**** Nova (Sam Alexander) ****

Comments

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    As much as everyone seems to think this is Nova, the powerset sounds a lot more like Green Goblin.
    Hobgoblin was one of the first ideas I had about the teaser hint. I saw a mention of Skaar (who I'd forgotten about since I've been out of touch with comics past the late 90s). Strike tiles don't make a lot of sense for a Hulk lineage character though, and there's no green color power, so I figure that's out. Cable sounds good too, with the one [natural] eye. Plus, he'd pair really well with Jean Grey. I mean, he's not literally her son. More like a nephew. Well, Cable or Hobgoblin make the most sense to me. I'd expect the "father" to actually be in the game already (even if not playable. #hurryupanmakenormanosbornplayable). Also hope there might be an introductory story?
    EDIT: Huh, could have sworn Harry played as Hobgoblin. Well, that's what I get for going by memory for my thoughts. And I forgotten about Legion, but I'd expect Legion to be Epic, along with Onslaught.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    1) Like father like son
    2) The colours match Old Man Logan

4* Daken confirmed

I thought of that at first, but it doesn't regen, which is of course a 'must have' for any wolverine, so I don't think it is him any more.

I think this is Harry Osborn - Green Goblin. The powers match him, can be like the different bombs and all the tricks goblin usually has.
  • Daken without his Heat drug problem? No, I think we get here....

Bucky Barnes - Winter Soldier!!

That would be sooo great... I nominated him at the survey!!

And Civil War is coming near...
  • jordanix
    jordanix Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    DarqFeonix wrote:
    Hmph, if this fits the "Like Father, Like Son" clue, I'd chalk it up to Cable, being the Same colors at 3* Scott, but the powers don't fit him.

This guy has the right of it. Although I do think the stun power set does actually match Cable.

Without getting into the convoluted story:
    Since Teen Jean can stun, I think it is not out of the question that <insert marvel back history here> that Nathan Summers could stun.

I could just be reaching though since I do hope it is Cable.
  • I can't believe nobody has guessed Sabretooth. The color scheme, the strike tiles, the clue. It fits.

Nova should be a 5*. Another possibility could be Spider-Woman which would not fit the clue obv but the powers and color profile fit as does the recent Spider themed releases.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Enslaved wrote:
    I can't believe nobody has guessed Sabretooth. The color scheme, the strike tiles, the clue. It fits.

Nova should be a 5*. Another possibility could be Spider-Woman which would not fit the clue obv but the powers and color profile fit as does the recent Spider themed releases.

Who is Sabertooth's father, and is he like his dad? I think not, because Sabertooth was an experiment of the X-Force. He doesn't seem to fit the bill. Maybe I don't know enough about him..
  • I can't see this being a new Daken as every member of the Wolverine family (Wolverine, X-23, Daken) has a Regenerative power, and this one does not.

Nova or Cable would be prime canidates for this. Cable had a teleport power (Bodyslide by One) and some telekinesis. (Weakened due to the technorganic virus that infected him.)

Harry Osborn probably not. I'd expect to see a Green Power for Green Goblin II, and I doubt they'd release the 2nd Green Goblin before releasing the first as a playable character.

I also doubt it would be Skaar for much the same reason as above: Every Hulk has a Green power, no Green on this one.

Phobos, might make sense, in the fact that his fear power would be used to stun, but I can't seem him creating Strike tiles. Phobos would be a character that might have multiple stun abilities to represent his fear powers. (One that might affect single targets, while the other would be against the whole team.)

Franklin Richards would be a 5*, so I doubt it's him. (When all the heroes died to defeat Onslaught, he saved them by creating an entire pocket universe.)

Shang Chi could be a possibility. His father was the villain Fu Manchu, and his cheap move sets and strike tiles would reflect the fast martial arts skills.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    D4Ni13 wrote:
    Enslaved wrote:
    I can't believe nobody has guessed Sabretooth. The color scheme, the strike tiles, the clue. It fits.

Who is Sabertooth's father, and is he like his dad? I think not, because Sabertooth was an experiment of the X-Force. He doesn't seem to fit the bill. Maybe I don't know enough about him..

In some of the Marvel universes, Sabertooth was Logan's father. In fact, the original writer had intended that to be the case in the main Marvel universe.

I made a bunch of guesses in the Patch Notes thread.
    Buret0 wrote:
    I'm guessing the father or son have to already be in game for this to count...

Phobos
    Harry Osborne (does an unfightable father count? Is Harry going to be like his dad and just appear in text???)
    Franklin Richards
    Cable
    Quicksilver (if you ignore current in universe)
    Odin
    Skaar
    Sabertooth (in some universes he is Logan's father, in others he is not)

Sam and Jesse Alexander aren't in MPQ, so I don't think we are getting a Nova

Phobos is Ares' son. Might not make sense for the son to appear so late after the father and to have 2*s between them, but I like the strike tiles as powering up their weapons.

1487775-1.jpg

Doesn't seem like the right color scheme for Goblin.
    If Franklin, he could get a nice boost when playing with MrF. All those strike tiles boosting damage might actually make his useless ball of mystery worthwhile.
    Cable hits fast, and the connection with 3Clops' colors is there. It wouldn't surprise me, since we've been asking for him. Which is why I'm certain this is another Daken, because why not have three versions of a B-list hero no one ever asked for? icon_e_smile.gif
    I don't see this being a Quicksilver color scheme, but the speed makes me wish this was it. Also the like father, like son comment ties him to Magneto, which isn't the current in universe father.
    Odin would be interesting, but I just don't think he's tied in to the current All New or has a major role in the MCU right now. I wouldn't put it passed the all-father to stun with a CD tile and then unleash damage.
    We have so many hulks that I get the feeling that the devs love that terrible Agents of SMASH show. I can totally see this being a Skaar.
    The colors fit for Sabertooth, as does his fit with OML. Could be him.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Shang Chi could be a possibility. His father was the villain Fu Manchu, and his cheap move sets and strike tiles would reflect the fast martial arts skills.

