*****Spider-Man (Back in Black)*****

Cthulhu
Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
edited July 2016 in Character Details
Spider-Man (Back In Black) icon_spiderman.png
5 Star Rarity (Legendary) Wiki Link
At Max Level: HP: 43529 Tile Damage: 81/74/639/497/568/68/4.0x
    Taek-web-do - 6 bluetile.png AP
    Spider-Man unleashes a vicious flurry of precision kicks and acrobatic flips, striking his enemy's weakest points. If Spider-Man is invisible, he deals 1419 damage to the target. Otherwise, he stuns the target for 1 turn and deals 133 damage.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: 1703 damage while invisible, otherwise 426 and stun for one turn. Level 3: 1987 damage while invisible, otherwise 718 and stun for one turn.. Level 4: 2270 damage while invisible, otherwise 1011 and stun for one turn. Level 5: 2554 damage while invisible, otherwise 1303 and stun for one turn.
    Max Level
      Level 3: 6241 damage while invisible, otherwise 2252 and stun for one turn.. Level 4: 7133 damage while invisible, otherwise 3169 and stun for one turn. Level 5: 8024 damage while invisible, otherwise 4087 and stun for one turn.

Automotive Artillery - 14 greentile.png AP
    Spotting his target in the distance, Spider-Man grabs a nearby parked car and hurls a 2 ton fastball at his opponent. Deals 2123 damage to the target enemy, ignoring the effects of any Protect tiles, and stuns a random enemy for 2 turns.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: 2123 Damage and stuns a random enemy for 3 turns Level 3: 2919 Damage and stuns a random enemy for 3 turns Level 4: 2919 Damage and stuns a random enemy for 4 turns Level 5: 3848 Damage and stuns a random enemy for 4 turns
    Max Level
      Level 3: 11734 Damage and stuns a random enemy for 3 turns Level 4: 11734 Damage and stuns a random enemy for 4 turns Level 5: 15468 Damage and stuns a random enemy for 4 turns

Shadowy Acrobatics - 0 purpletile.png AP
    (PASSIVE) Peter darts through the shadows, using his foe's confusion to disappear completely. Enemy Strike tiles add 45% less damage (to a minimum of 1). While at least one enemy is stunned, Spider-Man is invisible.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Enemy strike tiles add 55% less damage (to a minimum of 1) and while one enemy is stunned Spider-Man is invisible Level 3: Enemy strike tiles add 65% less damage (to a minimum of 1) and while one enemy is stunned Spider-Man is invisible Level 4: Enemy strike tiles add 75% less damage (to a minimum of 1) and while one enemy is stunned Spider-Man is invisible Level 5: Enemy strike tiles add 100% less damage (to a minimum of 1) and while one enemy is stunned Spider-Man is invisible

Comments

• Marc_Spector
      Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
      Looks good! FYI, Cthulu, the subject line incorrectly specifies this as a **** character when it should say ***** (both now and in the character preview earlier)
    • Cthulhu
      oh!!! thank you, i will update that now!
    • Cthulhu
      Guess that means i messed up the preview coming soon character too! Sorry about that.
    • 5/3/5, screw you strike tiles.
    • CrookedKnight
      CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
      Nitpick number two: Taek-web-do lists its max level damage rather than level 255 damage for the first cover.
    • lukewin
      lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
      Cthulhu wrote:
      Guess that means i messed up the preview coming soon character too! Sorry about that.

I actually thought it was intentional so that you wouldn't be making the announcement of the 5*. You should probably double check on this, wouldn't want you getting in trouble for posting the correct preview but spoiling the announcement of a 5*.
    • hello as the resident wiki nerd i'd like to point out that we typically format the character pages with their subtitles in brackets, eg Spider-Man (Back In Black)

ok anyway thanks for the rest of the info byyyyye
    • By the way, for people who are curious, he's got higher match damage than Wolverine and slightly higher HP than him and Jean, but not as high as Silver Surfer.
    • babinro
      babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
      edited January 2016
      Initial impressions from on paper stats:

Blue:
      Below Average. Looking at this character from a 5* tier perspective it's hard to get impressed by a skill that does 4000 damage and one turn stun. Especially with health pools above 40,000 and each other character having built in healing. The conditional damage is on par with Silver Surfer's red which already feels low for 5* tier play. The only thing keeping this ability from being downright poor is the synergy with OML's red passive and the fact that it's theonly active damage skill in 5* tier play.

Green:
      Good. This skill delivers good damage and an impressive stun. The random nature of the stun means that players will be struggling to decide whether they optimize damage or lock down the last target given how long it takes to gather 14 green. Ignoring the effects of protect tiles is largely pointless in the current game but that could make this skill more valuable as new 5*'s are released.

Purple:
      Amazing! The current 5*'s meta is all about strike tiles. OML's black strikes, red passive, and Phoenix's red strikes feel essential for overcoming high health and true healing of 5* tier. Reducing all of these things to 1 damage is HUGE in terms of buying time to gather AP and finish off your opponent.

Initial Build:
      3/5/5 of 5/3/5
      The blue damage is mediocre and scales rather poorly. The difference between 3 covers 6241 damage and 5 covers 8024 damage is little more than a typical tile match.

The most compelling reason to go 5/3/5 is for speed reasons. It's entirely possible 14 green is too cost prohibitive to rely on and will therefore collect dust until the end of the match (assuming it fires at all). If this skill is only being used against one player or a near death team then the difference between 3-5 covers is minimal.

