Again - Getting Screwed in PvP

Comments

• Omega Red wrote:
    You never use Captain America to hop. NEVER.

But we are talking about captains event.

Aren't we? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Splarne wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

No, it was squirrel girl's event... Even though he was boosted, 3*cap is never a good idea in pvp

OP - lots of good advice from nwman & aesthetocyst... Another idea is to pull up malcrof's post from a few seasons ago entitled "please help I want to hit 1k this season" (or something to that effect)... There was tons of advice in that thread that would be relevant to any having a similar issue...

* I'll try to edit & link it here if I can, but no promises, I'm on my phone & it's not the easiest site to navigate...

Edit: here you go - viewtopic.php?style=1&f=6&t=30912
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Omega Red wrote:
    I have been usin cap with cyc and hit over 1100 in squirrel with a loaner too.it can be done
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    I have been usin cap with cyc and hit over 1100 in squirrel with a loaner too.it can be done
    ok, never is a strong word. sure he could work with im40 too but he's generally very slow to get going and pvp is all about speed. once going he can sustain for long fights - great for pve survival nodes like big enchilada. generally not built for high-level pvp. but could he be used, sure, but there are usually better options.

edit: jim - how many hops did u use cap for? just curious. I'd still never hop with cap.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    irwando wrote:
    Yep, once again. Shield at 925, try to hop, hit down to 910. Get up to 990? Hit down to 905.

I'm running a "fast" team (Cap/SW/SG, same as many others). . I shielded, waited, aligned the right number of points. 2 fights and I had my points but hit 4 times in that point.

Once again devs, waiting for a fix here. My "3" on your little survey was way to generous.

Now I'm out of Health packs, so I'm sure that in the 30 seconds it took to type this I'll be hit for another 150 points and out of contention for 1k and a 4* cover I need.

Once again as someone trying to move to 4* the game's design is making this nigh impossible..

Once again I'm reminded why I keep my money in my pockets and not yours.

Once again I'm sure the dev team will say nothing.

Irwando, this is a classic case of not being realistic about what it will take to achieve a certain goal. And you have posted nearly identical complaints before (See posts complaining about PvP from August and Sept this year), and great advice was offered, and here you are again, same problems ... and still running Cap!

Cap, Witch is not a fast team. What levels are these characters? You are playing for a 4* reward. This should be a signal to expect to need a solid, top-tier 3* team to win it.

1. Build and max an Iron Fist to pair with that witch. Relegate Cap to PvE duty, where he excels. Use him for early stage PvP if at all.

2. Identify a slice with a balance between high scorers and traffic. You don't want the most heavily trafficked slice, as there will be too much competition at all levels.

3. Push up to 800 with 17hrs or more left. Put up a 3hr shield. Don't try to push farther or get entangled in any retals. Hit 850, or within 10pts of it, and shield.

Take your time in finding a 60+pt target. 70+ if you can find it. Wait 2hrs. Verify your target's score. If they have fallen, find another. Using rainbow AP boost, +2 blue/purple, and +2 green/black, attack and defeat this valuable target. Shield immediately for 8hrs. You're now at 900+ with 15hrs to go.

Repeat this process, hopping again at 9hrs, shielding for 3hrs, now at 960+

Repeat again at 7hrs, shielding for 8hrs, now at 1020+.

4. You have your cover and are sitting out the end time feeding frenzy.

Do not be out within 30min of the 8hr mark, or at any time with less than 3.5hrs left.

Yes, it costs 450hp. With dedication, hitting 1K will take less time and $$$.

Employing this strategy for a whole season will cost you $40. For that $40, you should be able to hit 1K in all 10 PVPs, 2K in Sim, 12K for the season. You'll collect at least 11 4* covers and at least 1 legendary token ... just from PvP! And that Iron Fist will take your PvE to a whole 'nother level, too.

PS—If not in a PVP-oriented alliance, with advanced, experienced PVP champs that can guide you, get in one ASAP.

