**** Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross) ****

Options

Comments

• Just to make sure I'm not crazy, unlike Hulk, those look like static values for his red. The problem Hulk has is when scaled, anger rarely triggers, this would ensure that it would go off. even when buffed.

Am I reading that right?

And if so can we PLEASE do this with Hulk...
    - Unreall
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just to make sure I'm not crazy, unlike Hulk, those look like static values for his red. The problem Hulk has is when scaled, anger rarely triggers, this would ensure that it would go off. even when buffed.

Am I reading that right?

- Unreall

The hitpoint threshold increases with level, it was more than that when I beat him in the sim earlier.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    Seems pretty underwhelming. The red would be a lot better if it hit random tiles, not just random basic tiles. And I agree that it sucks having damage be the same if 18 or 30 green AP is used.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Crowl wrote:
    Just to make sure I'm not crazy, unlike Hulk, those look like static values for his red. The problem Hulk has is when scaled, anger rarely triggers, this would ensure that it would go off. even when buffed.

Am I reading that right?

- Unreall

The hitpoint threshold increases with level, it was more than that when I beat him in the sim earlier.

Exactly. As someone in my group pointed out, keeping him underleveled and consistently eating Fist's attack tile could lead to a cascade machine, but most Fist groups don't rely on green, which makes RH's purple underwhelming.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Can we please, please get an un-nerfed X-Force? Please. That green. 9 AP for 2500 to the team? Why is Wolverine's green so, so bad?
  • Crowl
    Options
    Seems pretty underwhelming. The red would be a lot better if it hit random tiles, not just random basic tiles. And I agree that it sucks having damage be the same if 18 or 30 green AP is used.

He seems tough in action, but the numbers do not really compare to Iceman. Even if you are generous and consider their green and purple roughly equivalent it comes down to Iceman's blue vs his red and that seems a mismatch.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What's happened to this game when 22k damage for 18AP is considered "pretty underwhelming"

Hmmm... I guess 5*'s happened...
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I understand icon_redhulk.png has to be recognizably different from icon_hulk.png but plopping that big red H in the icon looks silly and hilarious.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    What's happened to this game when 22k damage for 18AP is considered "pretty underwhelming"

It's not that 22K damage for 18AP is underwhelming (it's actually better than icon_silversurfer.png!) but the "drops your green AP to zero no matter how many excess you had" that rankles. It's tough enough to gather 18 AP of a single color, it's even tougher to gather exactly 18.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

Iceman is what has happened to this 4 Hulk. He can do almost the same damage for 12 AP, Iceman steals red, Hulk green and red is a far superior color in the 4 space and Iceman has another power that can stun and do some serious damage.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's not that 22K damage for 18AP is underwhelming
    Side note, can we please stop adding up AOE dmg and calling it that?

He does 2789 / 7333 AOE dmg, let's call it what it is. If 1 enemy is downed, he doesn't take that extra 7333 dmg and evenly distribute it to the other 2 guys remaining.

He does not do 22k dmg. he does 7333 AOE dmg.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Iceman is what has happened to this 4 Hulk. He can do almost the same damage for 12 AP, Iceman steals red, Hulk green and red is a far superior color in the 4 space and Iceman has another power that can stun and do some serious damage.

The arguement is Red Hulk has 5000 more hit points thus can survive longer to get it. I can burst iceman down before he gets the needed green, red hulk will keep blasting the board when you do and his trigger is low enough to be a problem.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Iceman is what has happened to this 4 Hulk.
    This is making me nostalgic for the days when every new character sucked because they weren't XForce...
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    I understand icon_redhulk.png has to be recognizably different from icon_hulk.png but plopping that big red H in the icon looks silly and hilarious.

My guess is they had to put the H there so that you could tell which hulk was tanking which color by looking at your tile grid.

Also, his AoE does less damage per ap than icon_iceman.png because he self-accelerates the color used to cast it. Think of icon_scarletwitch.png - her AoE does less than half the damage of icon_blackpanther.png and costs more. But in reality, you don't have to make 5 purpletile.png matches to cast it. Many times you don't even have to make 3 because her passive provides the rest.

I think icon_iceman.png is a better character, but icon_redhulk.pngpurpletile.png is better than his. For starters, it drains the enemy of ALL greentile.png regardless of how many covers you have. It's also cheaper. Last, there's no counter play to the ap generation, he always gets his 7. I'm lucky when I make 2 matches out of icon_iceman.pngpurpletile.png. And when I play against him, I can decrease the effectiveness of his purpletile.png by matching bluetile.png .
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

The arguement is Red Hulk has 5000 more hit points thus can survive longer to get it. I can burst iceman down before he gets the needed green, red hulk will keep blasting the board when you do and his trigger is low enough to be a problem.

But Iceman can evitate being slammed by IMHB (stunning him or stealing his red), and red hulk cant. Hulk needs to get 18 AP, iceman just 12. And iceman has the best stun in the game, Hulk can blast the board if he is stunned icon_e_wink.gif

It is not that hulk is bad, but until we get a 4 that is really a monster in green, I prefer iceman.

Ps: It is really unfortunate that green damage is not progressive from 18 Ap to whatever Ap you have ( so you dont lose whatever green Ap you have over 18 )
  • Crowl
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Ps: It is really unfortunate that green damage is not progressive from 18 Ap to whatever Ap you have ( so you dont lose whatever green Ap you have over 18 )

If they didn't want to increase the damage then at least drop the using up the extra AP.
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

But Iceman can evitate being slammed by IMHB (stunning him or stealing his red), and red hulk cant. Hulk needs to get 18 AP, iceman just 12. And iceman has the best stun in the game, Hulk can blast the board if he is stunned icon_e_wink.gif

It is not that hulk is bad, but until we get a 4 that is really a monster in green, I prefer iceman.

Bring back pre-nerf XFW. This will make everyone whale Rulk covers in order to stop the great XF green
    (and as an added bonus XFW will be good again instead of trash!)
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I can really see Red Hulk being used to power up Iceman. Problem is, his Green is his only attack and it isn't as good as Iceman's... so I would actually go 5/5/3 on Iceman and 5/3/5 on Red Hulk. Then pair that with either Scarlet Witch (to get the green and/or blue batteries going) or whatever 4Pool/Jean/HB happens to be boosted that week.

Alternatively, you go 3/5/5 on Red so that you have a use for the green if they take Ice out first.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    I can really see Red Hulk being used to power up Iceman. Problem is, his Green is his only attack and it isn't as good as Iceman's...
    The other problem is that they both have purple as a battery power. It's not like RH's green is all that inferior... I think I'd be content to go with that, and not try to use these two together. Too much competition between their abilities for me.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hulk's green is his only ability really worth a darn, so it's mandatory at 5.

His red pretty much sucks relative to his green, so he's 3/5/5, and I don't think there's much debate here.