MPQ Coming To Consoles!

Comments

• Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those of us who have both a vita and a PS4: will remote play be supported?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally despise it when a company releases a game for $$ then sells you DLC for more $$.

If I pay for a game, I want the whole game. If the game was free and the DLC wasn't, different story.

Won't be buying this game after all.

I waited until Skyrim released the Legendary version that had all the DLC on the disc all included in the purchase price, and on sale. Then it was a complete game, I wasn't baited into having to pay more after paying to play.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    I'm actually quite excited about this... possibly enough to (finally) replace my Xbox360 that was damaged by a lightning strike. It would be nice to finally school my nephew for once... I can't complete with him in Super Smash Bros. or the other twitch-based games he likes.

Finally, something I can pwn him at! icon_e_biggrin.gif

(Do they still say "pwn'? is that still a thing?)
  • If there's content ready to go why not put it in the game and make new content, post-release programmed, as DLC?
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    ShionSinX wrote:
    If there's content ready to go why not put it in the game and make new content, post-release programmed, as DLC?

Because you can't give D3 more of your money if they do that icon_e_wink.gif

How many must-have characters were released after 4thor? Iron Fist would be a must buy for me. Then Hulkbuster, Jean Grey, Iceman..... the potential for profit from DLC is HUGE. Hope they do team packs, like Xmen, Fantastic 4, Avengers, Defenders, etc.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    If there's content ready to go why not put it in the game and make new content, post-release programmed, as DLC?

Because that's not how game development works anymore. The time it takes to "program post-release" is such a long window by the time the DLC releases, player interest in your product has possibly passed and you've missed your window.

And that's not taking into consideration the various testing time frames and when the game is prepped for initial sale. Its highly possible the core game was prepped for release while the DLC was still under testing, and while this means the dlc will be available at the time of launch or soon after, it doesn't mean they were ready at the same time.

And of course, money is a reason too. Game development is not a charity, and publishers/developers are attempting to make money. This means properly leveraging the advantages and disadvantages of digital distribution methods for the best possible result for the company.
  • DuckyV wrote:
    I wish this version was available on Steam as well!

Or on iOS/Android... I'd pay up and convert to the new, non-F2P version in a heart beat. Although that might just be the reason they will never bring it to platforms that already have the F2P version: "Collision of interests". Too many customers jumping off the freemium ship if given the chance. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Coming to consoles? That's crazy! I played this when it just came out and haven't been playing for a while but I'm jumping back in again and it's so different than I remember. My question is will it (the console game) have all of these new features like the Deadpool daily thing as well as alliances and the other newer features?
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Man, had this come out 2 years ago, or maybe even a year ago, I'd probably be all over it, if it was available for Vita or 3DS. After playing for 2 years though I'm already mostly burned out on the gameplay and match 3 games aren't the type of game I enjoy playing sitting in front of the tv on a console.
    For new players though, it definitely sounds like the version to go with. I never could understand how anyone could rationalize the price structure for the current game. Once this comes out, I don't see how anyone could look at paying hundreds of dollars for one maxed character and still think, yeah, this is worth it.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I would have enjoyed playing it on console, but this seems like a version **** way beyond it's asking price. Unless there's some actual meat added to these bones, I won't be interested.
  • Lee T wrote:
    I would have enjoyed playing it on console, but this seems like a version **** way beyond it's asking price. Unless there's some actual meat added to these bones, I won't be interested.

Consider that you're getting a hevily rebalanced version with one free roster slot per character, and easy to obtain covers and EXP that'll let you get a character fully leveled in a much more reasonable timeframe then you would in this version, and it suddenly seems like we're playing the version that is way more **** and stripped down.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    @IceIX do you think we will get these type of pvp events mobile?

I'd love to queue up and play against actual live opponents moblie
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    @IceIX do you think we will get these type of pvp events mobile?