I have Fist Maxed. Switch is at 140, Rogers Maxed, SG at 127. Beating teams is fine, and that team was able to win me matches in <2 minutes in most cases. Many, many people were running that team. I'm pretty sure its not the team. There's nothing I can do to the fact that I can lose multiple matches in the time it takes to win 1.

As for hopping, I hit 900 with 21 hours to go and shielded. At about 12 hours left I had two 40 point matches queued (no 60s available I saw). broke shield, fought them. The result? I gained 80 and lost 70. So I made 10 points. At that point it was shield again, so I did. lined up another couple of fights that should have brought me to over 1k. Hit those two, and my screen even showed 1018 points, but due to the BROKEN way scores are displayed and calculated, I didn't actually hit is. When I refreshed I was at 990. Hit one more fight, down to 8XX and done.

So I hit:

- Matches not being worth what they say
    - Scores showing one thing but not your actual score.
    - Getting hit for many more points that I can possibly earn in the same time.

Not to mention the fact that your answer is again to NOT PLAY THE GAME. Play one match and shield? That's not fun. I have limited times when I can play. When I can I want to play and make progress, not lose more than what I earn.

I'm at the point where I have a roster with many (12+) maxed 3* any my only real way to move forward is 4* from PvP. These issue continue to make that incredibly difficult and frustrating.

Yes I've posted this before, and I will again, until the game actually addresses these issues (or they at least acknowledge them) or until I quit all together.
  • irwando
    Quebbster wrote:
    Was your team fully leveled? In PvP, every missing level makes you a more attractive target.
    And yes, unshielding in the final minutes of the event is very masochistic - you are just begging people to hit you.

Cap is, SWtich at 140, SG at 127. Winning matches was pretty easy (I think I had 2 losses in the whole thing).

I play when I can, can't bend my life to fit the game's schedule.
  • irwando
    nwman wrote:
    Here are some tips that have helped me.
    If a winfinite is offering 75 points please wait. A few players out out generous teams so we all win.

What does this mean?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I reached 1K with no shields using maxed Cap/SW and a 120 SG. The team isn't exactly fast, but with the ladies shaking the board it's not super slow, either, and this week's 3* boosts don't have anybody fast in the mix anyway.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Salgy wrote:
    Splarne wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

No, it was squirrel girl's event... Even though he was boosted, 3*cap is never a good idea in pvp

On the other hand. . . I broke 1.3k using a max Laken/Rogers team for the entire squirrel gal event. The key though is being in a heavy traffic shard and getting lucky in finding high value targets. But for the most part, I did one match hops for 3-minute matches in order to avoid snipes. I agree that Lcap can be slow, but w/ my rainbow team I can collect red, blue, green, and pink for decent damage powers.
  • Dimh
    Dimh Posts: 50 Match Maker
    irwando wrote:

Not to mention the fact that your answer is again to NOT PLAY THE GAME. Play one match and shield? That's not fun. I have limited times when I can play. When I can I want to play and make progress, not lose more than what I earn.

This option is yours for the low cost of a fully covered Surfer or Old Man Logan.
  • Hit bigger targets Irwando. Play shard 3 or 4. The points trickle down from the top alliances. You should be able to find middle teams for far more than 40 points. Rising tide raises all boats. 17 hrs out will have points but not great. 12-9 out is a sweet spot. 7-4 out is good also. You need to wait for points to build in the shard. It will be easy to find 60+ point targets. Also, those targets rarely go down much once you've played the match. The people 1.3+ almost always are maintaining their scores.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    irwando wrote:
    I'm at the point where I have a roster with many (12+) maxed 3* any my only real way to move forward is 4* from PvP. These issue continue to make that incredibly difficult and frustrating.

Yes I've posted this before, and I will again, until the game actually addresses these issues (or they at least acknowledge them) or until I quit all together.

So someone gave you a long post with tips on breaking 1000 consistently, and your response is "its my way or the highway?"

