Speed Evil - Lightning Rounds 2/18/2014

Options

Comments

• locked wrote:
    ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh
    *excited Rainbow Dash sounds*
    Just finished top 8 in Loki's LR, with lvl 15 purple Loki (sometimes borrowing the black default Loki when against enemy strike tiles). My first good placement in a PvP ever since I don't know when, now my Loki has 3 covers, eek. Can only explain my luck by the time though, a lot fewer players atm (still a bunch active though)

Congratuolations! I still need 2 purple loki covers but meh, would rather tank so I can try better on Hood (if I get a yellow I swear I'll drop some cash). I love the feeling of doing well when you're not expecting too. And as a Loki fan, team him up with Patch and enjoy the slaughter.
  • locked wrote:
    ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh
    Just finished top 8 in Loki's LR, with lvl 15 purple Loki (sometimes borrowing the black default Loki when against enemy strike tiles). My first good placement in a PvP ever since I don't know when, now my Loki has 3 covers, eek. Can only explain my luck by the time though, a lot fewer players atm (still a bunch active though)

This is VERY VERY IMPORTANT.

Do not give Loki more than three Purple covers. You want 5 black (for Patch!) and 3 purple. Too many purple covers makes his tile shift ability useless. Three covers lets Patch use Berserker Rage, Loki use Trickery to remove enemy strike tiles, and then Loki follows with a mid-level Illusion that moves just enough tiles to create a cascade.

You do not want a 5/5 Loki.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Congratuolations! I still need 2 purple loki covers but meh, would rather tank so I can try better on Hood (if I get a yellow I swear I'll drop some cash). I love the feeling of doing well when you're not expecting too. And as a Loki fan, team him up with Patch and enjoy the slaughter.
    Thanks! Good luck with that yellow Hood.
    My Patch is one yellow cover (danke Simulator icon_e_biggrin.gif)
    Ghast wrote:
    Would have never guessed on my own, thanks for the tip! It's a long way ahead still, it seems icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • locked wrote:
    Thanks! Good luck with that yellow Hood.
    My Patch is one yellow cover (danke Simulator icon_e_biggrin.gif)
    Ghast wrote:
    Would have never guessed on my own, thanks for the tip! It's a long way ahead still, it seems icon_e_biggrin.gif

My Patch is 3/5/4. I'd give you covers if I could. I've gotten two red I've had to sell and I'm aiming to get the green from progression which I'll have to sell as well.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    My Patch is 3/5/4. I'd give you covers if I could. I've gotten two red I've had to sell and I'm aiming to get the green from progression which I'll have to sell as well.
    Meh, the covers will come with time. I'm glad for any progress of my 2** and 3*** heroes. Isn't 5 yellow in Patch an overkill, I mean an overheal?
    Oh and didn't Loki use to have an awesome power called Transmogrification or something like that, so that he had to be nerfed a long time ago?

edit: reading a googled thread right now, so... sad. Imho Loki indeed should counter Thor well. Which he doesn't do at the moment.
  • I was still in 1*s when loki got nerfed so I didn't see him in all his might. I consider Patch to be a half tank so with 5 yellow, it's not over heal to me. Yes there are arguments for 5/5/3, and I agree with those arguments but I'm too conservative of my characters health (even w/3/5/2 spidey) to chance making his green even more devastating.

Best thing about Loki, imo, is you don't need to level him too much. If you're still in 2* land, keep him lower than 100 to max out OBW's Espionage. He's situational, if you're not using patch, or fighting C.Mags, Daken or any of the wolvies you won't see his true power. But on those fights if you can get 11 black, he is god (of trickery).
  • Made decent progress for the first time ever in Lightning rounds with a 0/3/1 Mags, got to rank eight, was gonna shield after the match I was on. Got knocked for 97 points all at once to put me at 181, **** ****.
  • Made decent progress for the first time ever in Lightning rounds with a 0/3/1 Mags, got to rank eight, was gonna shield after the match I was on. Got knocked for 97 points all at once to put me at 181, tinykitty tinykitty.

Ouch! Sorry if any of that was me, was just using the loaner mags so I could get a cover for him (only 3* i was missing completely). I placed top 25 so got a purple mags plus tons of iso to get my hulk up to 88.
  • **** Hood LR was insane. Got over 500pts and still didn't get close to 2nd place.

I think I may have to give up on Hood yellow completely. icon_e_sad.gif

It's just way too intense....

