POLL: Should Championing Start at Max Level, or 13 Covers?

Comments

• Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Malcrof wrote:
    Has to be max level, no point otherwise. Remember the cover levels your character, so who in their right mind would use a 500 or 1k iso cover for a 300iso level....

Max level makes the most sense.. even though i need millions of iso, i 100% agree they did it right.

Just make the champion levels separate. When you have a 4* at 5/5/3, level 200 and you add 5 covers, it would be a level "200+5" character. They'd function just like a level 205, but would still leave 70 iso levels to gain.

It's too late for that now, though. The devs will never change it.

Yet another standard MPQ feature. Good idea, destroyed by terrible implementation.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:
    Tatercat wrote:
    As for hurting soft cappers, I'm ambivalent about it. Soft capping IS necessary sometimes, I'm doing it right now with my growing 4* roster until I've got enough covers to safely take a few as a group above 200 lvl. But some abuse it, doing it across the board for their roster. But that's more a fault of the game structure itself, can't blame someone for taking advantage of the system. Maybe this will address that, I don't know. And from the comments here, it sounds like veteran soft-cappers could use a change of strategy, anyway.
    I never saw doing it across the board as abusing it. I like the game, I like playing with a diverse cast of characters. I would rather have 40 120's than 4 166's, because I don't feel like having to play with the same team over and over. I guess I was doing it wrong.

If that's what keeps the game fun for you, then seriously, more power to you. I like diversity too, even the Heroic events, for that very reason. And even though they are still some of my best characters, I avoid using IF and Cage because I got tired of relying on them, so I get that too.

I am curious, if you don't mind answering: how many 4*'s do you have and how often do you actually use them? I know most aren't really effective at 120 (with a few exception for support focused ones), so the 3*'s and some 2*'s must look more attractive in most fights.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Massive upfront charge? You get free respecs with it. Why must people find an issue with every single thing. It's a one time cost and it isn't even that expensive. If you can't afford it then you obviously are doing something wrong.
  • I want a separate option. I would like to use covers on max covered characters to just give them a regular level. It still gets people to level characters they likely wouldn't have leveled anyway and, at worst, it saves players iso as they try to max level a character so they can champion it.
  • Raffoon wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Has to be max level, no point otherwise. Remember the cover levels your character, so who in their right mind would use a 500 or 1k iso cover for a 300iso level....

Max level makes the most sense.. even though i need millions of iso, i 100% agree they did it right.

Just make the champion levels separate. When you have a 4* at 5/5/3, level 200 and you add 5 covers, it would be a level "200+5" character. They'd function just like a level 205, but would still leave 70 iso levels to gain.

It's too late for that now, though. The devs will never change it.

Yet another standard MPQ feature. Good idea, destroyed by terrible implementation.
    I would only be OK with that if additional levels had the increased ISO cost. So a 140 lvl character and a 100+40 character would cost the same amount of ISO to take to 141 / 101+40.
  • jobob wrote:
    thanos8587 wrote:
    no one would say youre doing it wrong, but if youve got 40 guys at 120 and 3 million iso stored because you want to grind pve easier, then no one here will feel bad that you cant champion your characters. thats the point of the poll i believe.
    Nah, I have no ISO stored up.

I made the poll... that wasn't my point. My point was that it would be nice if the people who spread out their ISO got a bump in benefits from duplicate covers as well, and not just the people who maxed one, then onto the next, the onto the next, etc.

If you look at my roster in-game, you'll see that there's a ton of ISO sunk into it, but only a handful of maxed characters (I only have about 40k in the bank, definitely no 3 million, haha)

i really wasnt speaking to you specifically, but speaking about the intentional softcappers who will generally have a large iso bank they refuse to commit. if youre leveling your roster evenly (which most people recommend) and have an iso shortage and cant champion yet, all i can say is that youll get there, because i was in your spot as well. those people who have less than a handful of 3*s maxed out of the 40 arent really going to see an immediate rush benefit anyway, because theyre going to need those specific covers in quantity and that just doesnt happen in this game (outside of a significant $$$ drop) or being a top player in a top alliance and getting significant amounts of tokens and covers, and those guys dont have their rosters capped at 120 anyway.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is no option for "the new feature is fine as it is" and therefore this poll is biased to there being a problem with the new feature. Essentially you're inviting people to oppose a new feature that may not have any problems with it. This is troll baiting/flame baiting. No warning will be issued, but I have added an option to the poll.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    There is no option for "the new feature is fine as it is" and therefore this poll is biased to there being a problem with the new feature. Essentially you're inviting people to oppose a new feature that may not have any problems with it. This is troll baiting/flame baiting. No warning will be issued, but I have added an option to the poll.

Isn't that the first option? Or is it the "should" that's the problem?
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Tatercat wrote:
    If that's what keeps the game fun for you, then seriously, more power to you. I like diversity too, even the Heroic events, for that very reason. And even though they are still some of my best characters, I avoid using IF and Cage because I got tired of relying on them, so I get that too.

