Brand New Gameplay Feature

Comments

• madok wrote:
    Maybe they are going to team up with the major fitness bands out there and give us 4* covers if we meet our step goal* for the day.

icon_rolleyes.gif

* - The minimum step goal for a free 4* cover is 100,000 steps per day.

Y'know, this reminds me. I'm still kinda cranky there's not a "Buy the new comic with the character in it and get a cover of said character free" promotion.

Like, they introduced 4or before her comic debuted. There was time to actually go out and buy that exact cover of hers in real life, darn it. Let me have one cover for the real cover I got!
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    madok wrote:
    Maybe they are going to team up with the major fitness bands out there and give us 4* covers if we meet our step goal* for the day.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Y'know, this reminds me. I'm still kinda cranky there's not a "Buy the new comic with the character in it and get a cover of said character free" promotion.

Like, they introduced 4or before her comic debuted. There was time to actually go out and buy that exact cover of hers in real life, darn it. Let me have one cover for the real cover I got!

That's a really cool idea. Take a lot of effort on their part though so I'd not bet on it.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    Like, they introduced 4or before her comic debuted.

Which seems to have been a bad idea since her abilities in-game don't match her in-comic abilities...
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    colwag wrote:

Which seems to have been a bad idea since her abilities in-game don't match her in-comic abilities...

Yeah it would be cool if she had her zigzag mjolnir thing from the comics. :1
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    madok wrote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

I would be so fit. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:

Yeah it would be cool if she had her zigzag mjolnir thing from the comics. :1

That and I wanna see this.
    d2ICENK.png
  • madok wrote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

Deal!
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    Reide wrote:
    I recall a while ago there was a subtle announcement of a new Gameplay Feature upcoming.

Whatever happened to this? Was it Galactus? The Anniversary??

The new gameplay feature is still actively under development. More will be revealed in the not-too-distant future.

The future, David?

conan2000_zps5qapuoli.jpg

(pictured, sneak peek of next community video)

In the year 2000...... in the year two thousaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • colwag wrote:
    I would think the absolute definition OF "being tough" is "Some people can't complete it."

If it's something that's "tough" yet also something everyone can complete with relative ease then I'd say it isn't really tough. The Big Enchilada is supposedly tough yet it is pretty much regarded as a free 3* cover as it is something anybody with a good 2* roster can complete.

"Tough" doesn't mean a lot when tons of people can do it.

A better definition of "tough" might be "most players can complete the content, but it will require a greater-than-average exertion of time, strategy, and/or effort".

Now take a look at my definition and your definition. Which do you think sounds like more fun to the majority of players out there?

-GK
  • colwag wrote:
    I would think the absolute definition OF "being tough" is "Some people can't complete it."

If it's something that's "tough" yet also something everyone can complete with relative ease then I'd say it isn't really tough. The Big Enchilada is supposedly tough yet it is pretty much regarded as a free 3* cover as it is something anybody with a good 2* roster can complete.

"Tough" doesn't mean a lot when tons of people can do it.

A better definition of "tough" might be "most players can complete the content, but it will require a greater-than-average exertion of time, strategy, and/or effort".

Now take a look at my definition and your definition. Which do you think sounds like more fun to the majority of players out there?

-GK

I do think having a bunch of easy events giving out a bunch of stuff DOES sound pretty fun, although it'll never reach MAXIMUM EXTREME SATISFACTION of a very challenging (that is, one people fail at) mission would.

But it'll never be as frustrating or make the flaws of the game as apparent, either.

Like, I am very, very pleased with myself and my fully covered 3* Wolverine. Not because it was easy, no. But because it was hard.

I am much less pleased with my fully covered Mystique, because it came pretty easily. Only had one big event win to stockpile her and just got the other covered in DDQ and tokens and junk.

4* DDQ has issues, as does the general distribution of covers.

But if I felt like I could win it all the time every time... it'd be way less fun or satisfying compared to winning it only once in a while after using all my boosts and healthpacks on it.
  • How about endless waves? I would love to just face wave after wave of goons, maybe with some vilains/heroes thrown in. Just to see how far I can get.

Make it a staple - something always available. Throw out awards and a leaderboard for bragging rights.

