sob sob icon_cry.gif

For starters, the man has a mullet mohawk...
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    Finally got it up! Let me know if anything looks wrong, but he's fun to play. I do have to also put in some bad news about Nova, he has some bugs that will be fixed asap:
    Known Issues
    • Damage dealt by Nova's power Rocket Man is unaffected by Strike and Protect tiles. This will be addressed in R94.
    • There is a bug in the airborne functionality that shows an incorrect amount of turns being airborne. The amount of turns being airborne is one less than what is stated. As a result, Nova's power Rocket Man shows the enemy being airborne for three turns but it is actually only two turns, which is the intended amount. We are still investigating a fix this to issue.
    • Heroes will return from being airborne immediately on that player's next turn if there is only one hero left on that player's team. This will be addressed in R95.
    • The player will see the enemy Nova's Rocket Man power go off when the enemy Nova's power Taking Off changes to Rocket Man. This will be addressed in R94.
    • Nova's power Rocket Man can be used to send an invisible enemy airborne if they are the last hero on that players team. This will be addressed in R95
    • Airborne minions still generate AP for their team. This will be addressed in R94.

We apologize for the bugs and will fix them as soon as possible.

Cthulhu
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Can we get the additional numbers for "Rocket Man"? It's currently only showing Max Level 3
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Level 3: Stuns for 2 turns and deals 4518 damage
    Nova Blast - 7 yellowtile.png AP
    Inspired by fighting alongside the Avengers, Nova unleashes a holy of energy blasts from his hands. Deals 241 damage to the target and creates 1 Black Strike tile of strength 37 for each ally still in the fight.

I think you meant volley, not holy? =)
    Also, yellowtile.png for the tile, not the font colour desc.

Captain Nitpick...AWAAAYYY!
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Oh, Playtesters.......where art thou?

:+(
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Finally got it up! Let me know if anything looks wrong, but he's fun to play. I do have to also put in some bad news about Nova, he has some bugs that will be fixed asap:

We apologize for the bugs and will fix them as soon as possible.

Cthulhu

No problem, it will take most of us 3 or 4 months before we get enough covers to be viable! LOL, and I'm sure most people don't really care about the whales who will super whale him on day 1 of the Hunt.

lol
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    Jathro wrote:
    Can we get the additional numbers for "Rocket Man"? It's currently only showing Max Level 3

For that, his rocket man power doesn't go up unless he's max level, i'll fix it.

Cthulhu wrote:
    Level 3: Stuns for 2 turns and deals 4518 damage
    Nova Blast - 7 yellowtile.png AP
    Inspired by fighting alongside the Avengers, Nova unleashes a holy of energy blasts from his hands. Deals 241 damage to the target and creates 1 Black Strike tile of strength 37 for each ally still in the fight.

I think you meant volley, not holy? =)
    Also, yellowtile.png for the tile, not the font colour desc.

Captain Nitpick...AWAAAYYY!

Haha holy, whoops! Will fix that too.
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Oh, Playtesters.......where art thou?

:+(

Testers found these issues, we just couldn't fix everything in time for release, will fix as soon as we can.
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    Edit complete, let me know if I messed up anywhere else!

Cthulhu
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ok, so 5/5/5 is his best build, easy enough.
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    Another edit, I removed stunned from Rocket Man because technically the enemy is airborne and player is unable to attack the airborne character.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Initial impressions from on paper stats:

Red:
    Strong. Takeoff is a decent skill on it's own (assuming the level 5 version of creates 3 strikes is accurate). Rocket Man is on the other hand is great and puts Thing's red to shame. The damage and stun are both going to be excellent for the cost when you consider they get further boosted by the strikes on the board.

Yellow:
    Great. Another yellow damage dealing skill! I prefer this one to Venom's as I put a lot more value in strikes than I do pure damage. This skill's lingering damage through the strikes should easily justify the cost. You have to assume people will follow this up with Nova's red which means it'll be dealing 5100 damage and stunning for 2 turns for only 6 red AP more often then not.

Black:
    Average. 4 powerful strikes for 8 black AP is a below average value for this AP colour. More powerful strikes are great but it's clear that you'd rather have HB's black over this. As a finisher that requires jumping through hoops this skill also gives below average value. The damage is substantially lower than someone like Falcon and if used earlier in the match will really hurt your damage output going forward. This skill feels beautifully designed to me. It's giving the player 2 meaningful choices that are weaker than a single choice skill all while making both benefits good enough to still be relevant.

Initial Build:
    3/5/5 or 5/5/3
    I feel as though his yellow is a must have 5 and the other skills could vary based on preference and pairing. It's tricky because all 3 skills have great good jumps at the 5th colour. If Rocket Man's 4518 damage is static regardless of covers then 3/5/5 is the standout generic build.

Overall:
    Top tier.
    I freely admit that I value a strike tiles damage over time much higher than others. I considered Iron Fists green to be the best green spender in the game right up until the likes of JG, Iceman, and Rulk. With that in mind I love the quick fire nature of this character with substantial added match damage and skill damage for the rest of the match. I can easily see him being in the top 10 4*'s and he might even fall into the top 5 (above Cyke).

He'll pair extremely well with Iceman, Rulk, and Jean Grey. I'd personally lean towards Jean Grey since her green can generate attack tiles but Rulk is clearly the superior choice in pvp to deter hits. Iceman is great when up against enemy OML, Rulk or within PvE.

Edit: My post made a few assumptions which are still not completely clear. I assumed red was stun but it's been clarified that this is in fact airborne which is less useful. I'm also assuming red creates 3 strikes and black creates 4. I'm also assuming the damage on red doesn't change with covers.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Takeoff- 6 redtile.png AP
    Level 5: Creates 3 Black Strike tiles of strength 102.
    Max Level
      Level 5: Creates 2 Black Strike tiles of strength 198.
    Does level 5 Take Off create 2 or 3 strikes?
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Wow. That is one crazy fast character. My initial impression is 3/5/5 unless the damage for rocket man also scales up by covers (unclear right now) but holy ****, that black power. Firing off all 3 powers in succession does not look hard at all and would add up to over 18k. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.
  • grunzadin
    grunzadin Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Danger Zone - 8 blacktile.png AP
    Trying to impress his teammates, Nova increases his flight speed even further. If there are fewer than 5 friendly Black Strike tiles on the board, creates 3 Black Strike tiles of strength 37. Otherwise, Nova loses control and crashes into his enemy, converting all friendly Black Strike tiles to basic tiles and dealing 1751 damage.

Level Upgrades
      Level 5: Creates 4 Black Strike tiles of strength 114, otherwise deals 4169 damage.
    Max Level
      Level 5: Creates 3 Black Strike tiles of strength 221, otherwise deals 8119 damage.

3 or 4 strikes?
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My first impression is that a compromise build would be 4-5-4.
    I think strike tiles value is more important than damage value. Having all strike tiles at 184 and 198 is more reliable, rather than having 126.
    5 covers in yellow is a requirement. 4 in black is the compromise between good damage and good strike tiles, and hopefully 4 in red won't be to much of a damage loss.