Hayek's guide to reaching high PvP progression rewards

Comments

• No, it's not. It's a gameplay/strategy issue for sure. I have a single cover 5* and have no issues scoring 1K minimum and 1300 often.

I find the most important thing about PVP is figuring out when to play. Timing is more than 50% of it to be honest.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    How do 5* characters factor into this? I have a single cover for only one at the moment, and I'm barely able to make 800 - even with shield hopping. Is there a scaling issue?
    A single 5* cover is not a deterrent, event two colors is barely a pause for me (especially in a sea of "JeanBusters"). When I see teams with a single 5* cover, and maybe unbuffed 3 or 4* I hit that with authority! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    skippytx wrote:
    No, it's not. It's a gameplay/strategy issue for sure. I have a single cover 5* and have no issues scoring 1K minimum and 1300 often.

I find the most important thing about PVP is figuring out when to play. Timing is more than 50% of it to be honest.

I gotcha. What's your roster like? I'm transitioning into 3* land with maybe 6 of them around 120.
  • This guide though... I can't thank you enough. I went from a norm of 650 per event to my first 1k progression mark during the army of one. Using a maxed/boosted punisher, a maxed/boosted blade and a maxed 3* daken. It was the nastiest team in terms of lethality I could muster and it did some work.

Though I don't understand cc teams. I understand now to give 10 minutes mercy time, but I don't quite understand how to make one myself.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    The team people see when they queue you up is the last team with which you won a match in the event. To set up a cup cake, you need to win a match with a team that's easy to beat. The simplest way to do that is to save one of your seed teams until you're ready to drop your CC.
  • That actually makes so much sense it blows my mind I never thought to do it like that. Welp. Time to give back to the community now icon_e_biggrin.gif thank you very much for the info
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    I've been playing for 90 days and PvP gets harder with every new event. It used to be easy to reach 300 points in the first 30min, just playing. I was able to climb 500-600 points and even finish top 100 from time to time. Now i'm finishing events without passing 300 points. It's insane. Enemy teams are extremely unbalanced. Unfortunately this guide did not help.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    jgomes32 wrote:
    I've been playing for 90 days and PvP gets harder with every new event. It used to be easy to reach 300 points in the first 30min, just playing. I was able to climb 500-600 points and even finish top 100 from time to time. Now i'm finishing events without passing 300 points. It's insane. Enemy teams are extremely unbalanced. Unfortunately this guide did not help.
    Sounds like you may have graduated from the beginner brackets. It's a bit of a rough road with quite a few bumps in it...
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    jgomes32 wrote:
    Sounds like you may have graduated from the beginner brackets. It's a bit of a rough road with quite a few bumps in it...

Hopefully the new matchmaking will help.
  • guzktgui
    guzktgui Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    I hate pvp, I've read this guide several times but still cannot do it, not when new and much less now with a fully built line up. The best I've done was around 800 without the required character. When I have the required one is even worst.
    I've settled to 300 but I see so many people talking about getting to 1000 that I think it should be possible.
    Im considering starting from scratch to keep my team under leveled and get rid of 4* and 5* because as it is right now I feel I'm not doing better than let's say a year ago.
    Forgot to add, I've never seen a 75 pts. match.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boost. Kill Jean first as quickly as possible. Bring someone who can take a HB fist to the face and keep going.

And remember if the match is worth 65-75 points, losing will only cost a couple of points and some health packs.

Last event I beat 3 or 4 to get above 900 then threw whales at a ridiculously strong team to get to 1k. It isn't easy, and it doesn't always come together, but it's what you have to do to get over the hump.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boost. Kill Jean first as quickly as possible. Bring someone who can take a HB fist to the face and keep going.

And remember if the match is worth 65-75 points, losing will only cost a couple of points and some health packs.

Last event I beat 3 or 4 to get above 900 then threw whales at a ridiculously strong team to get to 1k. It isn't easy, and it doesn't always come together, but it's what you have to do to get over the hump.