Overall:
      Mid-Tier. This character pairs naturally with OML and will make facing enemy OML's and Phoenix's VERY easy. Offensively speaking I'd rather use OML/Phoenix but defensively speaking I'd be more inclined to skip an enemy team with Spider-Man more than any other 5*.

It'll be interesting to play a 5* with absolutely no self healing. Actual hands on with Spider-Man could make him the worst 5* because of his lack of sustainability. His match damage is HUGE so he'll be tanking green, blue, and purple when paired with OML and Phoenix if all levels are equal. He tanks over Surfer blue as well.

Current 5* Ranking:
      1) OML
      2) Phoenix
      3) Spider-Man
      4) Silver Surfer
    • Cthulhu
      Thank you, fixed base damage being from a max character for Taek-web-do!
    • babinro wrote:
      Note: Spider-Man's TU match damage is ONLY 68. I'm genuinely curious if this was a posting error since the others have this match damage in the hundreds. I'm inclined to think it's supposed to be 368 which would have him tanking TU's above other 5*'s as well.

That isn't TU damage, it's black damage.
    • Does anybody else think it's weird that Back in Black Spidey has a blue power but not a black power? I wouldn't want to mess the synergy with OML but still...
    • Dayv
      Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
      I'm going to disagree with babinro and say 5/5/3 for best build. There's a lot of time that strike tiles aren't in play at all, and reducing them by 65% when they are is still a huge win. 5/5/3 maximizes damage output, and that's still the name of the game for almost all characters.
    • Buret0
      Buret0 Posts: 1,591
      Too bad all of the good stuns are blue, so that kills the team synergy he could have had with invisibility. You need to drop all the way to SW to get a decent multi-turn stun out of another purple... Thing's red isn't going to cut it and having a 3* in a 5* fight is like bringing a spoon to a gun fight. Having to get to 14 green in order to make his invisibility last is going to make this a weaker character. Otherwise you need to save up way too much blue to get the doublecast.

Nullifying strike tiles an extra 35% isn't worth it. You should give him a true healing ability while he is invisible at the higher cover levels on purple or extend the stun effect of blue and green by one turn if you have max covered purple.

The AI is going to be terrible at playing this character.

No battery, no mode switching, terrible synergy on his invisibility, no protect tiles (to make ignoring protect tiles at the 5* level worthwhile), a high cost active ability with a GD random stun... I give the implementation of this new 5* a D+.
    • Well there goes all of the excitement at a potential 4* Nightcrawler... instead we get a character they just released 2 releases ago, and with an extra star so I'll probably never see him anyway.
    • fight4thedream
      fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,905 Chairperson of the Boards
      Just some questions regarding clarification of abilities:

For Automotive Artillery: Will the random stun aspect of this ability suffer the same issue as with Scarlet Witch's Reality Crush where the stun occurs first before the damage is dealt, potentially causing the target of attack to be stunned first before going down? (essentially wasting the stun ability)

Shadowy Acrobatics: Will stunning an enemy produce an invisibility tile which will remain after the enemy recovers from stun or is this a new invisibility mechanic where once the enemy recovers from stun and there are no stunned enemies, Spider-man becomes visible again?

Hopefully Automotive Artillery avoids the Reality Crush problem and Shadowy Acrobatics isn't wholly reliant on stuns, otherwise I will be 100% convinced either Norman Osborn or J. Jonah Jameson is secrectly funding this company. Just sayin.
    • Phaserhawk
      Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
      Just some questions regarding clarification of abilities:

For Automotive Artillery: Will the random stun aspect of this ability suffer the same issue as with Scarlet Witch's Reality Crush where the stun occurs first before the damage is dealt, potentially causing the target of attack to be stunned first before going down? (essentially wasting the stun ability)

Shadowy Acrobatics: Will stunning an enemy produce an invisibility tile which will remain after the enemy recovers from stun or is this a new invisibility mechanic where once the enemy recovers from stun and there are no stunned enemies, Spider-man becomes visible again?

Hopefully Automotive Artillery avoids the Reality Crush problem and Shadowy Acrobatics isn't wholly reliant on stuns, otherwise I will be 100% convinced either Norman Osborn or J. Jonah Jameson is secrectly funding this company. Just sayin.

The stunned character is your invisibility tile, so no nothing on the board.

I'm assuming AA will do the same as Reality crush, although Khamal interrupts the ability and allows damage to go through, then the stun so you can always pair him with her icon_e_smile.gif

The problem is that they have the game coded as stun/damage. This is fine when you dont' kill someone, and works to your advantage if you are facing Hulk, Cap Marvel, as they get stunned first and won't trigger the tile.

I wish they would code it damage/stun though as it makes more sense,
    • GrumpySmurf1002
      GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
      Given the colors, abilities, and scaling across covers, it doesn't look like he'll have much utility at low levels. Much like SS and to a lesser extent Jean.

Estimating what Spidey will look like at level 330-345 (5-6 covers) Iceman's damage on blue and green both laps him pretty badly. Obviously the match damage and health is there so there's that.

I know it's the argument of a bad 5* is still insane compared to the 4* tier, but when covers are hard to get, you'd like him to be more usable at a low level.
    • Admittedly I skimmed down this topic, but has anyone queried if this guy can be used with Venom? Surely the Mjolnir logic applies?

I'm not up to date on the comic but definitely originally they were the same symbiote. Are they different symbiotes now?
    • Phaserhawk
      Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
      Both the cover and the suit for the character is after the Civil War in Marvel comics. It is not the symbiote, but rather just a black suit to represent spiderman's anger and serious side. So yes, venom would work