I'd also love to see achievements for random things.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    although it'll never reach MAXIMUM EXTREME SATISFACTION of a very challenging (that is, one people fail at) mission would.
    fine line between requiring sound, strategic play and requiring pure luck. G1 and the 4* ddq nodes for low covered/leveled characters are examples of missions that you got lucky or died - very little strategy to it. getting through the ddq 4* node on the 12-15th try leave no feeling of satisfaction, but of only relief that its finally over and you can get onto the more fun aspects of the game.
  • colwag wrote:
    4* DDQ has issues, as does the general distribution of covers. But if I felt like I could win it all the time every time... it'd be way less fun or satisfying compared to winning it only once in a while after using all my boosts and healthpacks on it.

I completely agree that it is more satisfying to win at something challenging. I don't think the big complaint from most people is having to use boosts and healthpacks on the DDQ4*, or the challenge of having to play carefully and strategically against tough opponents. In fact I'd wager that most players, like you and I, relish a challenge, love having to play carefully, and are more than willing to use strategy, use good boosts, make multiple attempts, etc. I think the big complaint is that even with your best boosts and extremely careful play and dozens of attempts available, it is practically impossible to complete the DDQ4* node unless you already have a prerequisite number of covers for the required 4* (which of course varies based on the 4* at issue). This isn't a skill barrier, it's a roster check with a fairly steep threshold. Which makes it practically worthless as a transition aid. That's my understanding of the majority of the complaints regarding the DDQ4*, including my own.

Surely you appreciate the difference between "being able to win all the time with minimal effort" and "having no chance to win regardless of skill." Nobody is asking for the former. Nobody likes the latter.

(P.S. The fact that nobody is asking for the former is why you were accused of making/perpetuating a straw man argument earlier in the thread.)

-GK
  • I would love if you broke covers down and they gave you components, and then you mixed components for possible covers, but they didn't spell it out so people would have to experiment. icon_e_biggrin.gif

IE: You break down a cover and it gives you an Avengers Icon, a FF Icon, and Xmen Icon, or a Dark Avengers Icon, or a color tile icon, or a Star Icon, or a Strike/Protect/Attack Icon. Higher rarity covers give more icons.

Then you mix a number of stars, teams, and colors together and they poke out a character that matches what you mixed. IE, You mix 30 stars, 30 Avengers, 30 Blue, and 30 Protect Icons and you could get a 3 star Blue Cap Cover.

Just break down each cover to require a unique combo of the components, and let people start mixing. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I completely agree that it is more satisfying to win at something challenging. I don't think the big complaint from most people is having to use boosts and healthpacks on the DDQ4*, or the challenge of having to play carefully and strategically against tough opponents. In fact I'd wager that most players, like you and I, relish a challenge, love having to play carefully, and are more than willing to use strategy, use good boosts, make multiple attempts, etc. I think the big complaint is that even with your best boosts and extremely careful play and dozens of attempts available, it is practically impossible to complete the DDQ4* node unless you already have a prerequisite number of covers for the required 4* (which of course varies based on the 4* at issue). This isn't a skill barrier, it's a roster check with a fairly steep threshold. Which makes it practically worthless as a transition aid. That's my understanding of the majority of the complaints regarding the DDQ4*, including my own.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen DDQ4* being a bigger enchilada for a fixed 4* cover and the fight that is the current DDQ4* should have been introduced as the DDQ5* or DDQL instead.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    although it'll never reach MAXIMUM EXTREME SATISFACTION of a very challenging (that is, one people fail at) mission would.
    fine line between requiring sound, strategic play and requiring pure luck. G1 and the 4* ddq nodes for low covered/leveled characters are examples of missions that you got lucky or died - very little strategy to it. getting through the ddq 4* node on the 12-15th try leave no feeling of satisfaction, but of only relief that its finally over and you can get onto the more fun aspects of the game.

The problem with having hard missions as opposed to easy missions is that when it gets hard and players start to lose more, it really makes players focus on the flaws of the game, and the reasons they did not win.

And that's not a problem with the 4* DDQ or with Galactus.

