**** Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross) ****

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    edited October 2015
    Hulk's green is his only ability really worth a darn, so it's mandatory at 5.

His red pretty much sucks relative to his green, so he's 3/5/5, and I don't think there's much debate here.

I think you underestimate his ability to generate free AP cascades with a bunch of red.

With the game moving towards much higher match damage (as evidenced by the 5*s and the anticipated boost to the 4*s once 5*s are established), this ability could end up doing a lot of damage and gathering a lot of AP.

Though if I were designing him I would have made it destroy 6 tiles at level 4 and 8 tiles at level 5. It is bad design not to have the power jump above 3 covers for two abilities and not the third.

Either that, or make it so that the ability fires on a % of his current health instead of a fixed number. That way, the longer the fight goes on, the more often the ability fires from weaker and weaker attacks.
  • Buret0
    edited October 2015
    simonsez wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    I can really see Red Hulk being used to power up Iceman. Problem is, his Green is his only attack and it isn't as good as Iceman's...
    The other problem is that they both have purple as a battery power. It's not like RH's green is all that inferior... I think I'd be content to go with that, and not try to use these two together. Too much competition between their abilities for me.

The damage per AP at 9 green is only 309 per character on Hulk. If you assume that there are at least 9 blue tiles on the board when you use Ice's green, then the damage per AP is 455. If all three characters are alive, the damage per AP is 927 and 1365. Ice can max out his damage with 15 blue tiles dealing up to 1769 damage per AP unboosted with three enemies alive (7076 damage per character still alive or 21,228 damage to the enemy team for 12 greentile.png AP). Boosted, I think he maxed out at around 9,200 damage per character (~27,600 damage to the enemy team or 2300 damage per AP).

It is only when you have saved up 18 green AP that Hulk's green is amped up... and even then it still does 407 damage per AP (or less, because it consumes ALL green over 18 without a damage boost). This is the same damage you would deal if there were only 6 blue tiles on the board when you used Ice's green. Given that there are 64 tiles on the board and only 7 possible colors, it should be very rare that Red's green power would ever deal more damage than Ice's. Even boosted Red and unboosted Ice, you are still far more likely to deal more damage per AP with Ice's green... especially given the requirement to have 18 greentile.png AP built up to do max damage per AP.

Since Ice's purple isn't as well covered for most people (I suspect people are going 5/5/3 for the huge damage boost), you could pair the two together to generate the green AP needed to use Whiteout, which is a more efficient use of the green AP.

On D, you will either get some extra blue tiles or syphon green. Either way, it will lead to a decent AoE or a 4 turn stun with the possibility of a 10K nuke.
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    First, im new here, and sorry for my lackluster english, but here is my opinion about this amazing tank i want to have in my roster :

Ok, everyone here is complaining about icon_redhulk.png doing less damage per ap than icon_iceman.png or icon_jeangrey.png ... HOWEVER; are you guys really going to use those two, or any green user at all against icon_redhulk.png?

Both of them, icon_iceman.png and icon_jeangrey.png need 12 greentile.png (4 matches) to use their attacks, however, icon_redhulk.png only need 7 purpletile.png (3 matches) or 2 at best to FULLY negate your greentile.png and detroy your hopes and dreams. If you ever want to use greentile.png at all against icon_redhulk.png, you need to kill HIM first, and for that, you need to be very careful, a single strike tittle and every single match you do will trigger his passive, producing cascades.

I actually love his kit, he looks like an amazing tank, also, he IS the third character having a red passive, an invaluable red passive in a world filled with powerfuls red skills, his passive however, is kinda weak right now, it probably need some boost, like doing flat damage per tittle destroyed (like rocket and groot) or detroy a couple more of titles if it only destroy basic titles.

icon_redhulk.png is a Tank, not a damage dealer, he probably need some kind of boost on his red, but for me, it will do an amazing job doing what he was desing to do: Take damage, get angry, and make your life miserable
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was wondering the other day why he has not the same hitpoints as devil dino, he is a Hulk so he should have the max hitpoints possible, maybe even more. I think he should be the first 4 to have 20k hitpoints.
  • ArcanaMoon wrote:
    First, im new here, and sorry for my lackluster english, but here is my opinion about this amazing tank i want to have in my roster :

Ok, everyone here is complaining about icon_redhulk.png doing less damage per ap than icon_iceman.png or icon_jeangrey.png ... HOWEVER; are you guys really going to use those two, or any green user at all against icon_redhulk.png?

Both of them, icon_iceman.png and icon_jeangrey.png need 12 greentile.png (4 matches) to use their attacks, however, icon_redhulk.png only need 7 purpletile.png (3 matches) or 2 at best to FULLY negate your greentile.png and detroy your hopes and dreams. If you ever want to use greentile.png at all against icon_redhulk.png, you need to kill HIM first, and for that, you need to be very careful, a single strike tittle and every single match you do will trigger his passive, producing cascades.

