Speed Evil - Lightning Rounds 2/18/2014

Options

Comments

• over_clocked
    Options
    Some tinykitty attacked my lvl 18 Mags with their lvl 50+, enjoy your covers, old sport, that's the way to play.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was the one who got 2nd place and that was really really close. I only got 2nd because 3 or 4 people impaled themselves on me near the end and gave me points for free. I'm really happy since I really wanted that Red cover. I'm now at 5 blue, 2 red and 5 purple. Just one more red to go. Actually I kinda got confused near the end and thought that 1st place was Wolvie and 2-5 were enough for the red cover. Had looked at the other PvP tourney by accident. That made me shield 5 minutes before the end when I really shouldn't have. Luckily it worked out.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Some tinykitty attacked my lvl 18 Mags with their lvl 50+, enjoy your covers, old sport, that's the way to play.

What were your other heros? What about theirs?

And yes, beating up people in your MMR bracket IS the way to play.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    KaioShinDE wrote:
    I was the one who got 2nd place and that was really really close. I only got 2nd because 3 or 4 people impaled themselves on me near the end and gave me points for free. I'm really happy since I really wanted that Red cover. I'm now at 5 blue, 2 red and 5 purple. Just one more red to go. Actually I kinda got confused near the end and thought that 1st place was Wolvie and 2-5 were enough for the red cover. Had looked at the other PvP tourney by accident. That made me shield 5 minutes before the end when I really shouldn't have. Luckily it worked out.
    I'm pretty sure you're the one who attacked me. lvl 85 Wolverine lvl 85 oBW and lvl 50+ Magneto?
  • KaioShinDE
    Options
    locked wrote:
    KaioShinDE wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you're the one who attacked me. lvl 85 Wolverine lvl 85 oBW and lvl 50+ Magneto?

My Magneto was 97, but I was using Wolvie/OBW yeah. I'm sorry, if it was me, but I didn't have much choice in my bracket. Bunch of mid level Magnetos with OBW/Thor or people with all 100+ 3* teams.
  • Anyone else noticed a guy with 141 mags was still fighting for top place? What a champ. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • over_clocked
    Options
    KaioShinDE wrote:
    locked wrote:
    KaioShinDE wrote:

My Magneto was 97, but I was using Wolvie/OBW yeah. I'm sorry, if it was me, but I didn't have much choice in my bracket. Bunch of mid level Magnetos with OBW/Thor or people with all 100+ 3* teams.
    So you choose a much weaker team when you actually have choice? Hmm.
    MarvelMan wrote:
    locked wrote:

What were your other heros? What about theirs?

And yes, beating up people in your MMR bracket IS the way to play.
    I purposely tanked my MMR a bit because it was getting out of control, so I got surprised when a person with an inadequately better roster attacked me. I would have retaliated successfully if I have gone the safe Spidey way, alas. Would have loved to kick those 30 or so points off. Shields or not.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    You really should have left the Mag red to someone who needed it.....

Anyway, LR is now officially over.

The las Mag round had this really bloody inconsiderate guy by the name of MANHOOD. He has a capped Mag, 141 3/5/5 Mag. Yet he still fought all the way to top place. He must have really needed the 75 hp. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway. Rango, are you related to this RanSolo guy?

I'm not going to try and 'carefully' underscore myself to get top 8 but not top 2. That's a recipe for disaster given how volatile the top spots are in LRs. Two defeats and you're suddenly swapping from top 8 to top 50. Take solace in that I won't be gunning for any late night Mag runs in the future bar 5 seed team wins for some fast ISO. If I need to respec, they're adding that feature, and I've still got reds in the cache.
  • locked wrote:
    So you choose a much weaker team when you actually have choice? Hmm.

Yeah, what was he thinking. We should always attack the infinitely stronger enemy that we have no chance of winning. :p
  • over_clocked
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:
    Anyone else noticed a guy with 141 mags was still fighting for top place? What a champ. icon_rolleyes.gif
    I noticed soenottelling fighting in one of the rounds despite having the maxed villain; he was iso farming or something, he tanked afterwards. But many people indeed are 'building' their secondary villains despite already having a maxed one, can't believe those first world MPQ problems exist when respec is due, lol. Can't complain on my side too much, got 3 green covers I lacked today: Thor, Hulk, IW, also 1 red for Ares, 1 red for Mags, 1 purple Moonstone. Now to farm a metric ton of ISO!
    Meh, I just dislike it a lot when people attack weaker teams despite having choice. It would be like beating Prologue over and over again for me.

There is difference between 'comparable', 'obv. weaker', 'obv. stronger'. I think most players know it. Personally opt not to fight obv. weaker teams often, sometimes my brackets just suck too hard.
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    locked wrote:
    mechgouki wrote:
    Anyone else noticed a guy with 141 mags was still fighting for top place? What a champ. icon_rolleyes.gif
    I noticed soenottelling fighting in one of the rounds despite having the maxed villain; he was iso farming or something, he tanked afterwards. But many people indeed are 'building' their secondary villains despite already having a maxed one, can't believe those first world MPQ problems exist when respec is due, lol. Can't complain on my side too much, got 3 green covers I lacked today: Thor, Hulk, IW, also 1 red for Ares, 1 red for Mags, 1 purple Moonstone. Now to farm a metric ton of ISO!
    Meh, I just dislike it a lot when people attack weaker teams despite having choice. It would be like beating Prologue over and over again for me.

There is difference between 'comparable', 'obv. weaker', 'obv. stronger'. I think most players know it. Personally opt not to fight obv. weaker teams often, sometimes my brackets just suck too hard.