That's a problem with Marvel Puzzle Quest

Luck is obviously not as important as skill, but it can play a pretty darn big role in a match. When matches are easy, you are less likely to lose so you're less likely to be screwed over by bad luck. When matches are hard... a bit of bad luck is going to cost you. And as for the covers/level barrier it creates too.... well. That's true for every hurdle in the game in general. Nothing can not be solved with more covers and more levels.

And the problem with that is not "Oh those missions are too hard." It is "You cannot have a truly hard mission in this game at all without those things being a factor."

Which is true. You'll never, ever, ever have a honestly challenging mission in this game without having the (potentially legit) excuse of "But they got the AP they needed and there was nothing I could do!" Which makes people feel that their skill is less involved as it actually is. (Just because Luck is a factor doesn't mean Skill isn't really darn important. Moreso then Luck, even.)

But. I don't want there to be no super hard and challenging missions in MPQ because of that.

And I guess I'd disagree about your feeling of satisfaction.

I had no higher victorious moment then when my 1/1/1 icon_invisiblewoman.png finally took down that overpowered, overscaled icon_quicksilver.png . I also had no greater "Oooooh yousomeofacat" moment then when said Quicksilver got 3 blue matches in a row to trigger his passive against me.

But the satisfaction of finally taking down this huge boss was greater then any top 10, greater then any PVP progression, greater then any other single moment I've ever had in the game.

(And well, taking down icon_squirrelgirl.png felt pretty damn good too.)

And I don't want to lose the chance to have victorys this big because people are angry that this game has not changed from it's down-to-the-core form to have Luck be a non-0 factor.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:

The problem with having hard missions as opposed to easy missions is that when it gets hard and players start to lose more, it really makes players focus on the flaws of the game, and the reasons they did not win.

And that's not a problem with the 4* DDQ or with Galactus.

That's a problem with Marvel Puzzle Quest

Luck is obviously not as important as skill, but it can play a pretty darn big role in a match. When matches are easy, you are less likely to lose so you're less likely to be screwed over by bad luck. When matches are hard... a bit of bad luck is going to cost you. And as for the covers/level barrier it creates too.... well. That's true for every hurdle in the game in general. Nothing can not be solved with more covers and more levels.

And the problem with that is not "Oh those missions are too hard." It is "You cannot have a truly hard mission in this game at all without those things being a factor."

Which is true. You'll never, ever, ever have a honestly challenging mission in this game without having the (potentially legit) excuse of "But they got the AP they needed and there was nothing I could do!" Which makes people feel that their skill is less involved as it actually is. (Just because Luck is a factor doesn't mean Skill isn't really darn important. Moreso then Luck, even.)

But. I don't want there to be no super hard and challenging missions in MPQ because of that.

And I guess I'd disagree about your feeling of satisfaction.

I had no higher victorious moment then when my 1/1/1 icon_invisiblewoman.png finally took down that overpowered, overscaled icon_quicksilver.png . I also had no greater "Oooooh yousomeofacat" moment then when said Quicksilver got 3 blue matches in a row to trigger his passive against me.

But the satisfaction of finally taking down this huge boss was greater then any top 10, greater then any PVP progression, greater then any other single moment I've ever had in the game.

(And well, taking down icon_squirrelgirl.png felt pretty damn good too.)

And I don't want to lose the chance to have victorys this big because people are angry that this game has not changed from it's down-to-the-core form to have Luck be a non-0 factor.

I feel like difficult is possible but it takes creating specific things that take into factor what characters can do.

Issue is galactus 1 and many 4 star DPQ are targeted at the games weaknesses, or eliminating strategies, as opposed to letting the strategies be what they are.

Having a character who needs 20-30 ap who's doing it through matches as opposed to galactic countdown stuff with a high health pool that will only kill 1 character at a time? (say bluetile.png character in first slot down, purpletile.png Slot 2, yellowtile.png Slot 3) with a scaled health of 10K for 1 stars, 15 for 2's, 20 for 3's, 30 for 4's and 60 for 5's.
    difficult at all levels, feasible. long lasting and warranting a reward. Slap a cool down timer of 8 hours on cycle them out weekly. Add 3 iso rewards, a taco, 25 HP, 2 boosts.
    BAM. Reasons to do it every day for all levels of players.