I actually love his kit, he looks like an amazing tank, also, he IS the third character having a red passive, an invaluable red passive in a world filled with powerfuls red skills, his passive however, is kinda weak right now, it probably need some boost, like doing flat damage per tittle destroyed (like rocket and groot) or detroy a couple more of titles if it only destroy basic titles.

icon_redhulk.png is a Tank, not a damage dealer, he probably need some kind of boost on his red, but for me, it will do an amazing job doing what he was desing to do: Take damage, get angry, and make your life miserable
    I'm going to say I agree with this character not being bad. But making it so that the red works a little bit like groots green sounds kind of ridiculous to me. The move is incredibly easy to proc, and it has the ability to generate cascades. For it to do damage on top of that would be a little bit ridiculous to me.

To be fair, if it did do damage, id probaly just go 5/3/5 and pair him with a strong green user who isn't in the 4* range and feed that character as rulk tanks it all. But right now I'm seeing 3/5/5 and I'm fine with that.
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    I'm going to say I agree with this character not being bad. But making it so that the red works a little bit like groots green sounds kind of ridiculous to me. The move is incredibly easy to proc, and it has the ability to generate cascades. For it to do damage on top of that would be a little bit ridiculous to me.

To be fair, if it did do damage, id probaly just go 5/3/5 and pair him with a strong green user who isn't in the 4* range and feed that character as rulk tanks it all. But right now I'm seeing 3/5/5 and I'm fine with that.

I never said the damage need to be BIG, just a small flat damage, because it allready does damage, it does the title damage, quote:
    Red Hulk's anger burns so hot the air around him threatens to ignite. If Red Hulk is damaged for 342 damage or more, he creates a 1-turn Red Countdown tile which destroys 2 random basic tiles. Does not generate AP

it does not generate ap, but does the title damage however.... and that said, yup, you are right, i doesn´t need to do any kind of damage, if you are lucky an break his colors, you will be doing a decent amount of damage icon_e_smile.gif

Actually, if i get him, i will aim for the 5/3/5 and will use him for tank red and feed and tank green for other green users.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I understand icon_redhulk.png has to be recognizably different from icon_hulk.png but plopping that big red H in the icon looks silly and hilarious.
    It should have been Thunderbolt Ross' mustache (which disappears when he hulks out purely so readers wouldn't guess his identity).
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I tried him out. I've played him through multiple times. I dig him.

It's not that a lot of green is required, or that it drains all green. It's that there are HEAPS of green generators in the game, and his purple almost cuts the time to 7K-All in half.

So if you're close, you use the purple - red combo. Et voila. You killed someone. Maybe a team.
  • Polares
    ronin-san wrote:
    I tried him out. I've played him through multiple times. I dig him.

It's not that a lot of green is required, or that it drains all green. It's that there are HEAPS of green generators in the game, and his purple almost cuts the time to 7K-All in half.

So if you're close, you use the purple - red combo. Et voila. You killed someone. Maybe a team.

Yeah I have tried him a little bit too, and my opinion has changed quite a bit. Purple is the key of this char, if you fire purple fast you can cast green really really fast and as you said, maybe kill a whole team (or damage the whole team really hard). It reminds me a little bit the two punch that is green and purple in JG. When buffed he is going to be a HULK icon_razz.gif

His best build is 3/5/5

Interestingly enough he is his own counter icon_razz.gif (and also iceman counter in a minor degree). You can save purple until the other Hulk gets 12 green and then empty all his green.

AI is not going to play him very well probably...

It is interesting that now purple has become a very powefull color (JG, RH, Xpool, IF purples are really good). SW is a very good partner for all those chars. It is nice that at least Cyclops is so different because last chars are all very good green-purple-X chars (who I field JG, Iceman or RH?)
  • I'm on the fence still...

Since red proc still scales, I have little 'confidence' in it, and trying to "Red Hulk Bombing" will most likely wipe the strike tiles off the board.

The AoE dmg hits hard and is in a color where its easy to get to the 18 AP needed. I mean the more I look at it, its like the devs saw how frequently people pair Hulk with GSBW, and decided to make it one character, instead of creating match 5s which would be JG bait, he just out right makes the AP. His high health also means you WILL get it off...so on defense he's actually going to be pretty good. Unlike Hulk who isn't scary because you can save him for last...if you save Red Hulk for last, you will need to eat HPs - plural.