My only quibble is that the main cost of a loss while shield hopping isn't points or healthpacks at all: its time. The opportunity cost of wasting a hop match is significant. You only get 2 or 3 per hop and you may lose hundreds points if you try to squeeze in an extra match.
  • Hayek wrote:
    If you're going for placement and not progression, you want to do the opposite of what I mentioned in this guide when looking for a shard. You want to find a lazy shard and you want to join it as late as you possibly can. PvP brackets have 500 people. If you join in the last few hours, there's a chance that a bracket will have just filled up and you will be one of the first few people to join. If that's the case, no only do you fight for placement against people who only have a few hours to climb, but the bracket will end up with 200 or so people. So you only need to be top 25 out of 200 instead of 25 out of 500.
    How do I join a "lazy shard"?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hayek wrote:
    If you're going for placement and not progression, you want to do the opposite of what I mentioned in this guide when looking for a shard. You want to find a lazy shard and you want to join it as late as you possibly can. PvP brackets have 500 people. If you join in the last few hours, there's a chance that a bracket will have just filled up and you will be one of the first few people to join. If that's the case, no only do you fight for placement against people who only have a few hours to climb, but the bracket will end up with 200 or so people. So you only need to be top 25 out of 200 instead of 25 out of 500.
    How do I join a "lazy shard"?
    Trial and error. Scores are a lot higher for certain end times, so you need to try different end times and see what works best for you. It's a gamble, but it can pay off big time when you get lucky.
  • shusheshe
    shusheshe Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2016
    Roster's in the signature. I have pretty much a max covered 3* roster sitting at 140/125. I should be hitting 800 points regularly at this point, if not 1000, right?

But I'm not, I'm hitting around 650-750 each time in PVP. As soon as I get around 600 points, hittable matches with >40 points seem to have all but disappeared. I'm seeing either matches with similar rosters or slightly below or champed 3* rosters (a good 20 levels above mine) at 25-35 points. I'd only consider hitting the latter if the points were good enough as it's a health pack eater. If I find the rare 45 point match, it's a jeanbuster or a fistbuster, which is an automatic skip for me at this point.

I usually join PVP at 30 hours left (either S1 or S3 depending on the end time), climb to around 400 points, then float there until the next day until maybe 8 hours left in the PVP, then climb the rest of the way to 700 before shielding for the rest of the event. So far this nets me a top 100 finish maybe three quarters of the time with minimal HP used on shielding.

Two seasons ago I used to be able to see cupcakes at around 600 points. Not anymore. The only time I found cupcakes this season was during the Howard PVP, and this enabled me to hit 930, my highest score yet.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be joining at the beginning of the event and climbing earlier? Or do I really have to join a line battlechat just to climb to 1000? (I'd considered battlechats only a necessity if you're hitting 1300.) Or is just a matter of more ISO and slowing champing my 3 stars?
  • statnut
    statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I just can not seem to reach 800-1000 with any regularity and I've got a decent roster (maxed out X-Force, 16 championed 3-stars including Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch and Cap and all of my 3 stars are fully covered). I get to around 700, and the smack down comes. Decent, winnable matches become hard to find and frustrating. Hard to transition to four stars when you can't get those rewards that will help you.
  • Heh foolish me thought I could hit 800 with Lev 168 fist, 168 3* Cyclops and Lev 216 Ironman in heavy metal, didn't happen. I made it to 788 and then bam lost 133 points with 3* teams that were 250+. It sucked that I was out of health packs too although I don't think it would have made a diff and some guy hit me 3 times and I couldn't even retaliate -:(
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're struggling to find matches then You need to stop climbing for a while. It means the people above you are shielded (leaving only the 20 point matches for you to see) wait longer and you'll see the higher value matches.

When you have a weaker roster it's better to start the event late climb as high as possible and take what you get. I used to (and still do) late climb a lot as you get the least hits that way.

Try...
    Start at the 8 hours remaining mark

Climb to 600 or so

Wait until 1 hour is left and climb until either event finishes or health packs run out.

You'll hit 800 and usually finish the event with about 600 points or so unshiekded (saving hp)
  • Having a "carry" is incredibly helpful. When I was in 3s-ville, patch was my man. Now iron man 5* holds the front well.
  • Try...
    Start at the 8 hours remaining mark

Climb to 600 or so

Wait until 1 hour is left and climb until either event finishes or health packs run out.

You'll hit 800 and usually finish the event with about 600 points or so unshiekded (saving hp)
    Interesting, I might try this! What placement could I expect with this strategy? Usually I join with 1 hour 15 minutes before the end and fight until the last minute. However, if I get to 700 points with about 10 minutes remaining, I get hit and knocked down for over 100 points. I still end up in top 100 for placement, but that's about it. Maybe I should stop fighting at 600 if there's lots of time left and wait for the last 10 minutes and do 2 last fights?