Again - Getting Screwed in PvP

124»

Comments

• xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    TheXMan wrote:
    946 with a 39 point match and 50 point match queued. Planned to beat first match and then whales to get 1000. Used boosts to go quickly and 1st match turned out to be only 2 points. Then used whales twice on 50 + matches but lost faster than I could gain. Wasted hp and a bunch of boosts. Since I switched to Deadpool instead of using max Fury and 248 Xforce lost over 300 points in minutes. Agree with earlier posts that it would be nice to get progression rewards and then deduct points.
    Sorry to hear that happened, but at 946 you should be able to Q by skipping occasionally someone worth the 54 points you needed to get to 1k. Try to Q someone from a known alliance, they will probably hold onto those points so you don't come out of the fight to find it worth 2 points.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    ammenell wrote:
    still, can somebody tell me where the advantage is in joining a slice ~60min before the end?
    never tried that.
    If you are lucky you join a fresh slice and the best grinder wins first place. You can easily join a bracket that's been open for a long time and have no hope whatsoever of getting any placement rewards.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    ammenell wrote:
    still, can somebody tell me where the advantage is in joining a slice ~60min before the end?
    never tried that.
    If you are lucky you join a fresh slice and the best grinder wins first place. You can easily join a bracket that's been open for a long time and have no hope whatsoever of getting any placement rewards.

Yup, when I was 2-3* transitioning I did this a lot. During one of the Cyclops PVPs I finished Top 10 with 500 pts. But it takes luck. I wasn't always so lucky.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got to 988, won a fight...and had lost 110. So I gave up =/
    So close, too. Just couldn't kill fast enough. I knew I wouldn't hit 1000 though, it was a point starved PvP. If I leap into PvP to hit 1000 and find the number 1 guy has just over 1100 points, it ain't happenin'.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    j12601 wrote:
    I think the game is designed (currently) to be in the 1-3* range. The rewards certainly reflect that. I believe more players have gotten above that range than were expected to, but that for the majority of casual players who play the game, stuff is as it should be. I haven't seen their numbers, I don't expect to see them, but what I would guess is, they're making more money on the rest of the population plunking down a few bucks to open a roster slot to hold onto the only cover of Iceman that they got, than they are from the super high end players buying up the rest of his covers to go crush top tier PVP.
    Two points:

1. Yes, the game is designed for 1* - 3* characters. That's how it was originally designed and the core mechanics of the game have never changed in this regard. 4* were 'bolted on' to the existing structure. Nothing else in-game was changed to accommodate them; i.e. 3* rewards were not shifted down in the reward structure to make way for the 4*, or to account for the fact that 4* players tend to dominate the placement rewards in most/all events these days, locking 2* transition players out of 3* placements.

2. Don't fool yourself about the $$$ distribution. In games like this, the whales out-spend the rest of the population by a massive amount. I'd bet that D3 is making 95% or more of their MPQ revenue from the top 1% or less of players. Easily. It's why every new character is a 4*. It's why LTs are only available for whaling if you buy 40-packs. It's why they quit making 3*. It's why they've never changed the distribution of 4* rewards to be more accommodating to non-whales. D3 needs whales to spend, or the game dies. That's the point in the game's life-cycle in which we find ourselves (I suspect in reality it's always been thus).

If 2*-3* players were spending in amounts large enough to tip the scales away from the whales, D3 would make more accommodation for them; i.e. better rewards, fewer 4* releases, etc. They aren't, so they don't. It is what it is.
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Davan wrote:
    (*snip*) I am 2* player working on gathering 3*s. (*snip*) Now I'm only aiming for 800. I climb up to about 650 points and bamm only 3* options to fight. (*snip*) Anyway I climb up to about 750 and I grind to a halt. Almost all battles are 166 3*s and not worth much points. (*snip*)
    the best piece of advice i can give to you, is that it would benefit you to consider joining a multi-family pvp powerhouse alliance... they will always people with beatable decks and enough vets to help you get over this hump... you are clearly out/over preforming your deck, and joining a top tier family of alliances will really help speed up your transition...
    Davan wrote:
    Battles are only worth about 20points though even though they are more of a challenge.
    Quebbster wrote:
    It's probably a good idea to stay away from battles worth only 20 points, particularly against stronger opponents.
    ^ i'll ditto what quebbster said... a match worth 38 points is the lowest you should ever undertake... at 38 points, the opponents score is within the same range of your score... any lower and you are leaving them a better retal than you took...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I rarely take on a match less than 50 pts, or at least the upper 40s. any less and you'll get retaliated on. sometimes I have to skip a lot, but that's better than leaving someone a fat retal, and usually fatter if I'm climbing. if you hit someone for 50 pts, the retal will only be worth 25 or so and most people do not mess with that unless they can verify you've climbed above their score or they'll leave you a high retal.