Comparing it to iceman though...I can't get over the stun. The stun of iceman takes me back to 1*BW, but with some real dmg behind her. It would take true healing for RH to level up with Iceman's stun and AP cost. But that shouldn't take away from him...

High health
    High cascade potential
    Can't ignore
    Red
    Almost guaranteed HP usage unless you are bringing OML & SS to the battle. In which case screw you anyways haha
    - Unreall
  • I can't wait until we have a gauntlet with Hulk/Red Hulk/Patch...
    - Unreall
  • Polares
    I can't wait until we have a gauntlet with Hulk/Red Hulk/Patch...
    - Unreall

Dont give ideas to the devs icon_razz.gif

I am going to love also the Cyclops, Jean, Iceman node.

Ps: I hope we get angel/archangel soon to complete the 5 original x-men
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    - Unreall

Only really 2 colors to deny (G/P, their reds are slow). Iceman with any kind of support would murder that team quickly.

Hulk/Red Hulk/She-Hulk would be way scarier, but still manageable. Hulk/RedHulk/Totally Awesome Hulk will probably be a nightmare.
  • Polares wrote:
    - Unreall

Only really 2 colors to deny (G/P, their reds are slow). Iceman with any kind of support would murder that team quickly.

Hulk/Red Hulk/She-Hulk would be way scarier, but still manageable. Hulk/RedHulk/Totally Awesome Hulk will probably be a nightmare.
    Marinate on it, Patch heals, and both Hulk and Red Hulk trigger screen shake-up if 'hit' really. Sure Iceman could best the team, but that's not a lot of options for 99.999% of the player base sense he isn't even in a token yet, let alone enough time to level him up.

And one hit, just one hit, can lead to Patch getting his green off...and without Loki *as usual*, that would be the end of anything on the board haha.

I am curious about how they handle Bruh-Hulk.
    - Unreall
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    The biggest thing holding back his red is that its based on a countdown tile.
    If the red just popped instantly, he would become an instantly and infinitely more fun character to use, and a great tech choice.
  • Buret0
    - Unreall

Thing is a pretty solid counter. Then you use Ice to stun and AoE the KO.
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    Blahahah wrote:
    The biggest thing holding back his red is that its based on a countdown tile.
    If the red just popped instantly, he would become an instantly and infinitely more fun character to use, and a great tech choice.
    If that happened, your opponents would get the AP from cascades and the tile damage, since it's their turn while the tiles are destroyed. He would be much worse icon_e_smile.gif.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    - Unreall

Marinate on it, Patch heals, and both Hulk and Red Hulk trigger screen shake-up if 'hit' really. Sure Iceman could best the team, but that's not a lot of options for 99.999% of the player base sense he isn't even in a token yet, let alone enough time to level him up.

And one hit, just one hit, can lead to Patch getting his green off...and without Loki *as usual*, that would be the end of anything on the board haha.

I am curious about how they handle Bruh-Hulk.
    - Unreall

In the AI's hands most of the time you're just getting hit by the Clap (10AP vs 9 vs 9).

And yes, Iceman isn't necessarily the option, but there are plenty of stuns around to deal with it.
  • I am running a lvl 200 155 covered RH and LOVING it! Quick work in the PvE, and wrecking in PvP. But that's with SW boosted for the time being...

Thinking long term I want to pair him with my lvl 200 535 covered 4pool. But now, I have to share the purple! That's not a huge deal when I control the characters, but on defense, how do I know what is going to be used by the AI?

Is purple use random? Is it fixed based on a formula? I need help before proceeding!

I'm actually thinking going 553 4pool if RH uses purple. Plus I can force Xenforcer retaliation or have attackers face RH death if they take too long to down him.

Thoughts on my strategy? Also, please help me with understanding AI prioritization.

Thanks!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stormking3 wrote:
    I am running a lvl 200 155 covered RH and LOVING it! Quick work in the PvE, and wrecking in PvP. But that's with SW boosted for the time being...

Thinking long term I want to pair him with my lvl 200 535 covered 4pool. But now, I have to share the purple! That's not a huge deal when I control the characters, but on defense, how do I know what is going to be used by the AI?

Is purple use random? Is it fixed based on a formula? I need help before proceeding!

I'm actually thinking going 553 4pool if RH uses purple. Plus I can force Xenforcer retaliation or have attackers face RH death if they take too long to down him.

Thoughts on my strategy? Also, please help me with understanding AI prioritization.

Thanks!
    It's more or less random. If you have only one ability in a color, the AI will (I assume) fire it as soon as it has enough AP. If you have two abilities and have enough to use the cheaper one, there's a fair chance the AI will save the AP for the more expensive ability (this is checked each turn though, so very expensive abilities will only rarely fire). If you have enough AP to use both, I think the AI just flips a coin.