Tbh, a level 140 lcap and sw @ the 900 points marks you as a huge open target. You may feel that it's fast, but sorry bro, when you are such an attractive target, you will get hit multiple times. You are over stretching your team.

Aesth has helped many other new players and his advice is top notched. If you are not inclined to follow his tips, then reaching 1000 is out of your reach.
  • I have pretty much given up on high scores in pvp. I have read all the advice, tried different times, teams, and shield approaches. It's just a broken system. In the time it takes me to finish one match with ANY team, I have been hit for 2-3x as many points as i've gained. The teams with buffed 4*s just feed off the 3* teams and I can be knocked down over 100 points in moments. Add that they switched the 10 pack season reward back to 4K for some reason and that you need 10k to get a freaking legendary....LAME!!!!!

A few people have mentioned this already, but I figured I'd give you the math.
    The legendary and the 10 pack are (slightly) easier to get in this season (XX) than in the last one (XIX). This generally tends to be the case with most of the L tokens. The longer the amount of time you have, the easier it is.
    How can you reliably get them?

DPDQ 4*node - often tough and luck/roster dependent
    2.5 day PVP - hit 1300. Often tough, and luck/roster/shield spending dependent. Let's assume you need 3 fights for every 100 points (accounting for losses, lack of good fights). With coordination and a good roster this can be done in 30-40 matches.
    3/4 day PVE - play 3 clears a day, grind a bit if you are missing an essential or two. Around 30 matches a day for 3-4 days, but likely over 100 nodes.
    7 day PVE - usually can skip day one, maybe even the entire first sub or two. Likely 150+ nodes.

For seasons:

10 day anniversary PVP season - 1k per event

Season XIX shortened season - you needed 7500 to get there in 7 events and SIM.
    Reasonable options for achieving that:
    786 per event, 2000 SIM (got you a JG green cover)
    800 per event, 1900 SIM.
    850 per event, 1550 SIM.
    938 per event, 934 SIM
    For the 10 pack at 3k, it was achievable at 375 points per event, and 375 in SIM.

This season (and I would assume other full seasons going forward) there are 10 events and SIM.
    Reasonable options are:
    800 per event, 2000 SIM (gets you a 4clops red cover this time)
    850 per event, 1500 SIM
    910 per event, 900 SIM
    10 pack - 364 points per event and 364 SIM.

Having an extra week to get the 2k in sim makes that a much more realistic option for some players, as well as being able to spread out point minimums among a total of 11 events versus 8.
    Just like the other options, the faster you can earn it, likely the harder it is. This is not substantially easier than last season, but it is technically easier.
  • Anyone else think we need a new forum section that is just for PVP? Maybe that would funnel all the good ideas, theories, and tactics into one easier place.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:
    ok, never is a strong word. sure he could work with im40 too but he's generally very slow to get going and pvp is all about speed. once going he can sustain for long fights - great for pve survival nodes like big enchilada. generally not built for high-level pvp. but could he be used, sure, but there are usually better options.

edit: jim - how many hops did u use cap for? just curious. I'd still never hop with cap.
    Heres my exact hop 24 hrs b4 870#3hr lined up a 50+ wait for retals and then hit #24hr (it was my wifes birthday the day after so i didnt know when i would be able to get a hop in)lined up 2 70+ hit em both with about 14hrs left in event(im from uk so this is a good time for me,many times i have climbed to 1k b4 putting 1st#up at this time)last 4 minutes i had a 50+lined up.could have done it spending less but time was an issue that day and i now only need 2 covers for jean
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hitting 1000 or 1300 on a regular basis is impossible if you are unwilling to:
    1. schedule play time for optimal hops or use strategies or choose the right slice
    2. level up your 3* roster
    3. spend HP on shields or boosts or covers
  • irwando
    atomzed wrote:
    irwando wrote:

So someone gave you a long post with tips on breaking 1000 consistently, and your response is "its my way or the highway?"