It's a lightning round, which means it's all about speed. So if someone can get a quick win, you can bet they will do it. That's part of how LRs go. Not to mention saving the time spent skipping. If you have a lvl18 Mags and want covers, imagine how bad someone with a lvl50+ mags wants those covers so they can actually have him in their normal lineup.
  • KaioShinDE
    Options
    locked wrote:

I totally understand that, the current system just makes it difficult. It's the same problems that leads to the need for tanking. To get a top spot you need tons of points (and in LRs, fast), but once your MMR is high, every single fair or hard fight is risking death or at least the need for health packs. While low MMR players can just fight match after match on auto pilot and amass easy points. In the end I have to work within the system, so I tank prior to tourneys I want to place high in and then fight whatever the system offers me that is comfortably doable. I'll look out for your name next time and avoid you if I see you with a weak team again. Feel free to gank me into oblivion if you encounter me again.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    mechgouki wrote:

The las Mag round had this really bloody inconsiderate guy by the name of MANHOOD. He has a capped Mag, 141 3/5/5 Mag. Yet he still fought all the way to top place. He must have really needed the 75 hp. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not going to try and 'carefully' underscore myself to get top 8 but not top 2. That's a recipe for disaster given how volatile the top spots are in LRs. Two defeats and you're suddenly swapping from top 8 to top 50. Take solace in that I won't be gunning for any late night Mag runs in the future bar 5 seed team wins for some fast ISO. If I need to respec, they're adding that feature, and I've still got reds in the cache.

I have all my villians complete, but I still play the LR's religiously for progression/ISO. There have few times this week alone that I have "accidentally" placed. I typically stop at ~100, but there are times where I've been shoveled enough seed teams or quick fights that I keep going. I'm not going to pass up that easy ISO. On top of that, I've been seeing a lot more gains from wins after stopping (even with a 15 villian, 70 Ares, 6 Bagman tank team).

Granted, I would never accidentally find myself in the #1 slot, but if this guy wants to win and is capable, he deserves to -- regardless of his current roster. These unbracketed events are the most honest competitions we have going on. I rather lose to someone who didn't the reward I was gunning for than lose to someone running a level 30 team.
  • WOOT I GOT A HOOD YELLOW FROM A DIABOLICAL!!!!.

Now my hood is just one yellow away from completion. Heard he is in loginrewards 120. Oh well just have to wait 20 days lol
  • over_clocked
    Options
    KaioShinDE wrote:
    locked wrote:

I totally understand that, the current system just makes it difficult. It's the same problems that leads to the need for tanking. To get a top spot you need tons of points (and in LRs, fast), but once your MMR is high, every single fair or hard fight is risking death or at least the need for health packs. While low MMR players can just fight match after match on auto pilot and amass easy points. In the end I have to work within the system, so I tank prior to tourneys I want to place high in and then fight whatever the system offers me that is comfortably doable. I'll look out for your name next time and avoid you if I see you with a weak team again. Feel free to gank me into oblivion if you encounter me again.
    I'm sorry for the unnecessary **** (again), I have the feeling that I would be 'guilty' of the exact same crimes when I have a significantly better roster, if the system stays put in its current rendition. Sigh. So many ways to break the game and not enough to improve it and not make everyone unhappy.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    aussiemac wrote:
    It's a lightning round, which means it's all about speed. So if someone can get a quick win, you can bet they will do it. That's part of how LRs go. Not to mention saving the time spent skipping. If you have a lvl18 Mags and want covers, imagine how bad someone with a lvl50+ mags wants those covers so they can actually have him in their normal lineup.
    You're right, they need those covers more than me actually I guess, while I should definitely work on my ISO and level what I already have. LRs are cruel to the max, admittedly icon_e_biggrin.gif I need to throw out the sentimentality or at least not to slap it in other players' faces.
  • In LRs it's every man for themselves, it's the nature of the beast. If I don't have a levelled up featured character for the round I'm only entering to grab the low progression rewards and I don't care who attacks me. If I have a levelled character everyone is a target, it takes too long to skip and find a matched player. In the longer PvP tourneys I'll skip the lower ranked teams every time.
  • Going after easier teams is also a function of the healing issue - even fighting scrub teams will wear your guys down over time. In LRs especially, there's always an incentive to pick the team that will damage your team the least.
  • mechgouki wrote:

No relation to RanSolo. (that I know of)

For the record, I do feel a little bad going after my second Magneto, but the reason I play this game is so that I will have fun, and Magneto is my favorite character, and his two builds play VERY differently. I also play a LOT of this game, and spend some money too, so at least I won't be letting my second Magneto languish at lvl. 15 for very long. Once I get my Hulk to 141, My second Mags is next on the list.

As far as the topic of hitting much weaker teams, I personally think it's fine. If they are a team that has absolutely zero chance of retaliating against me, then I'll only hit them once probably, because after that I'll be looking for teams worth more points, and if they are that much weaker, they probably are not advancing up in points terribly quickly. If they are a team that does have a chance at beating me, then I am offering them a challenge: Beat me and you will probably get 30+ points. If they are up to that challenge, then I will not hit them again that tournament (I usually keep a text document open and note anyone that retaliates against me and avoid them, because I am usually above them in points and it's not worth trading back and forth).
  • My only etiqutte is that I will avoid fighting the same player more than once. Unless the matchmakinng system doesn't give me a choice. Blame it, not me.

I will avoid hitting you twice. But I willnot avoid you just because you are underdog.