I am curious, if you don't mind answering: how many 4*'s do you have and how often do you actually use them? I know most aren't really effective at 120 (with a few exception for support focused ones), so the 3*'s and some 2*'s must look more attractive in most fights.
    My 4* roster is heavily covered, and I use them all a good bit:

230 - IMHB 5/5/3 ... Primary character for tough PVP/PVE teams
    230 - Iceman 5/5/2 ... Primary character for tough PVP/PVE teams
    220 - Jean Grey 5/3/5 ... Primary character for tough PVP/PVE teams
    210 - XFW 5/5/3 ... Use regularly, like to pair with Hood, MNMags, or when I'm short a black user
    205 - GT 5/3/5 ... Use regularly in PVE
    190 - Carnage 5/3/5 ... Use a good bit, fun with Ant-Man or 2 self-healers
    190 - SamCap 3/5/5 ... Use a lot in low-level PVE to buff Daken or IF quickly
    180 - Cyclops 5/2/5 ... Use regularly, great self-sustaining damage dealer
    170 - Devil Dino 5/3/5 ... Use a decent bit, like to combo with KK, OML, or PX who fire automatically due to his super-cheap abilities
    170 - Kingpin 5/3/5 ... Use a decent bit, due to his Y/Bk/P actives
    170 - Fury 5/5/3 ... Don't use as much as I used to,
    170 - X23 5/4/4 ... Use a decent bit, paired with Daken for her purple, and to save Health packs
    170 - Deadpool 3/5/4 - Fun character, I throw him in regularly in high-level PVE for his black
    170 - Mr F 5/1/5 - Rarely use
    160 - Ant Man 3/5/5 - Use a good bit for mid-level PVEs and against specific opponents. Super-fun character who takes a lot of planning, but isn't quick or on the same level of effectiveness as top 4*s.
    160 - Prof X 5/3/5 - Use for the occasional mid-level PVE winfinite when I need to clear fast, or with characters who tank for him and have cheap actives (like DD)
    160 - Rulk 3/2/5 - Don't use him much, need some covers
    155 - Thing 4/3/2 - Don't use him much, need some covers
    150 - Elektra 5/3/5 - Used a fair amount in multi-round PVE's... like to pair her with Patch
    150 - Star Lord 5/4/4 - Used sparingly
    130 - GR 4/3/4 - Use a decent bit, especially against someone like a buffed Juggs who is devastated by his black
    120 - IW 3/5/5 - Used sparingly, sometimes pairing with QS
    120 - Cho 5/0/2 - Only used in features so far
    106 - Venom 0/0/3 - Only used in features so far
    70 - Miles 0/0/1 - Only used in features so far

So it's not like I wouldn't consider myself a vet, or that I'm not well into the game. Ant-Man and SamCap are two of my favorites to use, I just never planned on taking them to max level. But there's enough ISO in that roster to make a max level 4* I am sure (maybe even a couple?). I do have 9 maxed 3*, but for the most part it looks about the same. Same story with my 1 maxed 2*... and I think most people would agree I am past the 2* - 3* transition.

jobob is my name in-game also, so you can see my roster (Star Force is the alliance)
  • jobob wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    A more complicated calculus would invite ridiculous amounts of quibbling, whereas with this I can look at my underleveled char and either say "nope" or get to leveling.
    I understand your point, and I would be completely fine with the system as it is, if only there was a nice bump in sale price of 3* and 4* covers, to help make up that ISO to get you to the point of championing.

Wouldn't that DISCOURAGE Championing?

I mean people are already going "Championing will not make up for the Iso that I need, and would get by just selling the covers"

Wouldn't making the covers worth more lead to even more iso-hungry people not championing at all?

(Not that an Iso boost isn't needed... I'd just do it Every Way But This for right now)
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    I want a separate option. I would like to use covers on max covered characters to just give them a regular level. It still gets people to level characters they likely wouldn't have leveled anyway and, at worst, it saves players iso as they try to max level a character so they can champion it.

And those of who already spent the 40k(ish) ISO the soft-cappers saved? Will we get 70% of that rebated to us? Surely, you can see how that plan would be unfair.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the first option isn't "the feature is fine as it is", I need an explanation as to how it's different.
  • jobob
    edited January 2016
    EDIT. Cool.
  • JamieMadrox
    Apparently I am blind and/or dumb today. Disregard my inability to understand common English. I will re-edit the poll to remove my mistake. Carry on.
  • jobob
    Apparently I am blind and/or dumb today. Disregard my inability to understand common English. I will re-edit the poll to remove my mistake. Carry on.
    No worries, thanks for saying so. I don't mind the option being added, I just recoiled a bit at being accused of trolling/baiting.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I don't even understand what's being asked for. If you've intentionally softcapped your rosters, and the whole point of championing is to raise characters beyond their current max level, what exactly are you looking to do?
    I was wondering this as well. I guess you could start to unlock the champion rewards?
    Get benefits without corresponding costs?
    jobob wrote:
    Get additional value out of unneeded covers.
    The championing progression rewards are tied to the characters level. Eg, for a 3*, the first one is at lv 167. The progression table can't start at anything less than that when most people DO max their characters. That'd be like adding one-time-only exclusive daily rewards that start at Day 100.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    One of the main pluses that the devs gave in the interview is that RNG would give people useless covers and they wouldn't be happy with it. Requiring people to be max level does NOT solve that problem. The covers will still be useless for a non maxed character. RNG still can suck the life out of a person just as much as before. This only helps whales that have ISO maxed every character already.
  • JamieMadrox
    notamutant wrote:
    One of the main pluses that the devs gave in the interview is that RNG would give people useless covers and they wouldn't be happy with it. Requiring people to be max level does NOT solve that problem. The covers will still be useless for a non maxed character. RNG still can suck the life out of a person just as much as before. This only helps whales that have ISO maxed every character already.
    Except the covers are not useless. They're still worth ISO if sold. They just can't be used to champion people.
  • jobob
    notamutant wrote:
    Except the covers are not useless. They're still worth ISO if sold. They just can't be used to champion people.
    Right, but I think his point was that they are no more useful now than they were before, so the problem of people getting a cover whose ONLY use was to be sold hasn't been addressed for anything other than a maxed out character. Regardless of how well the rest of the system works, I do kind of think that aspect sucks.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    notamutant wrote:

Not completely useless, just mostly useless.

Without the character maxed, equally as useless as before when people complained they were useless.

With the character maxed, admittedly more useful.