Tbh, a level 140 lcap and sw @ the 900 points marks you as a huge open target. You may feel that it's fast, but sorry bro, when you are such an attractive target, you will get hit multiple times. You are over stretching your team.

Aesth has helped many other new players and his advice is top notched. If you are not inclined to follow his tips, then reaching 1000 is out of your reach.

I appreciate that advice but much of it involves extended research, planning, and play at specific times. I can not and will not schedule my life around playing this game. It is a diversion, supposed to be fun, and fits in during the times that I'm able to play when not working, with my family, or any other commitments I have. So an option that says play one match and wait 3-4 hours just doesn't work.

There needs to be better options for those of us who want to play, who want to advance, and who simply can't engage at that level. It is extremely frustrating that the game's publisher doesn't seem to care at all about us. If the economy of the game were more reasonable I wold spend money to move forward. But between that and repeatedly bad design (repeating the same boring PvE, the "meta-game", and lets not forget Galactus v1) I have no trust that giving them my money will do anything.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    irwando wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    irwando wrote:

I appreciate that advice but much of it involves extended research, planning, and play at specific times. I can not and will not schedule my life around playing this game. It is a diversion, supposed to be fun, and fits in during the times that I'm able to play when not working, with my family, or any other commitments I have. So an option that says play one match and wait 3-4 hours just doesn't work.

There needs to be better options for those of us who want to play, who want to advance, and who simply can't engage at that level. It is extremely frustrating that the game's publisher doesn't seem to care at all about us. If the economy of the game were more reasonable I wold spend money to move forward. But between that and repeatedly bad design (repeating the same boring PvE, the "meta-game", and lets not forget Galactus v1) I have no trust that giving them my money will do anything.

So you don't want to spend money and yet expect the developers to change the gameplay to suit you when those that do spend the money and time boosting, hopping, building their rosters etc. don't see the same problems or face the same problems you do? Sure.
  • irwando
    irwando wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    irwando wrote:

So you don't want to spend money and yet expect the developers to change the gameplay to suit you when those that do spend the money and time boosting, hopping, building their rosters etc. don't see the same problems or face the same problems you do? Sure.

I don't expect anything.

I would spend money for a quality game where the designers recognize and fix issues. Ignoring the PvP knock-down issue for a minute, we can talk about many other issues :

- Innacurate score representation for matches
    - Same stale PvE experience
    - New events are not well tested (Galactus)

I have been a lifelong Marvel fan and always will be. I would happily pay for a game where I got good value and a fu experience. Even if I were to pay now for boosts and shields it doesn't solve the fundamental issue which I have issue with - that the best strategy is to spend most of the time shielded (not playing) with only short, 1-2 match sessions in between. Why anyone thinks that is fun is beyond me, but if you're happy to fork over cash to spend time watching the leaderboards and playing one match every few hours, hey, it's your money. I'd rather know that if I am an active player playing matches for hours it is worth more than the person sitting on the sidelines. Maybe that's too much to ask.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    irwando wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    irwando wrote:

I have to agree that the game is currently catered towards the top end. There needs to be an accelerated path to progress, but they have to balance this with making money. The whales are paying for stronger characters faster, and they won't do so if they can easily get it. Without that incentive they will cease to pay in and when that happens the game is over.

If these significant paths to progression are introduced so that casual players get somewhere near the experience the hardcore guys get, then they will have to invent new stuff for the hardcore guys in turn. Then that won't be achievable for the casuals.

It's a circular argument and one that won't have a satisfactory answer for you in a freemium game. They HAVE to incentivize purchases in order to keep the lights on and provide more content.

If, as you mentioned, you're not going to spend money on the game no matter what happens because you have no faith in the developers, then the only value you have to developers is: to bring in friends that will pay OR to be a fish in the pond that makes life interesting for the whales.

I can't imagine that this is not the same model for every other freemium game to varying degrees.