I'd love to queue up and play against actual live opponents moblie
    He already answered this, the answer is basically no. Maybe maybe maybe someday, but it's not being worked on.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    colwag wrote:
    Lee T wrote:

Consider that you're getting a hevily rebalanced version with one free roster slot per character, and easy to obtain covers and EXP that'll let you get a character fully leveled in a much more reasonable timeframe then you would in this version, and it suddenly seems like we're playing the version that is way more **** and stripped down.

With less characters and it seems even less story content than MPQ, not exactly a game I would praise for it's story content already. Which would mean less content than any previous console puzzle quest games.

If you enjoy match3 for it's own sake and marvel characters, then it's probably a good deal but it falls short for me. I'm more interested in environment development (story here) than in usable tools (characters in this setting) so I'm not impressed. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:

Because that's not how game development works anymore. The time it takes to "program post-release" is such a long window by the time the DLC releases, player interest in your product has possibly passed and you've missed your window.

And that's not taking into consideration the various testing time frames and when the game is prepped for initial sale. Its highly possible the core game was prepped for release while the DLC was still under testing, and while this means the dlc will be available at the time of launch or soon after, it doesn't mean they were ready at the same time.

And of course, money is a reason too. Game development is not a charity, and publishers/developers are attempting to make money. This means properly leveraging the advantages and disadvantages of digital distribution methods for the best possible result for the company.

Puzzle Quest 2 was what about £3 on Android? That game has oodles more content than MPQ, no DLC and far greater value for money. You are right and publishers need to make money, I just don't think that the price point is right especially after factoring the cost of DLC. Maybe if the initial price is lower more people may purchase it. $15? I would bet some very squishy parts of my anatomy that it will be £15 in the UK. I just paid £30 for Smash Bros on my 3DS brand new and not on sale and trust me MPQ isn't even half the game content or production value wise. £5 should be absolutely top rate considering the prices of other much better premium games on various digital market places.
  • Linkster79 wrote:

Puzzle Quest 2 was what about £3 on Android? That game has oodles more content than MPQ, no DLC and far greater value for money. You are right and publishers need to make money, I just don't think that the price point is right especially after factoring the cost of DLC. Maybe if the initial price is lower more people may purchase it. $15? I would bet some very squishy parts of my anatomy that it will be £15 in the UK. I just paid £30 for Smash Bros on my 3DS brand new and not on sale and trust me MPQ isn't even half the game content or production value wise. £5 should be absolutely top rate considering the prices of other much better premium games on various digital market places.

For what it's worth, Puzzle Quest 2 is $10 USD on Steam, and likely launched higher.

Heck, I paid more then $20 for Puzzle Quest 1 on DS way back when.

I think the low PQ2 price is more due to "Mobile Games feel like they're worth nothing and nothing sells for more then $5".

It ain't a healthy market. And why MQP is F2P, too. icon_razz.gif
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, Puzzle Quest 2 is soooooo sloooooowwwwww compared to anything else in the series that I've played, even Galactrix (yes, I own Galactrix) that $3 is about all I'd consider it worth.
  • Also, Puzzle Quest 2 is soooooo sloooooowwwwww compared to anything else in the series that I've played, even Galactrix (yes, I own Galactrix) that $3 is about all I'd consider it worth.

Oh god, Galactrix. I got that for 99 cents on Steam and was mad it cost that much once I started playing it.

I'd rather face a hundred highly scaled Hood/Musclex2 nodes again then go back to that.

Even if my dislike was probably due to my own screw ups and mistakes. Like many forms of dislike are.

But yeah, I've always personally felt that MPQ had the best pure gameplay of any of the Puzzle Quest games, with the 3 hero mix up, power balancing, and match damage (compared to having to match Skulls to do damage or whatnot)

Even if it lacks special mode gimmicks, I'd still recommend it to people cause it is just really fun.
  • Drage
    Drage Posts: 1
    icon_e_biggrin.gif personally I am really excited. Can't wait to pick it up. Just to go head to head with the kids and wif
    is going to be fun.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    The only thing that I'm excited about coming to consoles is the possibility to replay all PvE ASSUMING there's no scaling & farming XP like a proper (console) VG. I do miss the story of Dark Reign (though on mobile it's never completed).