Again - Getting Screwed in PvP

irwando
irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Yep, once again. Shield at 925, try to hop, hit down to 910. Get up to 990? Hit down to 905.

I'm running a "fast" team (Cap/SW/SG, same as many others). . I shielded, waited, aligned the right number of points. 2 fights and I had my points but hit 4 times in that point.

Once again devs, waiting for a fix here. My "3" on your little survey was way to generous.

Now I'm out of Health packs, so I'm sure that in the 30 seconds it took to type this I'll be hit for another 150 points and out of contention for 1k and a 4* cover I need.

Once again as someone trying to move to 4* the game's design is making this nigh impossible..

Once again I'm reminded why I keep my money in my pockets and not yours.

Once again I'm sure the dev team will say nothing.

Comments

• irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    And I just checked, hit for 153 in less than 3 minutes. Its like I'm psychic!
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I feel ya. Just hit that myself. Got up to ~930, then hit down to 875. Went up to 915, hit down to 850. I even used some of my coveted taco tokens to get health packs. I fought 3 more times, now I'm down to 829. I gave up and shielded.

C'est la vie.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    You're pushing for 1k right at the end of the pvp. This is when the zombie horde appear from below and eat all of your points up, as they try desperately to reach whatever prize they're looking for.

Go for your 1k/1.3k progression rewards more then 12 hours prior to the end. The horde isn't ravenous then. If you're not in a time slice that can manage 1k/1.3k that far away from the end, move slice. (Not even kidding, point poor slices are horrible)

Also, that team that is moderately bad on defence (even though they're currently buffed and decent on offence). -- It's easy enough to deny Cap AP, he takes too long to charge his skills, SG will almost always use purple over SW. TBH, I loved hitting that team. It was much easier to hit them and come away with no health packs used than the maxed HB/JG combos out there.

One last tip, shielding at 925 always means you're going to need 2 matches to reach 1k (unless you're really, really lucky and have a 75 point stored up). If you're going to break in the last couple of hours, and it's 'important' -- ie you need the prize, try to make sure that you only need one match to reach the prize. (50 points is around where I consider myself ready to shield). It's relatively easy to find a 50 point match at the end, and you should be able to do the one "needed" match in less than 5 minutes. (When you're hopping, 1-6 minutes is "safe-ish", 6-10 minutes is "dangerous", more than 10 mins is a guaranteed hit)

Anyway, keep at it. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    - T
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was your team fully leveled? In PvP, every missing level makes you a more attractive target.
    And yes, unshielding in the final minutes of the event is very masochistic - you are just begging people to hit you.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was in that boat a lot until recently, so if I may give a few points :
    Cap is not fast in PVP, he takes far to long to get going, and because of that can make you more of a target. I started with him then ditched him in favour of Iron Fist, and Cap teams were great for climbing against.

Once in that loop of getting beat back down while trying to climb back up, I was always stuffed. It was then a case of shield up or let it fall and try again later. Last hour can be good actually.
    I have the bonus of living in Scotland so when I get up for work is pretty quiet and can often hit 1000 then, I know find the right time can't work for everyone, but the more you try the 1000 point runs, the more you'll learn.

It took me months to break through that pain barrier, from when if I was lucky to have 3 good boosted characters I might have a chance, to now where I've hit 1000 5 from last 6, and that's been a bit of luck with covers, throwing numerous combinations at the 1000 point wall and seeing what worked for me and lots of iso thrown into bringing a lot of characters up.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    SG/Cap/SW was super slow for me. I switched to SG/Cap/IM40 with 1 yellow... for climbing only, and didn't leave them for defense if I wasn't shielding. IM40 feeding Cap red every 6 yellow speeds him up pretty good... but with IM40 soft capped at 120, Cap tanked an awful lot, but he was pretty much the only one I was feeding health packs to.
  • Tannen wrote:
    *Lots of useful, nonjudgmental information*
    Anyway, keep at it. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    - T

I wish I could give you more than one upvote for allowing someone their frustration and actually trying to help them instead of taking shots at them or calling them names.

All class. icon_e_wink.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

DBC
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was worse than usual in this PvP. Everybody wanted the JG purple prize, so the hits were flying. I shielded 3 times to get to 1k and that's very unusual for me.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    irwando wrote:
    Yep, once again. Shield at 925, try to hop, hit down to 910. Get up to 990? Hit down to 905.

I'm running a "fast" team (Cap/SW/SG, same as many others). . I shielded, waited, aligned the right number of points. 2 fights and I had my points but hit 4 times in that point.

Once again devs, waiting for a fix here. My "3" on your little survey was way to generous.

Now I'm out of Health packs, so I'm sure that in the 30 seconds it took to type this I'll be hit for another 150 points and out of contention for 1k and a 4* cover I need.