Great suggestion!!! The colors fit, and Shang Chi was an absolute badass in Hickman's recent Avengers run and the "Master of Kung Fu" Secret Wars tie-in.

portrait_incredible.jpg
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    zodiac339 wrote:
    EDIT: Huh, could have sworn Harry played as Hobgoblin. Well, that's what I get for going by memory for my thoughts.

Actually, the Ultimate version of Hobgoblin was Harry Osborn, for one storyline at least. Not the best version of the character, but it might have been what you were thinking of.

I would love to think that they wouldn't be dumb enough to add ANOTHER Daken to a game that only needed one, but these are the same people who released Black Suit Spidey less than a month after Miles Morales and Eddie Brock (Spider characters who both dress in black). so yeah, it's probably Daken (loooonnng sigh).

While I don't follow the book, I'd be happy with it being Nova, though those powers don't seem to fit.

I love the Shang Chi idea. That would be really welcome.

It's been mentioned before, but Baron Zemo might be a dark horse pick. Again, the powers don't really fit, but that character will be in the Cap America: Civil War movie (played by Daniel Bruhl), so there is cross-media reason to feature him. OF course, they've left him out of all the advertising, so Marvel may be hiding the importance of that character until the movie.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first thought was that cheap tile spam would be great for PX to buff... and then I saw the black ability.
  • Dwarfsteel
    Dwarfsteel Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Tatercat wrote:
    zodiac339 wrote:
    EDIT: Huh, could have sworn Harry played as Hobgoblin. Well, that's what I get for going by memory for my thoughts.

Actually, the Ultimate version of Hobgoblin was Harry Osborn, for one storyline at least. Not the best version of the character, but it might have been what you were thinking of.

I would love to think that they wouldn't be dumb enough to add ANOTHER Daken to a game that only needed one, but these are the same people who released Black Suit Spidey less than a month after Miles Morales and Eddie Brock (Spider characters who both dress in black). so yeah, it's probably Daken (loooonnng sigh).

While I don't follow the book, I'd be happy with it being Nova, though those powers don't seem to fit.

I love the Shang Chi idea. That would be really welcome.

It's been mentioned before, but Baron Zemo might be a dark horse pick. Again, the powers don't really fit, but that character will be in the Cap America: Civil War movie (played by Daniel Bruhl), so there is cross-media reason to feature him. OF course, they've left him out of all the advertising, so Marvel may be hiding the importance of that character until the movie.

Most people had Nightcrawler or Kitty Pride pegged for the last one. Only a couple I recalled guessed Black Suit Spiderman correctly. Colour set matches Nova (not that this is any true indication), hint matches Nova, move set? Well until they put better descriptors, it could be almost anyone… Cable is another one that seems to match well with what we have to go on so far.

However, like you said, I wouldn't put it past them to add another Daken… variants seem to be a dominant feature. Who knows… we could all be pleasantly surprised by something fresh we all didn't think of… or sadly disappointed…
  • thetimelord
    thetimelord Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    wymtime wrote:
    1) Like father like son
    2) The colours match Old Man Logan

4* Daken confirmed

If it is Daken or not this 4* will work with OML as well as X-23. Strike tiles everywhere!!!

It's definitely Old Man Daken. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • star29fish
    star29fish Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I think we're very close to building out the last member of this team...

TANADA-Image-001.png

We don't have that Iron Man *nitpick* icon_razz.gif

I have to agree they need a better 3* iron man.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    So, who is this Nova guy? Tell me about him. I've never read a comic featuring him.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    It's obviously 1* Wolverine.
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Funny, they told us we going to need protect tittle to face 5s, but the keep giving to us this full force-ofensive characters. Anway, this looks like Green Goblin, his redflag.pngyellowflag.png like "All weapons out, stand by" while his blackflag.png is "Fire!" thats what it look for me XD
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArcanaMoon wrote:
    Funny, they told us we going to need protect tittle to face 5s, but the keep giving to us this full force-ofensive characters. Anway, this looks like Green Goblin, his redflag.pngyellowflag.png like "All weapons out, stand by" while his blackflag.png is "Fire!" thats what it look for me XD

I would say Hobgoblin over green goblin. If only for this the green goblin really should have a green ability. Just saying.

Also if he is potentially Nova like others suggest shouldn't he put out some charge tiles? That feels like it would fit his power set in the comics.
  • This does not look like either Goblin at all. Both of the Goblins use their intelligence to craft technological weapons (blue powers) and Strike tiles are almost universally used in MPQ to represent physical slashing style attacks (Black Panther, Wolverine, Blade, Elektra ect)
  • Dwarfsteel
    Dwarfsteel Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Enslaved wrote:
    This does not look like either Goblin at all. Both of the Goblins use their intelligence to craft technological weapons (blue powers) and Strike tiles are almost universally used in MPQ to represent physical slashing style attacks (Black Panther, Wolverine, Blade, Elektra ect)

Not "really" true. There's probably just as many examples of characters who produce strike tiles that aren't slashing style attack related. Rocket & Groot, Ms. Marvel, Beast, Bullseye, etc. Can also be technologically related per R&G and Beast. Granted their's are blue powers, it wouldn't be the first time that a power has stepped out of the "norm".