In contrast, I got Loki top 2 with a lower score. I thought hood would be similar. Boy was I wrong.....
  • over_clocked
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:
    **** Hood LR was insane. Got over 500pts and still didn't get close to 2nd place.

I think I may have to give up on Hood yellow completely. icon_e_sad.gif

It's just way too intense....

In contrast, I got Loki top 2 with a lower score. I thought hood would be similar. Boy was I wrong.....
    everyone wants the Hood, especially yellow. Loki is lackluster unfortunately and isn't needed often...
  • Loki, Ragnarok & Doctor Doom can all be completed by finishing top 8 so people quickly complete them & no need to compete for top prizes any more.

C.Magneto & Hood need top 2 finishes to complete, but there are several viable build for Mag.C so some people will only need 3 top 2 finishes before they can stop competing for top 2. Hood 5 yellow/5 blue/3 black is imo the best build due to black only increasing number of friendly countdown tiles affected, so people need to finish top 2 five times, making it the hardest to complete. When they last awarded Hood as a prize in another PvP tournament, they had the prize in reverse order (yellow top 45 /black top 15/blue top 5) so it was easier to pick up a yellow from that.

I got my final Hood yellow from a Villain token in the first LR this week (1 in 12 chance since Loki/Ragnarok/Doctor Doom have 2 abilites & Hood/C.Magneto have 3)
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ghast wrote:
    locked wrote:
    ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh

Do not give Loki more than three Purple covers. You want 5 black (for Patch!) and 3 purple. Too many purple covers makes his tile shift ability useless. Three covers lets Patch use Berserker Rage, Loki use Trickery to remove enemy strike tiles, and then Loki follows with a mid-level Illusion that moves just enough tiles to create a cascade.

how is 5 bad in purple? So I get to switch more tiles, why is that bad, I can understand the arguement of not pumping him up with ISO, by why wouldn't you want 5 purple?
  • Man, trying to thread that needle into 26-50 is no joke.
  • Ghast wrote:
    locked wrote:
    ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh

As an avid Loki user, I disagree. It could just be the way I play, though. My favorite team right now is 5/5/3 Classic Mags, 5/5 Loki, 5/3/5 Patch, and the 5 purple Loki is amazing. I use it as a whole board shakeup, BEFORE I activate any of Patch's powers, it keeps turns going for quite a while.
  • The logic for Patch + Loki is that bigger cascades = more likely your own green strike tiles gets destroyed which is not what you want.

This is also why you don't want to use Patch on desert because Oasis tends to blow away your own strike tiles.

Still, if you matched a bunch of your own green tiles, you can always use Berserker Rage again. Just don't use Trickery until you're done swapping in case you need to use Berserker Rage more than once.
  • You'll notice that a Loki with 5 Purple shifts around too many tiles to create useful matches or cascades.

A Loki with 3 purple shifts just enough tiles to make interesting things happen. You tend to create match 3s for extra damage, position other useful color matches for your final move in the turn, and occasionally cause big cascades. This tends to end Lightning Round matches quickly.

With 5 purple, you get to sit around as Loki creates interesting matches and then swaps crucial tiles out at the last minute. Rather than cause massive Patch-buffed damage, Loki winds up reshuffling the board without causing any actual damage or collecting any more AP for you.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ghast wrote:
    You'll notice that a Loki with 5 Purple shifts around too many tiles to create useful matches or cascades.

A Loki with 3 purple shifts just enough tiles to make interesting things happen. You tend to create match 3s for extra damage, position other useful color matches for your final move in the turn, and occasionally cause big cascades. This tends to end Lightning Round matches quickly.

With 5 purple, you get to sit around as Loki creates interesting matches and then swaps crucial tiles out at the last minute. Rather than cause massive Patch-buffed damage, Loki winds up reshuffling the board without causing any actual damage or collecting any more AP for you.

. Mathmatically speaking, im not sure if this is true. Increasing the randomization shouldnt result in less matches right? I feel like what youre experiencing is the disappointment of a potential match being taken away by more swaps. I think you need to actually count the matches resulting from a 3 vs 5 purp loki in order to prove it one way or the other.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I don't quite believe it, either. I'm sure there is a point where increasing the number of switches doesn't make it any more 'random' than fewer switches, but I don't really think you could conclusively say that fewer switches are better than more.
  • To be fair I've seen my Loki with 3 of those covers set up a match and then take it away just as quick... too many times to count.

And he has made matches just as often.
  • Yeah not putting 5 in your purple in Loki is just...silly. Probabilistically speaking, there's probably more of a chance of matches being created when he shuffles an entire board than if you shuffled only half of it.