Once again as someone trying to move to 4* the game's design is making this nigh impossible..

I made 1133 pts with a loaner cap and cyc.the team u put out is NOT a fast team and as some1 has already pointed out below u were climbing at the worst time too
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    The annoying part of pvp is the bait and switch of the points. I fought two fistbuster teams after unshielding and having my queued matches give me almost nothing. I got a total of 15 points between the two fistbuster matches. Loved wasting the boosts to take them out.

Would it really break the game to basically "lock" the points for the reward when you fight the match? Heck make it even refresh the score and prompt you and say you will get x points, Fight?
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    irwando wrote:

I made 1133 pts with a loaner cap and cyc.the team u put out is NOT a fast team and as some1 has already pointed out below u were climbing at the worst time too

The OP put fast in quotes...he said it was "fast"
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I have pretty much given up on high scores in pvp. I have read all the advice, tried different times, teams, and shield approaches. It's just a broken system. In the time it takes me to finish one match with ANY team, I have been hit for 2-3x as many points as i've gained. The teams with buffed 4*s just feed off the 3* teams and I can be knocked down over 100 points in moments. Add that they switched the 10 pack season reward back to 4K for some reason and that you need 10k to get a freaking legendary....LAME!!!!!
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have pretty much given up on high scores in pvp. I have read all the advice, tried different times, teams, and shield approaches. It's just a broken system. In the time it takes me to finish one match with ANY team, I have been hit for 2-3x as many points as i've gained. The teams with buffed 4*s just feed off the 3* teams and I can be knocked down over 100 points in moments. Add that they switched the 10 pack season reward back to 4K for some reason and that you need 10k to get a freaking legendary....LAME!!!!!

10k to get the Legendary should be doable since you have the SHIELD Sim to help out your score. 1500 in the Sim means you only have to average 850 in the 10 PvPs to hit 10k. Anyone with a decent 3* cast should be able to do that.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Add that they switched the 10 pack season reward back to 4K for some reason and that you need 10k to get a freaking legendary....LAME!!!!!

They raised it back up to what the full season target should be. they had lowered it because the last season was shortened for the Funiversary.
  • irwando wrote:
    Yep, once again.

If it keeps happening, why do you keep doing it?

I realized months ago that it was very easy to climb to 800 or so, but that last 200 points was tough. So I started playing more in the events earlier and found that people weren't attacking me nearly as frequently as they were near the end of the events. Now I can usually hit 1k without shielding, and hop to 1.3k if the points are there.
  • jimstarooney
    irwando wrote:
    Yep, once again.

If it keeps happening, why do you keep doing it?

I realized months ago that it was very easy to climb to 800 or so, but that last 200 points was tough. So I started playing more in the events earlier and found that people weren't attacking me nearly as frequently as they were near the end of the events. Now I can usually hit 1k without shielding, and hop to 1.3k if the points are there.
    This guy gets it
  • jimstarooney
    moogles85 wrote:
    irwando wrote:

The OP put fast in quotes...he said it was "fast"
    Im confused,does this mean he was fast?or "fast"?
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    irwando wrote:
    I shielded, waited, aligned the right number of points. 2 fights and I had my points but hit 4 times in that point.

If you're trying for 2 matches at 900 points with a 3* team, you're going to get crushed.

If you want to make sure you bank those points, only do 1 match unshielded over the ~850-875 mark.

It sucks but is still preferable to the alternative.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Here are some tips that have helped me.

Your floating equilibrium goes higher towards the end of the event as does everyone's. The heard rises and so will you.

End of event is a bad time for 3* to try and get 1k. I felt like I was a target trying for a thing 1k cover 5 months ago or whenever. I was ready to quit. It's not personal unless you snipe.

Stay shielded long enough. 30 min minimum and longer is usually better. Gives time for queued hits to clear. I didn't understand this properly early in.

Defensive vs offensive teams. Some are fast some aren't. But winfinite gets destroyed in pvp. Fistbusters is fast but weak on defense. Jean is one of the better deterrents but fading. Iceman and others can easily beat her. There are certain deterrents that are over valued. 199 teams are basically the same as 200 but it's that psychological deterrent. Same as prices of goods.

Off Season events more people don't shield so 60* point targets are less reliable.

Etiquette helps everyone. Q and wait. Managing qs is the best way to progress.

So q and wait and off season is trickier as I said above. Mostly look at alliances and teams. Top players shield a lot.

If a winfinite is offering 75 points please wait. A few players out out generous teams so we all win.

Hopping from shields. Under 1k sure do 3 if 4*. Above 1k 1-2 matches is usually most unless your team is above average. (5* or boosted 4* especially new release maxed)
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    You never use Captain America to hop. NEVER.