It'd be a constant battle of stealing colors, management, freezing, board manip.

Both challenges so far have aimed at the games weaknesses.

G1- needing a good board on turn 1. Most strategies were talked about in thread and eliminated before g1 begun.
    4* DPD- Normal characters, past their levels and normal damage thresholds (in most cases) against underleveled under-powered characters. Every week a thread is started with people discussing who characters would have trouble taking on 1 on 1.

Making boss versions of these characters with different abilities, if not that far, just different AP costs wouldn't be all that hard.

I think they can do it. I just hope they figure it out sooner then later.
    it will never be luck a 0 factor, but its very easy to make it so that you start with **** luck and shape it yourself.

It takes them seeing the strengths in a modified puzzle quest where characters effect the board, rather then pretending the board isn't there.
  • GurlBYE wrote:
    I feel like difficult is possible but it takes creating specific things that take into factor what characters can do.

Issue is galactus 1 and many 4 star DPQ are targeted at the games weaknesses, or eliminating strategies, as opposed to letting the strategies be what they are.

Having a character who needs 20-30 ap who's doing it through matches as opposed to galactic countdown stuff with a high health pool that will only kill 1 character at a time? (say bluetile.png character in first slot down, purpletile.png Slot 2, yellowtile.png Slot 3) with a scaled health of 10K for 1 stars, 15 for 2's, 20 for 3's, 30 for 4's and 60 for 5's.
    difficult at all levels, feasible. long lasting and warranting a reward. Slap a cool down timer of 8 hours on cycle them out weekly. Add 3 iso rewards, a taco, 25 HP, 2 boosts.
    BAM. Reasons to do it every day for all levels of players.

It'd be a constant battle of stealing colors, management, freezing, board manip.

Both challenges so far have aimed at the games weaknesses.

G1- needing a good board on turn 1. Most strategies were talked about in thread and eliminated before g1 begun.
    4* DPD- Normal characters, past their levels and normal damage thresholds (in most cases) against underleveled under-powered characters. Every week a thread is started with people discussing who characters would have trouble taking on 1 on 1.

Making boss versions of these characters with different abilities, if not that far, just different AP costs wouldn't be all that hard.

I think they can do it. I just hope they figure it out sooner then later.
    it will never be luck a 0 factor, but its very easy to make it so that you start with **** luck and shape it yourself.

It takes them seeing the strengths in a modified puzzle quest where characters effect the board, rather then pretending the board isn't there.

I do think that proposed battle sounds... a bit easy.

Like, I can imagine easily beating it with LCap, by himself, at all levels, as that is a LOT of AP for the AI to have to get and all. And.... it does sound a lot like a Good node, or well, Galactus.

It does remind me of, well, fighting Goons or Bosses, as without a second player making matches, a second player is much less likely to make Cascades, and a player can use some planning skills, making one specific move so that you set up the next big 4 or 5, compared to normal Vs AI play where you try to avoid doing that, and tend to "luck" into getting them yourself.

I do think the issues with 4* Deadpool would apply to any match against a far stronger opponent. The 1vs1 part of it does limit creative strategies, but it also focuses the strategies you CAN do down into more pure AP denial Or Else stuff, and I like that compared to my Every Other Node plan of "get AP for the moves I wanna do. Rainbow covers so pretty much anything works". It's a good plan going in, but less fun to execute, personally.

But...yeah. Making anything in MPQ that you totally intend for most players to fail at because it's hard is pretty damn tough to make a satisfying fight, when Luck is still a factor and thus, can ruin things/can be used as blame. Getting around that's hard.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    So knowing full well that we have no idea what this is going to wind up being, I nonetheless check in on this thread once in a while. The suggestions for things like a crafting/dust/exchange system for unwanted tokens/covers has gotten me wondering, and for the moment I've stopped opening any 1* or 2* tokens and am not selling any unwanted covers. And that's probably gonna get me a big bunch of nothing when whatever it is is revealed, but I still dig the possibility. Anyone else change your habits just to be on the safe side?
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    You know what could be interesting is if they increased max covers.

Keep 5* 13 max but make it

4* 14 max covers
    3* and below 15 covers.

More to collect for everyone and helps lower tiers vs higher ones.